Total Posts:31|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

GLOBAL WARMING: A Team Debate.

donald.keller
Posts: 3,709
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 3:35:22 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Resolution: Man-Made Global Warming is a Threat.

Character Limit: 10,000.
Voting Period: One Month.
Rounds: To Be Decided.
Voting: To Be Decided.

** I'd prefer a debate longer than 2 rounds + acceptance, but not for it to become a stretched out debate of shouting repetitions.

The Con side, so far, consists of Donald.Keller and Lannan13. We need 2 opponents. Although, I would prefer a 3 v 3.

The debate will be a clash of all the resources of both sides in a battle to end all others. The means of handling the debate (be it one round per person, or everyone working on each round) is up to the team, but it's best to apply the knowledge and resources of everyone to each round.

We need at least two people for Pro side, but would like a third in case it becomes a 3 v 3. If you're Con and want to be the third member, you can apply :D

RULES:
1) Semantics is banned.
2) Words on pictures do not go against the Character Limit (do not test it, however.)*
3) Public Opinion is unimportant. Only facts and data will be used.

*To better analyze a picture and what the parts of the picture means without hurting word count. Both sides should spend their characters to apply the picture to their side, not waste it on explaining the picture (also, text in the picture can explain the picture far better and with far less characters). The voters can decide if you over stretched the rule.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Teams:

CON
- Donald.Keller
- Lannan13
-

PRO
-
-
-

We will pick the best, most appropriate candidate we see. That candidate will then have full say on who else is on his side.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
Mikal
Posts: 11,270
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 3:37:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/23/2014 3:35:22 PM, donald.keller wrote:
Resolution: Man-Made Global Warming is a Threat.

Character Limit: 10,000.
Voting Period: One Month.
Rounds: To Be Decided.
Voting: To Be Decided.

** I'd prefer a debate longer than 2 rounds + acceptance, but not for it to become a stretched out debate of shouting repetitions.

The Con side, so far, consists of Donald.Keller and Lannan13. We need 2 opponents. Although, I would prefer a 3 v 3.

The debate will be a clash of all the resources of both sides in a battle to end all others. The means of handling the debate (be it one round per person, or everyone working on each round) is up to the team, but it's best to apply the knowledge and resources of everyone to each round.

We need at least two people for Pro side, but would like a third in case it becomes a 3 v 3. If you're Con and want to be the third member, you can apply :D

RULES:
1) Semantics is banned.
2) Words on pictures do not go against the Character Limit (do not test it, however.)*
3) Public Opinion is unimportant. Only facts and data will be used.

*To better analyze a picture and what the parts of the picture means without hurting word count. Both sides should spend their characters to apply the picture to their side, not waste it on explaining the picture (also, text in the picture can explain the picture far better and with far less characters). The voters can decide if you over stretched the rule.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Teams:

CON
- Donald.Keller
- Lannan13
-

PRO
-
-
-

We will pick the best, most appropriate candidate we see. That candidate will then have full say on who else is on his side.

let me to talk to bluesteel and we may take it for the eff of it
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 4:04:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/23/2014 3:35:22 PM, donald.keller wrote:
Resolution: Man-Made Global Warming is a Threat.

Character Limit: 10,000.
Voting Period: One Month.
Rounds: To Be Decided.
Voting: To Be Decided.

** I'd prefer a debate longer than 2 rounds + acceptance, but not for it to become a stretched out debate of shouting repetitions.

The Con side, so far, consists of Donald.Keller and Lannan13. We need 2 opponents. Although, I would prefer a 3 v 3.

The debate will be a clash of all the resources of both sides in a battle to end all others. The means of handling the debate (be it one round per person, or everyone working on each round) is up to the team, but it's best to apply the knowledge and resources of everyone to each round.

We need at least two people for Pro side, but would like a third in case it becomes a 3 v 3. If you're Con and want to be the third member, you can apply :D

RULES:
1) Semantics is banned.
2) Words on pictures do not go against the Character Limit (do not test it, however.)*
3) Public Opinion is unimportant. Only facts and data will be used.

*To better analyze a picture and what the parts of the picture means without hurting word count. Both sides should spend their characters to apply the picture to their side, not waste it on explaining the picture (also, text in the picture can explain the picture far better and with far less characters). The voters can decide if you over stretched the rule.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Teams:

CON
- Donald.Keller
- Lannan13
-

PRO
-
-
-

We will pick the best, most appropriate candidate we see. That candidate will then have full say on who else is on his side.

