Jump to topic:

DDO news, updates, and drama

Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 11:17:40 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
So since I'm to lazy to do an episode of IDGAF, i am going to post the recent goings on, drama, and other news that has occurred lately on DDO.

1) My Thank you

My thanks for the go fund me money that blue steel started. I thanked and thanked you guys in the post but you have no idea how far that money has went thus far. I am in the process of talking to a recruiter to try and go into the military so I can finish my degree with it fully paid for. I love you guys, and you rock. That money has helped us eat, buy gas, and just basic things that we were lacking before. It means the world to us for the help you gave us

2) My resolve to change the front page

I hate the front page and the fact that comments from debates determine what goes there. Anyone can simply argue, or spam comments in a debate and *poof*, its a front page debate. It can be a debate about how to digest feces properly where two people got into an argument about the taste of ***, and it would still end up on the front page if there happened to be enough comments during the argument .

Proposal

Keep the last 10 day thing, and replace comments with likes. It negates the ability to spam comments, and makes it so people actually get to judge and vote and what debates they want to see on the front page, while limiting how many times you can vote. That way we keep stupid stuff likes Stalins spam from deterring new members

Sign the petition here

http://www.debate.org...

3) Proposal to ban trolls

Bluesteel made this thread >>>>> http://www.debate.org...

Which led to a discussion about people that could be "voted" off the island based on community dislike by a wide margin. The proposed idea was elect a council of people 10 or so and if someone like izbo, askbob, etc became such a flight risk that the entire community hated them, they could be put on trial. If 80 percent or so of the judges elected him guilty, the account would be perma banned. This went into a pm where we discussed it with airmax and hes keeping an eye on it. As for now the proposed ideas is as follows.

At least as far as I'm aware this is the most recent draft via our pm

*The community nominates a list of 10 candidates
*The candidates can accept or decline the nomination
*The community votes 7 of them into office
*The person who comes in 8th in the election will be used in case a member of the panel is forced to recuse themselves due to bias
*If two members propose to the council -- through a group PM -- that a certain person be banned, the council will investigate the person.
*If -- after a preliminary investigation -- the council finds the claim without merit, it can take a preliminary vote not to engage in a more in-depth investigation.
*If the council does a more in-depth investigation, it will hear arguments for and against the ban (in private). The person facing a ban will be given an opportunity to put on a defense.
*At the end of the investigation, a vote of 4-3 or more is required for a temp-ban.
*At the end of the investigation, a vote of 6-1 or 7-0 of the council is required for a perma-ban.
*The council will publish a brief opinion explaining its decision and who voted which way. Dissents may be included

If anyone wants a transcript of the PM, you can ask anyone included in it and they can keep you up with whats going on.

4) Trading Cards

Since thett3 brought it up, i'm making everyone on DDO their own personal trading card.

5) Can we perma ban stalin and RM, permanently

I mean for Gods sake find a way to get them off the site for God. RM lives in london, call hogwardts and have Daniel Radcliffe go tbag him until he cries or something. He has had like 200 multies that reak havoc to the point it makes me want to castrate myself, now Stalin is doing the same thing. Can we please find a way to keep these banned people banned without them changing or doing some kind of proxy to their ip address.

6) Bluesteel recently had surgery

He had a nosejob, keep him in your thoughts.

7) For steam users

They recent had Day Z free on steam to download. Its a zombie apoc game that is open ended, where you have to gather stuff to survive. You can kill players, tortue them, group with them , and do whatever the hell you want. If you have steam and like zombies, and if it's still free I would advise getting it. We can do a DDO thing

8) Congrats to Michael and Anne (Maikuru and Tulle)

On their engagement. They met on DDO years ago and now are getting married. Goes to show good things can happen on here despite all of the idiots that plauge us constantly.

9) Ima left again

Rip to our favorite troll and friend. He has once again left us, but shall not be forgotten

10) BSH Tourney

Remember to read and vote on this

the debates here are great, and worth keeping up with if you want to read some pretty good material

Anyway that is the basics , I'll do another one of these when more stuff pops up
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 11:21:11 PM
At 10/22/2014 11:17:40 PM, Mikal wrote:

WUT?! IS HE OKAY?! :O
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 11:21:40 PM
Transcript please.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 11:25:37 PM
At 10/22/2014 11:25:03 PM, user_name wrote:
How have you determined whether or not RM lives in London?

1. accent
2. he said so
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
VelCrow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 11:33:05 PM

9) Ima left again

Rip to our favorite troll and friend. He has once again left us, but shall not be forgotten

#54. we can still bring him back...
"Ah....So when god "Taught you" online, did he have a user name like "Darthmaulrules1337", and did he talk in all caps?" ~ Axonly

user_name
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 11:44:58 PM
At 10/22/2014 11:25:37 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 10/22/2014 11:25:03 PM, user_name wrote:
How have you determined whether or not RM lives in London?

1. accent
2. he said so

Right...
Best wishes,
user-name.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 11:53:33 PM
Hey haven't seen you on day z yet. What time zone are you In and when do you get on? Also I am headed down to keys from November 12th to the 15th if you wanna hang out. I know it's still a bit far, but I'd be willing to hook you and marina up with a place to stay and a good time for the weekend if you are at all interested.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 1:23:26 AM

I'd like to know who is part of this preliminary PM and read the transcript. I've voiced my concerns in the last thread but received no response from anyone who was seemingly involved.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 1:56:25 AM
At 10/23/2014 1:23:26 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

I'd like to know who is part of this preliminary PM and read the transcript. I've voiced my concerns in the last thread but received no response from anyone who was seemingly involved.

I hope that didn't sound too blunt. I'm just curious to see how everything is developing along and if my own concerns can be responded to. I don't know who else to ask since there isn't a list of who is involved in the PM.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 2:47:34 AM
At 10/23/2014 1:56:25 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

I hope that didn't sound too blunt. I'm just curious to see how everything is developing along and if my own concerns can be responded to. I don't know who else to ask since there isn't a list of who is involved in the PM.

It's incredibly inappropriate for anyone to offer a transcript of a PM, and I very much hope that anyone willing to provide one would get the permission from everyone within it before doing so. I will say that I was in this PM involuntarily, and that even if such a thing (a "banning council") were possible, all meaningful discussion on the matter would be taking place in public. I'll just add that the discussions I had privately mostly became about better defining trolling and toxic behavior so that rules against it (if/when they are defined) can be better enforced and those guilty of it more easily and fairly removed if necessary. That's the discussion I believe should have spawned from Bluesteel's original thread and is a more productive conversation for us to have.
Debate.org Moderator
18Karl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 3:15:43 AM
So since I'm to lazy to do an episode of IDGAF, i am going to post the recent goings on, drama, and other news that has occurred lately on DDO.

1) My Thank you

My thanks for the go fund me money that blue steel started. I thanked and thanked you guys in the post but you have no idea how far that money has went thus far. I am in the process of talking to a recruiter to try and go into the military so I can finish my degree with it fully paid for. I love you guys, and you rock. That money has helped us eat, buy gas, and just basic things that we were lacking before. It means the world to us for the help you gave us

I hate the front page and the fact that comments from debates determine what goes there. Anyone can simply argue, or spam comments in a debate and *poof*, its a front page debate. It can be a debate about how to digest feces properly where two people got into an argument about the taste of ***, and it would still end up on the front page if there happened to be enough comments during the argument .

Proposal

Keep the last 10 day thing, and replace comments with likes. It negates the ability to spam comments, and makes it so people actually get to judge and vote and what debates they want to see on the front page, while limiting how many times you can vote. That way we keep stupid stuff likes Stalins spam from deterring new members

Sign the petition here

Which led to a discussion about people that could be "voted" off the island based on community dislike by a wide margin. The proposed idea was elect a council of people 10 or so and if someone like izbo, askbob, etc became such a flight risk that the entire community hated them, they could be put on trial. If 80 percent or so of the judges elected him guilty, the account would be perma banned. This went into a pm where we discussed it with airmax and hes keeping an eye on it. As for now the proposed ideas is as follows.

*The person who comes in 8th in the election will be used in case a member of the panel is forced to recuse themselves due to bias
*If two members propose to the council -- through a group PM -- that a certain person be banned, the council will investigate the person.
*If -- after a preliminary investigation -- the council finds the claim without merit, it can take a preliminary vote not to engage in a more in-depth investigation.
*If the council does a more in-depth investigation, it will hear arguments for and against the ban (in private). The person facing a ban will be given an opportunity to put on a defense.
*At the end of the investigation, a vote of 4-3 or more is required for a temp-ban.
*At the end of the investigation, a vote of 6-1 or 7-0 of the council is required for a perma-ban.
*The council will publish a brief opinion explaining its decision and who voted which way. Dissents may be included

If anyone wants a transcript of the PM, you can ask anyone included in it and they can keep you up with whats going on.

4) Trading Cards

Since thett3 brought it up, i'm making everyone on DDO their own personal trading card.

I mean for Gods sake find a way to get them off the site for God. RM lives in london, call hogwardts and have Daniel Radcliffe go tbag him until he cries or something. He has had like 200 multies that reak havoc to the point it makes me want to castrate myself, now Stalin is doing the same thing. Can we please find a way to keep these banned people banned without them changing or doing some kind of proxy to their ip address.

7) For steam users

They recent had Day Z free on steam to download. Its a zombie apoc game that is open ended, where you have to gather stuff to survive. You can kill players, tortue them, group with them , and do whatever the hell you want. If you have steam and like zombies, and if it's still free I would advise getting it. We can do a DDO thing

A note on this; they are also giving out Afterfall Insanity. I haven't played it but received the keycode.

On their engagement. They met on DDO years ago and now are getting married. Goes to show good things can happen on here despite all of the idiots that plauge us constantly.

9) Ima left again

10) BSH Tourney

the debates here are great, and worth keeping up with if you want to read some pretty good material

Anyway that is the basics , I'll do another one of these when more stuff pops up
praise the lord Chin Chin
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 8:42:03 AM

Ill make sure its cool with everyone involved, but it was bsh that proposed the idea to offer up the transcipt of the message in the pm.

I would have included more people, but had 0 idea who was interested in being included in it . I just picked out the people that were typing most in the thread and started it.

The short version was the revised proposition which i posted. There where alot more before that one and leading up to it, that was the final one we came up with
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 8:56:18 AM
At 10/23/2014 2:47:34 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

It's incredibly inappropriate for anyone to offer a transcript of a PM, and I very much hope that anyone willing to provide one would get the permission from everyone within it before doing so. I will say that I was in this PM involuntarily, and that even if such a thing (a "banning council") were possible, all meaningful discussion on the matter would be taking place in public. I'll just add that the discussions I had privately mostly became about better defining trolling and toxic behavior so that rules against it (if/when they are defined) can be better enforced and those guilty of it more easily and fairly removed if necessary. That's the discussion I believe should have spawned from Bluesteel's original thread and is a more productive conversation for us to have.

I'm trying very hard to pull out of continuing acrimonious disagreements of people who object to my firm belief in the Bible as the Word of God. I understand the code of condunt as simply good manners as tautght to me by my mother. I may have overreacted when people have taken offense at me for telling them what the Bible says about their beliefs, but I think you will see I am working hard to make changes in my own behaviour to that nobody can accuse me of violating code of conduct the way they are violating it when they respond with vulgarities and personal insults and attacks on my character which have nothing to do with the beliefs I enjoy discussing.
I am well studied and well prepared to discuss any philosophy or religious belief, and immensely enjoy doing so. I have always appealed for civil discourse, but when it seems I am left on my own to defend myself against bullies, I hit hard with the truth.
In doing so, it would appear I am in violation of code of conduct when in reality I am simply using equal force to deal with people who are forcefully through what seems to be a gang effort trying to silence me here. So far you have been fair to me and I appreciate that. I am currently trying to persuade a few bullies to either engage in civil discourse with me or to leave me alone. I'm doing all I can now to abide by code of conduct which is simply good manners and common sense. I consider myself to be an Ambassador for Jesus Christ, and I do not want to bring dishonor to His name or to the name of DDO. At heart I am a gentlenam. I'm learning how to maintain my composure while not compromising my beliefs, and I appreciate being allowed to come here to reach out for good conversation. I really do not want to bother you with any more reports of abusive or sexually explicit posts, or complaints about people bullying me. I can handle bullies, but sometimes they just won't back off and let me walk away and then something has to be done. I would like to remain active on this site as freedom of speech is so precious of a commodity and I want to enjoy it as long as I have it. It's not my job to enforce code of conduct, and that's a good thing because if it were up to me I would have kicked a good fifty people off this site forever for repeatedly attacking me becasse they don't like my beliefs. I really don't want to get anybody kicked off of here. I enjoy, and appeal for, civil discourse in differing opinions.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 9:04:54 AM
Bluesteel made this thread >>>>> http://www.debate.org......

This is mob mentality madness. The crucifed Jesus Christ with this kind of community hatred. I know I have my faults, but this kind of mob assembly based on hatred of an individual is never just. This stuff at heart is the same a murder. Anybody involved in something like this should be ashamed of themselves.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 9:25:09 AM
Bluesteel made this thread >>>>> http://www.debate.org.........

This is mob mentality madness. The crucifed Jesus Christ with this kind of community hatred. I know I have my faults, but this kind of mob assembly based on hatred of an individual is never just. This stuff at heart is the same a murder. Anybody involved in something like this should be ashamed of themselves.
I hope you will pardon me for copy and pasting this same response, but I wanted this to be directly brought to your attention. I hope you will never allow an execution council like this to develop.

John the Baptist had his head cut off at the request of a jewish ruler's wife when the Jews were allowed some relgious freedom and self-governance under the Roman Empire. John had boldly told her husband, who was at that time the legal king of the jews under Roman rule, that it was not lawful under Jewish law for him to have her as his wife. He would have killed John immediately at that point, but feared the crowd which supported John as a prophet.
This kind of appeal for mob execution against people who who speak up is no differetnt. I hope you will never allow a council like this to develop.

If it were up to me, anybody who uses sexually provocative pictures in their icons would get a warning to remove the picture which in some insances resembles a model wearing nothing but a man's shirt while she seems to be having some kind of problem demanding attention in her private parts. That kind of stuff is pornographic, though thinly masked by an oversized men's shirt and it should not be allowed on a site that wishes to promote itslelf as clean and a place where children will not be enticed sexually. There are a lot of children on this stie. At this point, if my children were young, they would not be allowed on this site in any way at any time.
For saying things like I'm saying now, people hate me and would like to see me executed from this site.
I hope you never allow a council like the one being discussed above to develop.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 9:32:54 AM
Other websites ban trolls and banhammer people who damage the site without second thoughts. I don't know why we are so hesitant to ban trolls in a similar fashion. It's not like we're banning them for their views but rather their conduct.

I think banning trolls is completely viable.
Roukezian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 1:25:30 PM
At 10/23/2014 9:32:54 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Other websites ban trolls and banhammer people who damage the site without second thoughts. I don't know why we are so hesitant to ban trolls in a similar fashion. It's not like we're banning them for their views but rather their conduct.

I think banning trolls is completely viable.

