Jump to topic:

*Presidential Update -- Week 18*

bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 12:13:37 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Howdy, folks! It's way past that time of the week again.

A couple housecleaning notes:

I apologize for the lateness of this post. One of my update items needed some more time to get squared away, and doing the same kind of post-not-real-post I did last time seemed dumb. On that note, I'm going to shift the day of my updates. I originally did the first one right after I got elected, and arbitrarily chose Saturday night at midnight my time as my "deadline". I think Sunday night at midnight is a more productive one, since it gives all weekend to wrap up things that need wrapping up. Of course, I say that when I'm posting an update on Tuesday morning for goodness's sake, so we'll see. I hope ya'll don't mind the adjustment.

On to the update, though!

---------------------------------------------

This week, I can announce the beginning of the Forum Ambassador program I talked about previously.

The post on it can be found in the Religion forum here:

http://www.debate.org...

I'm optimistic and excited about this program! Just announcing that it was going to happen in the first place brought somewhat of a lull to the behavior that had been so objectionable, and I have high hopes that the Religion forum can be worth going to again.

-----------------------------------------------

I'm intending on making some changes to my voting initiative. After I talk to whiteflame and airmax about it some, I intend to make a post about it--I'm optimistic I'll be making that post this week.

That said, as always, PM me if your debate is getting down to around 48 hours left without a vote on it. I promised that any voteless debate PMd to me in that time period would get a vote, and I maintain that promise.

------------------------------------------------

A note on moderation:

There are few things that will get you perma-banned quite as fast as impersonating a DDO official or Juggle employee. Don't do it.

This week's site tip is recycled, but at a certain point I was gonna have to do that, amirite? It seemed like a good one to re-post because I recently somehow lost my own signature and had to re-do it.

So this week's Site Tip is:

About signatures! You don't have to actually ADD a post to change your signature. Just go to the "Add a post" section, click on "edit your signature", put what you want, and click to "review". As soon as you do that, the signature change is locked in--you don't have to actually POST the post.

Fallacy Spotlight:

As I said last week, hat tip to Ragnar for the idea.

Since these are short blurbs on the subject, I will be unsurprised if I'm unclear about something, or screw it up entirely. Fallacy discussions often wind up being really long.

But let's start anyway:

If the authority referenced is an authority on the topic under discussion, and if the argument is merely that they are more likely to be correct, then it's not fallacious. It is generally more likely than not the case that an expert in a field's position is correct. Thus, in a contest with no evidence wherein it's the lay person vs. the expert in the field, the expert will tend to be correct. But it's that "No evidence" part that's the stickler.

It's not absolutely the case that experts are always right--even experts can be wrong. So it's fallacious to appeal to authority as though it definitively establishes truth. It's fallacious to use it to dismiss evidence without addressing it. Just because an expert takes an overall position does not mean that a given piece of evidence is necessarily addressed by that position. If A takes position X because of Y and Z, B can't rebut X simply by saying that experts don't agree with it--he's ignoring Y and Z. If, however, experts have addressed Y and Z, then they are contentions in their own right.

A good example of this fault is on the Wikipedia page:

"In 1923, leading American zoologist Theophilus Painter declared based on his findings that humans had 24 pairs of chromosomes. From the 1920s to the 1950s, this continued to be held based on Painter's authority, despite subsequent counts totaling the correct number of 23. Even textbooks with photos clearly showing 23 pairs incorrectly declared the number to be 24 based on the authority of the then-consensus of 24 pairs.

As Robert Matthews said of the event, "Scientists had preferred to bow to authority rather than believe the evidence of their own eyes". As such, their reasoning was an appeal to authority.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Also, and this isn't super common but it does happen: An expert or authority is only an authority in their field. Stephen Hawking is not an expert, for example, in film theory--so his opinion on Frozen is not that of an authority.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com...

Terminology:

Here's a new one I'm adding this week. I doubt I'll do site tips/tricks AND Fallacy Spotlight AND terminology every week, but I figure it gives me more to mix it up with to make these things worth reading to folks. But since this post has already been long, I'm starting with a nice, easy, short one. Terminology will be common debate terms or common terms in logic or philosophy.

This week:

IFF

IFF means "If, and only if".

"If it's raining, I'll carry an umbrella" means that if it's raning you'll carry an umbrella, but that you might carry an umbrella for other reasons, too (Like, if perhaps you are planning on robbing a bank dressed as the Penguin).

"IFF it's raning, I'll carry an umbrella" means that ONLY if it's raining will you carry an umbrella, which precludes your cosplay-bank-robbery (unless it's raining, I suppose).

It means that either BOTH of the conditions are true (it's raining AND umbrella) or BOTH are false (Not raining means no umbrella).

Thus, if I said: "IFF I go out anywhere today, I'm going to the comics shop", I'm saying that I may or may not go out today, but if I DON'T go out today, I'm not going to the comics shop, and if I DO go out today, I'm definitely going to the comics shop. Which is 100% true today.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

As always, PM me or bsh1 with any questions or concerns, and this thread's here for folks to reach out to, as well. It doesn't hurt to repeat that if your debate is at approximately 48 hours left and voteless, send me a PM.

Previous week's update:

http://www.debate.org...
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 12:30:05 PM
Haven't been paying too much attention lately, so sorry if you've already addressed this- but do you think something could be done about the relentless spam lately? Its getting annoying and spoils the first impression for people who log on for the first time.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 12:31:23 PM
At 10/21/2014 12:30:05 PM, Cermank wrote:
Haven't been paying too much attention lately, so sorry if you've already addressed this- but do you think something could be done about the relentless spam lately? Its getting annoying and spoils the first impression for people who log on for the first time.

Part of the problem is that any solid fix is going to have to come from Juggle. The mods can do what they do, but they can't always get to it as fast as the spammers can spam.
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 12:34:39 PM
At 10/21/2014 12:31:23 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

Part of the problem is that any solid fix is going to have to come from Juggle. The mods can do what they do, but they can't always get to it as fast as the spammers can spam.

True. Can we expect Juggle to do something about this soon?
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 12:44:45 PM
At 10/21/2014 12:34:39 PM, Cermank wrote:

Generally speaking I can't confirm what they might be working on.
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 12:47:23 PM
At 10/21/2014 12:44:45 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

|:/

well i hope they are
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 1:14:53 PM

We are going to start sacrificing goats to Juggle so they will implement common sense solutions to massive problems in a reasonable amount of time. Is the blood of goats good or does juggle prefer virgins?
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 1:17:57 PM
At 10/21/2014 1:14:53 PM, Wylted wrote:

We are going to start sacrificing goats to Juggle so they will implement common sense solutions to massive problems in a reasonable amount of time. Is the blood of goats good or does juggle prefer virgins?

Unfortunately, neither the blood of goats nor virgins affects lines of site code and thus, they both are unlikely to be effective.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 1:21:24 PM
Whatever, I'm getting ahold of BOT who apparently has a knack for making virgins do things they typically wouldn't and sacrificing virgins anyway. It may not help but it certainly won't hurt.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 1:40:19 PM
At 10/21/2014 1:21:24 PM, Wylted wrote:
Whatever, I'm getting ahold of BOT who apparently has a knack for making virgins do things they typically wouldn't

LMFAO

and sacrificing virgins anyway. It may not help but it certainly won't hurt.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 2:31:38 PM
@Blade, you gave us that tip already about sigs... <3
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 2:50:53 PM
At 10/21/2014 2:31:38 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

Ahem:

"This week's site tip is recycled, but at a certain point I was gonna have to do that, amirite? It seemed like a good one to re-post because I recently somehow lost my own signature and had to re-do it."
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 2:51:47 PM
At 10/21/2014 2:50:53 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

Ahem:

"This week's site tip is recycled, but at a certain point I was gonna have to do that, amirite? It seemed like a good one to re-post because I recently somehow lost my own signature and had to re-do it."

http://fc04.deviantart.net...
I skimmed. XD
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 3:06:16 PM
At 10/21/2014 2:51:47 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 10/21/2014 2:50:53 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

Ahem:

http://fc04.deviantart.net...
I skimmed. XD

Meh, that's more than most people do, so no worries.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 3:30:31 PM
Good updated. Tackling the religion forum is important.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 3:51:27 PM
At 10/21/2014 3:34:15 PM, 9spaceking wrote:
cool.

Happy 3000th post!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...