Jump to topic:

Voting Guild

bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 10:06:49 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'm starting a new group that I'm terming the Voting Guild. Essentially, it's a mechanism to ensure that it's members receive sufficient voters and RFD's on either (1) debates that have zero or near-zero votes, and (2) debates that a member thinks are particular good and wants more feedback on.

If you become a member, you are committing to vote on *five* debates per week. Members will apply to me to have their debate listed as one of the five that you must vote on. I will decide which debates will be included based on (a) how few voters there are, with debates with zero votes taking first priority, (b) whether the debate is considered high quality or particularly interesting, based on its content, a preliminary review of the contentions, and the quality of the opponent, and (c) how long the member has gone without making any requests, with members that make fewer requests jumping ahead in terms of priority.

Members who consistently fail to vote will either be kicked from the Guild or have their debates priority downgraded in terms of inclusion within the 5 debates per week that are sent out to Guild members. I will use my discretion to determine whether the member is kicked or simply has their debates downgraded in priority until they catch up on their voting obligations. However, my decision will depend on how well the member has performed in the past. If the member is just having a bad week, that will be forgiven if they have been consistent in the past about voting.

Please affix your name below if you are interesting in becoming a members.

For now, membership will be limited to fifteen members so that members can consistently get their own debates voted on. Depending on experience, I may expand the number of total members if it seems feasible to do so.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
UchihaMadara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 10:38:34 PM
At 11/23/2014 10:06:49 PM, bluesteel wrote:
I'm starting a new group that I'm terming the Voting Guild. Essentially, it's a mechanism to ensure that it's members receive sufficient voters and RFD's on either (1) debates that have zero or near-zero votes, and (2) debates that a member thinks are particular good and wants more feedback on.

If you become a member, you are committing to vote on *five* debates per week. Members will apply to me to have their debate listed as one of the five that you must vote on. I will decide which debates will be included based on (a) how few voters there are, with debates with zero votes taking first priority, (b) whether the debate is considered high quality or particularly interesting, based on its content, a preliminary review of the contentions, and the quality of the opponent, and (c) how long the member has gone without making any requests, with members that make fewer requests jumping ahead in terms of priority.

Members who consistently fail to vote will either be kicked from the Guild or have their debates priority downgraded in terms of inclusion within the 5 debates per week that are sent out to Guild members. I will use my discretion to determine whether the member is kicked or simply has their debates downgraded in priority until they catch up on their voting obligations. However, my decision will depend on how well the member has performed in the past. If the member is just having a bad week, that will be forgiven if they have been consistent in the past about voting.

Please affix your name below if you are interesting in becoming a members.

1. UchihaMadara

For now, membership will be limited to fifteen members so that members can consistently get their own debates voted on. Depending on experience, I may expand the number of total members if it seems feasible to do so.
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 12:27:01 AM
It like my old group?
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 1:15:03 AM
At 11/24/2014 12:27:01 AM, donald.keller wrote:
It like my old group?

I can't speak to its similarity to other groups, since i've never been part of those groups. I can tell you that i'll follow the guidelines i've outlined above, which I think strike a fair balance between getting all the members important debates voted on versus minimizing the burden placed on the members to have to vote on too many debates. In that regard, I think it's different. All I'm asking is you judge *at most* five debates a week and in exchange, when you have a debate you really need votes on, you'll get them.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 1:17:47 AM
At 11/23/2014 10:43:07 PM, UchihaMadara wrote:
lol this is a lot like Blade-of-Truth's council

maybe you should just join that and overthrow him as leader

^
Ajabi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 1:30:53 AM
At 11/24/2014 1:15:03 AM, bluesteel wrote:
At 11/24/2014 12:27:01 AM, donald.keller wrote:
It like my old group?

I can't speak to its similarity to other groups, since i've never been part of those groups. I can tell you that i'll follow the guidelines i've outlined above, which I think strike a fair balance between getting all the members important debates voted on versus minimizing the burden placed on the members to have to vote on too many debates. In that regard, I think it's different. All I'm asking is you judge *at most* five debates a week and in exchange, when you have a debate you really need votes on, you'll get them.

I'm up for it if you want me.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 4:53:28 AM
1. UchihaMadara
2. bluesteel
3. ajab
carriead20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 9:16:49 AM
At 11/24/2014 4:53:28 AM, bluesteel wrote:
1. UchihaMadara
2. bluesteel
3. ajab
4.carriead
To all the people fighting a hard battle out there - life's giving you a pretty hard beating. There's no sugarcoating that, but there's no shadow that's free of light. When life sneers at you and asks, "Ready to go again?" - Raise your hand. Reach out to victory. Don't give in.

---Help Bsh and YYW see each other---
http://www.gofundme.com...
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 10:59:35 AM

This is eerily similar to the Council... even down to the limitation of members since the Council also tries to keep it at 15 members at any given time. I'm curious what your motivations and process were for creating something like this.

With that said, I've always been in support of other voting groups. When Bladerunner first approached me wanting the Council as part of his administration I had to respectfully turn him down because he wanted to make some changes I didn't support, but when he then asked one of my fellow Council members, Whiteflame, to create his own voting group as part of the administration I shared the news within the Council and promoted the group so that Council members were aware and could sign up for his voting group as well. Whiteflame remains a respected member of the Council and his own voting group has done alot of good for the community as well.

In my very first Council thread post I said that at the end of the day this is about leaving no debate unvoted. That point still holds true to me.

If you don't mind, it would be an honor to be a part of your Voting Guild. We are all fighting the same battle here, and with a leader like yourself I see no reason why yours wouldn't meet the same success mine has. I'd also really like to extend an invitation for you to be a part of the Council if you're willing. I view it all as beneficial to the site. So, even if you don't feel like being a member of the Council, I'd still really enjoy being a member of this guild.

1. UchihaMadara
2. bluesteel
3. ajab
4. Carriead20
5. Blade of Truth
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
9spaceking
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 6:08:43 PM
1. UchihaMadara
2. bluesteel
3. ajab
4. 9space
Equestrian election