Jump to topic:

An Assignment for my Anthropology Class

EyYoItsTyrone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2014 2:29:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Hey everyone, I'm a new member at Debate.org. After looking around a little bit, I've got to say that this website looks like a really fun, interesting, and civil environment to have entertaining/thought provoking discussions about almost anything. I'll be really happy to view and contribute to the already funny and intelligent content I've seen on the site.

I'm also a freshman attending college, and I'm taking an anthropology class about technological presence throughout human history. One of our assignments was to get feedback from users of a social networking website about various aspects that make up their "digital, online community." These "community" aspects include things like shared social identity, online space, proper social etiquette, "do's and don'ts," etc. To get a better understanding of these community elements, I'd greatly appreciate it if other members of this website answered a few of my questions. Any amount of feedback is appreciated!

First of all, why do you use the website? For what purpose?

Does Debate.org foster a sense of "community" between users? Why or why not? If it does, could you please use examples?

What do you share in common with other users at this website (interests, culture, religion, hobbies, etc)?

Have you ever gotten any assistance from someone on the site with something you needed help with in the offline world? What, for example?

How would you describe a "good" user of the site and a "bad" user? How do you get "popular" or "well-respected" on the site? And how do you get disliked? Examples would also be appreciated.

Without getting into too much personal detail, what are the social characteristics of the people who use the site (age, gender, social class, race, sexual orientation, culture, sub-culture, occupation, religion, etc.)?

How much would you say your involvement with this website is enhancing your "real," physical, everyday, face-to-face relationships? Or does this website instead ever distract and/or pull you away from your local, physical, face-to-face interactions and relationships? Do you have any particular examples to offer?

Once again, thank you for any feedback! I'll be glad to respond to any questions on the clarity/substance of what I'm looking for.
9spaceking
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2014 2:35:36 PM
At 10/31/2014 2:29:07 PM, EyYoItsTyrone wrote:
Hey everyone, I'm a new member at Debate.org. After looking around a little bit, I've got to say that this website looks like a really fun, interesting, and civil environment to have entertaining/thought provoking discussions about almost anything. I'll be really happy to view and contribute to the already funny and intelligent content I've seen on the site.
cool.

I'm also a freshman attending college, and I'm taking an anthropology class about technological presence throughout human history. One of our assignments was to get feedback from users of a social networking website about various aspects that make up their "digital, online community." These "community" aspects include things like shared social identity, online space, proper social etiquette, "do's and don'ts," etc. To get a better understanding of these community elements, I'd greatly appreciate it if other members of this website answered a few of my questions. Any amount of feedback is appreciated!
interesting.

Does Debate.org foster a sense of "community" between users? Why or why not? If it does, could you please use examples?
Very obvious. Please ask anyone about the story of Mikal and/or visit Imabench's profile to see why people like him so much

What do you share in common with other users at this website (interests, culture, religion, hobbies, etc)?

Have you ever gotten any assistance from someone on the site with something you needed help with in the offline world? What, for example?

How would you describe a "good" user of the site and a "bad" user? How do you get "popular" or "well-respected" on the site? And how do you get disliked? Examples would also be appreciated.
Fun, good, contributing users are appreciated. It seems we don't like spammers too much or people who make multiple accounts.

Without getting into too much personal detail, what are the social characteristics of the people who use the site (age, gender, social class, race, sexual orientation, culture, sub-culture, occupation, religion, etc.)?

How much would you say your involvement with this website is enhancing your "real," physical, everyday, face-to-face relationships? Or does this website instead ever distract and/or pull you away from your local, physical, face-to-face interactions and relationships? Do you have any particular examples to offer?

Once again, thank you for any feedback! I'll be glad to respond to any questions on the clarity/substance of what I'm looking for.
Equestrian election
http://www.debate.org...

This House would impose democracy

Reign of Terror is unjustified

Raise min. wage to $10.10
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2014 2:44:25 PM

Welcome to the site!

I am on here to discuss things. The ideal of DDO appeals to me: This is a place explicilty set up TO debate. While a lot of spaces have debate, they usually aren't set up for that express purpose. Since I enjoy debating, I enjoy a site set up for debating.

It does. This forum channel that you've posted in is for things about the site. There's also the Personal forum, where people interact on a more personal level. There's certainly a sense of community, but I'm unclear what kind of "example" you're looking for.

The important thing that I think I share with most users is a desire to debate and discuss topics. That interest overrides other commonalities--I can discuss with theists principles of economics and so on.

I would rather not give examples, as the "help" in question was usually helping me with discussions regarding personal stuff from the offline world. That said, the answer is "yes, I have". There are other members who could give more concrete examples. I like to think there's a few members that I have helped in terms of things offline, too.

There are two main avenues, I think. There's the formal debates, and forum conduct. Doing well with either can make you a "good" user. "Bad" users are usually seen as such largely for forum conduct, though, to my experience.

Examples would tend towards using specific users, and I don't think that's a good idea even for users who are no longer here, but broadly: Attempts to tell everyone they're stupid don't go over well. Neither does spamming, or large-scale attacks on users.

Ore_Ele or airmax probably have the data, but to the best of my recollection the users of DDO are largely: straight white males in the US, of middle-class economic backgrounds. That said, that's the majority, but it's by no means everybody, and I'm unsure whether a majority is religious, or what "sub-culture" any majority might be.

Lol, well, given that I'm the president, the site sucks a LOT of time away from other things, sometimes to their detriment.

But, honestly, it did BEFORE I was president, too; I love this place and have since I joined.

I do think coming here has enhanced my interactions in the real world, mostly through practice and exposure, that is, practice with formulating my thoughts, and exposure to thought processes that I might encounter in the meatworld.

I hope this was helpful.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
AngelofDeath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2014 3:38:49 PM

Welcome to DDO! :)
If you think we're *all* funny and intelligent, you darling, have a lot to learn lol

Ofc

To talk with friends and debate and share opinions or give advice

Yes. Totally. Ask around for people to tell you about the Mikal issue. I was gone for it, but i heard that people raised a lot of money to support him.
There's also hangouts just about every night that people come to and chat or play mafia in.

Debate (obviously) we have a very diverse group of people on DDO with a lot of different views, you have the extremely liberals and the extremely conservatives too

People in the forums ask for advice IRL all the time! With some its simple things, like curing boredom, and with others, its family issues or drugs or breakup a or anything really....

A good user is someone who is generally kind to others or helpful. A bad user would be someone who spammed the forums or who trolled relentlessly in an annoying way that caused other users to be offended or distract them from what they were doing.

Everything. We have a wide variety of people.

Once you're addicted to DDO, leaving is near impossible. But it does hold a lot of fun and helps pass the time (a little too well XD) it does get a bit distracting at times and keep me from doing homework or other things that i need to do but maybe I'm just a really bad procrastinator lol

I may or may not be a cat
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2014 4:13:18 PM

Debate and networking. There are alot of great people on here and its more than just a debate site its a close nit community.

Yes. I was recently in a situation where i was about to go homeless. No money , no food, no nothing. I had lost my job and had nothing at the time and a bluesteel a great friend of mine made a post about it asking people to help me if they could. This was all without my knowledge. After the post was made nearly 2,200 dollars was donated to me by the community to help me get back on my feet because they considered me a good member and friend.

All of the above basically and some that are not even in common we can discuss. That is the purpose of debate, to discuss and debate everything. Things you believe an don't believe.

Read above

You can't really define it. Good would generally be someone that positively contributes to the site , and bad would be someone that negatively influences it.

16-30 on the norm, mostly male and some females. Mostly atheist or Christian with a few Muslims and other religions that vary

It has improved me as an individual greatly. It has taught me to be calm and collective and also helped improve my knowledge of a wide variety of topics

Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2014 4:16:05 PM
To get a better understanding of these community elements, I'd greatly appreciate it if other members of this website answered a few of my questions. Any amount of feedback is appreciated!

I use it to pass time. Debating is something I have a passion for, it's a great way to learn new ideas, gain insight into topics I don't know much about, express my opinions, and meet new people who share a similar liking for debate. I also view debating as a fun way to practice for my future career as a trial attorney.

Yes, definitely. Recently we saw two members get engaged. They met here on Debate.org and now are going to build a life together. It's truly wonderful. Also, we recently saw a member who fell on some tough times in terms of finances, and we were able to come together, create a donation fund, and see to it that he makes it past this hurdle. I've never honestly seen a closer-knit community before online. When it really matters, we come together like a family and help each other out in any way we can.

Debating, religious affiliations, political affiliations, opinions, perhaps even shared interest in the same sports teams. There's a wide array of members here on Debate.org and usually there are a few others that share similar beliefs, opinions, or political party interests. We also have forums separated into differing categories. So if you happen to like science, we have science forums where you can connect with people who also like science. Same for religion forums, games, entertainment, arts, etc., it's really easy to find people who share similar interests using this system.

Well, as I touched on earlier, we recently had a member fall on tough times financially. Another member started an online fund for him and we saw numerous members donating various amounts of money for that cause. Personally, I found closure here when faced with the reality of my own bi-polar disorder. I was able to honestly confront my negative feelings associated with that and was met with incredible support from alot of people. That helped me alot in real-life, and now I find myself more social in real-life because of the support I found on here.

A "good" user would be one who contributes positively to the site. For instance, we have users here who, when leaving a vote on a debate, will share advice on how either side could have improved their arguments. We have users who will help shape new policies for the site, and even members who have developed guides for new members to look at for basic tips and tactics in regards to improving their quality of debates. We also have a current President who will share site tips in his weekly updates.

A "bad" user would generally be someone who trolls alot in an offensive manner, or someone who is openly rude or mean to other members. It's kind of like in the real-world. People who are rude or mean generally find themselves disliked.

To garner respect, just be nice to your fellow Debate.org users. Leave high-quality votes on debates, or get involved in high-quality debates. Contribute to the site in a positive manner, and partake in the various activities offered here like Mafia games. There are many members here who have earned my respect by various means. Usually, if I learn something from someone, I'll respect them for showing me something I didn't know previously.

It varies greatly, which is why I think this site is so unique and charming for me. I can spend one night chatting with someone who lives in Pakistan, and spend the next night chatting with someone who lives in New York. I can ask a Muslim member about their religion, or ask someone who lives in India about their social norms.

It's helped me personally by realizing that my chemical imbalance (bi-polar disorder) isn't something to be ashamed about. This has given me a little more confidence in real-life to the point where I'm approaching and socializing with others a little easier. I also have multiple conversation points I can bring about in real-life that I have gained from here. In college classes, we might be discussing something similar to what I am involved with in the site, so I can bring additional information to the class discussion that I might not have known without Debate.org.

It hasn't really affected me negatively. Debate.org can be a little addicting, so it's good to find that balance between time spent here and time spent focusing on real-life pursuits. Other than that though, it's never contributed negatively to my real-life.

I hope my responses helped a little :) Have a nice day!
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
UchihaMadara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2014 5:03:57 PM
At 10/31/2014 2:44:25 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

It does. This forum channel that you've posted in is for things about the site. There's also the Personal forum, where people interact on a more personal level. There's certainly a sense of community, but I'm unclear what kind of "example" you're looking for.

the mikal situation...
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2014 9:37:03 PM
Posting here as a reminder to do this when I'm bored out of my mind at work in a few hours.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2014 11:10:36 PM

To debate and socialize. I have some friends on here, but I originally joined just to debate. I did debate in high school, and wanted to find a way to continue to do so after I graduated. DDO became my solution.

I never expected to become as involved on the site as I have. I met my boyfriend on here, made many friends, and now feel a part of the site's fabric.

Yes it does. One great example would be the site's coming together to financially support a needy member. The user Mikal was in need of money, and the site chipped in more than $1,500 dollars to support him and his fiancee.

An interest in debate, politics, mafia, and more. This is a hard question to answer, because there are so many commonalities.

Yes. My boyfriend helps me edit cases and things like that for the kids I coach IRL (in real life.) We talk about a lot of thing IRL, and plan to meet soon and to spend a month or so together.

They are a good debater, contribute intellectually, and don't flame, troll, or spam.

I have no idea. I know I am 19 years old, middle class, white, gay, liberal, a student, and agnostic.

