Anyone interested in a debate on the Red*kins

kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 7:46:08 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Hi y'all!

Anyone interested in debating whether Washington's team should change it's name? I'm for changing it.

Let me know!
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 9:28:13 PM
At 11/23/2014 7:46:08 PM, kbub wrote:
Hi y'all!

Anyone interested in debating whether Washington's team should change it's name? I'm for changing it.

Let me know!

I'd be Con. Though I'm very interested in taking that debate I'm kinda dettered, because I feel that it would only get into a political correctness and race war.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
UchihaMadara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 9:34:41 PM
Hi y'all!

Let me know!

Me! Me! Me!
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 9:49:43 PM
Hi y'all!

Let me know!

What's Red*kins? It sounds like how Mike Tyson might pronounce it.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 12:43:03 AM
At 11/23/2014 10:48:41 PM, UchihaMadara wrote:
LOL I just noticed that he censored it XD

kbub, "redskins" isn't as taboo as "n*gger"....

Well, kbub tries to not offend anyone...
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
UchihaMadara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 12:44:12 AM
At 11/24/2014 12:43:03 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Maybe s/he tries a little too hard...
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 12:46:09 AM
At 11/24/2014 12:44:12 AM, UchihaMadara wrote:

Perhaps...I don't censor "Redskin" and I don't care about it being a team name...there's the Chiefs, Indians, Blackhawks...but "Redskins" is all that can tick off a Native American, according to some people.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 12:47:06 AM
The bigger crime, in my opinion, is the beer they were caught selling.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 12:48:06 AM
At 11/24/2014 12:47:06 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

http://www.washingtonpost.com...

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
UchihaMadara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 12:51:32 AM
At 11/24/2014 12:46:09 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Perhaps...I don't censor "Redskin" and I don't care about it being a team name...there's the Chiefs, Indians, Blackhawks...but "Redskins" is all that can tick off a Native American, according to some people.

lol I would argue that even "redskins" doesn't even tick off that many natives.
it just ticks off a few advocacy groups who supposedly represent the opinions of hundreds of other tribes.... or at least, the chiefs of those hundreds of other tribes.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 12:53:40 AM
At 11/24/2014 12:51:32 AM, UchihaMadara wrote:

it just ticks off a few advocacy groups who supposedly represent the opinions of hundreds of other tribes.... or at least, the chiefs of those hundreds of other tribes.

That's what I think, but the majority of people don't care, and don't have a strong opinion: so only a few people are being heard, and they happen to be the ones being listened to.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 12:55:37 AM
@Uchiha

http://www.debate.org...

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 1:31:12 AM

It's not just the chiefs of each tribe. "We found opponents of the name in 18 tribes: veterans of the U.S. military, lawyers, college students, cultural center employees, school volunteers and restaurant servers." [http://mmqb.si.com...] The name "Redskins" is more offensive than a name like "Seminoles" because (1) it has racist overtones: it is a commentary on skin color, like calling Asian people "yellow," whereas Seminoles is merely the actual name of the tribe, and (2) the Seminoles use the name and mascot with the actual tribe's permission [same source].

It's kind of hard to invoke broader polls, like of Americans in general, or even that a majority of Native Americans don't care. This country has acknowledged that racism has pernicious effects on the psyche of the targeted group, even if the majority of people support the racism. And the name has little redeeming value. It's not like people are attracted to the brand: unlike a company like Coca Cola, the Redskins fans watch the sport to support a local team and to watch good football games. It's hard to argue that no one would watch them anymore if they were the "Washington Black Mambas" or something like that.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 1:35:06 AM
At 11/24/2014 1:31:12 AM, bluesteel wrote:

It's not just the chiefs of each tribe. "We found opponents of the name in 18 tribes: veterans of the U.S. military, lawyers, college students, cultural center employees, school volunteers and restaurant servers." [http://mmqb.si.com...] The name "Redskins" is more offensive than a name like "Seminoles" because (1) it has racist overtones: it is a commentary on skin color, like calling Asian people "yellow," whereas Seminoles is merely the actual name of the tribe, and (2) the Seminoles use the name and mascot with the actual tribe's permission [same source].

It's kind of hard to invoke broader polls, like of Americans in general, or even that a majority of Native Americans don't care. This country has acknowledged that racism has pernicious effects on the psyche of the targeted group, even if the majority of people support the racism. And the name has little redeeming value. It's not like people are attracted to the brand: unlike a company like Coca Cola, the Redskins fans watch the sport to support a local team and to watch good football games. It's hard to argue that no one would watch them anymore if they were the "Washington Black Mambas" or something like that.

I don't sypathize with the skin color argument. We only care about Native Americans and Asians in that respect, apparently, when we throw around the words "white" and "black."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 3:11:10 AM
At 11/24/2014 1:35:06 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

I don't sypathize with the skin color argument. We only care about Native Americans and Asians in that respect, apparently, when we throw around the words "white" and "black."

