Jump to topic:

Ideas for preventing multiple accounts?

YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 2:56:04 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Having a phone number be required is something I feel we'd benefit from. Any other ideas we could propose to Ore Else and Airmax?
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 3:02:22 PM
At 12/3/2014 2:56:04 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
Having a phone number be required is something I feel we'd benefit from. Any other ideas we could propose to Ore Else and Airmax?

Not all people have cell phones.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 3:06:16 PM
I don't have many ideas here- we have to find the fine balance between letting multiple accounts happen and not even letting normal accounts happen. I propose only one per IP address, though that could be problematic. Regular IP checks could work, though that's too much work for Ore_ele and airmax.

So, really, what can we do?
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 3:33:18 PM
At 12/3/2014 2:56:04 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:

Depends; why do they have multiple accounts?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 3:34:48 PM
I don't think this is fair because not everyone has a cell phone. We could do an IP check, but if anyone uses some kind of proxy server, this wouldn't work.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 4:16:49 PM
Okay. heres how it works.

When someone first creates an account, a message pops up, it says "Do you accept the terms and conditions" or something else that everyone else automatically says yes to even though they dont read.

However, in the actual terms and conditions, we post the entire text of Hitler's "Mein Kampf", meaning that by accepting the terms and conditions, you also would be agreeing with Hitler's autobiography.

After they click yes, a warning pops up, which informs them that they actually just agreed with Hitler's Mein Kampf because they didnt actually read the terms and conditions, and they will not be allowed on the site since they dont read.

However, we add in an option on the pop up that says "Alter user agreement", which all new people would naturally click since they would assume it means goign back and undoing accepting Hitler's Mein Kampf in the Terms and Conditions.

However, the button only leads to edeb8, and a new pop up appears saying. "Attention new user, you dont know who I am, but I know who you are. You have been selected for a very important mission that only a new person could complete. Listen very carefully, as aborting the mission now could reveal personal information to the enemy".... This would naturally scare the sh** out of the new user, so they would pay attention.

A new pop up then appears and continues, saying "On this website of edeb8 is someone known as 'cumdumpster44' but is operating under a different alias that no one knows about. You must find him so that we can end his tyranny once and for all, but it has to be a new person because he would know if it was an older member."

Then a third pop-up "His weakness is that he cannot stand the phrases 'lol u wot m8' and 'Therefore, your entire argument is irrelevant' you must use one of these two phrases against the dark one in order to defeat him, we have reason to believe that cumdumpster 44 is actually 'Larztheloser', so start with him first"

Then, the new user would go enter a conversation with Larz and either use the legit argument phrase, or the troll phrase. The trick is though that if he uses the troll option, then he is clearly a troll, and shouldnt be allowed on DDO. Therefore using the troll response is an automatic disqualification, and a pop-up comes up after the phrase saying "The code didnt work. The dark one has found out our ruse and has terminated the entire website. We have fallen". It is at that point that the new users computer shuts down thanks to the computer virus that Airmax inserted into the last pop-up, which causes the computer to shut down only a single time and ip-bans the new potential user from logging onto DDO.

If they use the first option though, then the adventure only continues, as there are more tests they will have to pass in order for them to be accepted into DDO. Upon using the first phrase, a new pop-up appears saying "You are victorious! However, the war is not over, resign into DDO so that you can lead us to the promised-land as our new king!". This will tempt them into continuing the quest by allegedly promising them to rule over DDO if they succeed.

They re-sign into DDO, and a pop-up appears saying, 'cumdumpster 44's henchmen have launched an attack on DDO, you must quickly defeat them! Use whatever means you can to win the argument, here, we will bring you to the thread where the attack is happening."

The pop-up will then lead the new user to whichever new thread is made in the religious section where some crazy sh*t is going down. The new user will literally be thrown into battle in the most wretched part of the site, where he must prove himself in order to pass the second test. After getting into an argument and keeping his cool for 10 posts, a new pop-up will appear and say. "Excellent, you are winning! Now finish him off with whichever phrase you used the first time!"

They will do so, and thus pass the second test, where they have survived a very hostile thread surrounded with stupidity, and still remained civil.

The final test will launch the new user into a debate of their choosing where they are the instigator. A pop-up will say "Oh no, we have been betrayed! Despite vanquishing the dark side, a traitor from DDO has revealed himself and intends to bring him back! He has challenged you to combat in the royal arena. Here you will have to debate against the traitor to the site and you must win! We know you can do it!"

Now, the traitor in this scenario will be whichever one of the top 20 debaters on this site (according to Elo) that the new user will debate with. Naturally, the new user will receive a significant a** whipping. When the debate heads into the final round for the new user, a final pop-up will appear, saying "Alas, you have fought valiently, but it is apparent that you will not win this debate, and that [insert name of other debater here] will be our new King. There is still hope for you though, if you honorably concede the debate in the final round, he will show mercy towards you, and allow you to remain on the site despite slaying the dark side. If you do not, you will be banned from the site"

This is another ruse though, where people who agree to roll-over are instead plunged into a second debate with another top debater under the assumption that this debate will also determine their fate to stay on DDO. However, at the end of the round, the pop-up will again appear saying that they should honorable forfeit in the final round if they wish to stay on DDO. This process will repeat until the user finally grows the balls to NOT honorably concede and stick it out in the final round.

If they do this, then a final pop-up appears after the debate enters the voting period that says "Rejoice! You have defeated the traitor and all of his henchmen and have liberated DDO from 10 years of tyrannical rule! DDOians have all unanimously opted to make you the new lifetime king of DDO! Do you wish to be King, or would you rather allow for DDO to field free elections and allow other more experience members to be elected to office?"

Anybody who chooses to be king is a self-centered a**hat who shouldnt be on DDO, so if they choose that option, they will lose the game immediately, and be banned from DDO. If they are sensible and humble enough to pick the second option, then a final pop-up will appear and explain to the user that everything they went through was just a series of tests to allow new users to join the site, and that they have passed the test with flying colors.... This will then allow the new users to join the site as regular members who have met all of the requirements needed to be a positive member for the site.....

So what do you think?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 4:40:28 PM
At 12/3/2014 4:16:49 PM, imabench wrote:

When someone first creates an account, a message pops up, it says "Do you accept the terms and conditions" or something else that everyone else automatically says yes to even though they dont read.

However, in the actual terms and conditions, we post the entire text of Hitler's "Mein Kampf", meaning that by accepting the terms and conditions, you also would be agreeing with Hitler's autobiography.

After they click yes, a warning pops up, which informs them that they actually just agreed with Hitler's Mein Kampf because they didnt actually read the terms and conditions, and they will not be allowed on the site since they dont read.

However, we add in an option on the pop up that says "Alter user agreement", which all new people would naturally click since they would assume it means goign back and undoing accepting Hitler's Mein Kampf in the Terms and Conditions.

However, the button only leads to edeb8, and a new pop up appears saying. "Attention new user, you dont know who I am, but I know who you are. You have been selected for a very important mission that only a new person could complete. Listen very carefully, as aborting the mission now could reveal personal information to the enemy".... This would naturally scare the sh** out of the new user, so they would pay attention.

A new pop up then appears and continues, saying "On this website of edeb8 is someone known as 'cumdumpster44' but is operating under a different alias that no one knows about. You must find him so that we can end his tyranny once and for all, but it has to be a new person because he would know if it was an older member."

Then a third pop-up "His weakness is that he cannot stand the phrases 'lol u wot m8' and 'Therefore, your entire argument is irrelevant' you must use one of these two phrases against the dark one in order to defeat him, we have reason to believe that cumdumpster 44 is actually 'Larztheloser', so start with him first"

Then, the new user would go enter a conversation with Larz and either use the legit argument phrase, or the troll phrase. The trick is though that if he uses the troll option, then he is clearly a troll, and shouldnt be allowed on DDO. Therefore using the troll response is an automatic disqualification, and a pop-up comes up after the phrase saying "The code didnt work. The dark one has found out our ruse and has terminated the entire website. We have fallen". It is at that point that the new users computer shuts down thanks to the computer virus that Airmax inserted into the last pop-up, which causes the computer to shut down only a single time and ip-bans the new potential user from logging onto DDO.

If they use the first option though, then the adventure only continues, as there are more tests they will have to pass in order for them to be accepted into DDO. Upon using the first phrase, a new pop-up appears saying "You are victorious! However, the war is not over, resign into DDO so that you can lead us to the promised-land as our new king!". This will tempt them into continuing the quest by allegedly promising them to rule over DDO if they succeed.

They re-sign into DDO, and a pop-up appears saying, 'cumdumpster 44's henchmen have launched an attack on DDO, you must quickly defeat them! Use whatever means you can to win the argument, here, we will bring you to the thread where the attack is happening."

The pop-up will then lead the new user to whichever new thread is made in the religious section where some crazy sh*t is going down. The new user will literally be thrown into battle in the most wretched part of the site, where he must prove himself in order to pass the second test. After getting into an argument and keeping his cool for 10 posts, a new pop-up will appear and say. "Excellent, you are winning! Now finish him off with whichever phrase you used the first time!"

They will do so, and thus pass the second test, where they have survived a very hostile thread surrounded with stupidity, and still remained civil.

The final test will launch the new user into a debate of their choosing where they are the instigator. A pop-up will say "Oh no, we have been betrayed! Despite vanquishing the dark side, a traitor from DDO has revealed himself and intends to bring him back! He has challenged you to combat in the royal arena. Here you will have to debate against the traitor to the site and you must win! We know you can do it!"

Now, the traitor in this scenario will be whichever one of the top 20 debaters on this site (according to Elo) that the new user will debate with. Naturally, the new user will receive a significant a** whipping. When the debate heads into the final round for the new user, a final pop-up will appear, saying "Alas, you have fought valiently, but it is apparent that you will not win this debate, and that [insert name of other debater here] will be our new King. There is still hope for you though, if you honorably concede the debate in the final round, he will show mercy towards you, and allow you to remain on the site despite slaying the dark side. If you do not, you will be banned from the site"

This is another ruse though, where people who agree to roll-over are instead plunged into a second debate with another top debater under the assumption that this debate will also determine their fate to stay on DDO. However, at the end of the round, the pop-up will again appear saying that they should honorable forfeit in the final round if they wish to stay on DDO. This process will repeat until the user finally grows the balls to NOT honorably concede and stick it out in the final round.

If they do this, then a final pop-up appears after the debate enters the voting period that says "Rejoice! You have defeated the traitor and all of his henchmen and have liberated DDO from 10 years of tyrannical rule! DDOians have all unanimously opted to make you the new lifetime king of DDO! Do you wish to be King, or would you rather allow for DDO to field free elections and allow other more experience members to be elected to office?"

Anybody who chooses to be king is a self-centered a**hat who shouldnt be on DDO, so if they choose that option, they will lose the game immediately, and be banned from DDO. If they are sensible and humble enough to pick the second option, then a final pop-up will appear and explain to the user that everything they went through was just a series of tests to allow new users to join the site, and that they have passed the test with flying colors.... This will then allow the new users to join the site as regular members who have met all of the requirements needed to be a positive member for the site.....

So what do you think?

...Are you sure you're running for Vice President?
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 5:06:48 PM

So what do you think?

Well, it would make it much harder to make alternate accounts. It would also make it difficult to make an account at all, and would probably discourage the majority of new members from trying to sign up on DDO.
I do like that membership would be exclusive (I get to feel special about being a member!!).
But you fail to account for several problems.
First, what if the member going through the trial actually wins when pitted against one of the top 20? You completely do not account for that scenario.
Second, what if the person trying to make the multi is one of the top debaters? The debating elite are given an edge in making multis since they are much more likely to win in the latter set of scenarios. That's class discrimination.
Third, the trial would be incredibly tedious to program, and Juggle has shown that it is really quite lazy when it comes to implementing newer features (i.e. team debates).
Fourth, the trial requires coordination with edb8. That doesn't seem very likely.

Finally, there's nothing wrong with multi-accounting anyway. We should allow multis, but put up some suggested restrictions. For example, if a user is caught voting for itself with a multi, then, by all means, ban it. If the user gets caught doing it too often, ban the user. Simple! Not all multis, however, are abusive or even harmful (philocristos ~= ajab; Newb ~= Beginner). People who seriously want to multi (RationalMadman) will be able to multi anyway. So why place the restriction in the first place?
Just give us multi-accounting privileges, and you will have solved the problem (and gained my political support in the process ;))
Senpai has noticed you.
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 5:29:20 PM
At 12/3/2014 5:21:34 PM, PapaNolan wrote:
Report and block them

Except multis are incredibly difficult to identify unless they give themselves away. How do you report and block someone if you don't even know who they are?
Senpai has noticed you.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 5:31:37 PM
At 12/3/2014 4:40:28 PM, kbub wrote:

So what do you think?

...Are you sure you're running for Vice President?

Yes.

Do YOU know that though? Because you've been so unnecessarily critical of me that im thinking you don't know that I'm only running for VICE president
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
UchihaMadara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 5:43:26 PM

So what do you think?

I feel like it might cause some people to commit suicide in the process of trying to create their accounts...
carriead20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 5:53:27 PM

So what do you think?

Genius.
To all the people fighting a hard battle out there - life's giving you a pretty hard beating. There's no sugarcoating that, but there's no shadow that's free of light. When life sneers at you and asks, "Ready to go again?" - Raise your hand. Reach out to victory. Don't give in.

---Help Bsh and YYW see each other---
http://www.gofundme.com...
VelCrow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 7:21:32 PM

So what do you think?

its... beautiful... *wipes tears*
"Ah....So when god "Taught you" online, did he have a user name like "Darthmaulrules1337", and did he talk in all caps?" ~ Axonly

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 7:32:48 PM
Maybe you could somehow make it so that you could only set up one account per IP address unless you had mod clearance.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 8:20:52 PM
I think that we can all agree that Bench has by far the best plan.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 8:34:22 PM

So what do you think?

I think my parents have been putting my meds in my cake again.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
Fanny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 8:51:00 PM
A user wanting to set up multiple accounts can just borrow someone else's cell phone or change their number. Just so many ways to get around.