Total Posts:73|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

To those who oppose Imabench being VP...

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 2:30:13 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Why do you think he is unfit for holding the position?
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Garbanza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 2:37:34 PM
At 12/5/2014 2:30:13 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Mikal and imabench set up a thread for questions, and they've ignored all four questions I've asked and also questions from other people.

If the can't even manage a question thread they set up themselves, how can they be effective presidents?

But actually, I prefer imabench to mikal.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 3:19:18 PM
Because he is a bench, and benches are not good at holding anything; they just slide off or fall between the cracks.
My work here is, finally, done.
mortsdor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 3:34:56 PM
I think Imabench is a good VP.

I'm also encouraged by Bluesteel being involved.

I don't know mikal.

I've been rather Oppositional to Mikal's seeming willingness to ban Wrich, since from what I've seen wrich isn't all that bad...

However, I'd still favor their election I think...

- - -

Bladerunner seems like a pretty stale president.

shaking things up would be good, and I'm fairly confident that BS and Bench would be pretty beneficial influences on the DDO government so far as it goes.
mortsdor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 3:38:33 PM
At 12/5/2014 3:34:56 PM, mortsdor wrote:
I think Imabench is a good VP.

I mean, anyone who's seen the weekly stupid episodes and doesn't think this should probably be banned on principle.
fazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 3:55:44 PM
- - -

I would vote the other way precisely because of the stale government. Its not like we're conducting foreign policy here.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 3:58:44 PM

I think that he is qualified, but for the reason that Mikal selected him is why I oppose it. He selected him just so he'd stay. Granted that Imabench is a popular member how do we know that we wouldn't just disappear like Cody Franklin did during the TUF admin. This can simply just be a popularity ploy by them in order to get them elected and the one thing I hate elections turning into is a popularity contest in which Mikal/Imabench would win outright since they are, hands down, more popular than Bladerunner and Cenmark.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
mortsdor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 4:00:25 PM
At 12/5/2014 3:55:44 PM, fazz wrote:

I would vote the other way precisely because of the stale government. Its not like we're conducting foreign policy here.

However the role of the president is essentially to lobby the Mod/Juggle on behalf of the users...

a stale lobbyist doesn't seem like a particularly good one...

He's already talked to airmaxx a bunch, and doesn't seem like he's got anything else to say :/

Not that I've been privvy to their discussions... but I just think getting new blood in might help shake things up :o)
fazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 5:31:15 PM
At 12/5/2014 4:00:25 PM, mortsdor wrote:
At 12/5/2014 3:55:44 PM, fazz wrote:

However the role of the president is essentially to lobby the Mod/Juggle on behalf of the users...

a sta(b)le lobbyist does seem like a particularly good one...

fix'd
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 7:07:14 PM

I don't like the word "unfit" for a variety of reasons. Suffice it to say, I find Cermank to be a vastly better alternative.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 7:09:45 PM
At 12/5/2014 7:07:14 PM, bsh1 wrote:

I don't like the word "unfit" for a variety of reasons. Suffice it to say, I find Cermank to be a vastly better alternative.

For some reason, my mind read this in a very, very dirty connotation dear Brian. xD
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 7:11:40 PM
At 12/5/2014 7:09:45 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

For some reason, my mind read this in a very, very dirty connotation dear Brian. xD

Your mind needs a winter cleaning, Annie. Lol...Cermank is great, but I can safely say I will never like her in a dirty sense.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 7:40:54 PM

What makes Bench less preferable than others?

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 7:51:37 PM
At 12/5/2014 7:40:54 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

His proclivity to resort to condescension or antagonistic strategies when resolving conflict. The fact that he has barely been on the site in the last 6 months also, in my mind, casts doubt on his investment in the site and on his ability to understand current site dynamics.

Cermank is one of the most diplomatic members I know, is a regular and reliable user of the website, and is not going to stir up needless controversy that could undermine the credible of the office she would occupy.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 7:53:03 PM
At 12/5/2014 7:51:37 PM, bsh1 wrote:

His proclivity to resort to condescension or antagonistic strategies when resolving conflict. The fact that he has barely been on the site in the last 6 months also, in my mind, casts doubt on his investment in the site and on his ability to understand current site dynamics.

Cermank is one of the most diplomatic members I know, is a regular and reliable user of the website, and is not going to stir up needless controversy that could undermine the credible of the office she would occupy.

So you think that Bench can't control himself?

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 7:56:10 PM

I know how this site works behind the scenes more than anybody else dude, I've been here way longer than even Mikal has been here, and I'm fully aware of how everything works

It's. Vice. President.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 7:57:28 PM
At 12/5/2014 7:53:03 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

I think that Bench is too antagonistic, and I don't see any evidence that the way he intends to deal with conflicts has changed.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 7:59:05 PM
At 12/5/2014 7:56:10 PM, imabench wrote:

I know how this site works behind the scenes more than anybody else dude, I've been here way longer than even Mikal has been here, and I'm fully aware of how everything works

Needs change. The community changes. I would prefer someone who has been here consistently 6 months to someone who has an on-again-off-again relationship to the site.

It's. Vice. President.

That doesn't mean that we aren't electing you to represent the site as well.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 7:59:20 PM

In a lot of ways, I'm sympathetic to Bsh1's concerns here. Dan has been back for just a few days now and he's already made a complete dick of himself on two separate occasions; one of which was to bsh1.

There are some real maturity issues with Dan that he's going to have to overcome and I'm not sure if he's capable of rising to the occasion, but I also don't see Dan playing a huge role in the decision making part of the administration.

I mean, that is not to say that he necessarily will have little or no influence (because obviously I can't know that), but on balance I think that the majority of what he does will be centered around promoting Mikal's and Bluesteel's decisions and communicating with the community vis a vis his show.

So, the implication here is that although bsh1 and Imabench will technically have had similar titles if Mikal is elected, I think the role that Dan will play in Mikal's administration will be vastly different than that which bsh1 played in Bladerunner's.
9spaceking
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 8:04:07 PM
yeah, Bench seems to be the kind of guy that would troll around instead of being the original serious intelligent guy worried about America's debt he was.
Equestrian election

This House would impose democracy

Reign of Terror is unjustified

Raise min. wage to $10.10
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 8:08:45 PM
At 12/5/2014 7:59:05 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Needs change. The community changes. I would prefer someone who has been here consistently 6 months to someone who has an on-again-off-again relationship to the site.

Feel free to list any changes the site has undergone since the last time I was here a month ago

It's. Vice. President.

But it also doesn't warrant holding me to some ridiculously high standard of conduct to be considered 'capable'.... This is a position that's was held by Freedo by one point, and the guy after him barely played any role in site affairs at all.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 8:10:54 PM
At 12/5/2014 8:08:45 PM, imabench wrote:

Feel free to list any changes the site has undergone since the last time I was here a month ago

The question shows you don't get what I am saying, Bench.

It's. Vice. President.

But it also doesn't warrant holding me to some ridiculously high standard of conduct to be considered 'capable'.... This is a position that's was held by Freedo by one point, and the guy after him barely played any role in site affairs at all.

Bench, I think that expectations around what a VP ought to do are no longer what they were when Freedo ran. I think that you would not make a good elected representative of the site. We're just going to have to agree to disagree.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 8:15:43 PM
At 12/5/2014 7:59:20 PM, YYW wrote:

In a lot of ways, I'm sympathetic to Bsh1's concerns here. Dan has been back for just a few days now and he's already made a complete dick of himself on two separate occasions; one of which was to bsh1.

What about the fact that Bench apologized to Bsh?

There are some real maturity issues with Dan that he's going to have to overcome and I'm not sure if he's capable of rising to the occasion, but I also don't see Dan playing a huge role in the decision making part of the administration.

What makes you think he can't rise to the occasion?

I mean, that is not to say that he necessarily will have little or no influence (because obviously I can't know that), but on balance I think that the majority of what he does will be centered around promoting Mikal's and Bluesteel's decisions and communicating with the community vis a vis his show.

So you think he has no ideas? That's total BS.

So, the implication here is that although bsh1 and Imabench will technically have had similar titles if Mikal is elected, I think the role that Dan will play in Mikal's administration will be vastly different than that which bsh1 played in Bladerunner's.

