bladerunner060 / Cermank 2015

bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 11:58:33 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Howdy folks!

The election is looming, so I feel like it's time to start making some announcements regarding my candidacy.

First, let me say thanks to bsh1 again. He advised me, unfortunately, that he doesn't want to be VP again. bsh1 has been a fantastic VP, and I appreciate all of his help. I wish him the best of luck on his semi-hiatus! I'm sure I will continue to rely on him for help and advice, and that the help and advice he gives me will be as awesome as it always has. But of course, an adminstration needs a VP. So I'm hereby announcing my running-mate:

Cermank has said she's willing to by my Vice President! Everybody knows Cermank; she's is a fantastic member who has been on this site longer than I have. I'm grateful that she chose to accept my offer, and I'm confident she'll be a great VP.

But wait, there's more!

Last election, I did not have a Chief of Staff. But this time around, I decided that I wanted one to help me with ensure that I can get done what I want to get done with the membership. To that end, I asked thett3 to be my Chief of Staff. And he agreed! Just as I'm confident that Cermank is going to be a great VP, I'm confident that thett's going to be a great CoS.

We will post a detailed outline of our platform and objectives soon (including some other folks who have already signed on for specific roles), but feel free to ask us any questions you want here, too.

Thanks DDO!
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
ElCorazonAma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 12:04:48 PM
oh my!!! this just became real... Cermank is a good friend and a sweet girl...
The verb is real but the adjective is only a hypothetical ideal. ~ Freedo
Daltonian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 12:15:12 PM
At 12/5/2014 11:58:33 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
Oh, interesting..

I voted for you in the polls, but I have recently begun to be compelled by some of Mikal's proposals for the site.. What is your reaction to Mikal's platform? Do you oppose his ideas for the site?

Specifically;
What are your thoughts on the wider implementation of a balanced trial system?

What about one in which the weight of the verdict was balanced between a predetermined jury and voters?

What are your thoughts on "user toxicity"?

Do you feel that the president of the site should have a greater role in making changes and decisions outside of drafting new ToS or etc?

What are your thoughts on Mikal's VP choice?

Would your presidency pursue a very much opposing, similar, or unrelated line of direction as Mikal's platform?
Why or why not?
F _ C K
All I need is "u", baby
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 1:39:53 PM
At 12/5/2014 12:15:12 PM, Daltonian wrote:
Oh, interesting..

I voted for you in the polls, but I have recently begun to be compelled by some of Mikal's proposals for the site.. What is your reaction to Mikal's platform? Do you oppose his ideas for the site?

Well, I don't want to be negative on my opponents. I respect all three of them very much. I don't know if I truly "oppose" anything--there are some things I don't agree with, and there are some things that I think are a bit unrealistic. My concerns with their platform are largely of a practical nature. And also, I of course think I can do a better job--but of course I think that.

Specifically;

As a culture we need to remember that it wasn't a hallowed part of history. It was done twice, as far as I recollect: Once with a conviction, and once with an acquittal. I don't think it's something we should rush into, nor do I think it's something that a president can do on their own. The moderators and Juggle hold the power--they would need to acquiesce to any system, and the community needs to know precisely what it wants before we can get going on getting it implemented. It's controversial, to be sure. It's been controversial since forever--there are threads from 2 years ago talking about it. The community's interest in it seems to wane when these discussions happen though--in large part because no matter how simple you make it, it's going to be a somewhat complicated process. And no matter how fair you try to make it, opinions on it will differ.

I, like a LOT of users on here, have always liked the idea of the trial system. I have put a lot of thought into what I think a workable system might be--it's been my private hobbyhorse for a long time. I'd be happy to outline it...That said, I don't like the idea of it being a campaign issue except inasmuch as it reflects the candidates's vision for the site--that is, were I opposed to the notion, it would be a wedge issue. But I am not opposed to the principle. How that principle is applied is going to involve a LOT of site-wide discussion, and relies on a president's ability to successfully interact with the community, our hosts, and the mod. It needs to be something the community supports, and it ALSO should be the best system--best in terms of principle application and in terms of site input.

