Jump to topic:

Summary of this years election thus far

Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 8:18:16 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'd like start a thread that summarizes the discussions that have happened so far, i.e.

(1) Some have suggested I can be too hot-headed to run the site.

Most examples of me being hot-headed aren't really relevant. They involve mafia games, which are just games. There's no problem with getting really into a game. There are also specific instances of clashing with certain members, like niquash, but lots of others (including other presidents) clashed with those people. Some users just get under your skin. Eddie would have been just as mad at niquash if he'd said the same things about Eddie's fiance/wife

In addition, being president doesn't give you mod power. President is focused on pushing proposals and ensuring we have a good community here. I'm committed to both.

(2) Some have suggested imabench's past conduct makes him unfit to be VP

But ima has apologized for his past conduct, has noted that despite people's opinions of him, he has started consulting regularly with airmax to make sure his new videos don't run afoul of the mod policy, and all of his clashes have also been with specific users (a lot of which turned out to be stalin or RM multis). He's said he came back because he loves this community and wants to make it great.

(3) People have expressed concerns about banning toxic users

But we've defined a user as toxic where (1) a substantial number of the user's interactions are not acceptable conduct violation of the TOS and/or the new moderation policy, such that (2) the user in question has seriously degraded a significant number of other users' experience of the site, and (3) there are no significant mitigating circumstances. (4) They have not chosen to reform or improve

No one has suggested a system that would ban someone with no due process for conduct that is merely unpopular, without being otherwise "wrongful" in some way. We're talking about a system that would be more effective than the moderation policy in dealing with toxic members, given that the current policy *tends* to focus on short-term solutions (short bans or restraining orders) over long-term solutions (perma-bans and evaluating a user's conduct as a whole on the site). Wouldn't you like to know that if a user you really hate is only issued a restraining order, there's some system in place that will take your complaints more seriously?

Ideas that I want to be implemented

(a) Working out some way to clean out the religion forum
(b) Working out some way to clean out the polls and opinions (not deleting)
(c) Implementing Ragnras users guide as a sticky or put it on the front page
(d) Changing the criteria for how debate, polls, and ops end up on the front page( rework)
(e) Voting and Debate incentives, such as vote of the week, debate of the week, user of the week etc. I also plan to have a friend help me running a voting project where a group of people get a great deal of votes for the week and have them praised and thanked in a forum. One of which may be the vote of the week
(f) Running more tournies and debates with high quality debates with the help of bluesteel
(d) At request re adopt to the AAN system and re work it, and establish a AAN tourney that goes all the way through
(d) Have a weekly/biweekly show hosted by ima , where debates of the week, votes of the week, and more DDO news is posted in a video weekly or bi weekly.

See first episode here

http://www.debate.org...

I want everyone on here to have a good experience, and not get bored of the site. There are changes that I can make to help improve the experience and let us have some fun. The big changes though, I need both your faith and confidence to make happen. I care about this site and this position, that should be more than evident with the massive amount of effort I have put into this thus far since I have announced I was running.

I will do anything I can to help or answer questions live or in emails. Keep in my mind my Dad is disabled at this present point, and I try to help out when I can. So if i randomly leave google plus, or message its probably because im checking on him or helping someone around here. I will be back to finish the response.

Thank you guys for the support you have gave us thus far, and for some of the encouraging words. With your help we can start to change the site in a positive way
Ajabi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 9:02:33 AM
At 12/5/2014 8:18:16 AM, Mikal wrote:

I will admit I thought Mikal was too immature, and lazy to be our president. Though I have seen him address the issues with open-mindedness, and he has shown great determination.

I pledge my allegiance to Mikal, and Imabench. :P I've decided to vote for you guys. :) Just keep up this determination Miki.
Daltonian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 9:07:47 AM
I voted for bladerunner in the opening poll and now am undecided/leaning voting for you. Do not be discouraged by the criticisms, as your opinions and efforts are being heard.
F _ C K
All I need is "u", baby
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 10:41:34 AM
I think the unpolished hot headed thing is a net benefit. Somebody who isn't afraid to look like a jerk is unafraid to be honest.

I just can't see somebody who is doing everything in his power to not offend being as capable of being as honest.

If you want to feel good about yourself, ask the guy who cares about your feelings but if you want honesty ask the asswhole.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 11:06:38 AM
At 12/5/2014 9:22:11 AM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
Bladerunner really needs to step up his advertisement/propoganda game lol...