Even if that is true, which I don't believe is so (or at least not to the extent you speak of), why would that matter? You're electing a president. The president is the main guy, and the VP is there to help...

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 8:22:08 PM
At 12/5/2014 8:15:43 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 12/5/2014 7:59:20 PM, YYW wrote:

What about the fact that Bench apologized to Bsh?

Apologizing was definitely the right thing to do, but I think (and I'm pretty confident that others agree with me on this, because I've discussed it with them) that Dan wasn't sincere in that apology. The tone was patronizing, and I think in some ways the apology was another example of why Dan could be problematic as a VP.

What makes you think he can't rise to the occasion?

Because he's been seriously hostile to two people since he's been back, I have my doubts. I don't know that he necessarily can't, but I'm also cautious about believing that he can or will.

While in many ways, I like Dan and I consider him to be a friend of mine, his actions give me pause about voting for him.

So you think he has no ideas? That's total BS.

I didn't say that Dan has no ideas. I said that he will probably have not a lot of influence. Whether he has ideas or not doesn't mean he'll have influence.

Even if that is true, which I don't believe is so (or at least not to the extent you speak of), why would that matter? You're electing a president. The president is the main guy, and the VP is there to help...

Yes, exactly. I don't vote based on VP's, normally. Bsh1 was the exception, because I knew he would substantially enhance Blade's administration -and by all practical measures, he has been the best VP in site history.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 8:39:25 PM
At 12/5/2014 8:10:54 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 12/5/2014 8:08:45 PM, imabench wrote:

The question shows you don't get what I am saying, Bench.

Ive been acceptably active on the site over the past 6 months, yet you insist that in my absence something on here has changed to the point where im not fit to be VP, yet you still havent mentioned a single change that has happened.

It's. Vice. President.

Bench, I think that expectations around what a VP ought to do are no longer what they were when Freedo ran.

To you maybe, to the other 95% of the site they still recognize that the VP position is the equivalent of being the back-up QB in a situation where the starting QB never gets hurt...

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 8:41:01 PM
At 12/5/2014 8:39:25 PM, imabench wrote:

To you maybe, to the other 95% of the site they still recognize that the VP position is the equivalent of being the back-up QB in a situation where the starting QB never gets hurt...

As I said, we'll have to disagree. I was also speaking for me, personally, not for other members of the site.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 8:44:51 PM
At 12/5/2014 8:22:08 PM, YYW wrote:

Apologizing was definitely the right thing to do, but I think (and I'm pretty confident that others agree with me on this, because I've discussed it with them) that Dan wasn't sincere in that apology.

What in the hell else would I have had to do to make it seem sincere? I gave it its own forum in the main forum thread, what more do you want?

You're electing a president. The president is the main guy, and the VP is there to help...

Yes, exactly. I don't vote based on VP's, normally. Bsh1 was the exception, because I knew he would substantially enhance Blade's administration -and by all practical measures, he has been the best VP in site history.

Bsh1 isnt running for vice president anymore.

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 8:47:27 PM
At 12/5/2014 8:44:51 PM, imabench wrote:

Apologizing was definitely the right thing to do, but I think (and I'm pretty confident that others agree with me on this, because I've discussed it with them) that Dan wasn't sincere in that apology.

What in the hell else would I have had to do to make it seem sincere? I gave it its own forum in the main forum thread, what more do you want?

For you to at least sound like you meant it.

You're electing a president. The president is the main guy, and the VP is there to help...

Yes, exactly. I don't vote based on VP's, normally. Bsh1 ***********was************ the exception, because I knew he would substantially enhance Blade's administration -and by all practical measures, he has been the best VP in site history.

Bsh1 isnt running for vice president anymore.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 8:50:37 PM
At 12/5/2014 8:47:27 PM, YYW wrote:

i DID mean it

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 8:52:00 PM
At 12/5/2014 8:50:37 PM, imabench wrote:
At 12/5/2014 8:47:27 PM, YYW wrote:

i DID mean it

Really? You are actually sorry for what you said to bsh1?