Total Posts:30|Showing Posts:1-30
Jump to topic:

Why does this site attract so much filth?

YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2014 8:43:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
All the religious fanatics, racists, and Nazis? A second question is why these people so full of hate are allowed to remain here. I won't deny that I'm biased, due to one of my family's goals being seeing to all Nazis punished for their crimes and seeing their worshipers equally if not more intensely punished.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2014 8:50:36 PM
At 11/30/2014 8:43:11 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
All the religious fanatics, racists, and Nazis? A second question is why these people so full of hate are allowed to remain here. I won't deny that I'm biased, due to one of my family's goals being seeing to all Nazis punished for their crimes and seeing their worshipers equally if not more intensely punished.

I think most people want all Nazis dead.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2014 8:57:06 PM
At 11/30/2014 8:50:36 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Rightly so.
TUF, and YYW
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2014 8:58:21 PM
At 11/30/2014 8:57:06 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:

Rightly so.

Indeed.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2014 9:00:40 PM

Because its a debating site.

Whether you like it or not, they have the right to stay here like everyone else.
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2014 9:04:40 PM
At 11/30/2014 9:00:40 PM, XLAV wrote:

Whether you like it or not, they have the right to stay here like everyone else.
Yes. One of the many follies of Free Speech.
TUF, and YYW
Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2014 9:28:17 PM

RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2014 9:30:57 PM

Except for some people like Izbo and Stalin.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2014 9:48:52 PM

The filth come from a lack of intellect and the ability to remain anonymous. If you had to show your true identity people would not say 1/100th of the things they do. Accountability is a powerful tool in weeding out the cowardly,vulgar, internet coward. So just get used to it and don't respond or troll them.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2014 10:26:08 PM

Because their views are taken seriously on here, instead of ignored. If people refused to engage with them, they'd leave (for the most part). The religious nutjobs who think they are prophets are another story; I don't think they'd leave even if they had zero followers, but the religious forum is also a circlejerk of ultra-religious people who welcome their presence.

The main problem is that they don't debate. When they do issue an open challenge, they get crushed. But they often hide in the forums. It's one of the reasons Roy is so annoyed with the site: there once were no forums, so if you wanted to use the site, you had to debate. Now the idiots and trolls have a platform where they feel validated without ever having to put their views to the test in an adversarial setting, where people can express disapproval for their extreme beliefs by voting against them. It's one reason why I'd advocated incorporating some elements of Reddit into the DDO forums. Reddit gets rid of idiots in each thread by downvoting them to he11, so they can't feel like their opinion has been validated. They see that little negative 22 karma on their comment and realize that what they said was not accepted by the community at large, so they leave.

People here feel validated and accepted, even if you argue vociferously against them.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2014 10:39:14 PM

I'll put this in perspective:
Nazi Germany officially ended on May 8, 1945. Assuming that today was May 8, it would've been 69 years ago.
Assuming that the youngest Nazi soldiers responsible for war crimes were 18 on May 8, 1945, the youngest Nazi war criminals today would be 87 years old. And those were the youngsters.
All of the major Nazi war criminals are dead now; only people like former Concentration Camp guards are still alive for us to prosecute.
I can guarantee you that whenever 15 years pass virtually all of the Nazi War Criminals will be dead, and in the meantime it'd be pretty much impossible to locate even one of the few surviving Nazi War Criminals, so devoting your life to bringing them to justice is absolutely futile. I mean no disrespect, but it's true.

As for "worshippers" (I assume you mean Neo-Nazis), they have a right to their free speech. For that reason I have to tolerate people like Beastt, Bulproof, and Thinkfirst.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2014 11:59:35 PM
At 11/30/2014 9:04:40 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:

Yes. One of the many follies of Free Speech.

In your desire to eradicate fascism you become a fascist. It's not even ironic.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2014 12:04:08 AM
At 11/30/2014 10:26:08 PM, bluesteel wrote:

Because their views are taken seriously on here, instead of ignored. If people refused to engage with them, they'd leave (for the most part). The religious nutjobs who think they are prophets are another story; I don't think they'd leave even if they had zero followers, but the religious forum is also a circlejerk of ultra-religious people who welcome their presence.

The main problem is that they don't debate. When they do issue an open challenge, they get crushed. But they often hide in the forums. It's one of the reasons Roy is so annoyed with the site: there once were no forums, so if you wanted to use the site, you had to debate. Now the idiots and trolls have a platform where they feel validated without ever having to put their views to the test in an adversarial setting, where people can express disapproval for their extreme beliefs by voting against them. It's one reason why I'd advocated incorporating some elements of Reddit into the DDO forums. Reddit gets rid of idiots in each thread by downvoting them to he11, so they can't feel like their opinion has been validated. They see that little negative 22 karma on their comment and realize that what they said was not accepted by the community at large, so they leave.

People here feel validated and accepted, even if you argue vociferously against them.

That leads to an interesting consequence. That creates a populist mentality where ideas are no longer debated and defeated based on logic, but rather on popularity of the opinion. Given that you yourself have argued for unpopular ideas simply because they did not violate the principles of the NAP (I can't remember if it was incest, bestiality or both), I wouldn't think that you would support anything that would devolve into appeals to popularity.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2014 12:25:39 AM

I don't. I think it's important to keep them around, so that they remind people of exactly how fvcked up people can be. When you have fringe crazies, like Nazis or the Tea Party, while they may be popular for a certain period of time, their popularity eventually fades, and their story is recorded into the annals of history as the disgrace that they were.
Tsar of DDO
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2014 12:27:46 AM
At 12/1/2014 12:25:39 AM, YYW wrote:

I don't. I think it's important to keep them around, so that they remind people of exactly how fvcked up people can be. When you have fringe crazies, like Nazis or the Tea Party, while they may be popular for a certain period of time, their popularity eventually fades, and their story is recorded into the annals of history as the disgrace that they were.

I am however, more afraid the Ku Klux Klan and Neo-Nazis will destroy a town fighting over who's more racist than the Tea Party actually rebelling against Obama's communistic government. Thus why I want them gone.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2014 12:31:27 AM
At 12/1/2014 12:27:46 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

I am however, more afraid the Ku Klux Klan and Neo-Nazis will destroy a town fighting over who's more racist than the Tea Party actually rebelling against Obama's communistic government. Thus why I want them gone.

I'm not. If they were a majority... then certain measures would have to be taken... but eradicating a people because of their belief tends to make them martyrs... and that's a very bad situation to be in, because people tend to sympathize with those who they perceive to be martyrs.
Tsar of DDO
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2014 12:33:39 AM
At 12/1/2014 12:31:27 AM, YYW wrote:

I'm not. If they were a majority... then certain measures would have to be taken... but eradicating a people because of their belief tends to make them martyrs... and that's a very bad situation to be in, because people tend to sympathize with those who they perceive to be martyrs.

Meh. I think most people know better than to sympathize with Nazis. This isn't a persecuted religious group: it's a violent group of nutters that was responsible for the death of millions.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2014 12:42:29 AM
At 12/1/2014 12:33:39 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Meh. I think most people know better than to sympathize with Nazis. This isn't a persecuted religious group: it's a violent group of nutters that was responsible for the death of millions.

I would like to think not... but making martyrs out of murderers is still a dangerous enterprise.
Tsar of DDO
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2014 12:44:40 AM
At 12/1/2014 12:42:29 AM, YYW wrote:

I would like to think not... but making martyrs out of murderers is still a dangerous enterprise.

Maybe, but they're a dangerous group, no matter how large their following is: and if given even the slightest justification to destroy them, I would do so.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2014 12:46:18 AM
At 12/1/2014 12:44:40 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Maybe, but they're a dangerous group, no matter how large their following is: and if given even the slightest justification to destroy them, I would do so.

I think that it would be very tempting to do so, if given the opportunity; but I would never support taking life because of political beliefs.
Tsar of DDO
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2014 12:47:55 AM
At 12/1/2014 12:46:18 AM, YYW wrote:
At 12/1/2014 12:44:40 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

I think that it would be very tempting to do so, if given the opportunity; but I would never support taking life because of political beliefs.

A slight justification would be going through with fighting to the death with a group of KKK members (I'd kill them too)...apparently almost happened in Texas last month...

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2014 12:49:15 AM
At 12/1/2014 12:04:08 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

That leads to an interesting consequence. That creates a populist mentality where ideas are no longer debated and defeated based on logic, but rather on popularity of the opinion. Given that you yourself have argued for unpopular ideas simply because they did not violate the principles of the NAP (I can't remember if it was incest, bestiality or both), I wouldn't think that you would support anything that would devolve into appeals to popularity.

I just worded it poorly for the sake of simplicity. What I meant was more that their positions are so extreme as to be indefensible against most competent debaters (e.g. Naziism good, Holocaust did not happen, I am a prophet sent from God, the Bible is inerrant, etc.). I didn't mean people should vote against them merely for their position, but that's the consequence I would foresee of *anyone* trying to defend some of the things that are said by those extreme users. Charles' debate with J.Kenyon comes to mind when I think of a forum-exclusive user who finally capitulated to a debate.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2014 1:03:45 AM
If one is allowed to utter whatever one wishes, and without consequences, then one will continue to do so unless personal reasons stand in the way. There is nothing on our site that shows direct disapproval of individuals' activities that violate rules, or standard conduct. Other forum sites have stricter moderation, but it would be a risk to increase it here; it was, until not long ago, hard to gain newer members, and attracting active, contributing ones is still difficult. As a community here, we have long understood that tolerating the intolerant and hoping for change is better than actively enforcing all rules. But - the consequences of that are behaviors in forums like Religion, where spewing nonsense is the norm, and debating in defense of your claims is the exception, not the rule.
9spaceking
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2014 5:21:34 AM

yeah, imo the comment-voting system should be adopted. Larz adopted it on his website,
Equestrian election
http://www.debate.org...

This House would impose democracy

Reign of Terror is unjustified

Raise min. wage to $10.10
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2014 6:24:17 AM
At 12/1/2014 5:21:34 AM, 9spaceking wrote:

yeah, imo the comment-voting system should be adopted. Larz adopted it on his website,

The forums on here are a bit of a mess. Replies should appear below and to the right of the parent comments, not at the end of the thread. It's easier to follow that way. And yeah, voting on comments would be good.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2014 3:58:20 PM

So you're pro thought police?
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2014 4:03:16 PM
At 11/30/2014 9:48:52 PM, sadolite wrote:

The filth come from a lack of intellect and the ability to remain anonymous. If you had to show your true identity people would not say 1/100th of the things they do. Accountability is a powerful tool in weeding out the cowardly,vulgar, internet coward. So just get used to it and don't respond or troll them.

This isn't neccesarily a result of cowardice. Often times society heavily persecute people because of their beliefs. If one of your beliefs are heavily persecuted, that is a seperate issue than whether you're correct or not. It's also a seperate issue than cowardice.

If a celebrity says the general public is stupid, he is being honest but on the other hand it could ruin his career and put him in the poor house. It's not an act of cowardice for that celebrity to keep his mouth shut in public while debating his beliefs in an anonymous way.
DarthVitiosus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2014 6:10:21 PM

Suffering from a Pauline Kael view? Pauline Kael: "I only know one person who voted for Nixon. Where they are I don't know. "

Welcome to the real world. It is diverse, strange, and different from what you were raised to believe. I wouldn't be surprised if there was an advocate of cannibalism or infanticide on this site. After all, there was someone who argued for bestiality on this site previously. Admire the diversity, admire all of the intellect and madness that is espoused on the Internet without shame.
WILL NOT BE REMOVED UNTIL:
#1. I have met 10 people worth discussing with on DDO who are not interested in ideological or romantic visions of the world we all live in.
#2. 10 people admit they have no interest in any one else's opinion other than their own.
#3. 10 people admit they are products of their environment and their ideas derive from said environment rather than doing any serious critical thinking and search for answers themselves.
DarthVitiosus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2014 6:19:48 PM
At 11/30/2014 9:48:52 PM, sadolite wrote:

HEAR, HEAR!

Sadolite's Wisdom:

#1 "Accountability is a powerful tool in weeding out the cowardly,vulgar, internet coward. "
It is always easy to heckle when in a crowd. It is always easy is to write when anonymous.

#2 "So just get used to it and don't respond or troll them."
Maturity on the Internet, a rare feature. Must be some old timer, I would assume.
WILL NOT BE REMOVED UNTIL:
#1. I have met 10 people worth discussing with on DDO who are not interested in ideological or romantic visions of the world we all live in.
#2. 10 people admit they have no interest in any one else's opinion other than their own.
#3. 10 people admit they are products of their environment and their ideas derive from said environment rather than doing any serious critical thinking and search for answers themselves.