Jump to topic:

Response Format

Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 8:20:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Some members, when replying to a post, have a tendency to quote everything someone said, in spite of the fact that only a fraction of it is being responded to. This is fine if the quoted text is not of a large quantity. When quoting at least a few thousands of characters of a comment, and you only happen to reply to a fraction, then this makes a discussion and thread more inconvenient and bothersome to follow. Delete what is completely irrelevant to your response. Thanks.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 8:22:03 PM
At 10/21/2014 8:20:39 PM, Mirza wrote:
Some members, when replying to a post, have a tendency to quote everything someone said, in spite of the fact that only a fraction of it is being responded to. This is fine if the quoted text is not of a large quantity. When quoting at least a few thousands of characters of a comment, and you only happen to reply to a fraction, then this makes a discussion and thread more inconvenient and bothersome to follow. Delete what is completely irrelevant to your response. Thanks.
My work here is, finally, done.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 8:24:17 PM
At 10/21/2014 8:22:03 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 8:26:56 PM
At 10/21/2014 8:24:55 PM, Mirza wrote:
Hah, good ones!

It was in agreement.
I wholeheartedly agree; however, I can easily see that being a joke response, too.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 8:28:12 PM
At 10/21/2014 8:26:56 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
It was in agreement.
I wholeheartedly agree; however, I can easily see that being a joke response, too.
I pondered for a little while, thinking it could be both. Glad you agree, though.
Krieg01
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 8:35:33 PM
Is it really that annoying, I am one of the members that do this all the time.
I do see how this would be annoying when you scroll down through threads though and I do respect that.

I wholeheartedly agree with what you have said although I do believe members also have a right to choose whether they wish to follow what you have proposed, but after saying it aloud the newer members will most likely annoy you by responding and doing the opposite of what you have said.
How come when I hit review it sometimes adds my post without me clicking add post?
Does this happen to other people?

#LEARN TO SPEAK UP
#Cause I can
Learn to use emoticons DDO.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 8:39:00 PM
At 10/21/2014 8:35:33 PM, Krieg01 wrote:
I do see how this would be annoying when you scroll down through threads though and I do respect that.

I wholeheartedly agree with what you have said although I do believe members also have a right to choose whether they wish to follow what you have proposed, but after saying it aloud the newer members will most likely annoy you by responding and doing the opposite of what you have said.
Indeed, everyone can reply in the format they want; using italic and underlined text, if they desire so. I am assured, however, that most are bothered by the very inconvenient feeling that occurs when you attempt to follow a discussion, but realize you are looking for a needle in a haystack. One does oneself a favour by using a proper format.
Krieg01
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 8:44:25 PM
At 10/21/2014 8:39:00 PM, Mirza wrote:
Indeed, everyone can reply in the format they want; using italic and underlined text, if they desire so. I am assured, however, that most are bothered by the very inconvenient feeling that occurs when you attempt to follow a discussion, but realize you are looking for a needle in a haystack. One does oneself a favour by using a proper format.

That makes sense, I also feel that way about posts sometimes until I realise that I do it as well, me personally I don't mind having to scroll through all of the junk to find the important parts of the convo, but I guest due to the responses in this thread that some people do mind and with that said I guess I will have to try to follow this advice.
How come when I hit review it sometimes adds my post without me clicking add post?

#LEARN TO SPEAK UP
#Cause I can
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 8:47:29 PM
At 10/21/2014 8:35:33 PM, Krieg01 wrote:

It's a matter of courtesy for those who might want to read the forum. The forum is not just a conversation between two people.

Sure, you can respond how you wish, but, really, is RESPONDING IN ALL CAPS REALLY THAT ANNOYING? Or one big hunking block of text with little punctuation?
It is akin to people who yell when they talk to you. It's not fun to be around, unless you are part of it directly.
Krieg01
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 8:58:59 PM
At 10/21/2014 8:47:29 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
It's a matter of courtesy for those who might want to read the forum. The forum is not just a conversation between two people.

Sure, you can respond how you wish, but, really, is RESPONDING IN ALL CAPS REALLY THAT ANNOYING? Or one big hunking block of text with little punctuation?
It is akin to people who yell when they talk to you. It's not fun to be around, unless you are part of it directly.

I understand that the forum is not a conversation between two, it is a conversation that anybody can be a part of, so there would be multiple conversations ongoing, which is bound to have people contributing from many different way and values which would directly and indirectly affect the way they word and sound in the way they write and depict arguments and conversations.

This should be known that some people on this site will be writing in all caps or all lowercase and no punctuation because that is all they know, and with the younger userbase coming on too DDO this is going to get out of hand.

I do realise that people may be annoyed at all of this but it is going to continue when more people come onto DDO and the moderators won't be able to stop all of it, so you will have to learn to put up with it to a degree. I understand that it is not very courteous or polite to write in all caps as basic knowledge makes you think they are yelling etc. but a younger userbase would not recognise these cues and will do it all the time.

What you are saying in your post is that people need to go back to school and learn proper spelling & grammar, punctuation etc. and that is not true they just need to understand common internet punctuation which is different to proper English.