Yeah except "white" and "black" is actually descriptive. Asians don't actually have "yellow" skin nor do Native Americans actually have "red" skin. It's far too simplistic an argument to say "well we call white people 'white,' so no pejorative term based on skin color can actually be considered pejorative." Words have whatever meaning we give them. "Black" could be a pejorative term if it was meant to be one, but it's not. "Black" was meant to *replace* offensive designations such as "n*gger" and "Negro," and is preferable to the term "African American" since not all black people are U.S. citizens. In contrast to the word "black," "redskin" was meant to be pejorative. "'Redskin is a slang term for Native Americans defined in current dictionaries of American English as 'usually offensive,' 'disparaging,' 'offensive,' and 'taboo.'" [http://en.wikipedia.org...] Language simply doesn't work the way you're implying. It's be like saying "well, the numbers 65, 66, 67, and 68 have no sexual innuendo associated with them, so the number 69 can't possible either." Since language is a fluid concept, you can't make simple analogies like that.
kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 9:01:23 AM
At 11/24/2014 3:11:10 AM, bluesteel wrote:

Yeah except "white" and "black" is actually descriptive. Asians don't actually have "yellow" skin nor do Native Americans actually have "red" skin. It's far too simplistic an argument to say "well we call white people 'white,' so no pejorative term based on skin color can actually be considered pejorative." Words have whatever meaning we give them. "Black" could be a pejorative term if it was meant to be one, but it's not. "Black" was meant to *replace* offensive designations such as "n*gger" and "Negro," and is preferable to the term "African American" since not all black people are U.S. citizens. In contrast to the word "black," "redskin" was meant to be pejorative. "'Redskin is a slang term for Native Americans defined in current dictionaries of American English as 'usually offensive,' 'disparaging,' 'offensive,' and 'taboo.'" [http://en.wikipedia.org...] Language simply doesn't work the way you're implying. It's be like saying "well, the numbers 65, 66, 67, and 68 have no sexual innuendo associated with them, so the number 69 can't possible either." Since language is a fluid concept, you can't make simple analogies like that.

Nice arguments!
kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 9:01:57 AM
At 11/24/2014 12:47:06 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

How do you mean?
kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 9:17:58 AM

Haha maybe that's true, but I'm not so sure. I think that I've offended a fair number of people on DDO.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 9:26:14 AM
I find it interesting that overwhelmingly Navajo Red Mesa High School not only use the nickname "Redskins", but take pride in it.

No offense, but I'll trust actual actual Native Americans on what offends them rather than let white liberals define that for them.
UchihaMadara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 9:38:40 AM
At 11/24/2014 9:26:14 AM, TN05 wrote:
I find it interesting that overwhelmingly Navajo Red Mesa High School not only use the nickname "Redskins", but take pride in it.

No offense, but I'll trust actual actual Native Americans on what offends them rather than let white liberals define that for them.

+1
UchihaMadara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 9:39:34 AM
At 11/24/2014 9:01:23 AM, kbub wrote:
At 11/24/2014 3:11:10 AM, bluesteel wrote:

Nice arguments!

haha are you gonna run them in our debate?
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 10:12:28 AM
I don't understand the big deal.
Was Redskin a deragatory term? Maybe. I don't think so, since there was injun. I think it was a neutral term.

So, the term itself is not offensive, unless you choose to take offense.
So, why is Redskins their name? Because it strikes fear into their enemies.
Isn't that what a name and/or mascot are for?

Similar to the Fighting Irish.
Watch out, cuz here they come!!

I mean, was the Negro league (when they existed) a racist term?

LOL, I doubt any of this makes any sense.
My work here is, finally, done.
kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 11:24:51 AM
At 11/24/2014 10:12:28 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Was Redskin a deragatory term? Maybe. I don't think so, since there was injun. I think it was a neutral term.

Is that a challenge?
kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 11:25:50 AM

Is that a challenge?
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 11:29:51 AM
At 11/24/2014 11:24:51 AM, kbub wrote:
At 11/24/2014 10:12:28 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Is that a challenge?

Nah.
I don't do well in debates - too restrictive.
I prefer the forums.
My work here is, finally, done.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 11:58:39 AM
Hi y'all!

Let me know!

have you considered what the people it refers to actually think? Because most political correct advocates don't consider it, and most of the people they're "advocating" for don't even care
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 12:20:26 PM
At 11/24/2014 11:25:50 AM, kbub wrote:

Is that a challenge?

Sure.
kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 1:01:03 PM
At 11/24/2014 12:20:26 PM, TN05 wrote:
At 11/24/2014 11:25:50 AM, kbub wrote:

Is that a challenge?

Sure.

Nice! Let's talk specifics: http://www.debate.org...
kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 1:02:49 PM
At 11/24/2014 11:58:39 AM, cybertron1998 wrote:
Hi y'all!

Let me know!

have you considered what the people it refers to actually think? Because most political correct advocates don't consider it, and most of the people they're "advocating" for don't even care

I have, yes.