Jump to topic:

Will there be a new era/ new culture in DDO

thehumanistpreacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 6:18:16 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
There seems to be a large number of the Old Guard leaving gradually.

A new era appears to be beginning with newer fresher faces taking over the place of the Old Guard and with that maybe a new culture will enter the community.

This is simply speculation but one predicts a new culture will take place in DDO.

This is challenging to predict and define what the next culture will bring but I will base this on what one speculates the new culture will be like.

One predicts the following on what influence the new membership will have on the DDO community but only time will tell.

1.The newer membership seem a lot more hostile to religion then the Old Guard, there seems to be a growing prominence of a type of New Atheism.

2. One also predicts a growing socially liberal presence among the new membership and one predicts the conservative ratio of the site will begin to become less of the mainstream over time.

3. This is a hard one to predict but there will be a higher number of trolls among the community then there currently is.

so in summary I predict the following.

In a years time the DDO community will be ....

1) More Hostile to Religion.
2) More socially Liberal.
3) More populated with Trolls.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 6:26:39 PM
The culture of DDO has already drastically changed with the members who arrived within a year.

There has been a huge increase in libertarian leftists, skepticism, moral nihilism, agnosticism, and atheism in addition to a far more social and young userbase.
Nolite Timere
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 6:39:15 PM
At 10/19/2014 6:18:16 PM, thehumanistpreacher wrote:

Sadly... It makes me want to leave, but I doubt I will.

A new era appears to be beginning with newer fresher faces taking over the place of the Old Guard and with that maybe a new culture will enter the community.

This "new culture" does not look good right now.

This is simply speculation but one predicts a new culture will take place in DDO.

This is challenging to predict and define what the next culture will bring but I will base this on what one speculates the new culture will be like.

One predicts the following on what influence the new membership will have on the DDO community but only time will tell.

1.The newer membership seem a lot more hostile to religion then the Old Guard, there seems to be a growing prominence of a type of New Atheism.

I actually see it differently. I see a lot more theists that do not wish to debate joining DDO. While not debating is fine, these theists tend to try and "preach" on here. This causes some issues, and causes some atheists to seem more hostile.

2. One also predicts a growing socially liberal presence among the new membership and one predicts the conservative ratio of the site will begin to become less of the mainstream over time.

I actually do see this happening, which I have mixed feelings about. I agree with social liberalism, so it is a good thing, but it ruins possible debates.

3. This is a hard one to predict but there will be a higher number of trolls among the community then there currently is.

Just to let everyone know, this point was being sarcastic.

I agree with #3... sadly...
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 7:00:34 PM
This is scary. I'm actually pretty socially liberal myself, but I hate economics. This will severely harm the range of debates I can participate in.
LogicalLunatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 7:07:12 PM

So what you're saying is that this Site will become what it's already been for just about forever?
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 7:07:54 PM
DDO has always been populated with opponents of religion, social libertarians, and trolls. Weird how members come and go, and it seems like the culture of the site is changing, when it isn't really. The only thing that's changed the culture of the site over the years is juggle and its damnable updates.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 7:10:10 PM
At 10/19/2014 7:07:12 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:

So what you're saying is that this Site will become what it's already been for just about forever?

Actually there used to be a VERY strong right libertarian bent here and a significant socially conservative group. The site has been going liberal but it's been going liberal since about 2012...I don't see why thehumanistpreacher or anyone thinks this is a new thing.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 7:18:39 PM
Maybe the new age of conservatives just haven't joined yet.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 7:28:34 PM
You're still young. You don't quite understand time. No matter how long it takes, every cycle repeats itself. The future you have envisioned will never come to pass, as the newbies you have described will become the old guard.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 7:33:18 PM
At 10/19/2014 7:10:10 PM, thett3 wrote:

Actually there used to be a VERY strong right libertarian bent here and a significant socially conservative group. The site has been going liberal but it's been going liberal since about 2012...I don't see why thehumanistpreacher or anyone thinks this is a new thing.

It's for the exact reason you said.... because he has no concept of what the site was before, so he can't use that as a point of reference.

I remember when DDO was further to the right, too. Contradiction, 16k, history genius and company were around...

I'd like to think I contributed in pushing DDO further to the left, too :p
Tsar of DDO
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 7:37:52 PM
At 10/19/2014 7:33:18 PM, YYW wrote:

It's for the exact reason you said.... because he has no concept of what the site was before, so he can't use that as a point of reference.

I remember when DDO was further to the right, too. Contradiction, 16k, history genius and company were around...

Like how is it surprising for the old guard to leave gradually? Who is leaving, anyway? And where are these new atheists? I don't see any...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 7:39:20 PM
At 10/19/2014 7:37:52 PM, thett3 wrote:

Like how is it surprising for the old guard to leave gradually? Who is leaving, anyway? And where are these new atheists? I don't see any...