So, while I obviously think my ideas on the subject are the best ever, I'm quite happy that the conversation on the subject is happening, and I think that BOTH of the campaigns should be wholly willing to incorporate whatever elements are best. The president's job is to help get the will of the users implemented (with the understanding that practical considerations and principles both come into play). I am glad that these elections dredge up these sorts of contentious issues, because sometimes they're simmering somewhat below the surface. As an advocate for the community, I've tried to do what the community wants...I hadn't previously pushed on trials because I hadn't seen the interest I now see in it, and there is some historical resistance to the idea.

What about one in which the weight of the verdict was balanced between a predetermined jury and voters?

I would generally tend towards a jury pool for several practical reasons.

I think it's a problem, and always has been one. I'm somewhat surprised to see it being such an issue in this particular election. I think it's an incredibly subjective term, though, and defining it sufficiently that it's useful and fair is going to be a monumental task for any proposal of a trial system. The goal of the site is the exchange of ideas. Keeping that as free as possible is of utmost importance. Yet the fact that we're having this conversation means that, to many, that goal is actually somewhat hindered by the actions of some.

Do you feel that the president of the site should have a greater role in making changes and decisions outside of drafting new ToS or etc?

Well, of course I'm in favor of an expanded presidential role! But it will always be somewhat limited and beholden to interacting with Juggle and the mods. It's a private site, and Juggle (probably rightly) fears any shift in the balance of power for their own site.

Bench is certainly a choice that gets people talking!

Would your presidency pursue a very much opposing, similar, or unrelated line of direction as Mikal's platform?

Probably very similar. I'm sure there are specific things that we are in opposition on, but in terms of general direction I think we all have the same or similar goals. We all want DDO to be a better place--perfection is impossible, but we can always get closer. My opponents are three respected and valuable members of the community--it's unlikely that they're going to have an idea that I think is utter nonsense, even if I disagree.

Why or why not?

Well, it's mostly mindset/personality differences. It is my opinion that bannings are an unfortunate necessity. I don't think that my opponents would wildly disagree with me on that statement. It would be my preference that no one ever be banned, but that's a practical impossibility--some behavior requires it, and I'm not just talking about these ideas of trials, I'm talking in general. But I focus on the "unfortunate" part, and I think they have a tendency to be more focused on the "necessity" part.

I also think that I have a more conservative view on what can be realistically promised. I don't like promising in vain; to really promise something, it has to be entirely in your power to do. That's different than "I think I can convince the people I need to".
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 1:59:14 PM
At 12/5/2014 1:39:53 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 12/5/2014 12:15:12 PM, Daltonian wrote:
Oh, interesting..

Well, I don't want to be negative on my opponents. I respect all three of them very much. I don't know if I truly "oppose" anything--there are some things I don't agree with, and there are some things that I think are a bit unrealistic. My concerns with their platform are largely of a practical nature. And also, I of course think I can do a better job--but of course I think that.

Specifically;

As a culture we need to remember that it wasn't a hallowed part of history. It was done twice, as far as I recollect: Once with a conviction, and once with an acquittal. I don't think it's something we should rush into, nor do I think it's something that a president can do on their own. The moderators and Juggle hold the power--they would need to acquiesce to any system, and the community needs to know precisely what it wants before we can get going on getting it implemented. It's controversial, to be sure. It's been controversial since forever--there are threads from 2 years ago talking about it. The community's interest in it seems to wane when these discussions happen though--in large part because no matter how simple you make it, it's going to be a somewhat complicated process. And no matter how fair you try to make it, opinions on it will differ.

