My Update: the AAN Program + the DDO Election

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 10:06:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Aloha, everyone!

The first thing I want to talk about is the Adopt-a-Noob program (AAN). I think, rather than having noobs being adopted by more experienced members, we should move to something similar to what beginners' mafia looks like. My concerns with the former idea are that there many not be sufficient experienced volunteers, and that they could become overburdened by new applicants. I am also want to make sure that all members are getting roughly equal levels of assistance, and so having very individualized help might be problematic to that end.

What I am proposing--and I've run this idea past Bladerunner--is that regular AAN tournaments be held sort of like beginners' mafia. There would be a mod and maybe one or two advisors who would then cater to everyone. This keeps everything more centralized on the part of the experienced members. Tournaments would be capped at 8 noobs, and would be sudden-death tournaments. Noobs could sign up for a maximum of two tournaments before "graduating" the program. I think that this would be practical, and since it's worked in mafia, I think a version of it could also be implemented with success in the main forums/for the whole DDO community.

Blade and I would, of course, appreciate any feedback or commentary you have on this idea. Personally, I think trying this program out for a term (6 months) would give us some concrete evidence to weigh as well, and would therefore be worthwhile.

The second issue I want to discuss is slightly more personal. I am spending far too much time on DDO, and I need to re-focus my life towards things going on IRL. I find that DDO has overtaken my real-life commitments, and I think it is important that I prioritize my real life, over the one I have here, despite how much I love this community and how much I respect so many of its members. I feel like this is the right decision, despite it being an agonizing one to make.

To that end, I have informed Blade that I will no longer be able to serve as his Vice-President; I have also resigned as a religion forum ambassador. I would feel terrible if I continued to serve in those roles, but then wasn't active on the sight to support him if and when I am need. That would neither be responsible nor fair of me, and it's not something I am prepared to do. Therefore, I will complete my current term, but will not stand for reelection on Blade's ticket.

Of course, Blade has my full confidence, and I think, as his Vice-President, that he has done an outstanding job as President. I intend to vote for him and whoever he selects as my replacement when the time comes in December. Until that point, I will continue to be active, and will serve in whatever capacity that I am needed to. But again, I wish Blade good luck in his election, and, hopefully, in his second term in office.

That's all I have to say...so, I'll just leave it there, I guess. But, please feel free to offer any feedback re: AAN that you may have. It would definitely be appreciated.

Mahalo and Aloha,

Brian (bsh1)
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 10:19:24 PM
I'm sorry to hear that you have to take a break from DDO. You will be missed in the interim.

As far as the AAN program, to me, the biggest problem is the barrier to entry for more experienced members, which includes how much time it takes to truly mentor someone and teach them how to debate well. I'm sure a tournament could help extreme noobs learn basic formatting and the idea of researching arguments (instead of just spouting whatever comes into your head), but the tournament really increases the barrier to entry because it means that whoever administers the tournament has to help 8 people instead of one. I'd be fine with it as long as someone else is willing to administer and might be willing to be the prize, meaning the winner of the noob tournament would get me as a more permanent mentor.

However, I think it's not analogous quite to beginner's mafia. The amount of mentoring required is akin to having an experienced member read over every post that a n00b is about to make in a mafia game. Mentorship in debate requires proof-reading your n00bs arguments prior to posting and making suggestions. It's not as simple as a mod giving subtle advice and explaining things here and there.

I'm not sure what your definition of a n00b is, but the people I'm willing to mentor need to show a commitment to debate beyond merely having joined the site. They need enough of a desire to improve that they're willing to take suggestions that vastly increase the amount of time it takes to do a debate (e.g. researching and proof-reading). To me, a noob worthy of an assistance program is one who has already shown a desire to use the site, but is not sure how to improve their skills. It would probably include people that most would consider not very noob-like because they probably have a decent win record already just simply from their dedication. Just some things to consider, i.e. changing what you consider a n00b to be as far as the program is concerned.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 10:34:06 PM
At 11/23/2014 10:19:24 PM, bluesteel wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that you have to take a break from DDO. You will be missed in the interim.

As far as the AAN program, to me, the biggest problem is the barrier to entry for more experienced members, which includes how much time it takes to truly mentor someone and teach them how to debate well. I'm sure a tournament could help extreme noobs learn basic formatting and the idea of researching arguments (instead of just spouting whatever comes into your head), but the tournament really increases the barrier to entry because it means that whoever administers the tournament has to help 8 people instead of one. I'd be fine with it as long as someone else is willing to administer and might be willing to be the prize, meaning the winner of the noob tournament would get me as a more permanent mentor.

It wouldn't just be one person, ideally. You'd have maybe three people working with all the noobs.

However, I think it's not analogous quite to beginner's mafia. The amount of mentoring required is akin to having an experienced member read over every post that a n00b is about to make in a mafia game. Mentorship in debate requires proof-reading your n00bs arguments prior to posting and making suggestions. It's not as simple as a mod giving subtle advice and explaining things here and there.

Sure, the noobs require more mentoring than a new mafia player, and I recognize that. The people who run AAN tournaments will need to be aware of this as well, and provide the requisite levels of assistance.

I am not comparing raising noobs in general with raising new mafia players, rather, I am suggesting that there are benefits to the mafia model that could be cross-applied.

I'm not sure what your definition of a n00b is, but the people I'm willing to mentor need to show a commitment to debate beyond merely having joined the site. They need enough of a desire to improve that they're willing to take suggestions that vastly increase the amount of time it takes to do a debate (e.g. researching and proof-reading). To me, a noob worthy of an assistance program is one who has already shown a desire to use the site, but is not sure how to improve their skills. It would probably include people that most would consider not very noob-like because they probably have a decent win record already just simply from their dedication. Just some things to consider, i.e. changing what you consider a n00b to be as far as the program is concerned.

Okie dokie. Thanks for the feedback!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 10:51:34 PM
At 11/23/2014 10:36:56 PM, UchihaMadara wrote:
We'll miss you during your period of inactivity, Bsh :/

Resigning as VP =/= inactivity,

Do I qualify as a n00b?

Not IMO.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

UchihaMadara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 10:52:42 PM
At 11/23/2014 10:51:34 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 11/23/2014 10:36:56 PM, UchihaMadara wrote:
We'll miss you during your period of inactivity, Bsh :/

Resigning as VP =/= inactivity,

Well, you did say you also wanted to concentrate more on IRL stuff in general too...

Do I qualify as a n00b?

Not IMO.

whyyyy D:
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 10:55:37 PM
At 11/23/2014 10:34:06 PM, bsh1 wrote:

It wouldn't just be one person, ideally. You'd have maybe three people working with all the noobs.

dont you think it could potentially lead to mentors stepping on each others toes?
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 11:00:08 PM
At 11/23/2014 10:55:37 PM, Cermank wrote:

dont you think it could potentially lead to mentors stepping on each others toes?

Perhaps, but I think there are things could be done to avoid that, e.g. taking turns helping individuals.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

UchihaMadara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 10:03:15 AM

n00b: I'm gonna run an argument from util!

Zaradi: wtf? that's the shittiest idea I've ever heard

n00b: but... thett told me to...

Zaradi: don't listen to that moron. run the suffering K instead

n00b: okay...

thett: idiot. that's like the worst kritik ever

bsh: kritiks in general are bad sportsmanship

YYW: what bsh said <3

Zaradi: stfu

bluesteel: why are you guys even mentors? you all suck compared to me

Raisor: gtfo dude

n00b: *cries*
Ajabi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 11:02:17 AM
At 11/24/2014 10:03:15 AM, UchihaMadara wrote:

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 11:07:22 AM

I think that there are about five people on DDO who could "mentor" (maybe six or seven, but definitely at least five) and while I might be one of them I don't have the time to do it. If bsh1 or bluesteel want to do it, I applaud them, though.

I don't think that debaters should worry about mentor's stepping on each other's toes because there isn't one "absolutely right" way to do debate. There are better or worse ways, and techniques that work differently with different people.

Debate is one of those activities where there should be a lot of different perspectives in, too. I can say from personal experience that the "stepping on each other's toes" issue is something that debate "mentors" are going to have to work out themselves, as well.

When one "mentor" says one thing that conflicts with what another "mentor" says, there has to be an understanding that it's not an "either-or" type situation. It's a "you do what works best for you" thing -with the understanding that the purpose of the exercise of mentoring is to impart a skill to a mentee, not to show up the other mentors.

I'm sure, however, that wouldn't be an issue with this, though.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 11:10:32 AM
And as a side note, I hate K's. The only time a K is appropriate is if the resolution is "actually" flawed. What it means for a resolution to be "actually" flawed is a pretty high standard to meet, and almost no "conventional" debate topics (like those imparted by the National Forensics League or the NCFL) meet that standard. While lately the NFL has chosen some really stupid topics (which has certain impacts on the exercise of debating), not even the "right to be forgotten" is so flawed that it merits a K.
Tsar of DDO
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 12:45:34 PM
At 11/24/2014 11:48:47 AM, RevNge wrote:
Pls...I need to be adopted... :D

*hugs*
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 12:46:56 PM
At 11/24/2014 10:03:15 AM, UchihaMadara wrote:

LMFAO...This is hilarious.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 2:21:12 PM
At 11/23/2014 10:06:30 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Aloha, everyone!

re: Adopt-a-Noob program (AAN).
I think having a 1 on 1 thing is nice, but tbh, a lot of experienced members won't want to be coaches.

Also, concerning the tourney itself, I think the noobs, like me, need to learn more about debating and how it is, before we're just thrown into one.

re: regular AAN tournaments be held sort of like beginners' mafia.
"There would be a mod and maybe one or two advisors who would then cater to everyone. This keeps everything more centralized on the part of the experienced members. Tournaments would be capped at 8 noobs, and would be sudden-death tournaments. Noobs could sign up for a maximum of two tournaments before "graduating" the program. I think that this would be practical, and since it's worked in mafia, I think a version of it could also be implemented with success in the main forums/for the whole DDO community.