And don't you just love the way he says stuff, too? "One predicts" and the like... roflmao

This guy is a gas.
Tsar of DDO
LogicalLunatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 7:40:15 PM

This Site is a spawning ground for atheists.
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 7:42:42 PM
At 10/19/2014 7:40:15 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:

No it isn't. There's a significant religious population. I don't know why so many people want to make themselves out to be minorities/victims
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 7:43:32 PM
At 10/19/2014 7:37:52 PM, thett3 wrote:

Really aren't any.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 7:46:07 PM
At 10/19/2014 7:42:42 PM, thett3 wrote:

No it isn't. There's a significant religious population. I don't know why so many people want to make themselves out to be minorities/victims
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 8:17:51 PM

Goddamn it. You're back.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 9:46:12 PM
I can't help but be amused when you speak of the "old gaurd" from a year ago. To be honest DDO has always been more left than right, among active members anyway.

Earliest days I remember had members like beemor, Puck and Tatarize.

And then the gaurd changed to members like Kleptin, Britt, Poe and LM. This was during the wild west days of DDC when voting blocs fought each other.

After that the site began leaning towards ancap ideas with members like cody, j.kenyon and Sieben. At this point juggle had acquired DDO and the president was able to have juggles "ear" and sway the site in the direction his/her party desired, this layed the grounds for political parties to form and they fought it out in the elections.

Not sure what the site membership demographics looks like for actual user stats but the prominent/active majority has almost always been liberal/atheist leaning.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 10:53:26 PM
At 10/19/2014 6:39:15 PM, SNP1 wrote:

Sadly... It makes me want to leave, but I doubt I will.

This "new culture" does not look good right now.

I actually see it differently. I see a lot more theists that do not wish to debate joining DDO. While not debating is fine, these theists tend to try and "preach" on here. This causes some issues, and causes some atheists to seem more hostile.

Those preaching are generally in broadcast mode. Any debate to their views are unwelcome. This would make anyone with a different view "hostile" out of frustation. Dogma in any subject wihout valid reasons is inherently bad for debate. These views happen to involve religion, and atheists are the ones directly affected by it.

I haven't been here long enough to know if this is a new trend, but I assumed this was common to religion and the religion forum. Has it been different in the past?!

I actually do see this happening, which I have mixed feelings about. I agree with social liberalism, so it is a good thing, but it ruins possible debates.

Just to let everyone know, this point was being sarcastic.

There was trolls when I got here, it may be marginally worse now, but I have noticed what seems to be more malicious trolling.

I agree with #3... sadly...
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 10:55:35 PM
Outside of the religious forum, how many atheists have you really found here? Envisage, maybe. Possibly Wylted, if he's an atheist. See? I can't even tell.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 10:57:03 PM

This has got to be the dumbest thing I've seen posted on DDO since... well, your last thread.
Tsar of DDO
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 11:00:24 PM
At 10/19/2014 10:55:35 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
Outside of the religious forum, how many atheists have you really found here? Envisage, maybe. Possibly Wylted, if he's an atheist. See? I can't even tell.

I'm definitely an atheist. I'm jut not preaching to people about it.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 11:03:13 PM

I think the OP is just a nutter...
Tsar of DDO
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 11:04:01 PM
At 10/19/2014 11:03:13 PM, YYW wrote:

I've seen crazier.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 11:04:33 PM
At 10/19/2014 11:00:24 PM, Wylted wrote:

I'm definitely an atheist. I'm jut not preaching to people about it.

Yeah, I thought you were. I just didn't want to assert it in case I was mistaken.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 11:05:00 PM

I thought we knew that already...
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 11:05:59 PM
At 10/19/2014 11:05:00 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

I thought we knew that already...

haha I think we do.
Tsar of DDO
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 11:06:57 PM
Everytime I see a thread about the new guard coming in and ruining DDO, I just assume I'm the new guard and honestly it doesn't feel good. Me and Whiteflame joined on the exact same day and I saw that crap 2 months in. Honestly it hurt my feelings a little and I thought it was silly. I think the site has improved with the presence of a lot of the new faces BOT, machuri or however you spell his name DDD puts effort into providing quality debates, debatability always doe quality debates.

There are a ton of people I'm leaving out and quite honestly these people have got to be super offended seeing how they are having the finger pointed at them and implying they're hurting the site.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 11:06:59 PM
At 10/19/2014 11:04:01 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

I've seen crazier.

Oh sure... I can think of a few who are members of the edeb8 community who would fit that description lol
Tsar of DDO
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 11:10:28 PM

You joined two months ago. What do you know about the 'old guard' and shifts in DDO culture?
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!