#LEARN TO SPEAK UP
#Cause I can
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 9:04:35 PM
At 10/21/2014 8:58:59 PM, Krieg01 wrote:

This isn't an issue for moderators, it's just a request made by a user.

What you are saying in your post is that people need to go back to school and learn proper spelling & grammar, punctuation etc. and that is not true they just need to understand common internet punctuation which is different to proper English.
No, what I was trying to show is that there is an etiquette, and while people can ignore it(or be ignorant of it), and respond as they wish. And, people can respond in kind by telling them not to do that, because it is annoying.
Krieg01
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 9:11:42 PM
At 10/21/2014 9:04:35 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

This isn't an issue for moderators, it's just a request made by a user.

No, what I was trying to show is that there is an etiquette, and while people can ignore it(or be ignorant of it), and respond as they wish. And, people can respond in kind by telling them not to do that, because it is annoying.

"This isn't an issue for moderators, it's just a request made by a user."
In response to this I was regarding what would happen in future times with the new younger userbase joining DDO, where this would happen a lot more and eventually people would see this as clutter and eventually spam.

#LEARN TO SPEAK UP
#Cause I can
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 10:28:52 PM

I understand that the forum is not a conversation between two, it is a conversation that anybody can be a part of, so there would be multiple conversations ongoing, which is bound to have people contributing from many different way and values which would directly and indirectly affect the way they word and sound in the way they write and depict arguments and conversations.

This should be known that some people on this site will be writing in all caps or all lowercase and no punctuation because that is all they know, and with the younger userbase coming on too DDO this is going to get out of hand.

I do realise that people may be annoyed at all of this but it is going to continue when more people come onto DDO and the moderators won't be able to stop all of it, so you will have to learn to put up with it to a degree. I understand that it is not very courteous or polite to write in all caps as basic knowledge makes you think they are yelling etc. but a younger userbase would not recognise these cues and will do it all the time.

hmm
Krieg01
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 10:41:25 PM
At 10/21/2014 10:28:52 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

hmm

"Hmm", is there something wrong with what I have said?

#LEARN TO SPEAK UP
#Cause I can
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 10:43:16 PM
At 10/21/2014 10:41:25 PM, Krieg01 wrote:

hmm

I just felt the need to ponder your post by quoting the entire thing.
Krieg01
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 10:44:23 PM
At 10/21/2014 10:43:16 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 10/21/2014 10:41:25 PM, Krieg01 wrote:

hmm

I just felt the need to ponder your post by quoting the entire thing.

Well then, sorry to interrupt... Ponder away.

#LEARN TO SPEAK UP
#Cause I can
UchihaMadara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 10:49:23 PM
a fraction

For those of us who primarily access the site via cellular device, it's kinda hard... :/
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 12:30:00 AM
At 10/21/2014 10:49:23 PM, UchihaMadara wrote:
a fraction

For those of us who primarily access the site via cellular device, it's kinda hard... :/

This ^
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 12:37:08 AM
At 10/22/2014 12:30:00 AM, Zaradi wrote:
a fraction

This ^
I didn't think of that. I understand that in this case, it would be difficult to delete unnecessary space-consuming paragraphs. However, most members, I believe, use a computer when accessing the site.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 12:43:46 AM
At 10/22/2014 12:37:08 AM, Mirza wrote:
At 10/22/2014 12:30:00 AM, Zaradi wrote:
a fraction

This ^
I didn't think of that. I understand that in this case, it would be difficult to delete unnecessary space-consuming paragraphs. However, most members, I believe, use a computer when accessing the site.

True, and for those people who are on from the computer you have a valid point. But, for example, when I'm at work and don't have access to my computer and can only access DDO from my phone, it's much simpler to just hit quote and quote everything.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 12:45:52 AM
At 10/22/2014 12:43:46 AM, Zaradi wrote:
True, and for those people who are on from the computer you have a valid point. But, for example, when I'm at work and don't have access to my computer and can only access DDO from my phone, it's much simpler to just hit quote and quote everything.
That's fair.
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 11:00:22 AM
Delete what is completely irrelevant to your response. Thanks.
I second (third, forth? whatever it's up to) this, and I would also advise putting your text onto the very next line... After about three quotes of the same text, those empty lines start adding up.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
Daktoria
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2015 8:58:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago

The formatting on this forum is awful, and incredibly rare. How many forums out there use the colon system this forum uses for quoting text?

It's also awkward when trying to maintain returns between lines and keeping sections together. It's neither automated, nor clear since you have to manually keep track of every line you want to quote.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 4:55:43 PM
At 4/13/2015 8:58:05 PM, Daktoria wrote:
The formatting on this forum is awful, and incredibly rare. How many forums out there use the colon system this forum uses for quoting text?
I agree it is. I still think those using PC to respond should sort out the formatting. It is completely amateurish to respond to one line and still leave a bunch of text behind.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 6:19:02 PM
I sometimes like it. I am just lazy so I just do whatever
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 8:07:52 PM
At 4/14/2015 6:19:02 PM, 16kadams wrote:
I sometimes like it. I am just lazy so I just do whatever
That's fine; however, some people will just refuse to read conversations when there is too much clutter; I am often one of them.