I, like a LOT of users on here, have always liked the idea of the trial system. I have put a lot of thought into what I think a workable system might be--it's been my private hobbyhorse for a long time. I'd be happy to outline it...That said, I don't like the idea of it being a campaign issue except inasmuch as it reflects the candidates's vision for the site--that is, were I opposed to the notion, it would be a wedge issue. But I am not opposed to the principle. How that principle is applied is going to involve a LOT of site-wide discussion, and relies on a president's ability to successfully interact with the community, our hosts, and the mod. It needs to be something the community supports, and it ALSO should be the best system--best in terms of principle application and in terms of site input.

So, while I obviously think my ideas on the subject are the best ever, I'm quite happy that the conversation on the subject is happening, and I think that BOTH of the campaigns should be wholly willing to incorporate whatever elements are best. The president's job is to help get the will of the users implemented (with the understanding that practical considerations and principles both come into play). I am glad that these elections dredge up these sorts of contentious issues, because sometimes they're simmering somewhat below the surface. As an advocate for the community, I've tried to do what the community wants...I hadn't previously pushed on trials because I hadn't seen the interest I now see in it, and there is some historical resistance to the idea.

I would generally tend towards a jury pool for several practical reasons.

I think it's a problem, and always has been one. I'm somewhat surprised to see it being such an issue in this particular election. I think it's an incredibly subjective term, though, and defining it sufficiently that it's useful and fair is going to be a monumental task for any proposal of a trial system. The goal of the site is the exchange of ideas. Keeping that as free as possible is of utmost importance. Yet the fact that we're having this conversation means that, to many, that goal is actually somewhat hindered by the actions of some.

This alone wins my vote outright.

That is all.

Well, of course I'm in favor of an expanded presidential role! But it will always be somewhat limited and beholden to interacting with Juggle and the mods. It's a private site, and Juggle (probably rightly) fears any shift in the balance of power for their own site.

Bench is certainly a choice that gets people talking!

Probably very similar. I'm sure there are specific things that we are in opposition on, but in terms of general direction I think we all have the same or similar goals. We all want DDO to be a better place--perfection is impossible, but we can always get closer. My opponents are three respected and valuable members of the community--it's unlikely that they're going to have an idea that I think is utter nonsense, even if I disagree.

Why or why not?

Well, it's mostly mindset/personality differences. It is my opinion that bannings are an unfortunate necessity. I don't think that my opponents would wildly disagree with me on that statement. It would be my preference that no one ever be banned, but that's a practical impossibility--some behavior requires it, and I'm not just talking about these ideas of trials, I'm talking in general. But I focus on the "unfortunate" part, and I think they have a tendency to be more focused on the "necessity" part.

I also think that I have a more conservative view on what can be realistically promised. I don't like promising in vain; to really promise something, it has to be entirely in your power to do. That's different than "I think I can convince the people I need to".
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 3:15:31 PM
Cermank... wow. That's a great VP. I just have a few questions...

1) You've said that you would be a spokesperson for every member. Would this mean bans would significantly decrease due to you seeing two sides of a story?

2) DDO is a great site, and I think everyone wants to keep it that way. When new members barge onto the site acting egotistic, boastful, and making a bad impression, would you compensate warning them?

3) The religious forum, the polls, and the opinions seem clustered. Mikal and Imabench vowed to clean them out (some way,) do you have a mind to do the same?

4) Forfeiture and spam debates are becoming quite common. While it would be tough to get forfeiture down, do you have any opinions on spam debates?

5) On the topic of debates, I've noticed quite a few have gone unvoted. There are many people out there who do vote, but they simply can't keep up. Any ideas on how to get every good, long debate voted?

6) I've been exposed to a lot of filth on this site, and I'm only 13. While I can handle it, would you think about implementing age restrictions for new users (more than there already is?)

7) Debate.org has gone quite a while without a major update. If elected, would you try to establish better relations with Juggle?

8) Last, people are setting up their own guidelines and rules in debates. While I agree with most of them, some people are going a bit overboard. If possible, would you implement a guidelines/rules system (like EDEB8 has forfeiture, automatic loss?)
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 4:19:03 PM
At 12/5/2014 12:04:48 PM, ElCorazonAma wrote:
oh my!!! sh1t just became real... Cermank is a badass...

Fix'd
ElCorazonAma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 4:20:27 PM
At 12/5/2014 4:19:03 PM, RevNge wrote:

Fix'd

-_- thats not what I put...

Cermank is a sweet girl!
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 4:21:20 PM
At 12/5/2014 4:20:27 PM, ElCorazonAma wrote:

Fix'd

Cermank is a god.

Fix'd
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 4:22:20 PM
At 12/5/2014 3:15:31 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:
Cermank... wow. That's a great VP. I just have a few questions...

1) You've said that you would be a spokesperson for every member. Would this mean bans would significantly decrease due to you seeing two sides of a story?

Banning is fundamentally a moderator action; the president is not a moderator. However, what the president does do, assuming they have a good relationship with the mods, is discuss the matter with them. In the 6 months I've been president, I don't think bans have significantly changed. With the recent discussions of a "trial system", that might change.

2) DDO is a great site, and I think everyone wants to keep it that way. When new members barge onto the site acting egotistic, boastful, and making a bad impression, would you compensate warning them?

Well, again, the mods generally handle banning. I have, on occasion, reached out to folks who are getting close to moderator intervention, in hopes I can get them to change their behavior before the mods step in. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

3) The religious forum, the polls, and the opinions seem clustered. Mikal and Imabench vowed to clean them out (some way,) do you have a mind to do the same?

Yes. I have already started some work on the religion section--but my next administration (if I'm lucky enough that y'all elect me) I already know what I want to do in terms of expanding on that.

4) Forfeiture and spam debates are becoming quite common. While it would be tough to get forfeiture down, do you have any opinions on spam debates?

True spam debates should be reported and deleted.

5) On the topic of debates, I've noticed quite a few have gone unvoted. There are many people out there who do vote, but they simply can't keep up. Any ideas on how to get every good, long debate voted?

Well, as part of my administration, anyone who has an unvoted debate that's got less than 48 hours left can PM me, and I have promised that they will get a vote. I've kept that promise. When I post my platform, the details will be more obvious, but I have an expansion of that program, too.

6) I've been exposed to a lot of filth on this site, and I'm only 13. While I can handle it, would you think about implementing age restrictions for new users (more than there already is?)

I'm not a big fan of age restrictions generally. That said, I think I'd need to know more about this "filth". Pornography shouldn't be on DDO--it should be reported.

7) Debate.org has gone quite a while without a major update. If elected, would you try to establish better relations with Juggle?

I have good relations with Juggle. That said, updates are 100% at their initiation. All I can do is suggest that changes are needed, and what the changes should be from the community's perspective.

8) Last, people are setting up their own guidelines and rules in debates. While I agree with most of them, some people are going a bit overboard. If possible, would you implement a guidelines/rules system (like EDEB8 has forfeiture, automatic loss?)

This one is rather tough. As a voter myself, I generally give deference to the rules that debaters set up. That said, I don't follow those rules slavishly--if I think a rule is abusive, or otherwise inappropriate, I will explain why I think so, and will vote accordingly.

Any changes that would change "automatic" outcomes would be site updates. Any changes to the general culture are things that we can, as a community, discuss. I'm not sure I see the problem as things stand, but that I don't see it yet doesn't mean it's not there.
ElCorazonAma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 4:39:54 PM
At 12/5/2014 4:21:20 PM, RevNge wrote:
At 12/5/2014 4:20:27 PM, ElCorazonAma wrote:

Fix'd

Cermank is a god.

Fix'd

Find someone else to troll please kiddo :P
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 6:22:56 PM
Bladerunner for president!
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 6:26:36 PM
Cermank is, I believe, an excellent choice. She is the type of member who everyone can find likeable. She is thoughtful, conscientious, and intelligent, and I believe that she'll be an assert to the community. Plus, she has great taste in men--that shows good judgment, IMO ;)

Thett I know will also bring is knowledge of the site and his passion for debate to bear as well, and I have great respect for him as a person and a user.

I think this is a great team.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 6:42:37 PM
At 12/5/2014 6:26:36 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Cermank is, I believe, an excellent choice. She is the type of member who everyone can find likeable. She is thoughtful, conscientious, and intelligent, and I believe that she'll be an assert to the community.

Thank you! This means a lot, especially coming from you.

Plus, she has great taste in men--that shows good judgment, IMO ;)

aww, you flatter me too much. i might try to bribe you with my stash of hot men, js.

Thett I know will also bring is knowledge of the site and his passion for debate to bear as well, and I have great respect for him as a person and a user.

+1
I think this is a great team.
kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 6:43:57 PM
Howdy folks!

The election is looming, so I feel like it's time to start making some announcements regarding my candidacy.

First, let me say thanks to bsh1 again. He advised me, unfortunately, that he doesn't want to be VP again. bsh1 has been a fantastic VP, and I appreciate all of his help. I wish him the best of luck on his semi-hiatus! I'm sure I will continue to rely on him for help and advice, and that the help and advice he gives me will be as awesome as it always has. But of course, an adminstration needs a VP. So I'm hereby announcing my running-mate:

Cermank has said she's willing to by my Vice President! Everybody knows Cermank; she's is a fantastic member who has been on this site longer than I have. I'm grateful that she chose to accept my offer, and I'm confident she'll be a great VP.

But wait, there's more!

Last election, I did not have a Chief of Staff. But this time around, I decided that I wanted one to help me with ensure that I can get done what I want to get done with the membership. To that end, I asked thett3 to be my Chief of Staff. And he agreed! Just as I'm confident that Cermank is going to be a great VP, I'm confident that thett's going to be a great CoS.

We will post a detailed outline of our platform and objectives soon (including some other folks who have already signed on for specific roles), but feel free to ask us any questions you want here, too.

Thanks DDO!

I've been in communication with Mikal about some ideas to modify his platform (he hasn't yet implemented them, but may). If you like, in the interest of fairness, I can send you the same ideas in pm that I sent him.

I loved your presidentcy last time!
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 6:50:02 PM
At 12/5/2014 6:42:37 PM, Cermank wrote:
At 12/5/2014 6:26:36 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Cermank is, I believe, an excellent choice. She is the type of member who everyone can find likeable. She is thoughtful, conscientious, and intelligent, and I believe that she'll be an assert to the community.

Thank you! This means a lot, especially coming from you.

Sure thing :)

Plus, she has great taste in men--that shows good judgment, IMO ;)

aww, you flatter me too much. i might try to bribe you with my stash of hot men, js.

I am totally bribable.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 6:58:37 PM
Wow...

Actually... I've never heard of a DDO Party that's really huge, but if there were to be a government on DDO, I would want most of the running members now to be on it.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 7:53:14 PM
So... questions for Bladerunner, and (Cermank, and Thett):

(I would suggest collaborating together before answering these, btw.)

What, in your view, are the most important qualities in a president? How will you use or develop them to best serve DDO?

What, in your view, are the most substantial challenges facing the site now?

What role do you see your VP, Cermank, playing in your administration?

What role do you see Thett, your COS, playing in your administration?

How will you work to forge a productive working relationship with Juggle to continue to improve the site?

If elected president, how will you collaborate with Airmax to establish a meaningful and effective working relationship between the president and moderation?

How, if elected, would you continue/improve upon previous presidential initiatives to improve the religion section and ensure that voting continues?

As president, what have been your biggest success?

As president, what have been your most substantial failures?

What have you learned from your experience as president?
Tsar of DDO
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 8:38:41 PM
At 12/5/2014 7:53:14 PM, YYW wrote:

What, in your view, are the most important qualities in a president? How will you use or develop them to best serve DDO?

I'll answer this one, because I asked Blade the same question. Basically, the VP is a more public role where as the COS is more likely to work behind the scenes. As Blade put it, if he needs someone to do something public he'll ask the VP. If it's something like engaging a user to help get a project started, it's the COS.

