Total Posts:3|Showing Posts:1-3
Jump to topic:

Avatar inflation online is easy. Why do it?

hatshepsut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 6:47:14 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
It's easy to claim knowledge of Supersymmetry or biblical Hebrew online, but everyone else knows it's phony. Scholars don't come here; they have professional outlets to discuss what interests them. This phenom is reminiscent of the kids who told you they were the state chess champions but turned you down if you asked to play a game. I think here on DDO, it Smells Like Teen Spirit (a Kurt Cobain tune from 1991), but it's done by adults as well - in the job market.

So, the Questions: Why are such resume claims made? How do they express the Human Competitive Spirit? And since whatever ruse they're supposed to represent is so patently obvious, how can they constitute a good strategy for competing?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 7:55:03 AM
At 10/13/2014 6:47:14 AM, hatshepsut wrote:
It's easy to claim knowledge of Supersymmetry or biblical Hebrew online, but everyone else knows it's phony. Scholars don't come here; they have professional outlets to discuss what interests them. This phenom is reminiscent of the kids who told you they were the state chess champions but turned you down if you asked to play a game. I think here on DDO, it Smells Like Teen Spirit (a Kurt Cobain tune from 1991), but it's done by adults as well - in the job market.

You profoundly underestimate the qualities and nature of our membership.

So, the Questions: Why are such resume claims made? How do they express the Human Competitive Spirit? And since whatever ruse they're supposed to represent is so patently obvious, how can they constitute a good strategy for competing?

We have an MIT graduate in engineering, a philosophy professor, at least three law students, and several who are currently pursuing graduate degrees in various fields (at prestigious universities) who are all regular contributors.
Tsar of DDO
hatshepsut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 9:05:11 AM
At 10/13/2014 7:55:03 AM, YYW wrote:

We have an MIT graduate in engineering, a philosophy professor, at least three law students, and several who are currently pursuing graduate degrees in various fields (at prestigious universities) who are all regular contributors.

Given thousands of DDO usernames, I will concede a few faculty could lie among them, like tigers in tall grass. Then, they probably comprise a closed club, using their dashboards to limit their debating circles. If you know how to search for their posts - say, that philosopher - I'd be glad if you shared it. I don't happen to be one of the illustrious, but do like to read.