Jump to topic:

Reliable Sources

VelCrow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 9:04:36 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Often I've read debates where they cite wikipedia or creationist websites which doesn't sound to credible. Any suggestions on how to find proper sites for references?
"Ah....So when god "Taught you" online, did he have a user name like "Darthmaulrules1337", and did he talk in all caps?" ~ Axonly

http://www.debate.org...
vwv
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 9:14:03 PM
At 10/13/2014 9:04:36 PM, VelCrow wrote:
Often I've read debates where they cite wikipedia or creationist websites which doesn't sound to credible. Any suggestions on how to find proper sites for references?

As silly as this sounds, the resources on Wikipedia pages are usually your best bet.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 9:15:01 PM
Wikipedia has many references. Scroll to the bottom of an article, and you will find references to the many arguments and statistics that are mentioned. In addition, you can simply look in Google and find good material, and check the credibility by finding some background information about the author(s) of a book, website, and more.
vwv
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 9:24:03 PM
At 10/13/2014 9:15:01 PM, Mirza wrote:
Wikipedia has many references. Scroll to the bottom of an article, and you will find references to the many arguments and statistics that are mentioned. In addition, you can simply look in Google and find good material, and check the credibility by finding some background information about the author(s) of a book, website, and more.

That is basically what I said... Lol
Daltonian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 9:31:18 PM
Wikipedia -- if the article is complete -- is actually a better bet in terms of reliability and neutrality than many sources you'll find used.

People may tend to dismiss it's usage haphazardly or "because my opponent said I couldn't cite Fox News" rather than appreciating that it's content is very highly neutral for a 2nd hand source.

Directly linking case studies or organizations themselves (ex: APA) is always better than linking to an encyclopedia (which wikipedia is) if you can, though.
F _ C K
All I need is "u", baby
VelCrow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 9:31:22 PM
At 10/13/2014 9:15:01 PM, Mirza wrote:

Noted. Is there any way to refute the credibility of a source?
"Ah....So when god "Taught you" online, did he have a user name like "Darthmaulrules1337", and did he talk in all caps?" ~ Axonly

Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 10:16:31 PM
Try to look for peer-reviewed journals, as primary sources are always more reliable than secondary sources (due to errors in "translation", so to speak). Wikipedia's not bad, especially with its massive list of sources for each article (I'd tend to look there first). It's notoriously hard to find reliable articles with anything politically related, as even journals can have special interest concerns, so try as best you can there.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 11:23:50 PM

I think Wikipedia is pretty credible, actually. At least for online debating where it's veracity can be checked by comparing it to other websites.

As for creationist websites and other sites with ideological agendas, those are usually not acceptable. However, if I say something like "creationists believe X" then it would be fine for me to cite a creationist website, because obviously that website will give a good insight into what creationists think. It all depends on how the sources are used.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 11:30:14 PM
Wikipedia is decent for topics that are kinda general and deal with straightforward evidence, like citing how many people died in a certain battle or just giving a casual definition of an idea. Using Wikipedia routinely in debates that are arguing over something very complex is when it becomes a problem.

Just about any website that seems 'preachy' or is biased towards a particular stance on an issue is usually a bad source, so any website that DOESNT seem preachy or inclined towards a certain position is a good source.

Its usually best to avoid using blogs as well
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2014 12:10:33 PM
Here's the thing. You will probably run into academic studies with people who have opinions behind their studies or are forwarded to an agenda. Nevertheless, they may put forward good research. Everyone has an opinion today, some based on research they found, some before that. Find other research to counter that. It is difficult to say a study is unreliable just because it gives a certain conclusion. Organizations worked and push money for good research.
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...