Total Posts:35|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

The site is not international

Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2014 8:11:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
It is my impression that the site, initially when I joined, and currently, where I have remained a member, is not international in design and content. Taking a glimpse at the Big Issues, one sees many topics that are specific to America, and not other countries. Even the issues not exclusive to America seems to be so because they are blended among the many specific issues associated exclusively with American matters. Do not misunderstand me; I, surely, have take no issue with American content in itself. If the majority, being Americans, wish to discuss American presidential elections more than what happens in the European parliament, then that is perfectly acceptable. What is problematic, however, is the lack of activity that is relevant to a broader spectrum of societies. This can be attributed to the lack of non-American members; but, that brings me back to pointing at design of the site, specifically the part known as Big Issues, which is almost exclusively American of type.

Comments and notes are welcome. If you are here to make assumptions about my stance on Americans, which is perfectly fine and irrelevant to what I believe should be found on an international debate site, then feel free not to participate.
Raisor
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2014 8:21:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
What do you think could be done to draw a bigger international presence?

What topics would you like to see discussed more?
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2014 8:33:25 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/4/2014 8:21:57 PM, Raisor wrote:
What do you think could be done to draw a bigger international presence?
First and foremost I would start at changing everything related to one's profile; from choice of president and party, Big Issues, as well as the other summaries. When I joined the site, I knew what the demographics would be, because everything was exclusively American. For a site that aims to attract international members, it has failed severely. I specifically mean active members.

What topics would you like to see discussed more?
Topics of varying kind will be introduced at the point where individuals from other countries become more interested in using the site. That's why I want to start at the site design. My personal preferences are many; I have interest in regional issues and topics [Yugoslavia, Scandinavia, and Europe in general, for instance. There used to be European members more interested in something associated with these than is currently the case, hence I would wish for an expanded community. The topics, nevertheless, do not have to drastically differ in type from most current ones. They could, however, be more relevant to other societies as well.
Garbanza
Posts: 1,997
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 2:55:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I agree that the site isn't international. Should it be, though? Is that something we should assume is desirable?

US human rights doesn't extend to foreign nationals, so why should DDO?
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 3:18:22 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/5/2014 2:55:50 PM, Garbanza wrote:
I agree that the site isn't international. Should it be, though? Is that something we should assume is desirable?
No, we should not. It says here [http://www.debate.org...], however, "Debate.org is the premier online community where intelligent minds from around the world come to debate online and read the opinions of others." In addition, "The premise of the website was to enable a person of any creed, nationality, gender, or sexuality to have a platform to voice their opinions and to share ideas on any topic they choose."

While it is possible for anyone to join and remain active, it just isn't very convenient. If the site wants intelligent minds from around the world, it should have a design that does not make them feel excluded.

US human rights doesn't extend to foreign nationals, so why should DDO?
I don't have an interest in answering that nor do I have to. If the site targets Americans only, it should at least be made clear.
Garbanza
Posts: 1,997
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 3:21:17 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/5/2014 3:18:22 PM, Mirza wrote:

While it is possible for anyone to join and remain active, it just isn't very convenient. If the site wants intelligent minds from around the world, it should have a design that does not make them feel excluded.

Sounds reasonable.

US human rights doesn't extend to foreign nationals, so why should DDO?
I don't have an interest in answering that nor do I have to. If the site targets Americans only, it should at least be made clear.
DarthVitiosus
Posts: 624
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 7:42:32 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/4/2014 8:11:07 PM, Mirza wrote:
It is my impression that the site, initially when I joined, and currently, where I have remained a member, is not international in design and content. Taking a glimpse at the Big Issues, one sees many topics that are specific to America, and not other countries. Even the issues not exclusive to America seems to be so because they are blended among the many specific issues associated exclusively with American matters. Do not misunderstand me; I, surely, have take no issue with American content in itself. If the majority, being Americans, wish to discuss American presidential elections more than what happens in the European parliament, then that is perfectly acceptable. What is problematic, however, is the lack of activity that is relevant to a broader spectrum of societies. This can be attributed to the lack of non-American members; but, that brings me back to pointing at design of the site, specifically the part known as Big Issues, which is almost exclusively American of type.

Comments and notes are welcome. If you are here to make assumptions about my stance on Americans, which is perfectly fine and irrelevant to what I believe should be found on an international debate site, then feel free not to participate.

Fact #1: The site was started by Americans.
http://www.debate.org...

Fact #2: The site is frequented by mostly Americans. 1 in 10 people on the site are from America.
http://www.debate.org...