Yeah, he does.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 12:29:07 PM
At 12/5/2014 9:02:33 AM, Ajabi wrote:

I will admit I thought Mikal was too immature, and lazy to be our president. Though I have seen him address the issues with open-mindedness, and he has shown great determination.

I pledge my allegiance to Mikal, and Imabench. :P I've decided to vote for you guys. :) Just keep up this determination Miki.

thanks buddy
SebUK
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 9:37:58 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I'd like start a thread that summarizes the discussions that have happened so far, i.e.

(1) Some have suggested I can be too hot-headed to run the site.

Most examples of me being hot-headed aren't really relevant. They involve mafia games, which are just games. There's no problem with getting really into a game. There are also specific instances of clashing with certain members, like niquash, but lots of others (including other presidents) clashed with those people. Some users just get under your skin. Eddie would have been just as mad at niquash if he'd said the same things about Eddie's fiance/wife

In addition, being president doesn't give you mod power. President is focused on pushing proposals and ensuring we have a good community here. I'm committed to both.

(2) Some have suggested imabench's past conduct makes him unfit to be VP

But ima has apologized for his past conduct, has noted that despite people's opinions of him, he has started consulting regularly with airmax to make sure his new videos don't run afoul of the mod policy, and all of his clashes have also been with specific users (a lot of which turned out to be stalin or RM multis). He's said he came back because he loves this community and wants to make it great.

(3) People have expressed concerns about banning toxic users

But we've defined a user as toxic where (1) a substantial number of the user's interactions are not acceptable conduct violation of the TOS and/or the new moderation policy, such that (2) the user in question has seriously degraded a significant number of other users' experience of the site, and (3) there are no significant mitigating circumstances. (4) They have not chosen to reform or improve

No one has suggested a system that would ban someone with no due process for conduct that is merely unpopular, without being otherwise "wrongful" in some way. We're talking about a system that would be more effective than the moderation policy in dealing with toxic members, given that the current policy *tends* to focus on short-term solutions (short bans or restraining orders) over long-term solutions (perma-bans and evaluating a user's conduct as a whole on the site). Wouldn't you like to know that if a user you really hate is only issued a restraining order, there's some system in place that will take your complaints more seriously?

Ideas that I want to be implemented

(a) Working out some way to clean out the religion forum
(b) Working out some way to clean out the polls and opinions (not deleting)
(c) Implementing Ragnras users guide as a sticky or put it on the front page
(d) Changing the criteria for how debate, polls, and ops end up on the front page( rework)
(e) Voting and Debate incentives, such as vote of the week, debate of the week, user of the week etc. I also plan to have a friend help me running a voting project where a group of people get a great deal of votes for the week and have them praised and thanked in a forum. One of which may be the vote of the week
(f) Running more tournies and debates with high quality debates with the help of bluesteel
(d) At request re adopt to the AAN system and re work it, and establish a AAN tourney that goes all the way through
(d) Have a weekly/biweekly show hosted by ima , where debates of the week, votes of the week, and more DDO news is posted in a video weekly or bi weekly.

See first episode here

http://www.debate.org...

I want everyone on here to have a good experience, and not get bored of the site. There are changes that I can make to help improve the experience and let us have some fun. The big changes though, I need both your faith and confidence to make happen. I care about this site and this position, that should be more than evident with the massive amount of effort I have put into this thus far since I have announced I was running.

I will do anything I can to help or answer questions live or in emails. Keep in my mind my Dad is disabled at this present point, and I try to help out when I can. So if i randomly leave google plus, or message its probably because im checking on him or helping someone around here. I will be back to finish the response.

Thank you guys for the support you have gave us thus far, and for some of the encouraging words. With your help we can start to change the site in a positive way

You have my support .
I WILL DECIDE WHAT THIS DEBATE IS ABOUT. I AM SPIRITUAL, NOT RELIGIOYUS. YOU DONT HAVE TO BE RELIGIOUS TO BELIEVE IN GOD, AND YOU DO WORSHIP MONEY IF YOU CARE MORE ABOUT YOUR WALLET THAAN YOU DO THE POOR. YOU ARE A TROLL THAT IS OUT FOR ATTENTUION."- SitaraMusica