Total Posts:194|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Should "Humanism" be a religion option?

bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 9:12:28 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
THP broached the subject of representation for humanists in the Religion Forum on my post regarding Ambassadors.

He believes that "humanist" should be a religious option in DDO. I offered to make a thread in which we can have a community discussion on the subject. So I'll keep it short and open the floor to opinions on the matter.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
YYW
Posts: 36,389
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 9:13:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/21/2014 9:12:28 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
THP broached the subject of representation for humanists in the Religion Forum on my post regarding Ambassadors.

He believes that "humanist" should be a religious option in DDO. I offered to make a thread in which we can have a community discussion on the subject. So I'll keep it short and open the floor to opinions on the matter.

Humanism is not a religion. No.
Tsar of DDO
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 9:22:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/21/2014 9:20:31 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
It doesn't sound like a religion.
What is it?

http://en.wikipedia.org...

While themes are common, to a large extent it depends on who you ask.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 9:28:40 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/21/2014 9:22:55 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 10/21/2014 9:20:31 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
It doesn't sound like a religion.
What is it?

http://en.wikipedia.org...

While themes are common, to a large extent it depends on who you ask.

Looks almost like objectivism.
I'd say no, as it isn't a religion, but a philosophy, and I don't see any other philosophies listed, like objectivism.
My work here is, finally, done.
xXCryptoXx
Posts: 5,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 9:30:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
What reason would we have to believe it is a religion? It seems quite blatantly just to be a philosophical stance.
Nolite Timere
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 9:32:08 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/21/2014 9:28:40 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 10/21/2014 9:22:55 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 10/21/2014 9:20:31 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
It doesn't sound like a religion.
What is it?

http://en.wikipedia.org...

While themes are common, to a large extent it depends on who you ask.

Looks almost like objectivism.
I'd say no, as it isn't a religion, but a philosophy, and I don't see any other philosophies listed, like objectivism.

http://www.atlassociety.org...
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 9:33:22 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
No. THP himself identifies as atheist. And secular "religion" is an oxymoron. Secular humanism is a philosophy.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
SNP1
Posts: 2,406
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 9:36:43 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/21/2014 9:12:28 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
THP broached the subject of representation for humanists in the Religion Forum on my post regarding Ambassadors.

He believes that "humanist" should be a religious option in DDO. I offered to make a thread in which we can have a community discussion on the subject. So I'll keep it short and open the floor to opinions on the matter.

It is a philosophical position, not a religious one. To include it as a religion would open the doors to nearly any philosophical position to be considered a religion.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 9:42:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/21/2014 9:13:07 PM, YYW wrote:
At 10/21/2014 9:12:28 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
THP broached the subject of representation for humanists in the Religion Forum on my post regarding Ambassadors.

He believes that "humanist" should be a religious option in DDO. I offered to make a thread in which we can have a community discussion on the subject. So I'll keep it short and open the floor to opinions on the matter.

Humanism is not a religion. No.

Neither is atheism, but it's an option. The question to ask is this: would having humanism as a religious option be useful.
YYW
Posts: 36,389
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 9:47:57 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/21/2014 9:42:18 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 10/21/2014 9:13:07 PM, YYW wrote:
At 10/21/2014 9:12:28 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
THP broached the subject of representation for humanists in the Religion Forum on my post regarding Ambassadors.

He believes that "humanist" should be a religious option in DDO. I offered to make a thread in which we can have a community discussion on the subject. So I'll keep it short and open the floor to opinions on the matter.

Humanism is not a religion. No.

Neither is atheism, but it's an option.

"None" should be the option.

The question to ask is this: would having humanism as a religious option be useful.

No.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,389
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 9:49:35 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/21/2014 9:30:58 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
What reason would we have to believe it is a religion?

Some noob says so... really compelling case, right? lol

It seems quite blatantly just to be a philosophical stance.

That's because it is! lol... Granted, you're smarter than most kids your age probably are, but I don't think that's a hard concept for anyone to grasp...
Tsar of DDO
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Posts: 2,744
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 9:50:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/21/2014 9:12:28 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
THP broached the subject of representation for humanists in the Religion Forum on my post regarding Ambassadors.

He believes that "humanist" should be a religious option in DDO. I offered to make a thread in which we can have a community discussion on the subject. So I'll keep it short and open the floor to opinions on the matter.

You could have a hundred different people from different religions. As long as five of them act indisciminately, five is more than enough. A hundred is not too many if they execute justice equally for the popular person as well as the unpopular person. If you start trying to rule out what the Bible says about Hell, sin, God, death, eternal life, and Jesus Christ, what good is the religious forum?
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 9:51:51 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/21/2014 9:49:35 PM, YYW wrote:
At 10/21/2014 9:30:58 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
What reason would we have to believe it is a religion?

Some noob says so... really compelling case, right? lol

It seems quite blatantly just to be a philosophical stance.

That's because it is! lol... Granted, you're smarter than most kids your age probably are, but I don't think that's a hard concept for anyone to grasp...

Of course it is. That's not necessarily relevant though.
YYW
Posts: 36,389
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 9:54:47 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/21/2014 9:51:51 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 10/21/2014 9:49:35 PM, YYW wrote:
At 10/21/2014 9:30:58 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
What reason would we have to believe it is a religion?