I wouldn't mind helping you on the Con side of this and am more then willing to give up my seat if a more qualified partner appears
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 4:24:35 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I can do it, I know so much about this topic lol
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 4:26:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/23/2014 4:24:35 PM, 16kadams wrote:
I can do it, I know so much about this topic

I can do either side btw, though I do support the con side. This is about anthropogenic global warming, not it's existence, right?
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
donald.keller
Posts: 3,709
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 4:26:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/23/2014 4:24:35 PM, 16kadams wrote:
I can do it, I know so much about this topic lol

Pro or con lol
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 4:26:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/23/2014 4:26:32 PM, donald.keller wrote:
At 11/23/2014 4:24:35 PM, 16kadams wrote:
I can do it, I know so much about this topic lol

Pro or con lol

I can do either, though I lean Con
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Mikal
Posts: 11,270
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 4:29:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/23/2014 4:26:55 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 11/23/2014 4:26:32 PM, donald.keller wrote:
At 11/23/2014 4:24:35 PM, 16kadams wrote:
I can do it, I know so much about this topic lol

Pro or con lol

I can do either, though I lean Con

wana do pro with me and bluesteel

IF bluesteel accepts ( I can talk him into it)
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 4:30:04 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/23/2014 4:29:39 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 11/23/2014 4:26:55 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 11/23/2014 4:26:32 PM, donald.keller wrote:
At 11/23/2014 4:24:35 PM, 16kadams wrote:
I can do it, I know so much about this topic lol

Pro or con lol

I can do either, though I lean Con

wana do pro with me and bluesteel

IF bluesteel accepts ( I can talk him into it)

Yeah I can do devils advocate with you guys
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 4:30:26 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
k I will be pro
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Subutai
Posts: 3,246
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 5:02:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'll take the con position.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
UchihaMadara
Posts: 1,049
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 5:14:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
damn... all you'd have to do is swap out lannan with RoyLatham, and the Con side would pretty much be the site's top three anti-AGW debaters XD
zmikecuber
Posts: 4,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 5:33:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/23/2014 5:14:23 PM, UchihaMadara wrote:
damn... all you'd have to do is swap out lannan with RoyLatham, and the Con side would pretty much be the site's top three anti-AGW debaters XD

roy is anti global warming?
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
UchihaMadara
Posts: 1,049
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 5:38:19 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/23/2014 5:33:23 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
At 11/23/2014 5:14:23 PM, UchihaMadara wrote:
damn... all you'd have to do is swap out lannan with RoyLatham, and the Con side would pretty much be the site's top three anti-AGW debaters XD

roy is anti global warming?

Yeah. Reading his debates is what has made me undecided on man-made global warming. I used to be solidly Pro on it.
zmikecuber
Posts: 4,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 5:39:00 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/23/2014 5:38:19 PM, UchihaMadara wrote:
At 11/23/2014 5:33:23 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
At 11/23/2014 5:14:23 PM, UchihaMadara wrote:
damn... all you'd have to do is swap out lannan with RoyLatham, and the Con side would pretty much be the site's top three anti-AGW debaters XD

roy is anti global warming?

Yeah. Reading his debates is what has made me undecided on man-made global warming. I used to be solidly Pro on it.

oooh.. what debates?
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
UchihaMadara
Posts: 1,049
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 5:49:17 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/23/2014 5:39:00 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
At 11/23/2014 5:38:19 PM, UchihaMadara wrote:
At 11/23/2014 5:33:23 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
At 11/23/2014 5:14:23 PM, UchihaMadara wrote:
damn... all you'd have to do is swap out lannan with RoyLatham, and the Con side would pretty much be the site's top three anti-AGW debaters XD

roy is anti global warming?

Yeah. Reading his debates is what has made me undecided on man-made global warming. I used to be solidly Pro on it.

oooh.. what debates?

This one was pretty good:
http://www.debate.org...
donald.keller
Posts: 3,709
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 6:08:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/23/2014 5:02:58 PM, Subutai wrote:
I'll take the con position.

Yay!
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
lannan13
Posts: 23,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 6:11:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/23/2014 5:14:23 PM, UchihaMadara wrote:
damn... all you'd have to do is swap out lannan with RoyLatham, and the Con side would pretty much be the site's top three anti-AGW debaters XD

lol, thanks for the compliment.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 9:52:51 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/23/2014 5:38:19 PM, UchihaMadara wrote:
At 11/23/2014 5:33:23 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
At 11/23/2014 5:14:23 PM, UchihaMadara wrote:
damn... all you'd have to do is swap out lannan with RoyLatham, and the Con side would pretty much be the site's top three anti-AGW debaters XD

roy is anti global warming?

Yeah. Reading his debates is what has made me undecided on man-made global warming. I used to be solidly Pro on it.

The science of climate change has developed quite a bit since Roy's debates happened many years ago. Keep that in mind. It has changed enough that former climate skeptic and UC Berkeley professor Richard Muller has changed his mind on the issue, changing his position from "man-made global warming is a wholly speculative phenomenon" to "okay, the weight of the evidence shows it is a threat."
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
UchihaMadara
Posts: 1,049
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 9:58:21 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/23/2014 9:52:51 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 11/23/2014 5:38:19 PM, UchihaMadara wrote:
At 11/23/2014 5:33:23 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
At 11/23/2014 5:14:23 PM, UchihaMadara wrote:
damn... all you'd have to do is swap out lannan with RoyLatham, and the Con side would pretty much be the site's top three anti-AGW debaters XD

roy is anti global warming?