How will you work to forge a productive working relationship with Juggle to continue to improve the site?

If elected president, how will you collaborate with Airmax to establish a meaningful and effective working relationship between the president and moderation?

How, if elected, would you continue/improve upon previous presidential initiatives to improve the religion section and ensure that voting continues?

DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 8:48:49 PM
Questions:

(1) How has your administration made the site better today than it was a year ago?

(2) If not elected, will you stop your policy of voting every unvoted debate? Do you see this as a presidential initiative or more of a personal promise? If mikal is elected, will you work with me as his COS to head up a new voting initiative on the site? Would you be interested in being the head of the voting initiative committee?

(3) Why shouldn't the jury system be a campaign issue, insofar as it demonstrates which candidate will bring more new ideas and reform to the site? If you had this idea before, why no discussion of it until now? I started a thread about a jury system at some point during your administration and I don't recall you commenting in it.

(4) Is it really factually accurate to say a jury system needs Juggle's approval? The past system only had mod approval from innomen and airmax seems to have indicated that his approval of the vehicle as a good way to enforce site policy would be sufficient.

(5) What was the last time you personally spoke to a Juggle rep? Are they even involved in the site anymore? What efforts have you taken to get them to engage more? Do you think TUF was better at talking to Juggle than your administration? He got them to roll out the voting system update seemingly within weeks of starting the discussion with them. What did TUF do differently (out of complete curiosity)?

(6) Your thoughts on imabench as a returning member? (not as a VP choice)
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 9:03:59 PM
At 12/5/2014 6:43:57 PM, kbub wrote:
I've been in communication with Mikal about some ideas to modify his platform (he hasn't yet implemented them, but may). If you like, in the interest of fairness, I can send you the same ideas in pm that I sent him.

I'd be happy to talk to you about them!

And that's irrespective of the campaign--anybody should feel free to reach out to me ANY time with ideas. I want ideas! I've got plenty of my own, but what can I say: I'm greedy. I want all the ideas.

I loved your presidentcy last time!

Thanks!
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 9:05:54 PM

I'm not ignoring you; I'm taking your advice. So my skipping your questions is on purpose. Just wanted to say that, and obviously you'll get a real one.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 9:21:06 PM
At 12/5/2014 9:05:54 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

I'm not ignoring you; I'm taking your advice. So my skipping your questions is on purpose. Just wanted to say that, and obviously you'll get a real one.

No worries, man
Tsar of DDO
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 10:13:15 PM
At 12/5/2014 8:48:49 PM, bluesteel wrote:
Questions:

(1) How has your administration made the site better today than it was a year ago?

Well, I think in lots of ways. Some of the biggest:

We have fewer unvoted debates than has ever been the case.
I've increased moderation transparency, as well as presidential transparency with my weekly updates (though I'm modifying that if I'm lucky enough to be re-elected this time--the information will still go out, but in a somewhat different manner).

(2) If not elected, will you stop your policy of voting every unvoted debate? Do you see this as a presidential initiative or more of a personal promise? If mikal is elected, will you work with me as his COS to head up a new voting initiative on the site? Would you be interested in being the head of the voting initiative committee?

I was asked something similar last election when I was running in the first place. I will still vote a lot, but there are days when, honestly, I don't feel like voting. When I've been running 24 hours, or I'm tired or busy. As president, I've been elected. With great power, as they say, comes great responsibility--if I take on an obligation, I'm going to fulfill it. So, without that obligation, I'll still vote a lot. I just won't be obliged to do so.

As to whether I'd be interested in being part of you guys's administration/on the voting committee: Maybe. Probably, but not certainly. Because, again, I don't like to BS the things I say I'll do. Right now, I'm still planning on/hoping to be president after the election, after all...

