Jump to topic:

Hiatus + Future Debates

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 7:57:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
As some of you may know, I will be taking a brief (15-30) day hiatus after my 100th Debate concludes. This isn't going to be a full hiatus--I will still be online enough to meet my responsibilities as VP and as the Beginners' Series mod, but I do not intend to debate, vote, or participate extensively in the forum during that timeframe. I guess, "hiatus" might be a poor choice of words then; perhaps, "a significant scaling back of my activity levels" would be more a more appropriate, if less succinct, way to put it. I hope to get to my 10,000th post around the same time my ongoing debates (which everyone should vote on) wrap up, and then to cap my participation in the forums at around 20 posts per day.

I am taking this hiatus for a combination of reasons, some of which I have discussed privately with others. Suffice it to say that I need a break from DDO to reevaluate what I want to be getting out of the site, and to consider what I also want to be investing in it. I feel that in the rush of my near-instant addiction, I hurtled headlong into the place I now find myself, without ever really considering how I got here and without pacing myself along the way. To use a military metaphor, I feel as if I have advanced beyond my supply lines, and I need to pull back and regroup. I have no intention of leaving the site permanently; this semi-break is just designed to give me some space to think. I love DDO too much to leave.

If you want to talk to me more about why I am taking this hiatus, PM me. I am not going to guarantee you'll get full answers to all your questions, as some issues are personal and impact my IRL situation, but if you don't ask, you'll never know.

The being said, when I return to full-time membership, I would like to have some debates lined up that I can do. I am aware that I owe Uchiha a debate (if I owe you a debate that I've forgotten, let me know please). I am also interested in debating each of the topics below (with my preferred side listed):

1. Animals are capable of having rights* (Pro)
2. Anarchy is a desirable state under which to live (Con)
3. Prostitution should be Legalized and Regulated (Pro)
4. Socrates should have consumed the hemlock. (Con)
5. YYW is more adorable than bsh1 (Pro)

*Con concedes two things prior to the debate: (a) rights exists and (b) all human beings have rights.

I would want to do probably two debates at a time. If you're interested in doing these topics, let me know. We can hash out the details once I return and am ready to resume debating.

But really, I do need a break--even a partial one--just to sort of catch my breath and evaluate. I think that is something everyone needs to do every now and then. But, in the worlds of Arnold, "I'll be back." However, since I would feel guilty ending this post with a line from The Terminator instead of Star Wars, I'll say this as well: "May the Force be With You. Always."
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
UchihaMadara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 8:17:33 PM
Haha I've felt the same thing before.
I hope you achieve what you are looking for in taking this break :)

Btw, 20 posts a day is still pretty active :P
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 8:20:45 PM
At 10/22/2014 8:17:33 PM, UchihaMadara wrote:
Haha I've felt the same thing before.
I hope you achieve what you are looking for in taking this break :)

Btw, 20 posts a day is still pretty active :P

Not when I don't vote or debate. I honestly don't think I'll do more than 10 posts a day, but my max is 20.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 9:05:15 PM
At 10/22/2014 7:57:06 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Can this one be theoretically? Because, certain forms on anarchy, if they could work, would be desirable. I do not think they could actually work, so in practicality, are undesirable.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 9:08:46 PM
At 10/22/2014 9:05:15 PM, SNP1 wrote:

Can this one be theoretically?

Yes.

Because, certain forms on anarchy, if they could work, would be desirable. I do not think they could actually work, so in practicality, are undesirable.

I guess I would rephrase the resolution to be: "On balance, anarchy is a more desirable state under which to live than not."
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 11:24:13 PM
Return soon sweetie!
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 8:04:20 AM
At 10/22/2014 9:08:46 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 10/22/2014 9:05:15 PM, SNP1 wrote:

Can this one be theoretically?

Yes.

Because, certain forms on anarchy, if they could work, would be desirable. I do not think they could actually work, so in practicality, are undesirable.

I guess I would rephrase the resolution to be: "On balance, anarchy is a more desirable state under which to live than not."

I might take you up on this then. I will want to improve my own skills some first, and I am currently too busy for such a debate, but I do want to debate this with you sometime.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO