Jump to topic:

Using Real Names

Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 9:27:25 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Do people just lack self-control or what?

Why do so many people use the real name of others in place of the user name?
What is the point if you have to use both names, so people know who you are talking about?

I find it annoying and a bit reckless, and easily preventable.
Can it stop, please? I have purposely only given my name out to a few due to this reckless use of name dropping, and yet my name has been exposed at least twice.

Personally, I am honest here because I have a bit on anonymity (ironic, since so many people are bastard trolls for the same reason). I say things I cannot really say in real life, and certainly things I don't want certain people to see.
That is all.
My work here is, finally, done.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 10:07:42 AM
At 11/17/2014 9:27:25 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

What is the point if you have to use both names, so people know who you are talking about?

Can it stop, please? I have purposely only given my name out to a few due to this reckless use of name dropping, and yet my name has been exposed at least twice.
Personally, I am honest here because I have a bit on anonymity (ironic, since so many people are bastard trolls for the same reason). I say things I cannot really say in real life, and certainly things I don't want certain people to see.
That is all.

Is your real name Kh****? ;D
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 11:13:07 AM

That is all.

some of us use it to poke fun at each other. ElCorazonAma(formerly GCL) and I know each others and have poked fun at each other with it.
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 11:20:58 AM
At 11/17/2014 10:07:42 AM, RevNge wrote:

That is all.

Is your real name Kh****? ;D
http://www.comicvine.com...
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 11:43:01 AM
though yeah i think you're freaking out over nothing
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 11:45:28 AM
I mean, everyone knows mine...but I don't think it's enough to dox me with.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 11:53:59 AM
At 11/17/2014 11:45:28 AM, bsh1 wrote:

I was impersonating "Brian" and ordered 20 boxes of condoms the other day... ;D
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 12:04:43 PM
At 11/17/2014 11:43:01 AM, cybertron1998 wrote:

You'd be surprised what people can find out.
It is a mild annoyance, I'll give you that, but with the amount of trolls and solicitors on here, and a few of my enemies, I am a bit more leary.

Perhaps it is an age thing, and given that my identity has been stolen due to my own stupidity once, and my bank debit card has been stolen twice, I like to keep info under lock and key, and I don't think I can trust people to keep it secret. Again, I've said some pretty damning things in the past, that might bar me from employment, like being a felon.

But, I know quite a few people's real names, and I don't think they wanted me to know. It's a matter of respect in keeping an identity secret, more than any real issue of harm.

Obviously, some people don't care. Others, like me, however, do.
And, given the amount of bad blood and drama of late, it makes me wonder.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 12:06:26 PM
At 11/17/2014 12:04:43 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

It is a mild annoyance, I'll give you that, but with the amount of trolls and solicitors on here, and a few of my enemies, I am a bit more leary.

Perhaps it is an age thing, and given that my identity has been stolen due to my own stupidity once, and my bank debit card has been stolen twice, I like to keep info under lock and key, and I don't think I can trust people to keep it secret. Again, I've said some pretty damning things in the past, that might bar me from employment, like being a felon.

But, I know quite a few people's real names, and I don't think they wanted me to know. It's a matter of respect in keeping an identity secret, more than any real issue of harm.

well you might be thankful to know some of us have put water under the bridge
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 12:33:03 PM

That is all.

probably 50% of the site calls me liz rather than debatability which is okay because i obviously i dont value anonymity to a degree that some do on this site (i mean, my profile pic was my face for awhile)
i dont think its necessarily lack of self control as much as perhaps people knowing that im okay with it

however, i have seen many instances where users have been called their real name when they perhaps were not okay with it and i would agree that this needs to stop
i would guess this happens for a few reasons (1) its hard to make the distinction between those who want their names private and those who dont care... and since quite a few users are okay with the use of their real name, i would guess that the population of ddo has become slightly reckless with the use of names (2) some users simply prefer to be more personal and usually refer to users with their real name (i.e. ajab) (3) it *could* be malicious... i notice that the use of real names emerges during flame wars especially

the thing is, you can report posts with your name in it and airmax will delete this posts (from my experience) i know that if someone were to post my full name, id probably ask for it to be deleted
that beingi said, the most effective plan is to simply tell people that know your name *not* to use it publicly on ddo... im sure they will respect your wishes
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 12:50:20 PM

That is all.