Fact #3: This is a for-profit site.
There simply is not enough non-American people and non-English speaking peoples to make this site into an international site. There is no incentive at all to make it into an international site.
WILL NOT BE REMOVED UNTIL:
#1. I have met 10 people worth discussing with on DDO who are not interested in ideological or romantic visions of the world we all live in.
#2. 10 people admit they have no interest in any one else's opinion other than their own.
#3. 10 people admit they are products of their environment and their ideas derive from said environment rather than doing any serious critical thinking and search for answers themselves.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 8:32:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/5/2014 7:42:32 PM, DarthVitiosus wrote:
Fact #1: The site was started by Americans.
http://www.debate.org...
If you have a point, aside from stating the obvious, make it known to me, Ma'am.

Fact #2: The site is frequented by mostly Americans. 1 in 10 people on the site are from America.
http://www.debate.org...
That can only be good. If the user content on the site comes mostly from Americans, which is the case, then that would be sufficient reason to draw other American to the site.

Fact #3: This is a for-profit site.
There simply is not enough non-American people and non-English speaking peoples to make this site into an international site. There is no incentive at all to make it into an international site.
Nothing I said concerning changing site design would affect American individuals, neither positively nor negatively. What the site design does, however, is to make it clear that it is based largely on American issues and politics [see Big Issues, and other profile options]. This on its own doesn't draw Americans nearer to the site; if they come through search engines, there are a plethora of ways the site will become known: debates being based on American issues, member profiles having American keywords [cities, states, etc.], and so forth. For the non-Americans, however, there is something repelling about the design being exclusively American. If the site designers intend to make the site a site for Americans primarily, I have two comments on that: changing the design so as to make it more international in itself would not repel Americans; and, additionally, they would have to make it more apparent to visitors, since it is made crystal clear to everyone that the site wants an international community. This is written on the front page, as well as other site areas.
DarthVitiosus
Posts: 624
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 9:37:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/5/2014 8:32:04 PM, Mirza wrote:
Nothing I said concerning changing site design would affect American individuals, neither positively nor negatively. What the site design does, however, is to make it clear that it is based largely on American issues and politics [see Big Issues, and other profile options]. This on its own doesn't draw Americans nearer to the site; if they come through search engines, there are a plethora of ways the site will become known: debates being based on American issues, member profiles having American keywords [cities, states, etc.], and so forth. For the non-Americans, however, there is something repelling about the design being exclusively American. If the site designers intend to make the site a site for Americans primarily, I have two comments on that: changing the design so as to make it more international in itself would not repel Americans; and, additionally, they would have to make it more apparent to visitors, since it is made crystal clear to everyone that the site wants an international community. This is written on the front page, as well as other site areas.

What does the site's effects on Americans have to do with anything I stated? I am asking simply, what is the incentive for Juggle to make this into an international site? There are no site demographics to indicate this. At best, they could make the site more open to people from English countries since most non-American users come from English speaking countries like the UK, India, Canada, Australia, and Hong Kong.

NOTE: "Comments and notes are welcome." Mendacious rhetoric. It is very clear comments are not welcome when the OP decides to insult those who disagree with him.
WILL NOT BE REMOVED UNTIL:
#1. I have met 10 people worth discussing with on DDO who are not interested in ideological or romantic visions of the world we all live in.
#2. 10 people admit they have no interest in any one else's opinion other than their own.
#3. 10 people admit they are products of their environment and their ideas derive from said environment rather than doing any serious critical thinking and search for answers themselves.
Cermank
Posts: 3,773
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 9:50:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/4/2014 8:33:25 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 12/4/2014 8:21:57 PM, Raisor wrote:
What do you think could be done to draw a bigger international presence?
First and foremost I would start at changing everything related to one's profile; from choice of president and party, Big Issues, as well as the other summaries. When I joined the site, I knew what the demographics would be, because everything was exclusively American. For a site that aims to attract international members, it has failed severely. I specifically mean active members.

I sort of agree with this. I think most of the big issues, however, are pretty general. The only thing US specific on the site 'party', and presidential choice. Adding a country specific choice there, although it would be a a lot of work, could help with a more homely feel for international users. (Maybe a write-in option?)

Which big issues would you like to add, if you could?
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 10:28:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/5/2014 9:37:36 PM, DarthVitiosus wrote:
What does the site's effects on Americans have to do with anything I stated?
It is relevant to your point about the main demographics being Americans. Even if the site is made more international in design, it would not change anything about how many Americans there are, or how many more will arrive. The profit incentive could remain the same. Not that you have explained how important that is, nevertheless. The profit comes from ads.

