kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2014 7:22:22 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I've been considering this for a long time. My alternative would be "Kay-bub."

Here's my thought process:

1. When I first began, I didn't take this website seriously. I did a lot of silly debates, such as story telling. Now I don't.
2. When I first began, I didn't understand much about the voting system. Now I do.
3. When I first began, I didn't think winning the debates were a big deal, so I procrastinated. They still aren't a big deal, but now I'm more invested than I was.
4. For most of my time here, you couldn't customize the voting requirements on your debates. We all suffered a lot of troll votes. Now you can.

I feel like now that I'm taking the debates a bit more seriously and know how to use it better, I maybe should make a new profile that doesn't come with 9 losses. I'm certain my ratio that I'd build on my new profile would be better.

At the same time, it feels kind of cowardly abandoning my profile. I feel no shame in my earlier losses. And I also think that maybe fleeing those losses would be deceptive and dishonest.

However, at the same time I think that it is not fair to my current level of investment to be burdened with the debates from a time when I was far less invested.

What are *your* thoughts? Are there good reasons to stay? Good reasons to change? Please let me know! Also, please keep in mind that of course the final decision is entirely my own, regardless of everyone's input. Thanks so much!
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2014 7:24:13 PM
At 11/30/2014 7:23:00 PM, kbub wrote:
Also, "Kay-bub" is easier to say aloud than kbub.

Or KayBub.
kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2014 7:24:58 PM
At 11/30/2014 7:24:13 PM, RevNge wrote:

Or KayBub.

Good point! The apostrophe is kind of useless, isn't it?
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2014 7:30:44 PM
At 11/30/2014 7:24:58 PM, kbub wrote:

Or KayBub.

Yeah. Kbub might confuse people into thinking it's "ck-bub" instead of "kay-bub", so if you want to do so, I don't see why you can't.

Still, are you comfortable with starting from scratch and everything with your new account? I was forced to make this new account after my parents (who hate DDO, by the way) discovered my old account, and I rather dislike this username, but I have to cope with it. What really nettled me was the period of time when I couldn't vote and all of my stats were gone. Kind of silly, I know, but it just felt weird.

So are you comfortable with starting again at 2,000 Elo, 0 debates, and 0 posts/opinions/polls?
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2014 7:35:15 PM

Or KayBub.

Firstly, I think it's a dash/hyphen.

Secondly, I think an important aspect of life, is looking at your past and moving on from it, whilst still having it around to check up on.

Your old debates are apart of you, who you were, and are. Do you really want to give up your memories?

Looking at it from a different account, it'll be like a different person. Do you wanna detach yourself from who you are and become someone new?

The thing about a new account is that you're still gonna have the label of being kbub... even when you're Kaybub... so...

It's your choice. Either way, you'll still be awesome. :-)
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2014 7:36:54 PM
At 11/30/2014 7:30:44 PM, RevNge wrote:

Or KayBub.

Yeah. Kbub might confuse people into thinking it's "ck-bub" instead of "kay-bub", so if you want to do so, I don't see why you can't.

Still, are you comfortable with starting from scratch and everything with your new account? I was forced to make this new account after my parents (who hate DDO, by the way) discovered my old account, and I rather dislike this username, but I have to cope with it. What really nettled me was the period of time when I couldn't vote and all of my stats were gone. Kind of silly, I know, but it just felt weird.

So are you comfortable with starting again at 2,000 Elo, 0 debates, and 0 posts/opinions/polls?

Not really! That's the scary part! At the same time, all things must end... The longer I wait the worse it gets...

Do you think it's possible to change my mind later? (reopen a closed account?)
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2014 7:38:21 PM
At 11/30/2014 7:30:44 PM, RevNge wrote:

Or KayBub.

I've never said "ck-bub"...

Meh. Your new username is fine.

"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2014 7:41:53 PM
No. I have pondered over my own profile the way you have done over yours, and, to my benefit, I found that coming to terms with past opinions, habits, and records is not very hard once you explain to yourself that you have gone past the times in which you characterized yourself in a certain pattern. Put it behind you, and move on. If you are worried about others' opinions about you, note that the community has changed, and will always change, and you can change with it, and do what you think is more reasonable.
kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2014 7:44:00 PM
At 11/30/2014 7:35:15 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

Or KayBub.

Firstly, I think it's a dash/hyphen.

Secondly, I think an important aspect of life, is looking at your past and moving on from it, whilst still having it around to check up on.

Your old debates are apart of you, who you were, and are. Do you really want to give up your memories?

Well, my debates *are* a part of me, so I can't really remove the experiences, impact, and memories of those debates. Also, I don't think the debates are removed--I think I can always see them, even if I make a new account.

Still, I know what you mean. It'll be hard to do. That's a big part of my indecision!

Looking at it from a different account, it'll be like a different person. Do you wanna detach yourself from who you are and become someone new?

I don't think I'll be a new person exactly, but my appearance certainly may seem like that. My plan was to send a mass message to all my friends explaining the change, and asking them to friend me again. I'll also explain the difference on my profile page, and also a link to my old debates.

The thing about a new account is that you're still gonna have the label of being kbub... even when you're Kaybub... so...

Exactly! I want people to know I'm the same person, and that I'm not turning my back on the past. But I now that I know how to work DDO, I think it's maybe time a had a profile that reflected my current investment.

Thanks so much Esocial! That means a lot to me!
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2014 7:45:22 PM
At 11/30/2014 7:44:00 PM, kbub wrote:

Not a problem. BTW, I think kbub is much more awesome than Kaybub or Kay-bub. ;-)
Solonkr~

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2014 7:48:53 PM
At 11/30/2014 7:45:22 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

Not a problem. BTW, I think kbub is much more awesome than Kaybub or Kay-bub. ;-)

Sigh. You're right. And I'd really miss it.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2014 7:52:16 PM
At 11/30/2014 7:48:53 PM, kbub wrote:
At 11/30/2014 7:45:22 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

Sigh. You're right. And I'd really miss it.

Annie is (almost) always (yeah right) right. :-) ;-)
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY