Jump to topic:

On the topic of Banning

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 8:37:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
It seems that bannings have become a hot topic all of a sudden. So let's drop this bomb. I am no longer a moderator. I actually have not been for awhile. About four months ago, I requested to Juggle to step down because I could not be as active as I believe a moderator should. I would like to say that this was a push by me to try to force Juggle's hand to bring on more moderators, but it isn't that noble. It is just a moderator needs to be able to dedicate more time than I can currently give. Maybe some time in the future my free time will change, maybe not.

I originally didn't believe an announcement was necessary, since Airmax has always been the primary moderator, and doing a damn good job at it, but he expressed concern that he didn't like lying through omission when asked about and believed it was my place to make an announcement. So he it is.

You are now free to call me what you really think of me, lol.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 8:41:23 PM
Shocking... but what does "he it is" mean??
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 8:47:57 PM
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
9spaceking
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 8:49:37 PM
okay lets get larz to be a moderator
hes amazing at modding edeb8
Equestrian election
http://www.debate.org...

This House would impose democracy

Reign of Terror is unjustified

Raise min. wage to $10.10
UchihaMadara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 8:51:35 PM
At 12/3/2014 8:49:37 PM, 9spaceking wrote:

I would personally be in support of that, but I can immediately think of a few prominent members who would be staunchly opposed.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 8:52:09 PM
At 12/3/2014 8:37:45 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
It seems that bannings have become a hot topic all of a sudden. So let's drop this bomb. I am no longer a moderator. I actually have not been for awhile. About four months ago, I requested to Juggle to step down because I could not be as active as I believe a moderator should. I would like to say that this was a push by me to try to force Juggle's hand to bring on more moderators, but it isn't that noble. It is just a moderator needs to be able to dedicate more time than I can currently give. Maybe some time in the future my free time will change, maybe not.

I originally didn't believe an announcement was necessary, since Airmax has always been the primary moderator, and doing a damn good job at it, but he expressed concern that he didn't like lying through omission when asked about and believed it was my place to make an announcement. So he it is.

Somebody should be appointed to replace you.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 8:52:31 PM
At 12/3/2014 8:51:35 PM, UchihaMadara wrote:
At 12/3/2014 8:49:37 PM, 9spaceking wrote:

I would personally be in support of that, but I can immediately think of a few prominent members who would be staunchly opposed.

Wait. Is 9space not joking?
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 11:01:49 PM

Can I be a poll moderator? I'll clean it up real nice.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 11:07:21 PM
At 12/3/2014 11:01:49 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

There were previously only two mods- Airmax and Ore_Ele. There isn't any poll moderator, but if there was, you would be my first choice. We'll see what happens after the DDO elections.
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 11:08:31 PM
At 12/3/2014 11:07:21 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:

There were previously only two mods- Airmax and Ore_Ele. There isn't any poll moderator, but if there was, you would be my first choice. We'll see what happens after the DDO elections.

They should have more than two moderators, this is a big site.

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 11:10:42 PM

but your still my drunken teddy bear
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 11:12:37 PM

*thinks about it*

*remembers that you can breathe fire*
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 11:14:09 PM

I appreciate that you made this announcement.

It's been a great couple years working with you, and you've always been a huge help with moderation.

I wish you good luck as always, and I imagine I will still keep contacting you to offer me advice when I need it.
Debate.org Moderator
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 11:15:46 PM

Thanks for your service to the site, Ore. Hopefully not being a mod will give you more time to enjoy the other aspects of the site.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 11:18:33 PM

I moderate the polls section, as well as a Juggle staff member and some other elements of built-in moderation. I understand the polls section is getting spammed with some nonsense lately and other fixes need to be made, but I do remove the spam almost always within a reasonable amount of time and a long term fix is bring worked on.

As for a new moderator being appointed, I've been working on this since Ore_ele expressed his desire to step down to me, and the election has zero influence on that process.
Debate.org Moderator
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 11:33:20 PM
At 12/3/2014 11:18:33 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

I moderate the polls section, as well as a Juggle staff member and some other elements of built-in moderation. I understand the polls section is getting spammed with some nonsense lately and other fixes need to be made, but I do remove the spam almost always within a reasonable amount of time and a long term fix is bring worked on.

As for a new moderator being appointed, I've been working on this since Ore_ele expressed his desire to step down to me, and the election has zero influence on that process.

What do the said elected officials do exactly?

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 11:39:11 PM

Who did you choose as an heir?

*updates resume*
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 11:47:19 PM
At 12/3/2014 11:33:20 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

The idea of the elections being for the selection of moderators is an extremely pervasive misunderstanding that doesn't seem to subside. it can be understandably confusing, so I'll do my best to explain what the president is elected to do.

The President acts as a liaison between the members and Juggle (the company that owns the site) and the moderator (me). They advocate for the membership and express to Juggle or the moderator how they perceive the interests of the members. In other words, it's easier for Juggle to go to the president to understand what updates should be the highest priority, and it's easier for me to seek out the president to understand the communities feelings on various issues and approaches. It's a bit more complex in some areas, but that's the gist. Ultimately, the presidents job is to influence Juggle/moderation to do what they think the members want.
Debate.org Moderator
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 11:48:24 PM

I've actually got a few questions...

How does it feel being a common man once more?

Do you see yourself becoming more active in other site activities like debating again?

Is power really as addicting as they say it is?

What aspect of being a Moderator will you miss the most?

What aspect of being a Moderator are you most grateful to be rid of?

How much time would you say one needs to dedicate to DDO, daily, as a Moderator?

Any advice for those who seek to become Moderator someday?

Any advice for the presidential hopefuls in the upcoming election?

That's all, thanks in advance for answering these questions.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 11:48:36 PM
At 12/3/2014 11:47:19 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 12/3/2014 11:33:20 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

The idea of the elections being for the selection of moderators is an extremely pervasive misunderstanding that doesn't seem to subside. it can be understandably confusing, so I'll do my best to explain what the president is elected to do.

The President acts as a liaison between the members and Juggle (the company that owns the site) and the moderator (me). They advocate for the membership and express to Juggle or the moderator how they perceive the interests of the members. In other words, it's easier for Juggle to go to the president to understand what updates should be the highest priority, and it's easier for me to seek out the president to understand the communities feelings on various issues and approaches. It's a bit more complex in some areas, but that's the gist. Ultimately, the presidents job is to influence Juggle/moderation to do what they think the members want.

Oh, okay, thank you for explaining.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2014 12:47:59 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Thank you for all the hard work you put into this site as a moderator, and the continued work you put in as a member of the community.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2014 7:25:46 AM
I feel bad for the relative lack of recognition you got. You were a good mod :)
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2014 1:24:01 PM
At 12/3/2014 11:48:24 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

I've actually got a few questions...

How does it feel being a common man once more?

No difference really.

Do you see yourself becoming more active in other site activities like debating again?

No, moderating was not what kept me from doing that.

Is power really as addicting as they say it is?

It depends on the personality type. It isn't for me, because I am a firm supporter of servant leadership.

What aspect of being a Moderator will you miss the most?

April Fools day

What aspect of being a Moderator are you most grateful to be rid of?

Every other day, just kidding. Really, when you have two people that are both in the wrong and, in my opinion, should both be temp banned, each saying how they only reacted to the other and they are just the victim.

How much time would you say one needs to dedicate to DDO, daily, as a Moderator?

It doesn't take a while lot of time. What it takes is always being available. It's like being on call. You never know when an issue is going to pop up, so you always need to be able to check in and address an issue whenever it occurs.

Any advice for those who seek to become Moderator someday?

You better love customer service and people complianing needs to be your fetish.

Any advice for the presidential hopefuls in the upcoming election?

Don't try running on a platform that suggests you can control the mod policy.

That's all, thanks in advance for answering these questions.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"