Total Posts:22|Showing Posts:1-22
Jump to topic:

Need tips for debating (I am on the team)

Faisal_Umerani
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 8:46:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I need tips and secrets for debating!

Please, I have a huge debate next week and I need help!

I need special tips and tricks and secrets, please help!
Atheist-Independent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 9:05:19 PM
At 10/29/2014 8:46:23 PM, Faisal_Umerani wrote:

What are you debating?
Faisal_Umerani
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 9:40:56 PM
The debate may be anything from this list: Is burning the american flag illegal
or should federal power be granted to the states if it includes education that is national based or does the constitution protect the rights of religion against the rights posted in the constitution.

I also just need pointers and secrets in general. Please help, thank you bro.
Atheist-Independent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 9:46:07 PM
At 10/29/2014 9:40:56 PM, Faisal_Umerani wrote:
or should federal power be granted to the states if it includes education that is national based or does the constitution protect the rights of religion against the rights posted in the constitution.

The issue with getting real life debating advice from this site is that none of us are actual real-life debaters, if you know what I mean. We are good at researching and then typing up a cohesive argument.

In real debating, it is much more of a psychological game. The content is less important than whoever appears more confident. I suggest making eye contact regularly with your opponent and to avoid a nervous ticks.

Obviously you need to know what you are talking about, so researching the debate subject heavily beforehand can always help. DDO is where you can test those skills.

Hope I helped!
Atheist-Independent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 9:49:21 PM
At 10/29/2014 9:46:07 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:

The issue with getting real life debating advice from this site is that none of us are actual real-life debaters, if you know what I mean. We are good at researching and then typing up a cohesive argument.

In real debating, it is much more of a psychological game. The content is less important than whoever appears more confident. I suggest making eye contact regularly with your opponent and to avoid any nervous ticks.

Obviously you need to know what you are talking about, so researching the debate subject heavily beforehand can always help. DDO is where you can test those skills.

Hope I helped!

Fixed.
Faisal_Umerani
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 9:33:27 AM

In real debating, it is much more of a psychological game. The content is less important than whoever appears more confident. I suggest making eye contact regularly with your opponent and to avoid a nervous ticks.

Hope I helped!

Thanks man, you are awesome!
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 10:01:05 AM
At 10/30/2014 9:33:27 AM, Faisal_Umerani wrote:

Hope I helped!

Don't listen to him talk to some people with debate experience like whiteflame, BSH1 or Debatability.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 10:07:39 AM
At 10/30/2014 10:01:05 AM, Wylted wrote:

Hope I helped!

Don't listen to him talk to some people with debate experience like whiteflame, BSH1 or Debatability.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 10:23:25 AM

There are quite a few people on the site who do/have done real life debate.
My work here is, finally, done.
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 10:50:36 AM

One thing many debaters and politicians do is they memorize all the logical fallacies.
Logical fallacies are things your opponent may say in his argument that may appear to make sense to most people, but is actually incredibly flawed.

Knowing logical fallacies can be like your weapon to bomb and discredit your opponent's argument. If you hear a logical fallacy in your opponent's argument, just point it out, explain why it is fallible, and he'll be stunned and unable to answer.

This has worked for me several times in MUN conferences. It got me and my partner an award.

Here's a site that teaches you 24 common logical fallacies you'll probably need to know:
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com...
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 11:03:10 AM
At 10/30/2014 10:50:36 AM, Defro wrote:

One thing many debaters and politicians do is they memorize all the logical fallacies.
Logical fallacies are things your opponent may say in his argument that may appear to make sense to most people, but is actually incredibly flawed.

Knowing logical fallacies can be like your weapon to bomb and discredit your opponent's argument. If you hear a logical fallacy in your opponent's argument, just point it out, explain why it is fallible, and he'll be stunned and unable to answer.

This has worked for me several times in MUN conferences. It got me and my partner an award.

Here's a site that teaches you 24 common logical fallacies you'll probably need to know:

Also, you have to be tricky and sly.
Find loopholes in your opponent's resolution. This will often take time, but what I usually do is buy time bye bending and twisting my opponent's words, forcing him to clarify everything, and by then I'll have thought up of a valid rebuttal.