I personally have never trolled on a forum or a website, but I always found myself misjudged and wronged against because of the almost-automatic banhammer policies on various forums. For example, I once provided a long post with scriptural evidence and citations in a Durzi faith discussion about the Druze's supposed God-in-human-form Hakim Biamr Allah, who in that citation, literally asked ann African tribesman to show him his penis. That got me instantly banned for "trolling" as the mod there simply never heard of that story and assumed I was just mocking other religions. Another instant happened when I posted a very rare vintage recording of Khalil Roukoz's early poetry festivals and got banned by a mod who claimed it was "fabricated" before realizing it is genuine from Roukoz's son(who is still alive) but never ever got back to me or lifted my ban because he was too busy banning other people.

To cut a long story short, I believe the most reasonable banning strategy would be along the lines of what Bsh1 and Mikal suggested, not only because they personally are in love with this website and would do anything to protect it, but also because they have included in their jury, an impressive team who will critically analyze the misconduct of a user who is causing considerable harm to the community, and if he is apparently toxic and unwilling to comply with the general conduct standards , they would then decide to permanently ban him with a majority vote, which to me seems more reasonable than simply instantly banning people based on a very general definition of trolling.
thehumanistpreacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 4:48:54 PM

1) My Thank you

Proposal

Sign the petition here

4) Trading Cards

7) For steam users

9) Ima left again

10) BSH Tourney

How to you protect ordinary members against unfair dismissal and vested interests?

What is the definition of Troll and Toxic Member?

How to we keep this system accountable?

Why is the current code of conduct not already fit for purpose?

Why would another authority not just create confusion among the ordinary membership?

Make sure that your proposal in all it's form must not be open to interpretation and passes the bright-line test.

http://en.wikipedia.org...
thehumanistpreacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 4:55:05 PM

1) My Thank you

Proposal

Sign the petition here

4) Trading Cards

7) For steam users

9) Ima left again

10) BSH Tourney

How do you ensure that this new body has: Integrity" in putting the obligations of public service above your own personal interests; Transparency in being truthful and open in all conversations. objectivity" in basing your advice and decisions on rigorous analysis of the evidence and impartiality" in acting solely according to the merits of the case and serving equally well Governments of different political persuasions?
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 5:54:05 PM
At 10/23/2014 2:47:34 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

It's incredibly inappropriate for anyone to offer a transcript of a PM, and I very much hope that anyone willing to provide one would get the permission from everyone within it before doing so.

That's true, and I apologize for not realizing that at the time. I didn't think the same rules for personal PM's applied to this since Mikal was offering to provide the transcript on request. Won't happen again.

I will say that I was in this PM involuntarily, and that even if such a thing (a "banning council") were possible, all meaningful discussion on the matter would be taking place in public. I'll just add that the discussions I had privately mostly became about better defining trolling and toxic behavior so that rules against it (if/when they are defined) can be better enforced and those guilty of it more easily and fairly removed if necessary. That's the discussion I believe should have spawned from Bluesteel's original thread and is a more productive conversation for us to have.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 6:02:48 PM
At 10/23/2014 8:42:03 AM, Mikal wrote:

Ill make sure its cool with everyone involved, but it was bsh that proposed the idea to offer up the transcipt of the message in the pm.

I didn't realize it wasn't allowed when I asked, lol. It's cool bro, I'll just wait and see if it'll be made public or whatever. I'm not too concerned, just curious by nature.

I would have included more people, but had 0 idea who was interested in being included in it . I just picked out the people that were typing most in the thread and started it.

It's all good. My main thing was that I would like it better if Juggle themselves vetted the people given the ability to ban. Or assigning forum-specific moderators, kinda like what Bladerunner is trying to do with the religious section. Other than those two things, I think it's a noble pursuit since the intent is to better improve the site.

The short version was the revised proposition which i posted. There where alot more before that one and leading up to it, that was the final one we came up with.