(3) Why shouldn't the jury system be a campaign issue, insofar as it demonstrates which candidate will bring more new ideas and reform to the site? If you had this idea before, why no discussion of it until now? I started a thread about a jury system at some point during your administration and I don't recall you commenting in it.

I don't really recall the thread; was it way early in the term? If I didn't comment on it, it's probably because I didn't want to seem like I was taking an official stance on the matter, something I have to be careful with when the discussion is about site stuff. Trials have been around as an idea for a long time in DDO years. But they've never really gotten traction, for several reasons. The main reason I don't like it as a campaign issue is that it's not something EITHER administration can promise. Implementing something like that requires approval from moderation--and neither of us speaks for airmax.

Moreover, the president is supposed to represent what the membership wants. So it would be one thing if one campaign was fundamentally opposed to the idea completely--because there are some things that a president might not be able to support in good conscience. But if it's not one of those things, then the fact that the membership wants it should mean that anyone who's elected should advocate for it.

(4) Is it really factually accurate to say a jury system needs Juggle's approval? The past system only had mod approval from innomen and airmax seems to have indicated that his approval of the vehicle as a good way to enforce site policy would be sufficient.

Technically, yes: Everything on this site requires their approval, it's their site. If Juggle disapproves of a proposal, it will be kiboshed. I'm not sure I've ever made that argument, though, because it's trivially true that in general the mods have tacit approval for handling moderation as they see fit. I'm aware that you and airmax have been discussing this, and he and I are working on a proposal that he's comfortable with (and that I am, as well).

(5) What was the last time you personally spoke to a Juggle rep? Are they even involved in the site anymore? What efforts have you taken to get them to engage more? Do you think TUF was better at talking to Juggle than your administration? He got them to roll out the voting system update seemingly within weeks of starting the discussion with them. What did TUF do differently (out of complete curiosity)?

He also got them to roll out the change to gender options, don't forget (why's everyone forget that one? I remember that one quicker than the voting one...)

But to answer your question: I don't think it's appropriate to give specifics like dates on my interactions with Juggle. The lines of communication are open, and there are no outstanding issues that I'm waiting on their answer for. That said, their involvement in the site, and willingness to invest in it, has waxed and waned. There was little investment during innomen's administration, then they increased it with airmax's, then it waned again. TUF got the two things he pushed for...but even then they were warning (and airmax told us all) that they were not allocating resources to the site. It's a time issue. TUF didn't do anything different--he just had better timing. At present Juggle has allocated their resources to their other projects to the extent that, while they know several things that members would like to see (mundane things in terms of work involved in some cases, like upping the character limit on RFDs or changing how front page debates are chosen), there simply aren't the resources to do it. The site is in a holding pattern.

I like and respect bench. I just hope he doesn't tell me to go do something anatomically impossible to myself again.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 10:39:30 PM
Howdy folks!

But wait, there's more!

Thanks DDO!

What do you plan to do about the gremlins that hide under airplane wings and cause plane crashes?
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 10:40:03 PM
At 12/5/2014 10:13:15 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 12/5/2014 8:48:49 PM, bluesteel wrote:
Questions:

Well, I think in lots of ways. Some of the biggest:

We have fewer unvoted debates than has ever been the case.
I've increased moderation transparency, as well as presidential transparency with my weekly updates (though I'm modifying that if I'm lucky enough to be re-elected this time--the information will still go out, but in a somewhat different manner).

I was asked something similar last election when I was running in the first place. I will still vote a lot, but there are days when, honestly, I don't feel like voting. When I've been running 24 hours, or I'm tired or busy. As president, I've been elected. With great power, as they say, comes great responsibility--if I take on an obligation, I'm going to fulfill it. So, without that obligation, I'll still vote a lot. I just won't be obliged to do so.

As to whether I'd be interested in being part of you guys's administration/on the voting committee: Maybe. Probably, but not certainly. Because, again, I don't like to BS the things I say I'll do. Right now, I'm still planning on/hoping to be president after the election, after all...

