Jump to topic:

Attack on Liberal Announcement

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2014 6:38:19 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I typed up episode 4 earlier today, and it literally took me several hours to write it. RIGHT when I finished writing it and was about to post it, my *expletives not appropriate for children* Kindle Fire deleted it.
As I have this thing where I REALLY REALLY REALLY hate wasted progress, especially on that large a scale, I'm ending the series (unless Bubba's mysterious new account steps in to continue it).
Attack on Liberal: Ninjas vs Nudes is finished.

Moral of the story: Technology is unreliable. Thank you.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2014 6:53:55 PM
At 11/26/2014 6:38:19 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
I typed up episode 4 earlier today, and it literally took me several hours to write it. RIGHT when I finished writing it and was about to post it, my *expletives not appropriate for children* Kindle Fire deleted it.
As I have this thing where I REALLY REALLY REALLY hate wasted progress, especially on that large a scale, I'm ending the series (unless Bubba's mysterious new account steps in to continue it).

I see you're maturing at a decent pace. I think continuing that story hinders that progress. I know you can come up with a story that appeals to everybody and if you try to understand the various psychologies of liberals as well as conservatives, you can use that without explicitly calling them what they are to develop a better and more character driven story, that everyone can enjoy.

Once you start to understand why people think the way they do your characters will become less 2 dimensional. Once you spend some time working out a personal philosophy of how the world works, your stories will be more believable, the stories will have more depth and they will be way more enjoyable.

I see your potential to be a great story teller but you really should work on those things so your greatness can shine through. I'm glad to see your growing in maturity as well. I didn't even realize who you were until recently.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2014 6:59:59 PM
At 11/26/2014 6:53:55 PM, Wylted wrote:

I see you're maturing at a decent pace. I think continuing that story hinders that progress. I know you can come up with a story that appeals to everybody and if you try to understand the various psychologies of liberals as well as conservatives, you can use that without explicitly calling them what they are to develop a better and more character driven story, that everyone can enjoy.

Once you start to understand why people think the way they do your characters will become less 2 dimensional. Once you spend some time working out a personal philosophy of how the world works, your stories will be more believable, the stories will have more depth and they will be way more enjoyable.

I see your potential to be a great story teller but you really should work on those things so your greatness can shine through. I'm glad to see your growing in maturity as well. I didn't even realize who you were until recently.

I simply thought that replacing "Titans" with Liberals would be funny.

The DDO Blog:

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2014 7:02:35 PM
I was even going to make OberHerr a character...

The DDO Blog:

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2014 7:11:12 PM
At 11/26/2014 6:59:59 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Sometimes I demonize liberals in the heat of the moment but it's a sign of immaturity to do it and it alienates your audience. It's one thing if you were writing politically based fiction but you're not.

Just about every movie I see, half the movie takes stabs at conservatives but everybody is so used to it, you can get away with that type of thing as a liberal but even they do it discretely.

Not everybody will pick up on that sort of discrete thing while watching Elysium.

If you're not writing a politically based thing then try to appeal to who your reader is likely to be.

Instead of creating the enemy as a bunch of evil liberals why not a show being attacked by a country who has a society like the one in 1984?

You're a great writer, you just need to be aware of your own short comings and work on them. I'm not a writer so I can't give you advice as on but I can as a reader and I'm telling you, your audience wants 3 dimensional characters and a world with a coherent philosophy behind it as well as a great plot. You got the great plot part down now you just need a coherent world and 3 dimensional characters.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2014 7:13:12 PM
Also take a look at how YYW did his political fan fic. He did a good job at representing how politics works and creating 3 dimensional characters and he did it without p!ssing off his conservative readers. If that can be done with a political fiction it certainly can with your style as well.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2014 7:21:39 PM
At 11/26/2014 7:11:12 PM, Wylted wrote:

Sometimes I demonize liberals in the heat of the moment but it's a sign of immaturity to do it and it alienates your audience. It's one thing if you were writing politically based fiction but you're not.

Just about every movie I see, half the movie takes stabs at conservatives but everybody is so used to it, you can get away with that type of thing as a liberal but even they do it discretely.

Not everybody will pick up on that sort of discrete thing while watching Elysium.

If you're not writing a politically based thing then try to appeal to who your reader is likely to be.

Instead of creating the enemy as a bunch of evil liberals why not a show being attacked by a country who has a society like the one in 1984?

You're a great writer, you just need to be aware of your own short comings and work on them. I'm not a writer so I can't give you advice as on but I can as a reader and I'm telling you, your audience wants 3 dimensional characters and a world with a coherent philosophy behind it as well as a great plot. You got the great plot part down now you just need a coherent world and 3 dimensional characters.

Thank you for your advice. With only 10,000 characters and on a website I didn't really have room to develop my characters, but with the novels that I'm actually writing I try to be serious and do the best that I can do, or at least feel like doing (I'm a lazy writer). I have written three books in total, but I've scrapped each one (granted, the third one just might be salvageable) either because their basic premise was stupid or they were poorly written.

The DDO Blog:

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2014 7:26:17 PM
At 11/26/2014 7:21:39 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Thank you for your advice. With only 10,000 characters and on a website I didn't really have room to develop my characters, but with the novels that I'm actually writing I try to be serious and do the best that I can do, or at least feel like doing (I'm a lazy writer). I have written three books in total, but I've scrapped each one (granted, the third one just might be salvageable) either because their basic premise was stupid or they were poorly written.

Just keep writing. Keep plucking away at your craft. One day you'll wake up and be a master.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2014 7:26:45 PM
At 11/26/2014 7:26:17 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 11/26/2014 7:21:39 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Just keep writing. Keep plucking away at your craft. One day you'll wake up and be a master.

I hope so.

The DDO Blog: