Send a Message
5/15/2010 8:46:44 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/15/2010 8:45:59 PM, PalinFan wrote:
Pro or con?

yes
Cody_Franklin- "You aren't the sharpest bulb in the box, are you?"

Strikeeagle84015- "Why would you want a sharp bulb?"

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people" --Eleanor Roosevelt
PalinFan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2010 8:48:34 PM
At 5/15/2010 8:46:31 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Con. All they do is hate on people.

Do you believe they have a right to say what they do, or should it be considered hate speech?
Super Man does not come close to the power of Jesus Christ - GodSands
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2010 8:49:36 PM
At 5/15/2010 8:48:34 PM, PalinFan wrote:
At 5/15/2010 8:46:31 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Con. All they do is hate on people.

Do you believe they have a right to say what they do, or should it be considered hate speech?

It's hate speech. At least most of it is.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2010 8:49:49 PM
They are in America. They can do whatever pleases them, as long as they are not disturbing the business of their government.
PalinFan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2010 8:51:56 PM
At 5/15/2010 8:49:49 PM, Mirza wrote:
They are in America. They can do whatever pleases them, as long as they are not disturbing the business of their government.

Yup, i suppose they should all dress up as ghosts and burn some lower case "t"s then!
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2010 8:53:11 PM
At 5/15/2010 8:51:56 PM, PalinFan wrote:
Yup, i suppose they should all dress up as ghosts and burn some lower case "t"s then!
Should? No. Can? Yes.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2010 8:54:34 PM
All I saw was the "God Hates America" on the back of the T-shirt.

I'm certainly sure God isn't too proud of what America has become ;)

Is there something behind this I should know about?
PalinFan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2010 8:56:35 PM
At 5/15/2010 8:54:34 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

Do you watch South Park?
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2010 8:56:59 PM
At 5/15/2010 8:56:35 PM, PalinFan wrote:

Do you watch South Park?

No.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2010 3:10:03 AM
Westboro baptist church are evangelicals minus the kindness.

And yes, I watch South Park.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2010 7:58:07 AM

From the Wiki: (WBC) is an Independent Baptist church and hate group known for its hatred of homosexuals. The group is best known for its protest activities, which include picketing funerals and desecration of the American flag.

Now, clearly they have a right to free speech (and flag burning) though they do infringe on private property quite a bit. They protest at churches all the time, the funerals of gay people (including Matt Shepard who died due to a gay hate crime) and even at other random funerals. For instance, they picketed the funeral of Matthew Snyder, a marine who was killed in Iraq, with banners saying "God hates f@gs" and "Thank God for dead soldiers."

They protested a memorial for 2006 Sago Mine disaster victims, claiming that the mining accident was God's revenge against America for its tolerance of homosexuality. They protest against Jews, Islam, Hindus, Catholics (they HATE Catholics) and any other Christian faction against their extremist views. They call Italians "mobster-breeding perverts" and say "God REALLY hates Italy." They also portray Italians as unintelligent and the validity of their "culture" is mocked as well. But! They also hate the Irish (lol sucks for you and I, Panda) and basically a handful of others... though their primary target is homosexuality. They say that gays are Nazis, etc., and go to college campuses and other public places to preach about how gays should be killed.

Now, regardless of rights, saying that kind of sh!t at people's funerals is horribly offensive and disrespectful - certainly not very Christian-like. Basically they're just an ignorant, intolerant hate group whose goal is to send messages of hatred and violence and justify it in the name of religion, like so many others do.
President of DDO
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2010 5:59:02 PM
At 5/16/2010 7:58:07 AM, theLwerd wrote:

From the Wiki: (WBC) is an Independent Baptist church and hate group known for its hatred of homosexuals. The group is best known for its protest activities, which include picketing funerals and desecration of the American flag.

Now, clearly they have a right to free speech (and flag burning) though they do infringe on private property quite a bit. They protest at churches all the time, the funerals of gay people (including Matt Shepard who died due to a gay hate crime) and even at other random funerals. For instance, they picketed the funeral of Matthew Snyder, a marine who was killed in Iraq, with banners saying "God hates f@gs" and "Thank God for dead soldiers."