I don't really recall the thread; was it way early in the term? If I didn't comment on it, it's probably because I didn't want to seem like I was taking an official stance on the matter, something I have to be careful with when the discussion is about site stuff. Trials have been around as an idea for a long time in DDO years. But they've never really gotten traction, for several reasons. The main reason I don't like it as a campaign issue is that it's not something EITHER administration can promise. Implementing something like that requires approval from moderation--and neither of us speaks for airmax.

Moreover, the president is supposed to represent what the membership wants. So it would be one thing if one campaign was fundamentally opposed to the idea completely--because there are some things that a president might not be able to support in good conscience. But if it's not one of those things, then the fact that the membership wants it should mean that anyone who's elected should advocate for it.

Technically, yes: Everything on this site requires their approval, it's their site. If Juggle disapproves of a proposal, it will be kiboshed. I'm not sure I've ever made that argument, though, because it's trivially true that in general the mods have tacit approval for handling moderation as they see fit. I'm aware that you and airmax have been discussing this, and he and I are working on a proposal that he's comfortable with (and that I am, as well).

He also got them to roll out the change to gender options, don't forget (why's everyone forget that one? I remember that one quicker than the voting one...)

But to answer your question: I don't think it's appropriate to give specifics like dates on my interactions with Juggle. The lines of communication are open, and there are no outstanding issues that I'm waiting on their answer for. That said, their involvement in the site, and willingness to invest in it, has waxed and waned. There was little investment during innomen's administration, then they increased it with airmax's, then it waned again. TUF got the two things he pushed for...but even then they were warning (and airmax told us all) that they were not allocating resources to the site. It's a time issue. TUF didn't do anything different--he just had better timing. At present Juggle has allocated their resources to their other projects to the extent that, while they know several things that members would like to see (mundane things in terms of work involved in some cases, like upping the character limit on RFDs or changing how front page debates are chosen), there simply aren't the resources to do it. The site is in a holding pattern.

I like and respect bench. I just hope he doesn't tell me to go do something anatomically impossible to myself again.

I guess my concerns with your administration as a represented party during this past term and as a potential represented party (if you win) in the coming term are:

(1) A lot of your points are about having a lack of motivation. I'd like to see more community engagement with the voter apathy issue, not merely a personal promise by one person to vote all debates. I think your efforts have been ridiculously admirable and I've extremely appreciate the votes you've done on my debates. But the sense of apathy to spearheading broader involvement on that issue seems to exist for you whether or not you are elected. The fact you kind of sort of maybe, but might not, want to be involved in a voting initiative seems to say to me that it's not a priority issue for you, even if you are elected. I guess I can expect a continuation of the same policy from the blade administration: a promise of at least one vote on each debate, but no broader initiative to get more votes than that on quality debates. I guess as a potential person you would be representing if you were elected, I'm concerned that you seem tired and apathetic about doing more than was already done last term on the issue of voting (or potentially on any other issue).

(2) My second concern is that I don't see much desire to push new reforms on Juggle. Pretty much every past president has promised to at least take the community's new proposals to Juggle. It sounds like lines of communication are "open," but I know TUF *hounded* them on reforms. He even coded fixes for the ELO system, which he tried to get them to implement. I know he put a lot into it and talked to them often., which is why I think they caved on his later relatively straightforward coding requests. I guess I'm concerned with the lack of an agenda of what are the next round of reforms that need priority. I feel like you've done a great job on weekly updates and making sure each debate gets a vote, but I'm not seeing much hope for more groundbreaking changes to the site.

While I can't make any promises about what mikal can do, at least he has a refreshing optimism about bringing some changes to the site. I feel like -- as your current constituent -- you've been somewhat "absent" from past discussions about site issues. You're a great guy and a go
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 10:42:21 PM
At 12/5/2014 10:39:30 PM, Bennett91 wrote:

What do you plan to do about the gremlins that hide under airplane wings and cause plane crashes?

Well, I put a bell on my motorcycle, which as I understand it comes from aviation tradition...