I've revealed my own name to no one on this Site, but I'm often trying to reveal other people's names.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 1:06:20 PM
I think people over estimate what they can find, or more accurately, the accuracy of what they can find. There was some troll a while back that was calling people cowards for attacking him while hiding behind user names and that if we were to meet him face to face, he'd kick our butts (of course, he was also hiding behind his user name, but whatever).

I told him my first and last name and basically "come at me bro!" He tried to intimidate me by saying that he knew where I lived in Sherwood Oregon. Unfortunately, the address he found I had moved out from about 8 years before hand, so he was just a little behind the times.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 1:23:42 PM
At 11/17/2014 1:06:20 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
I think people over estimate what they can find, or more accurately, the accuracy of what they can find. There was some troll a while back that was calling people cowards for attacking him while hiding behind user names and that if we were to meet him face to face, he'd kick our butts (of course, he was also hiding behind his user name, but whatever).

I told him my first and last name and basically "come at me bro!" He tried to intimidate me by saying that he knew where I lived in Sherwood Oregon. Unfortunately, the address he found I had moved out from about 8 years before hand, so he was just a little behind the times.

You're right; I usually am unable to pinpoint someone's exact identity and address.

The DDO Blog:

Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 1:31:32 PM
At 11/17/2014 1:06:20 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Perhaps, but you are also talking to a guy who has literally had people calling his employer trying to get him fired. Also, co-workers who I thought were friends, trying to frame me for theft.
Forgive me for wanting to ensure anonymity to those who want it. Although, there are plenty of people who don't care for it.

There are probably ten users who may know my first name, and five that know my full name. Whether by mistake, coincidence, or intent, two of these people have stated my name publicly on these forums.

I've noticed it is usually teens that blab names, and also teens that usually don't care.
I suppose my rant should have been more to be more careful about it, not saying it shouldn't be done.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 1:31:55 PM
At 11/17/2014 1:25:45 PM, tylergraham95 wrote:
NO ONE GIVE MY NAME AWAY PLS nac

Good idea, because ABSOLUTELY NO ONE knows the fact that your name is Tyler Graham!

The DDO Blog:

tylergraham95
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 1:32:14 PM
At 11/17/2014 1:31:55 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Good idea, because ABSOLUTELY NO ONE knows the fact that your name is Tyler Graham!

Dammit man!
"we dig" - Jeanette Runquist (1943 - 2015)
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 1:34:11 PM
I mean....I've basically thrown down the gauntlet at every troll on the site and had my address that I live at right now on the website for literally anyone to look at.

Still haven't received a single pizza (kinda dissapointed but oh well).

You're freaking out over nothing.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 1:43:23 PM
At 11/17/2014 1:34:11 PM, Zaradi wrote:
I mean....I've basically thrown down the gauntlet at every troll on the site and had my address that I live at right now on the website for literally anyone to look at.

I posted your address in that thread which got deleted.

The DDO Blog:

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 1:45:28 PM

I think that's fair. Really, it's up to you, or to any user, whether you/they give out personal information. This is the web, and everyone should exercise caution, though.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 1:55:35 PM
At 11/17/2014 11:45:28 AM, bsh1 wrote:

Mine is, which is why I don't tell a lot of people. xD
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 1:56:14 PM

Lesson of the day:
Don't give out your name.
Solonkr~

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 1:56:27 PM

Okay Tyler, I won't. <3
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 1:56:52 PM
At 11/17/2014 1:34:11 PM, Zaradi wrote:

I really should've taken that address down.... humph...
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

9spaceking
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 2:10:03 PM
Eh. I'm pretty darn sure Bookie is the only user that knows my real name. Other than Jack, of course.
Equestrian election
http://www.debate.org...

This House would impose democracy

Reign of Terror is unjustified

Raise min. wage to $10.10
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 2:13:10 PM
Some members post aliases in the place of their real names. Perhaps everyone should do this?

The DDO Blog:

PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 2:18:29 PM
LOL whoever knows my real name can just goolge me and get a sh!t ton of stuff right off of the first page.
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 2:19:43 PM
At 11/17/2014 2:18:29 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
LOL whoever knows my real name can just goolge me and get a sh!t ton of stuff right off of the first page.

Really?... I never googled you... yet ;-)
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 2:21:05 PM
At 11/17/2014 2:19:43 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 11/17/2014 2:18:29 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:

Really?... I never googled you... yet ;-)

Well, you know my first and last names lol
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!