Some noob says so... really compelling case, right? lol

It seems quite blatantly just to be a philosophical stance.

That's because it is! lol... Granted, you're smarter than most kids your age probably are, but I don't think that's a hard concept for anyone to grasp...

Of course it is. That's not necessarily relevant though.

Indeed, "religion" and "philosophy" are not mutually exclusive... but all not philosophy is religion.
Tsar of DDO
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 10:13:57 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
In response to the OP: no.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Atheist-Independent
Posts: 776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 11:13:20 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Humanism and Christian Humanism are two different concepts. Christian humanism utilizes humanist beliefs, however in a way so that they parallel with the belief in god. In other words, they use humanism to "prove" the existence of god. I don't know if they still exist, however, because they mainly started popping up in the 16th century.
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,859
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 11:16:47 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
You want to know what should be options? Dogeism and the Cate Heresy.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Atheist-Independent
Posts: 776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 11:17:50 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/21/2014 11:16:47 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
You want to know what should be options? Dogeism and the Cate Heresy.

Seriously?
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,859
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 11:19:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/21/2014 11:17:50 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
At 10/21/2014 11:16:47 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
You want to know what should be options? Dogeism and the Cate Heresy.

Seriously?

Yeah, or do you think it should just be Dogeism? I mean, Cate has some cult followers, but the Doge zealots are legion for they are many.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Atheist-Independent
Posts: 776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 11:20:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/21/2014 11:19:07 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 10/21/2014 11:17:50 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
At 10/21/2014 11:16:47 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
You want to know what should be options? Dogeism and the Cate Heresy.

Seriously?

Yeah, or do you think it should just be Dogeism? I mean, Cate has some cult followers, but the Doge zealots are legion for they are many.

We must have equal representation of all religious groups. While I cannot tolerate Cate heretics, they deserve to be mentioned.
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,859
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 11:20:41 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/21/2014 11:20:14 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
At 10/21/2014 11:19:07 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 10/21/2014 11:17:50 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
At 10/21/2014 11:16:47 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
You want to know what should be options? Dogeism and the Cate Heresy.

Seriously?

Yeah, or do you think it should just be Dogeism? I mean, Cate has some cult followers, but the Doge zealots are legion for they are many.

We must have equal representation of all religious groups. While I cannot tolerate Cate heretics, they deserve to be mentioned.

Amen
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 11:47:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
No, until Satanism is inserted in which adherents of Theosophy, Thelema, LaVeyan Satanism and Setianism fall under than I think including humanism would be a slap in the face.
Jingram994
Posts: 211
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 1:58:07 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
It's really a philosophy, not a religion. You can have pretty much any, or no, religion and also be a humanist. So, probably not. It wouldn't really make sense, and you'd then also need to include other major philosophies that exist alongside religion, like nihilism, existentialism, social Darwinism....
thehumanistpreacher
Posts: 252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 2:28:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/21/2014 9:12:28 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
THP broached the subject of representation for humanists in the Religion Forum on my post regarding Ambassadors.

He believes that "humanist" should be a religious option in DDO. I offered to make a thread in which we can have a community discussion on the subject. So I'll keep it short and open the floor to opinions on the matter.

Bladerunner060, well done. You have done an excellent service in helping the effort to first give recognition to the humanists on DDO. I shall use this opportunity to make the case as strongly as possible that Humanism should be recognised or an option where one can self identify as a humanist just as an atheist can.
thehumanistpreacher
Posts: 252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 2:37:13 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/21/2014 9:28:40 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 10/21/2014 9:22:55 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 10/21/2014 9:20:31 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
It doesn't sound like a religion.
What is it?

http://en.wikipedia.org...

While themes are common, to a large extent it depends on who you ask.

Looks almost like objectivism.
I'd say no, as it isn't a religion, but a philosophy, and I don't see any other philosophies listed, like objectivism.

On DDO Atheism, agnosticism and depending on your opinion neither can Buddhism or scientology be classed as a religion but it is recognised on DDO. The argument is why shouldn't humanism as well.

Humanism is already classed as a religious option in the USA army and as a 'distinct faith group'. Humanism is already legally recognised as a religion.

http://www.religionnews.com...
thehumanistpreacher
Posts: 252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 2:39:22 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/21/2014 9:33:22 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
No. THP himself identifies as atheist. And secular "religion" is an oxymoron. Secular humanism is a philosophy.

One cannot identify as a humanist in religious preference which gets to the heart of the problem. Atheism is not a religion but DDO recognises it so we need to include a much broader selection for individuals to self identify as a humanist.
Zaradi
Posts: 14,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 2:41:09 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/22/2014 2:39:22 PM, thehumanistpreacher wrote:
At 10/21/2014 9:33:22 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
No. THP himself identifies as atheist. And secular "religion" is an oxymoron. Secular humanism is a philosophy.

One cannot identify as a humanist in religious preference which gets to the heart of the problem. Atheism is not a religion but DDO recognises it so we need to include a much broader selection for individuals to self identify as a humanist.

So if we just take atheism away as an option will you stop?
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...