They protested a memorial for 2006 Sago Mine disaster victims, claiming that the mining accident was God's revenge against America for its tolerance of homosexuality. They protest against Jews, Islam, Hindus, Catholics (they HATE Catholics) and any other Christian faction against their extremist views. They call Italians "mobster-breeding perverts" and say "God REALLY hates Italy." They also portray Italians as unintelligent and the validity of their "culture" is mocked as well. But! They also hate the Irish (lol sucks for you and I, Panda) and basically a handful of others... though their primary target is homosexuality. They say that gays are Nazis, etc., and go to college campuses and other public places to preach about how gays should be killed.

Now, regardless of rights, saying that kind of sh!t at people's funerals is horribly offensive and disrespectful - certainly not very Christian-like. Basically they're just an ignorant, intolerant hate group whose goal is to send messages of hatred and violence and justify it in the name of religion, like so many others do.

Omg. I'd like to beat the ignorance out of all of them.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2010 5:59:11 PM
I support their right to say whatever they want but obviously disagree with what it is they say.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2010 6:00:48 PM
At 5/17/2010 5:59:11 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I support their right to say whatever they want but obviously disagree with what it is they say.

I am also heavily against them interrupting funerals. What little b!tches.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2010 6:16:58 PM
At 5/17/2010 5:57:15 PM, wjmelements wrote:
I've never found anyone that supports them.

Maybe the KKK would support them.

*Googles*

Disclaimer :
NOTE: The Ku Klux Klan, LLC. has not or EVER will have ANY connection with The "Westboro Baptist Church". We absolutely repudiate their activities.

http://www.kukluxklan.bz...

I guess you're right.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2010 6:18:11 PM
At 5/17/2010 6:16:58 PM, Nags wrote:

*Googles*

Disclaimer :
NOTE: The Ku Klux Klan, LLC. has not or EVER will have ANY connection with The "Westboro Baptist Church". We absolutely repudiate their activities.

I guess you're right.

Nags admits defeat?
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2010 6:19:23 PM

Threatening families at funerals is where they don't have rights. Free Speech only exists on your property and where you are allowed by others on their property.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2010 6:21:39 PM
At 5/17/2010 6:19:23 PM, wjmelements wrote:

Threatening families at funerals is where they don't have rights. Free Speech only exists on your property and where you are allowed by others on their property.

And public property? Not sure if funerals count as public though - especially if you're paying for services somewhere. Besides, I'm sure a lot of that happens on church property.
President of DDO
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2010 6:22:32 PM

yeah, see I don't think you can bring it all down to property... whenever I think someone deserves a punch in the face... I don't think they have the right to do what they're doing.

The cemeteries may very well be public land... BUT they still deserve a good Whap.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2010 6:22:43 PM

Apparently the WBC is very explicit in their claims that they are not racist because the bible condemns it (???) though they have obviously depicted explicit racist slurs, photos, etc.
President of DDO
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2010 6:22:45 PM
At 5/17/2010 6:21:39 PM, theLwerd wrote:

And public property? Not sure if funerals count as public though - especially if you're paying for services somewhere. Besides, I'm sure a lot of that happens on church property.

Churches are actually owned by somebody, but (although I despise the concept of public property) where it exists, people usually have Free Speech protected by law.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2010 6:25:04 PM
At 5/17/2010 6:22:45 PM, wjmelements wrote:

Churches are actually owned by somebody, but (although I despise the concept of public property) where it exists, people usually have Free Speech protected by law.

Yeah, that's what I meant - they are on the church's property (usually owned by an establishment like the church itself, run by a few powerful people at the top).
President of DDO
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2010 6:27:51 PM
At 5/17/2010 6:22:43 PM, theLwerd wrote:

Apparently the WBC is very explicit in their claims that they are not racist because the bible condemns it (???) though they have obviously depicted explicit racist slurs, photos, etc.

As far as I'm concerned, the WBC is a piece of crap burning to hell.
Hurstman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2010 6:31:20 PM
At 5/17/2010 6:18:11 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

*Googles*

Disclaimer :

I guess you're right.

Nags admits defeat?

WOW
Cody_Franklin- "You aren't the sharpest bulb in the box, are you?"

Strikeeagle84015- "Why would you want a sharp bulb?"

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people" --Eleanor Roosevelt