Jump to topic:

Secular religion option

Theunkown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 7:29:04 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
There is an option to set your religion as 'secular'. What on Earth does that mean? Do they believe in a higher power or do they not? This is confusing. I mean, maybe they not believing in a higher power would be a logical answer, but that will make them Atheist. So you can see my problem here.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 9:50:06 AM
At 11/16/2014 7:29:04 AM, Theunkown wrote:
There is an option to set your religion as 'secular'. What on Earth does that mean? Do they believe in a higher power or do they not? This is confusing. I mean, maybe they not believing in a higher power would be a logical answer, but that will make them Atheist. So you can see my problem here.

All atheists are secular, but not all seculars are atheists. Being secular simply means you don't follow a religion. I'm not sure if it means secular humanism, but if it does, then it encompasses nontheists.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 5:32:45 PM

There's no problem. You're just trying to make the simple complicated. You know what is meant and so does everyone else.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Theunkown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 10:07:37 AM
At 11/16/2014 5:32:45 PM, sadolite wrote:

There's no problem. You're just trying to make the simple complicated. You know what is meant and so does everyone else.

No, I do not understand what is meant which is why I am asking it. Please explain in the simplest words possible what a secular religion means.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 11:25:50 AM
At 11/17/2014 10:07:37 AM, Theunkown wrote:

No, I do not understand what is meant which is why I am asking it. Please explain in the simplest words possible what a secular religion means.

'Secular' should make it clear they are a non-theist. They do not have a religion.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Theunkown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 11:51:16 AM
At 11/17/2014 11:25:50 AM, Skepticalone wrote:

'Secular' should make it clear they are a non-theist. They do not have a religion.

non theist and not having a religion makes you an atheist. Why are there seperate options for both if they are one and the same by how you describe it?
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 12:03:44 PM
At 11/17/2014 11:51:16 AM, Theunkown wrote:
At 11/17/2014 11:25:50 AM, Skepticalone wrote:

non theist and not having a religion makes you an atheist. Why are there seperate options for both if they are one and the same by how you describe it?

Atheism exists in contrast to theism. If there is no theism, then there can be no atheism. Secularism stands on its own. Would you agree?
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 12:50:11 PM
If a religion is necessarily defined to incorporate a deity. Then it follows that all atheists are secular, and not all theists are non-secular. I know quite a few secular theists myself.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 7:52:34 PM

Face palm
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%