It pulls me away from my IRL life, but it's worth it. It's the only place where I can be with my boyfriend.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
VelCrow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2014 11:14:28 PM
At 10/31/2014 2:35:36 PM, 9spaceking wrote:

Very obvious. Please ask anyone about the story of Mikal and/or visit Imabench's profile to see why people like him so much

whats the story of Mikal?
"Ah....So when god "Taught you" online, did he have a user name like "Darthmaulrules1337", and did he talk in all caps?" ~ Axonly

EyYoItsTyrone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2014 10:15:29 PM
Thank you all very much for your feedback! Everything you've offered has been pretty helpful towards my assignment. I'll just bump this post again in case anyone else wants to add anything. Once again, any response is appreciated!
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 12:14:35 AM

This is going to be such fun.

To promulgate lolcat memes, to access such useful information as electronic Indian witchcraft and to ensure that I can poll in a totally unscientific way random people who I have never known or care about about subjects of general interest.

If by "sense of community" you mean "common appreciation for lolcat memes, electronic Indian witchcraft and voicing inconsequential opinions on various subjects" then sure, yes.

A common appreciation for lolcat memes, electronic Indian witchcraft and voicing inconsequential opinions on various subjects.

I have frequently found myself in want of more lolcat memes, electronic Indian witchcraft and voicing inconsequential opinions on various subject. The DDO community is always ready to provide assistance to that end.

A good user is one who embraces our common appreciation for lolcat memes, electronic Indian witchcraft and voicing inconsequential opinions on various subjects

A common appreciation for lolcat memes, electronic Indian witchcraft and voicing inconsequential opinions on various subjects is ubiquitous among all mankind.

Did I mention a common appreciation for lolcat memes, electronic Indian witchcraft and voicing inconsequential opinions on various subjects?

(This was a totally trollish answer, btw. I'll give a real one later... lol)
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 8:11:30 AM
At 11/2/2014 12:14:35 AM, YYW wrote:

This is going to be such fun.

To promulgate lolcat memes, to access such useful information as electronic Indian witchcraft and to ensure that I can poll in a totally unscientific way random people who I have never known or care about about subjects of general interest.

If by "sense of community" you mean "common appreciation for lolcat memes, electronic Indian witchcraft and voicing inconsequential opinions on various subjects" then sure, yes.

A common appreciation for lolcat memes, electronic Indian witchcraft and voicing inconsequential opinions on various subjects.

I have frequently found myself in want of more lolcat memes, electronic Indian witchcraft and voicing inconsequential opinions on various subject. The DDO community is always ready to provide assistance to that end.

A good user is one who embraces our common appreciation for lolcat memes, electronic Indian witchcraft and voicing inconsequential opinions on various subjects

A common appreciation for lolcat memes, electronic Indian witchcraft and voicing inconsequential opinions on various subjects is ubiquitous among all mankind.

Did I mention a common appreciation for lolcat memes, electronic Indian witchcraft and voicing inconsequential opinions on various subjects?

(This was a totally trollish answer, btw. I'll give a real one later... lol)

Goddammit man you killed me
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 8:24:31 AM

I used to debate here, but now I stick around mostly to be a part of this wonderful community. (I don't have the time for debates anymore)

Yes, this is by far the most tightly knit community I have ever seen, online or otherwise. Members here here help each other when times are hard, friendships are forge, some members find love on DDO (not me, I forever alone). It's just awesome.

The only thing that you will find nearly ALL members have in common is the ability to enjoy deep and meaningful discussion.

Advice, mostly. But there are other members who have gotten more help from the community than I. Mikal is a user who we came together and bailed out of homelessness, because he is an awesome guy, and everyone deserves a place to stay.

A good user is one who provides meaningful contributions to the site. That contribution can be as simple as partaking in discussion on a range of topics and maintaining intellectual honesty while doing so. If you make yourself know for being rude, inconsiderate, bullying, or something along those lines, you will gain a reputation as a bad user, and you probably won't last long here.

This site is really diverse. Granted, we do have an American white majority, but not by much. The range of diversity is one of the many appealing traits of this website.

This website has helped me to understand the value of intellectual honesty and investment. It has helped me to realize that people who do not care about intillectual development are not worth my time. And that those who do care and invest time into it are people that will go far In life, and are worth the time I spend with them.

Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!