Yeah. Reading his debates is what has made me undecided on man-made global warming. I used to be solidly Pro on it.

The science of climate change has developed quite a bit since Roy's debates happened many years ago. Keep that in mind. It has changed enough that former climate skeptic and UC Berkeley professor Richard Muller has changed his mind on the issue, changing his position from "man-made global warming is a wholly speculative phenomenon" to "okay, the weight of the evidence shows it is a threat."

Well, he did one recently that was pretty convincing... though, admittedly, I didn't examine his sources very closely, and his opponent didn't put up much of a fight. I certainly look forward to seeing your argument; I haven't been able to find any debates on here with a strong case from the Pro side, and searching the web hasn't proven to turn up much particularly compelling evidence either.
donald.keller
Posts: 3,709
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 12:28:22 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Roles seem to be found. So news will be posted here lol.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 1:38:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/23/2014 9:58:21 PM, UchihaMadara wrote:
At 11/23/2014 9:52:51 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 11/23/2014 5:38:19 PM, UchihaMadara wrote:
At 11/23/2014 5:33:23 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
At 11/23/2014 5:14:23 PM, UchihaMadara wrote:
damn... all you'd have to do is swap out lannan with RoyLatham, and the Con side would pretty much be the site's top three anti-AGW debaters XD

roy is anti global warming?

Yeah. Reading his debates is what has made me undecided on man-made global warming. I used to be solidly Pro on it.

The science of climate change has developed quite a bit since Roy's debates happened many years ago. Keep that in mind. It has changed enough that former climate skeptic and UC Berkeley professor Richard Muller has changed his mind on the issue, changing his position from "man-made global warming is a wholly speculative phenomenon" to "okay, the weight of the evidence shows it is a threat."

Well, he did one recently that was pretty convincing... though, admittedly, I didn't examine his sources very closely, and his opponent didn't put up much of a fight. I certainly look forward to seeing your argument; I haven't been able to find any debates on here with a strong case from the Pro side, and searching the web hasn't proven to turn up much particularly compelling evidence either.

I have a lot of debates CON on that too, though I am being PRO in this debate.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
tylergraham95
Posts: 1,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 1:53:36 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/23/2014 4:47:11 PM, Mikal wrote:
Accepted

Pro Team

Mikal
Bluesteel
16k Adams

If 16k doesn't want to do it let me know. I'd love to fill in. DK and I debated this a while back.
"we dig" - Jeanette Runquist (1943 - 2015)
Mikal
Posts: 11,270
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 1:54:21 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/24/2014 1:53:36 PM, tylergraham95 wrote:
At 11/23/2014 4:47:11 PM, Mikal wrote:
Accepted

Pro Team

Mikal
Bluesteel
16k Adams

If 16k doesn't want to do it let me know. I'd love to fill in. DK and I debated this a while back.

if 16k is out def, you mind doing it from my profile. Like we can meet up on google + hangouts and write on google docs
donald.keller
Posts: 3,709
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 6:26:04 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
For everyone: http://www.debate.org...
The debate has been challenged.

I wouldn't mind if Tyler was in the debate.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 9:13:12 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/23/2014 5:49:17 PM, UchihaMadara wrote:
At 11/23/2014 5:39:00 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
At 11/23/2014 5:38:19 PM, UchihaMadara wrote:
At 11/23/2014 5:33:23 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
At 11/23/2014 5:14:23 PM, UchihaMadara wrote:
damn... all you'd have to do is swap out lannan with RoyLatham, and the Con side would pretty much be the site's top three anti-AGW debaters XD

roy is anti global warming?

Yeah. Reading his debates is what has made me undecided on man-made global warming. I used to be solidly Pro on it.

oooh.. what debates?

This one was pretty good:
http://www.debate.org...

I'm not convinced of the CON side. I skimmed the debate and was hooked on the point about Antarctic sea ice increasing. However, after about 5 minutes of digging, I found this article:

http://www.slate.com...

"First, let"s distinguish between sea ice and land ice. Since sea ice floats in the ocean, its growth or melt doesn"t affect global sea levels. Antarctic land ice, on the other hand, does contribute to sea level rise, and it"s losing volume at a record pace. In fact, a frightening study earlier this year found that a key glacier in West Antarctica has entered an inevitable, slow-motion collapse phase, with dire consequences for the world"s coastal cities. A follow-up study last month for the first time put an upper bounds on the impacts of melting Antarctic glaciers in our children"s lifetimes."

"By the end of the week, Antarctic sea ice will probably set yet another record. Just remember, it"s definitely not because Antarctica (or any other large swath of the planet) is getting colder."


It's funny, because Roy makes a big point about having an MS in statistics, yet in this instance affirms the saying "lies, damn lies, and statistics".
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?