I am asking simply, what is the incentive for Juggle to make this into an international site? There are no site demographics to indicate this. At best, they could make the site more open to people from English countries since most non-American users come from English speaking countries like the UK, India, Canada, Australia, and Hong Kong.
I never said it should be made perfectly accessible for all nationalities. That's highly unlikely to happen, since there would have to be added many more languages and made other changes. That's besides my point. Making the site more international would involve making basic options and design neutral, such as in terms of politics. That's beneficial for the non-Americans who find the site, and would neither take any significant time nor resources for Juggle to change.

NOTE: "Comments and notes are welcome." Mendacious rhetoric. It is very clear comments are not welcome when the OP decides to insult those who disagree with him.
I haven't insulted you.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 10:34:30 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/5/2014 9:50:05 PM, Cermank wrote:
I sort of agree with this. I think most of the big issues, however, are pretty general. The only thing US specific on the site 'party', and presidential choice. Adding a country specific choice there, although it would be a a lot of work, could help with a more homely feel for international users. (Maybe a write-in option?)
A write-in option would probably not work with this system, since it would not be able to figure out whether or not users agree with one another.

Which big issues would you like to add, if you could?
I haven't paid much attention to specifics; however, I would start by removing those exclusively related to American politics. "Federal Reserve" as an option on a site that aims for a rather broader international pool of members seems nonsensical.
imabench
Posts: 21,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 10:36:29 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/4/2014 8:11:07 PM, Mirza wrote:

Comments and notes are welcome. If you are here to make assumptions about my stance on Americans, which is perfectly fine and irrelevant to what I believe should be found on an international debate site, then feel free not to participate.

The reach this site has to internationals will always be limited by the fact that all of the content on this site is English, which cuts out a very large chunk of the world from even having the ability to take part in conversation here since language is the single biggest barrier that separates people.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 10:42:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/5/2014 10:36:29 PM, imabench wrote:
The reach this site has to internationals will always be limited by the fact that all of the content on this site is English, which cuts out a very large chunk of the world from even having the ability to take part in conversation here since language is the single biggest barrier that separates people.
Indeed, and my point is not that every nation should be inspired to join. I want the simple changes that, at least, doesn't make the site design seem exclusively American.
imabench
Posts: 21,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 10:48:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/5/2014 10:42:56 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 12/5/2014 10:36:29 PM, imabench wrote:
The reach this site has to internationals will always be limited by the fact that all of the content on this site is English, which cuts out a very large chunk of the world from even having the ability to take part in conversation here since language is the single biggest barrier that separates people.

Indeed, and my point is not that every nation should be inspired to join. I want the simple changes that, at least, doesn't make the site design seem exclusively American.

Well we have a good number of people from Australia and England, but thats also because this site is English-friendly.

The best way to lure in more internationals would probably be to update the big issues to include more foreign issues of predominantly English-speaking countries. Scottish Independence, CO2 tax (a big issue in Australia), The EU and the Euro are some immediate topics I could think of, and im sure there are others as well
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 10:52:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/5/2014 10:48:09 PM, imabench wrote:
Well we have a good number of people from Australia and England, but thats also because this site is English-friendly.

The best way to lure in more internationals would probably be to update the big issues to include more foreign issues of predominantly English-speaking countries. Scottish Independence, CO2 tax (a big issue in Australia), The EU and the Euro are some immediate topics I could think of, and im sure there are others as well
That is what I want to change. I am not asking for drastic changes whatsoever; merely the ones that are too specific for one country should be changed, and that included profile options for Party and President.
imabench
Posts: 21,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 10:57:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/5/2014 10:52:44 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 12/5/2014 10:48:09 PM, imabench wrote:
Well we have a good number of people from Australia and England, but thats also because this site is English-friendly.

The best way to lure in more internationals would probably be to update the big issues to include more foreign issues of predominantly English-speaking countries. Scottish Independence, CO2 tax (a big issue in Australia), The EU and the Euro are some immediate topics I could think of, and im sure there are others as well

That is what I want to change. I am not asking for drastic changes whatsoever; merely the ones that are too specific for one country should be changed, and that included profile options for Party and President.

Do you think it would be best to get rid of party and president preferences completely, or to have them include options for other countries?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
joepbr
Posts: 128
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 11:07:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/4/2014 8:11:07 PM, Mirza wrote:
It is my impression that the site, initially when I joined, and currently, where I have remained a member, is not international in design and content. Taking a glimpse at the Big Issues, one sees many topics that are specific to America, and not other countries. Even the issues not exclusive to America seems to be so because they are blended among the many specific issues associated exclusively with American matters. Do not misunderstand me; I, surely, have take no issue with American content in itself. If the majority, being Americans, wish to discuss American presidential elections more than what happens in the European parliament, then that is perfectly acceptable. What is problematic, however, is the lack of activity that is relevant to a broader spectrum of societies. This can be attributed to the lack of non-American members; but, that brings me back to pointing at design of the site, specifically the part known as Big Issues, which is almost exclusively American of type.

Comments and notes are welcome. If you are here to make assumptions about my stance on Americans, which is perfectly fine and irrelevant to what I believe should be found on an international debate site, then feel free not to participate.

I completely agree. I have nothing against Americans but I really believe this site would be much better and appeal to a bigger and more diversified community if it wasn't so blatantly US-centric. I think that one of the main reasons for why I haven't been more active here as I'd like to is because it sometimes feels too alien and unwelcoming.
My alternative to the Political Compass: http://www.debate.org...
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 11:19:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/5/2014 10:57:45 PM, imabench wrote:
Do you think it would be best to get rid of party and president preferences completely, or to have them include options for other countries?
It should be a write-in option.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 11:21:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/5/2014 11:07:46 PM, joepbr wrote:
I completely agree. I have nothing against Americans but I really believe this site would be much better and appeal to a bigger and more diversified community if it wasn't so blatantly US-centric. I think that one of the main reasons for why I haven't been more active here as I'd like to is because it sometimes feels too alien and unwelcoming.
Glad you participated here and made it more apparent.
joepbr
Posts: 128
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 11:24:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/5/2014 10:36:29 PM, imabench wrote:
At 12/4/2014 8:11:07 PM, Mirza wrote:

Comments and notes are welcome. If you are here to make assumptions about my stance on Americans, which is perfectly fine and irrelevant to what I believe should be found on an international debate site, then feel free not to participate.

The reach this site has to internationals will always be limited by the fact that all of the content on this site is English, which cuts out a very large chunk of the world from even having the ability to take part in conversation here since language is the single biggest barrier that separates people.

Not necessarily. English is currently the main lingua franca of the world, so it's not restricted to English speaking countries, in fact, it's estimated that for every native English speaker there are about 3 non-native speakers. Also, the format of debates here can be really useful for non-native speakers who want to improve their English skills.
My alternative to the Political Compass: http://www.debate.org...
DarthVitiosus
Posts: 624
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 5:32:35 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/5/2014 10:28:05 PM, Mirza wrote:
It is relevant to your point about the main demographics being Americans. Even if the site is made more international in design, it would not change anything about how many Americans there are, or how many more will arrive. The profit incentive could remain the same. Not that you have explained how important that is, nevertheless. The profit comes from ads.
Fair enough. I was implying, that non-English speaking peoples would struggle to maneuver the site. Juggle would need to hire people or contract someone in their own company to translate the languages which would cost a significant amount of money.
I never said it should be made perfectly accessible for all nationalities. That's highly unlikely to happen, since there would have to be added many more languages and made other changes. That's besides my point. Making the site more international would involve making basic options and design neutral, such as in terms of politics. That's beneficial for the non-Americans who find the site, and would neither take any significant time nor resources for Juggle to change.
You are referring to only the big issues, correct? I thought you were trying to say that there should be other languages to accommodate non-English users. I would not consider the site international just by allowing more big issues that are international. I think I see what you are getting at though.
WILL NOT BE REMOVED UNTIL:
#1. I have met 10 people worth discussing with on DDO who are not interested in ideological or romantic visions of the world we all live in.
#2. 10 people admit they have no interest in any one else's opinion other than their own.
#3. 10 people admit they are products of their environment and their ideas derive from said environment rather than doing any serious critical thinking and search for answers themselves.
kbub
Posts: 1,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 8:05:57 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/4/2014 8:11:07 PM, Mirza wrote:
It is my impression that the site, initially when I joined, and currently, where I have remained a member, is not international in design and content. Taking a glimpse at the Big Issues, one sees many topics that are specific to America, and not other countries. Even the issues not exclusive to America seems to be so because they are blended among the many specific issues associated exclusively with American matters. Do not misunderstand me; I, surely, have take no issue with American content in itself. If the majority, being Americans, wish to discuss American presidential elections more than what happens in the European parliament, then that is perfectly acceptable. What is problematic, however, is the lack of activity that is relevant to a broader spectrum of societies. This can be attributed to the lack of non-American members; but, that brings me back to pointing at design of the site, specifically the part known as Big Issues, which is almost exclusively American of type.

Comments and notes are welcome. If you are here to make assumptions about my stance on Americans, which is perfectly fine and irrelevant to what I believe should be found on an international debate site, then feel free not to participate.

Not just American either: a huge US slant.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 9:36:35 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/6/2014 5:32:35 AM, DarthVitiosus wrote:
Fair enough. I was implying, that non-English speaking peoples would struggle to maneuver the site. Juggle would need to hire people or contract someone in their own company to translate the languages which would cost a significant amount of money.
I very much doubt Juggle would, at any point in the near future, commit to such a task. I don't find it important, either. The areas I mentioned are more important.

You are referring to only the big issues, correct? I thought you were trying to say that there should be other languages to accommodate non-English users. I would not consider the site international just by allowing more big issues that are international. I think I see what you are getting at though.
Not only the Big Issues; there are also the profile sections like choice of President or Party.
DarthVitiosus
Posts: 624
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 9:39:17 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/6/2014 9:36:35 AM, Mirza wrote:
Not only the Big Issues; there are also the profile sections like choice of President or Party.

I agree, this would be a better. It would probably even better to just allow people to type in their choices for the big issues, president, and parties rather than determining what they should choose.
WILL NOT BE REMOVED UNTIL:
#1. I have met 10 people worth discussing with on DDO who are not interested in ideological or romantic visions of the world we all live in.
#2. 10 people admit they have no interest in any one else's opinion other than their own.
#3. 10 people admit they are products of their environment and their ideas derive from said environment rather than doing any serious critical thinking and search for answers themselves.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 2:31:08 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/6/2014 9:39:17 AM, DarthVitiosus wrote:
At 12/6/2014 9:36:35 AM, Mirza wrote:
Not only the Big Issues; there are also the profile sections like choice of President or Party.

I agree, this would be a better. It would probably even better to just allow people to type in their choices for the big issues, president, and parties rather than determining what they should choose.
For the other options, yes. As for the Big Issues, the reason why it would not work with a write-in option is that there would be no way for the system to figure out whether or not one user agrees with another. There is currently no algorithm to figure all that out with the use of user-submitted phrases; the amount of work that would have to be dedicated just for that would be exceptionally high, and not worth the cause. Instead, I think some specific issues should be removed, and what sort of issues one should display on his profile should be optional. In addition, more international issues should be added, and people willing to put their position on certain issues on display should choose what should be on their list of Big Issues.
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 2:37:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I would just like to note that I do agree with most of what's here. That said, it's a change to the actual site itself, and so is subject to that process--which means, unfortunately, that it's not feasible at present.

Which is not to say that the discussion isn't valuable.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
joepbr
Posts: 128
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 4:42:53 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/5/2014 10:34:30 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 12/5/2014 9:50:05 PM, Cermank wrote:
I sort of agree with this. I think most of the big issues, however, are pretty general. The only thing US specific on the site 'party', and presidential choice. Adding a country specific choice there, although it would be a a lot of work, could help with a more homely feel for international users. (Maybe a write-in option?)
A write-in option would probably not work with this system, since it would not be able to figure out whether or not users agree with one another.

Which big issues would you like to add, if you could?
I haven't paid much attention to specifics; however, I would start by removing those exclusively related to American politics. "Federal Reserve" as an option on a site that aims for a rather broader international pool of members seems nonsensical.

While I believe that changing the president, party and big issues would be an important step in making DDO more international, I don't think these changes alone would guarantee that the site will be more welcoming to non-Americans. Maybe it would be a good idea if we foreigners made a group dedicated to promote intercultural exchange of ideas and a more cosmopolitan environment around the site

Maybe something in the same fashion as this: http://www.debate.org...
My alternative to the Political Compass: http://www.debate.org...
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 5:04:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/6/2014 4:42:53 PM, joepbr wrote:
While I believe that changing the president, party and big issues would be an important step in making DDO more international, I don't think these changes alone would guarantee that the site will be more welcoming to non-Americans. Maybe it would be a good idea if we foreigners made a group dedicated to promote intercultural exchange of ideas and a more cosmopolitan environment around the site

Maybe something in the same fashion as this: http://www.debate.org...
That would be a good initiative, Sir. You can PM me if you want to discuss it more in detail. With regard to the site design changes, keep in mind that it will unlikely happen in the near future, because no active user here works for Juggle. Only if they are willing to invest time will the changes be introduced. I must, additionally, note that the American users here have nothing to do with making the site less welcome; in fact, they are extremely welcoming, and many happy that there are non-Americans who can be part of the community. However, it would only be a net-benefit with a few key changes to the site that could attract users from other nations.