This is a good idea, but before being thrown into the sharks, there should be an actual program showing one how to debate, little tricks here and there.
It could be divided into:
-Serious debates
-Troll debates
etc
Stuff like that.

Have little tidbits and stuff!

re: slightly more personal issue
To that end, I have informed Blade that I will no longer be able to serve as his Vice-President; I have also resigned as a religion forum ambassador. I would feel terrible if I continued to serve in those roles, but then wasn't active on the sight to support him if and when I am need. That would neither be responsible nor fair of me, and it's not something I am prepared to do. Therefore, I will complete my current term, but will not stand for reelection on Blade's ticket.
If it means anything, I think you're a great member! One, you know, I value very much. [*wink*]
P.S. Dude... it's 'site'...

Of course, Blade has my full confidence, and I think, as his Vice-President, that he has done an outstanding job as President. I intend to vote for him and whoever he selects as my replacement when the time comes in December. Until that point, I will continue to be active, and will serve in whatever capacity that I am needed to. But again, I wish Blade good luck in his election, and, hopefully, in his second term in office.
Wait- when is the next elections?!

That's all I have to say...so, I'll just leave it there, I guess. But, please feel free to offer any feedback re: AAN that you may have. It would definitely be appreciated.
*HUGS*
Mahalo and Aloha,
wut
Brian (bsh1)
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 2:24:59 PM
At 11/24/2014 2:21:12 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
Aloha, everyone!

re: Adopt-a-Noob program (AAN).
I think having a 1 on 1 thing is nice, but tbh, a lot of experienced members won't want to be coaches.

Agreed.

Also, concerning the tourney itself, I think the noobs, like me, need to learn more about debating and how it is, before we're just thrown into one.

Ideally, that's something that the mentors would help them with.

re: slightly more personal issue
If it means anything, I think you're a great member! One, you know, I value very much. [*wink*]

Thanks.

Wait- when is the next elections?!

Early December.

Mahalo and Aloha,
wut

Mahalo = Thank you in Hawaiian
Aloha = Hello and Goodbye in Hawaiian
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 2:29:22 PM
At 11/24/2014 2:24:59 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Or actually-
*Inspired by Uchiha*

What about the experienced members, share what they're good at?!

Like each experienced member who signs up to help, can teach a certain thing.

YYW and bluesteel can teach their boobs how to make their opponent give up and run crying to their mummies.
You could teach how to be an awesome debater and be sweet about it too! So while your opponents are losing, they're fantasizing about you <3
Like our debate right now... (shameless plug) :P
Solonkr~

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 2:33:48 PM
At 11/24/2014 2:29:22 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
Or actually-
*Inspired by Uchiha*

Possibly. Again, I'd want to give the mentors' some discretion with how duties are divvied up, but this isn't a bad idea.

YYW and bluesteel can teach their boobs how to make their opponent give up and run crying to their mummies.

LMFAO...

You could teach how to be an awesome debater and be sweet about it too! So while your opponents are losing, they're fantasizing about you <3

Umm...I am not sure I want to teach anyone how to do that...that's creepy.

Umm...no words.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 2:35:10 PM
At 11/24/2014 2:33:48 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Or actually-
*Inspired by Uchiha*

Possibly. Again, I'd want to give the mentors' some discretion with how duties are divvied up, but this isn't a bad idea.

LMFAO...

... uhh... umm... uhh... ok...

All you have to do is teach them to debate and be like you and it'll happen naturally bae <3

Umm...no words.

Lol
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 2:37:50 PM
At 11/24/2014 2:35:10 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 11/24/2014 2:33:48 PM, bsh1 wrote:

All you have to do is teach them to debate and be like you and it'll happen naturally bae <3

OMG...no...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

UchihaMadara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 5:24:02 PM

I'm going to sue you if you don't erase the image you just put in my head...
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 5:27:30 PM
Who'll be the new VP?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 5:31:21 PM
At 11/24/2014 5:27:30 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Who'll be the new VP?

I guess we'll find out after the elections.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 5:32:56 PM
At 11/24/2014 5:31:21 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
Who'll be the new VP?

So what you're saying is that until the next election there will be no VP?

The DDO Blog:

mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 5:33:45 PM
At 11/24/2014 5:32:56 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Who'll be the new VP?

I don't know if he's resigning right this minute...
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 5:36:04 PM
At 11/24/2014 5:33:45 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
Who'll be the new VP?

I just read the OP over again, and you're right.

The DDO Blog:

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 5:37:26 PM
At 11/24/2014 5:24:02 PM, UchihaMadara wrote:

LMFAO...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 5:37:32 PM
At 11/24/2014 5:36:04 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 11/24/2014 5:33:45 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
Who'll be the new VP?

I just read the OP over again, and you're right.

Okay. I thought he would finish out the term.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 5:39:02 PM
At 11/24/2014 5:24:02 PM, UchihaMadara wrote:

The cost of erasing the image is much more cumbersome than that of suing me. You sure you wanna go through with this?
*raises pick axe*
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY