Total Posts:17|Showing Posts:1-17
Jump to topic:

How do you unsubscribe to mobile alerts?

Jzyehoshua
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 10:48:12 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
The mobile notification sent an unsubscribe link in a text message that was maybe 300 characters long, impossible to retype. Why this link isn't sent in email so it can be clicked on I have no idea but right now Debate.org is looking like a scam site designed to steal phone numbers and not allow users to unsubscribe. I saw no settings to unsubscribe for mobile phones in profile settings also. If there are not valid unsubscribe options for mobile alerts than this appears to be a fraud/con attempt by Debate.org's parent company, Juggle.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 11:00:48 AM
At 10/21/2014 10:48:12 AM, Jzyehoshua wrote:
The mobile notification sent an unsubscribe link in a text message that was maybe 300 characters long, impossible to retype. Why this link isn't sent in email so it can be clicked on I have no idea but right now Debate.org is looking like a scam site designed to steal phone numbers and not allow users to unsubscribe. I saw no settings to unsubscribe for mobile phones in profile settings also. If there are not valid unsubscribe options for mobile alerts than this appears to be a fraud/con attempt by Debate.org's parent company, Juggle.

I want mobile alerts, how did you sign up for them?
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 11:06:13 AM
At 10/21/2014 11:00:48 AM, Wylted wrote:

^
Jzyehoshua
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 11:26:55 AM
When registering the phone it provides a text message with an unsubscribe link that must be around 200 or 300 characters long. I tried retyping it but it says it's an invalid link. That there is no way to unsubscribe for mobile notifications is ridiculous and suggestive of fraud. What I ended up retyping to unsubscribe from mobile alerts was:

http://email.debate.org...

However, the link does not work. Probably due to a 0 being an O or a 1 being an I or a G being a 6 in there somewhere. Why you'd send such a link through text message makes absolutely no sense unless you're trying to prevent people from being able to unsubscribe.
Jzyehoshua
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 11:30:37 AM
I just checked. That is a 312 character URL and only sent through text message, it was not clickable, and retyping it exactly appears to be the only way to unsubscribe your mobile. That is absolutely ridiculous and infuriating. This is Better Business Bureau-worthy type of garbage. The site is seriously starting to look like a scam designed to get mobile phone numbers and then not let people unsubscribe.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 11:48:55 AM
At 10/21/2014 11:30:37 AM, Jzyehoshua wrote:
I just checked. That is a 312 character URL and only sent through text message, it was not clickable, and retyping it exactly appears to be the only way to unsubscribe your mobile. That is absolutely ridiculous and infuriating. This is Better Business Bureau-worthy type of garbage. The site is seriously starting to look like a scam designed to get mobile phone numbers and then not let people unsubscribe.

There are no advertises on this website, somebody has to pay for it. Quit complaining.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 11:50:49 AM
At 10/21/2014 11:06:13 AM, Cermank wrote:

How did you not get them when you gave your cell number to get voting priviledges?
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 11:53:14 AM

the only alerts they have is email alerts and the only time you need to provide your cell number is to verify your account which is optional. There are no mobile alerts, go to the nearest Asian guy and explain your problem to him so he can solve it for you. If you aren't near any asain guys at the moment PM Defro his runs DDOs tech support and he can help you.
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 11:53:27 AM
At 10/21/2014 11:50:49 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 10/21/2014 11:06:13 AM, Cermank wrote:

How did you not get them when you gave your cell number to get voting priviledges?

My phone service isn't listed so I had to ask Airmax to activate my account after a considerably long time on the site.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 11:57:48 AM

http://www.debate.org...
Jzyehoshua
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 12:14:17 PM
If there are no alerts intended, and mobile really is only used to subscribe for voting privileges, then why include a 312 character "mobile unsubscribe" link in the text message? Wouldn't that be counterintuitive? The implication is that either now or at some point in the future they want to contact your mobile, and want to make a pretense at letting you unsubscribe without actually doing so.
Jzyehoshua
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 12:19:24 PM
At 10/21/2014 11:48:55 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:

There are no advertises on this website, somebody has to pay for it. Quit complaining.

You don't seem to get that taking a cell phone number in the guise of a debate site voting function, and then not allowing unsubscription, is illegal here in Illinois and the broader United States. If advertisements start coming due to this, since there is no viable unsubscribe function, then that would qualify as fraud and be reportable to the Better Business Bureau.
Jzyehoshua
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 12:23:49 PM
I realize sites need to pay for themselves with advertising, but I expect that advertising to be honest. I have no problem with text or banner ads on sites to help pay for the hosting, but mobile ads are extremely irritating, spammish, and should have unsubscribe enabled. If mobile ads occur from this, since the unsubscribe feature does not work, this comes across quite clearly as deceptive and fraudulent.
Jzyehoshua
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 12:27:01 PM
I wanted to make sure there is no alternate unsubscribe feature available before I fully assume the worst, but if the phone starts getting any kind of ads or constant notifications whatsoever, given the lack of an unsubscribe feature, I will be reporting this and taking further action. I do not appreciate this kind of garbage whatsoever. I came here for a debate site, not a fraudulent phone con.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 12:30:27 PM
At 10/21/2014 12:27:01 PM, Jzyehoshua wrote:
I wanted to make sure there is no alternate unsubscribe feature available before I fully assume the worst, but if the phone starts getting any kind of ads or constant notifications whatsoever, given the lack of an unsubscribe feature, I will be reporting this and taking further action. I do not appreciate this kind of garbage whatsoever. I came here for a debate site, not a fraudulent phone con.

Also here is the profile of another Asian guy who could help you with tech support in a pinch http://www.debate.org...
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 6:57:05 PM
At 10/21/2014 12:19:24 PM, Jzyehoshua wrote:

You don't seem to get that taking a cell phone number in the guise of a debate site voting function, and then not allowing unsubscription, is illegal here in Illinois and the broader United States. If advertisements start coming due to this, since there is no viable unsubscribe function, then that would qualify as fraud and be reportable to the Better Business Bureau.

Ok, well, I don't want to think bad things like that about DDO. As a general rule, I give up my cell number to nobody if I can avoid it. Friends, family, and business only. DDO is hobby stuff. I might pay DDO a dollar or two to get voting privileges, but I sure won't give up my phone number because I know what happens when I give it out to businesses which keep it on record. I get no ads or unwanted calls or texts from anybody.....other than a rare one now and then, probably from a random number spammer.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 6:59:58 PM
At 10/21/2014 12:19:24 PM, Jzyehoshua wrote:

Ok, sorry for your problems. It would be better if DDO would take a couple dollars in exchange for voting priviledges. That's why I don't give out my cell number if I can avoid it.