Attacking your opponent like this also has other benefits. Live debating is more of a psychological war than a discussion. By attacking every little thing in his resolution, you slowly strip him of his confidence and you may even confuse him. You can tell if they hesitate or stutter in their replies.

To be a good live debater you must be able to think fast and be witty. That means you must be able to respond to all rebuttals against you, so you have to be creative and imaginative. If you're not, you have to be able to predict rebuttals against you beforehand so you're prepared.

Before you start the debate, look at your own resolution and put yourself in the position of your opponent. What would he say to argue against your resolution? If you know this, you can come up with counter rebuttals and you can welcome all rebuttals he throws at you with a smile, knowing that he is playing into your trap.

Another thing you can do is anticipate that he'll anticipate your rebuttals, and think up of arguments against that beforehand.

Live debating is all a mind game.
Atheist-Independent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 1:44:47 PM

Hope I helped!

How do you know that I don't have experience?
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 2:11:52 PM
At 10/30/2014 1:44:47 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:

Hope I helped!

You said so in this same thread.
Atheist-Independent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 2:13:36 PM
At 10/30/2014 2:11:52 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 10/30/2014 1:44:47 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:

Hope I helped!

You said so in this same thread.

I have been in several real debates before. I suppose that I meant to say that the majority of us on DDO do not have real debate experience.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 2:21:19 PM
At 10/30/2014 2:16:51 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
At 10/30/2014 2:14:49 PM, Wylted wrote:
Well, it's your fault for the misunderstanding not mine so d:

Cool.

You owe me 5 bucks now, thanks.
Atheist-Independent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 2:26:04 PM
At 10/30/2014 2:21:19 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 10/30/2014 2:16:51 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
At 10/30/2014 2:14:49 PM, Wylted wrote:
Well, it's your fault for the misunderstanding not mine so d:

Cool.

You owe me 5 bucks now, thanks.

Here is 31 different $5 bills. Now you owe me $150.

http://acidcow.com...
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 4:04:27 PM

Hope I helped!

lol, bsh and whiteflame are wayyy out of my league though
but i'd be happy to give any advice to formal debaters
Faisal_Umerani
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 6:08:24 PM
At 10/30/2014 11:03:10 AM, Defro wrote:

Find loopholes in your opponent's resolution. This will often take time, but what I usually do is buy time bye bending and twisting my opponent's words, forcing him to clarify everything, and by then I'll have thought up of a valid rebuttal.

Attacking your opponent like this also has other benefits. Live debating is more of a psychological war than a discussion. By attacking every little thing in his resolution, you slowly strip him of his confidence and you may even confuse him. You can tell if they hesitate or stutter in their replies.

To be a good live debater you must be able to think fast and be witty. That means you must be able to respond to all rebuttals against you, so you have to be creative and imaginative. If you're not, you have to be able to predict rebuttals against you beforehand so you're prepared.

Before you start the debate, look at your own resolution and put yourself in the position of your opponent. What would he say to argue against your resolution? If you know this, you can come up with counter rebuttals and you can welcome all rebuttals he throws at you with a smile, knowing that he is playing into your trap.

Another thing you can do is anticipate that he'll anticipate your rebuttals, and think up of arguments against that beforehand.

Thanks dude, you actually gave me what I needed, I can tell you have experience. I have a question though. How do you react when someone insults you? Could you give me an example?
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 6:33:36 PM
Break knee caps of opponents win by no show default.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 7:59:53 PM
At 10/30/2014 6:08:24 PM, Faisal_Umerani wrote:
At 10/30/2014 11:03:10 AM, Defro wrote:

Thanks dude, you actually gave me what I needed, I can tell you have experience. I have a question though. How do you react when someone insults you? Could you give me an example?

Insults are usually logical fallacies known as "ad hominen."
Here is a link where you can learn more about ad hominen.
http://literarydevices.net...

If that happens, just point out that they've committed ad hominen and you will not stand for it.