Jump to topic:

Suggestions to Blade and mods for spam

Linkish1O2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 7:04:39 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Exactly as the title says. My first initial thought, was that you would have to go through an activation step, just to make titles on the forums. Though if you have no phone number, and BLAH blah blah, users are still able to post in threads....but not make threads. Make sense?

My second idea was a tine limit on thread titles. You can only make one every five minutes. Though this may be a problem for some users, but initially it would stop spam ads quickly, as someone would have to wait every five- ten minutes to make a thread, so as soon as a spam thread pops up, it can be stopped before a whole page is filled with numbers and ads....

If anyone else has any ideas, please post below.
"I am a mystery and to unlock the mystery at my core, one must simply embrace slendermans hug with no fear."- me

"I hearby declare myself a phantom in the darkness."-me
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 2:46:51 PM
At 11/19/2014 7:04:39 AM, Linkish1O2 wrote:
Exactly as the title says. My first initial thought, was that you would have to go through an activation step, just to make titles on the forums. Though if you have no phone number, and BLAH blah blah, users are still able to post in threads....but not make threads. Make sense?

My second idea was a tine limit on thread titles. You can only make one every five minutes. Though this may be a problem for some users, but initially it would stop spam ads quickly, as someone would have to wait every five- ten minutes to make a thread, so as soon as a spam thread pops up, it can be stopped before a whole page is filled with numbers and ads....

But that would prevent me from making threads!
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 6:10:24 PM

They post IN threads sometimes tho...

No...

Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 6:10:41 PM
At 11/19/2014 2:46:51 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Solonkr~

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 6:14:07 PM

Actually, half of the spamming (the love crap) is from one specific phone number. Juggle could call them and inform them of what they did.
9spaceking
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 6:38:14 PM
At 11/19/2014 6:14:07 PM, RevNge wrote:

Actually, half of the spamming (the love crap) is from one specific phone number. Juggle could call them and inform them of what they did.

hes not gonna waste his time on that :(
Equestrian election
http://www.debate.org...

This House would impose democracy

Reign of Terror is unjustified

Raise min. wage to $10.10
Linkish1O2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 6:41:07 PM

Why would you want to make a thread being new anyway? You know you can register yourself with a mod within seconds right?
"I am a mystery and to unlock the mystery at my core, one must simply embrace slendermans hug with no fear."- me

RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 6:42:17 PM
At 11/19/2014 6:38:14 PM, 9spaceking wrote:

hes not gonna waste his time on that :(

Then make Airmax do it. LOL
Linkish1O2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 6:42:30 PM
At 11/19/2014 6:10:24 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

They post IN threads sometimes tho...
Yet it's ignored, rather then seeing hundreds of thousands of numbers on the front page.

No...
A description of why, is normally a great answer.

UchihaMadara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 7:03:52 PM

That'll stop 'em...
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 8:37:34 PM

Is there any evidence that the spammers are bots? Because if not, none of these solutions work except maybe the time limit, and that one would be too annoying for regular users.

The problem is that the spammers are using VPNs/proxies to bypass their IP bans.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 9:52:43 PM

Oh pity, then you'd have to go back to bubba, or Creshendo, or LogicalLunatic if you wanted to make an account....
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 9:54:41 PM
At 11/19/2014 9:52:43 PM, Zaradi wrote:

Oh pity, then you'd have to go back to bubba, or Creshendo, or LogicalLunatic if you wanted to make an account....

1. You don't know how to spell Crescendo?
2. kfc
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Linkish1O2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 9:55:18 PM
At 11/19/2014 8:37:34 PM, bluesteel wrote:

Is there any evidence that the spammers are bots? Because if not, none of these solutions work except maybe the time limit, and that one would be too annoying for regular users.

The problem is that the spammers are using VPNs/proxies to bypass their IP bans.

Indeed we have no evidence that they are bots, but to advertise, who would go through such a strenuous amount of effort, just to post ad spams? I know I would not for sure.

As for the time limit, which regular user posts a new thread every 1-5 minutes? That seems a bit to much for a regular user to me.

But then again we could combine the two suggestions, and users who haven't gone through the identification process, would have a time limit on posts, where for, those users that take the time to talk to a mod or provide a phone number, shall have the time limit released.

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 9:58:06 PM
I think I like the idea of preventing users from making a thread until 5 minutes have elapsed. A cool down period of sorts. It could even be 3 minutes.
Linkish1O2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 10:02:53 PM

We all thought it, yet you said it.

Linkish1O2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 10:03:58 PM
At 11/19/2014 9:58:06 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
I think I like the idea of preventing users from making a thread until 5 minutes have elapsed. A cool down period of sorts. It could even be 3 minutes.

I'm surprised that not even blade or the mods have commented on this thread D:

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 10:07:10 PM
At 11/19/2014 10:03:58 PM, Linkish1O2 wrote:

My original plan for helping cut down on spam is that anyone who wishes to create a new forum topic must instigate one debate. They don't have to complete it. They don't even have to actually have it. They can just put it in the challenge period and then cancel it. Anyone can instigate a debate, and doing so would substantially cut back on the spam. The debate section gets spammed maybe 10% of the time the forums do.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 10:08:51 PM

Stop trying to get people to call you!
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Linkish1O2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 10:09:36 PM
At 11/19/2014 10:07:10 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 11/19/2014 10:03:58 PM, Linkish1O2 wrote:

My original plan for helping cut down on spam is that anyone who wishes to create a new forum topic must instigate one debate. They don't have to complete it. They don't even have to actually have it. They can just put it in the challenge period and then cancel it. Anyone can instigate a debate, and doing so would substantially cut back on the spam. The debate section gets spammed maybe 10% of the time the forums do.

Im like that idea, though I feel as though our debate page would then be filled with ad spams.

RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 10:23:46 PM
At 11/19/2014 10:08:51 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Stop trying to get people to call you!

Aww, you just have a broken heart that needs mending with one of my Abu Dhabi potions. Let me cut it out and seal the cracks with my magic salve...I'm a specialist, you know.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 10:26:09 PM
At 11/19/2014 9:55:18 PM, Linkish1O2 wrote:

Indeed we have no evidence that they are bots, but to advertise, who would go through such a strenuous amount of effort, just to post ad spams? I know I would not for sure.

I mean they do all follow a standard format of gibberish text followed by a link at the end, but then again, they are often from different usernames. Do you think the bot is set up to automatically create new DDO profiles? If so, anti-bot verification measures at sign-up would be just as effective than ones everyone time you post.

As for the time limit, which regular user posts a new thread every 1-5 minutes? That seems a bit to much for a regular user to me.

I rarely make multiple forum thread within 5 minutes, but when I want to, I'd be really annoyed that I couldn't and just give up on posting the threads I wanted to, rather than waiting, unless it was really important.

A rate limit on any user with fewer than 5 debates would make more sense.

But then again we could combine the two suggestions, and users who haven't gone through the identification process, would have a time limit on posts, where for, those users that take the time to talk to a mod or provide a phone number, shall have the time limit released.

The spam accounts have all been email verified before they post (per airmax).
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 10:39:05 PM
At 11/19/2014 9:54:41 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

1. You don't know how to spell Crescendo?
2. kfc

I love how you've gone from hardcore denying it to not even caring anymore.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Linkish1O2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 11:28:15 PM
At 11/19/2014 10:26:09 PM, bluesteel wrote:

I mean they do all follow a standard format of gibberish text followed by a link at the end, but then again, they are often from different usernames. Do you think the bot is set up to automatically create new DDO profiles? If so, anti-bot verification measures at sign-up would be just as effective than ones everyone time you post.

Indeed, I do like an antibot verification, this is something I'd root for.

I rarely make multiple forum thread within 5 minutes, but when I want to, I'd be really annoyed that I couldn't and just give up on posting the threads I wanted to, rather than waiting, unless it was really important.

As you even said, it even deters you from possibly wanting to post a thread, as it may be annoying to you and I, it still stops ad spams, and that's the goal I would much rather reach.

I also agree with this suggestion as well!

Yes, but don't forget, we have a secondary verification, just for voting, I belive we can utilize this verification for a better need.

bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 11:36:49 PM
At 11/19/2014 11:28:15 PM, Linkish1O2 wrote:

As you even said, it even deters you from possibly wanting to post a thread, as it may be annoying to you and I, it still stops ad spams, and that's the goal I would much rather reach.

airmax and Juggle aren't going to go for a solution to the spam problem that impedes the ability of regular users to use the site. The fact that you'd say: "you're disadvantaged. Good! Anything that disadvantages you will also disadvantage spammers" shows how draconian you're being. Obviously, the underlying premise is faulty.

Yes, but don't forget, we have a secondary verification, just for voting, I belive we can utilize this verification for a better need.

Same as above. Phone verification just to post goes too far and prevents a lot of regular users from using the site.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2014 4:07:16 AM
At 11/19/2014 11:36:49 PM, bluesteel wrote:
Same as above. Phone verification just to post goes too far and prevents a lot of regular users from using the site.
^like me^
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

Linkish1O2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2014 6:06:04 AM
At 11/19/2014 11:28:15 PM, Linkish1O2 wrote:

airmax and Juggle aren't going to go for a solution to the spam problem that impedes the ability of regular users to use the site. The fact that you'd say: "you're disadvantaged. Good! Anything that disadvantages you will also disadvantage spammers" shows how draconian you're being. Obviously, the underlying premise is faulty.

Yet these users, if dedicated enough, would ask around and know to talk to a mod.

Annie that goes for you too.

bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2014 6:50:51 AM
At 11/20/2014 6:06:04 AM, Linkish1O2 wrote:

Yet these users, if dedicated enough, would ask around and know to talk to a mod.

Not gonna happen bra.

It's not feasible to have a site that's only usable if you have a cell phone. This particular solution is a bit like using a nuclear weapon to kill a fly. I think you need to find a fly-swatter solution.
Linkish1O2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2014 7:54:29 AM
At 11/20/2014 6:50:51 AM, bluesteel wrote:
At 11/20/2014 6:06:04 AM, Linkish1O2 wrote:

Not gonna happen bra.

It's not feasible to have a site that's only usable if you have a cell phone. This particular solution is a bit like using a nuclear weapon to kill a fly. I think you need to find a fly-swatter solution.

Yes, but remember those who don't verify via phone or mod, would only have a time limit on thread posts. Turning the nuclear bomb into a fly swatter I would presume.