Jump to topic:

Why is Forum Spam annoying?

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 3:38:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Other than the Moderator (who constantly is deleting it), I do not think I understand why forum spam is so hated.
A large "torrent of spam" which would force a thread created one hour ago onto the third page would only be a minor inconvenience, as it would only take a few seconds to locate the thread and bump it back onto the first page.
When STALIN was spamming, I did not find it particularly annoying, as it was but a slight inconvenience.
Massive amounts of spam are more problematic, but even then there is no "torrent of spam" large enough to send a new thread back ten or more pages.
The spam faced by this Site is not a major issue. However, though my account was created recently, I have a good enough understanding of this Site to offer a solution to the spam.
Perhaps a group of users could volunteer to bump away the spam by restoring to the first page that which was on the first page prior to that particular wave of spam?
I understand completely if nobody wants to listen to the advice of a newer member, but I feel that this could help.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 5:36:11 PM
It's not a matter of bumping threads, but rather a matter of public appearance. Would you rather engage in discussion on a forum board that's being bombarded by pages of spam on a daily basis or a forum board that no matter when you log in you see discussions happening right on the front page?

The amount is irrelevant to the need to stop the spam.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 6:03:50 PM
At 10/21/2014 3:38:44 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Other than the Moderator (who constantly is deleting it), I do not think I understand why forum spam is so hated.
A large "torrent of spam" which would force a thread created one hour ago onto the third page would only be a minor inconvenience, as it would only take a few seconds to locate the thread and bump it back onto the first page.
When STALIN was spamming, I did not find it particularly annoying, as it was but a slight inconvenience.
Massive amounts of spam are more problematic, but even then there is no "torrent of spam" large enough to send a new thread back ten or more pages.
The spam faced by this Site is not a major issue. However, though my account was created recently, I have a good enough understanding of this Site to offer a solution to the spam.
Perhaps a group of users could volunteer to bump away the spam by restoring to the first page that which was on the first page prior to that particular wave of spam?
I understand completely if nobody wants to listen to the advice of a newer member, but I feel that this could help.

You joined literally a day ago. How do you know that STALIN was spamming?
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 6:10:06 PM

Hello STALIN.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 6:32:57 PM
At 10/21/2014 6:03:50 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:

Perhaps you should consider the possibility that I've been watching Debate.org for a fairly long amount of time before I made an account.

The DDO Blog:

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 6:33:49 PM
At 10/21/2014 6:10:06 PM, Subutai wrote:

Hello STALIN.

Wouldn't Airmax have closed this account by now if I were STALIN?

The DDO Blog:

PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 6:35:24 PM
At 10/21/2014 6:32:57 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Perhaps you should consider the possibility that I've been watching Debate.org for a fairly long amount of time before I made an account.

Funny thing. Someone just said this exact thing to me no more than a week ago. Guess who that person turned out to be?

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 6:36:18 PM
At 10/21/2014 6:35:24 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:

Funny thing. Someone just said this exact thing to me no more than a week ago. Guess who that person turned out to be?

Was it STALIN?

The DDO Blog:

PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 6:37:25 PM
At 10/21/2014 6:36:18 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Was it STALIN?

No. It was rational madman.

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 6:37:40 PM
At 10/21/2014 5:36:11 PM, Zaradi wrote:
It's not a matter of bumping threads, but rather a matter of public appearance. Would you rather engage in discussion on a forum board that's being bombarded by pages of spam on a daily basis or a forum board that no matter when you log in you see discussions happening right on the front page?

I agree, but at the same time sometimes some of the users become abnormally upset over spam, even when it isn't a large amount.

The DDO Blog:

Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 6:40:17 PM
At 10/21/2014 6:37:40 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 10/21/2014 5:36:11 PM, Zaradi wrote:

I agree, but at the same time sometimes some of the users become abnormally upset over spam, even when it isn't a large amount.

So you agree, but then say that which is the exact opposite of what I said.

The amount is irrelevant to the need to stop it.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 6:42:32 PM
At 10/21/2014 6:37:25 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:

Was it STALIN?

I see. Well, what can I do to prove to you that I'm not STALIN or Rational Madman or some other former troll?

The DDO Blog:

PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 6:44:12 PM
At 10/21/2014 6:42:32 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Was it STALIN?

I see. Well, what can I do to prove to you that I'm not STALIN or Rational Madman or some other former troll?

You dont really have to. So long as you contribute meaningfully to the community and dont turn out to be downright toxic, I dont really care if you are or are not.

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 6:47:12 PM
At 10/21/2014 6:44:12 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:

Was it STALIN?

You dont really have to. So long as you contribute meaningfully to the community and dont turn out to be downright toxic, I dont really care if you are or are not.

Okay. Thank you for the benefit of the doubt. I am not entirely sure what counts as "toxic", but I have no intention of spamming or trolling (maybe a little bit every now and then, but you get what I mean, right?).

The DDO Blog:

PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 6:59:00 PM
At 10/21/2014 6:47:12 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 10/21/2014 6:44:12 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:

Was it STALIN?

Okay. Thank you for the benefit of the doubt. I am not entirely sure what counts as "toxic", but I have no intention of spamming or trolling (maybe a little bit every now and then, but you get what I mean, right?).

No problem with occasional trolling. Everyone does it sometimes. being "toxic" means constantly engaging in behavior that is deliberately disruptive and intentionally irritating to a large number of members.

Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 7:17:47 PM

Lmao, I was just gonna say... it seems like someone else said that exact same thing like a week ago.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 7:37:32 PM
At 10/21/2014 7:17:47 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Lmao, I was just gonna say... it seems like someone else said that exact same thing like a week ago.

I suppose it does make a convenient excuse for unpopular members trying to come back under another account.

The DDO Blog:

Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 7:39:53 PM
At 10/21/2014 7:37:32 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 10/21/2014 7:17:47 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

I suppose it does make a convenient excuse for unpopular members trying to come back under another account.

Indeed, unfortunately it isn't very original anymore. Which actually might harm those who mean it truthfully. It's hard to verify either way.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 7:44:50 PM
At 10/21/2014 5:45:43 PM, RevNge wrote:
http://33.media.tumblr.com...

OMGUS YOUR SIG XD

*DIES*
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 8:02:55 PM
At 10/21/2014 7:44:50 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 10/21/2014 5:45:43 PM, RevNge wrote:
http://33.media.tumblr.com...

OMGUS YOUR SIG XD

*DIES*

o3o
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 8:59:14 PM
Spam is spam. It annoys people, no matter the quantity it comes in.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King