Jump to topic:

Top three things of DDO

PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 11:17:57 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
The tight knit community of people here. See my sig.

The nuanced, well rounded, and well formed variety of views held by a diverse community.

The high quality debates that can be found on this website.
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Krieg01
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 11:18:06 PM
At 10/13/2014 11:14:09 PM, vwv wrote:
What are the top three things of DDO that make it a superior site for you?

I only have a number 1 that keeps bringing me back all the time, and I think most people can agree that it would probably be the community here on DDO is what makes it superior to other sites.
How come when I hit review it sometimes adds my post without me clicking add post?
Does this happen to other people?

#LEARN TO SPEAK UP
#Cause I can
Learn to use emoticons DDO.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 11:18:59 PM
The community.

Mafia.

YYW.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
vwv
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 11:23:18 PM
At 10/13/2014 11:17:57 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:

The nuanced, well rounded, and well formed variety of views held by a diverse community.

If the community is so diverse, how can you love those so wrong even though other are right?

PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 11:25:09 PM
At 10/13/2014 11:23:18 PM, vwv wrote:

If the community is so diverse, how can you love those so wrong even though other are right?

That is the entire point of a debating community. It is a place for people with different views to come together and bond over a common love for intellectual discourse despite disagreement.

vwv
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 11:27:23 PM
At 10/13/2014 11:25:09 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:

That is the entire point of a debating community. It is a place for people with different views to come together and bond over a common love for intellectual discourse despite disagreement.

If everyone was as open minded as each other, I might understand your argument. However, since I don't understand your argument, I ask what about the people who are close minded and debate only for their viewpoint without ever considering the others (and they exist in this community even as prominent members).
vwv
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 11:28:55 PM
At 10/13/2014 11:18:59 PM, bsh1 wrote:
The community.

Mafia.

What exactly is so great about it?

I looked at the games forum and to me it seems rather childish in theory. There is literally no way to know who is what until it's too late.

YYW.
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 11:31:50 PM
At 10/13/2014 11:27:23 PM, vwv wrote:
At 10/13/2014 11:25:09 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:

If everyone was as open minded as each other, I might understand your argument. However, since I don't understand your argument, I ask what about the people who are close minded and debate only for their viewpoint without ever considering the others (and they exist in this community even as prominent members).

They exist as a tolerated minority that detracts only minimally from the quality of the site. They are tolerated because strictly speaking, close-minded obstinate rationale is not against the rules.

If you posted this thread only for the purpose of tearing down what props we give to our community, then I suggest that you rethink your course of action.

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 11:32:44 PM
At 10/13/2014 11:28:55 PM, vwv wrote:
At 10/13/2014 11:18:59 PM, bsh1 wrote:
The community.

Mafia.

I looked at the games forum and to me it seems rather childish in theory. There is literally no way to know who is what until it's too late.

It presents and interesting psychological challenge. Mafia is a great petri dish for a variety of psychological concepts, and even some mathematical and social concepts. In that sense, it's mentally stimulating and fun.

YYW.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

vwv
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 11:34:53 PM
Mafia.

It presents and interesting psychological challenge. Mafia is a great petri dish for a variety of psychological concepts, and even some mathematical and social concepts. In that sense, it's mentally stimulating and fun.

I am genuinely interested as to which concepts it highlights.

Can you explain them please?

Apart from the fact that people lie, which is not what the game proves as this is just a prerequisite of winning it as scum.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 11:41:25 PM
At 10/13/2014 11:34:53 PM, vwv wrote:
Mafia.

There are too many to list, but anything that deals with group psychology is usually relevant.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

vwv
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 11:42:51 PM
At 10/13/2014 11:41:25 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Mafia.

There are too many to list, but anything that deals with group psychology is usually relevant.

Conforming doesn't save you in mafia though. Also in real life no one is trying to hunt anyone else down in a group, this is only in very extreme circumstances.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 11:45:38 PM
At 10/13/2014 11:42:51 PM, vwv wrote:
Mafia.

Conforming doesn't save you in mafia though. Also in real life no one is trying to hunt anyone else down in a group, this is only in very extreme circumstances.

Actually conforming and participating in group thing go a long way towards survival.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 11:48:23 PM

+1
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 11:48:25 PM
Mafia.

Group psychology is about how people interact in groups. It is not just about conformity (you may be confusing it with groupthink, which does sometimes occur amidst townies or mafia). Mafia is a group of people placed in a unique situation, and so the group dynamics can be extremely interesting.

The psychology of lying is another aspect. You dismissed it, but that doesn't make it any less relevant or interesting.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

vwv
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 11:50:11 PM
At 10/13/2014 11:48:25 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Mafia.

Group psychology is about how people interact in groups. It is not just about conformity (you may be confusing it with groupthink, which does sometimes occur amidst townies or mafia). Mafia is a group of people placed in a unique situation, and so the group dynamics can be extremely interesting.

The psychology of lying is another aspect. You dismissed it, but that doesn't make it any less relevant or interesting.

If I told you that you are a serial killer and then told three other people that one of you four is a serial killer it wouldn't highlight anything about human psychology it would just be a game of luck as to who got eliminated.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 11:52:01 PM
At 10/13/2014 11:50:11 PM, vwv wrote:

If I told you that you are a serial killer and then told three other people that one of you four is a serial killer it wouldn't highlight anything about human psychology it would just be a game of luck as to who got eliminated.

Or, perhaps, you have failed to grasp the game and its nuances. Determining, behaviorally, who is lying is important--a good mafia player, just like a good poker player, reads his adversaries effectively and conceals his affiliation well (if mafia.)
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

vwv
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 11:54:20 PM
At 10/13/2014 11:52:01 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Or, perhaps, you have failed to grasp the game and its nuances. Determining, behaviorally, who is lying is important--a good mafia player, just like a good poker player, reads his adversaries effectively and conceals his affiliation well (if mafia.)

person 1: OMG you are the bad one, 3! I know it you are the scum!

person 2: Ya OOOMG person 3 you are so shady, yo!

person 3: person 2 is buddying person 1, it must be them!

person 4: No person 1 is the bad guy he is accusing person 3 based on nothing!
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 11:56:04 PM
At 10/13/2014 11:54:20 PM, vwv wrote:

person 1: OMG you are the bad one, 3! I know it you are the scum!

person 2: Ya OOOMG person 3 you are so shady, yo!

person 3: person 2 is buddying person 1, it must be them!

person 4: No person 1 is the bad guy he is accusing person 3 based on nothing!

Dude. iz a game. Stahp.

vwv
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 11:56:21 PM

I have played mafia outside of this site, it wasn't as fun as it's made out to be.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 11:56:21 PM
At 10/13/2014 11:54:20 PM, vwv wrote:

Your gross oversimplification of the game only shows your contempt of it and unwillingness to understand.

This conversation is done.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics