Jump to topic:

Trial System Proposals !

mortsdor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 3:04:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The idea of having a trial system for behavior seems like it could be a pretty good way of spreading the burden of moderation... and making the moderation more transparent.

However it also has obvious issues that can be associated with it.
Mostly, from my perspective, that it might be overbearing and wind up trying or even convicting people based on bad reasons.. especially if the trial amounted to a popular vote.

I'd say that to hedge against this... we should propose different systems and sort out which seems the strongest.

And, in order to have it mean something I'd suggest that it be Airmax who decides what we go with... Since the judge's decisions will only Mean anything if Moderation buys into the system as well... And Airmax seems like a pretty decent guy at this anywho...
mortsdor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 3:08:30 PM
So... MY proposal:

There should be 6 judges who are voted in
These judges will be open to taking complaints, and considering the Detailed complaints of Accusers.
(people should only go to a judge with a Detailed and Evidenced complaint... The judge will not Make your case for you, but will consider what evidence you provide)

If one judge you approach thinks the complaint has potential merit, they bring it before the others.
(If any judge is particularly close to an aggrieved/accused party, they should recuse themselves and ask Airmaxx to find a temporary replacement for the case.)

The judges consider the complaint/evidence of the aggrieved and vote as to whether the aggrieved has provided evidence that a violation occurred that is worthy of being addressed in a trial.
If the judges Unanimously agree that the evidence/case presented by the Accuser demands some kind of explanation/response then the trial ensues.

Trial is a thread in which the accuser's case is posted, the Judges weigh in on what they think is relevant and needs addressing. Then the defendant gets to post his defense.

The judges again weigh in... Then the accuser responds Once more, and then the defendant has the chance to do so again.

Then the judges vote, and only upon Unanimous decision can a guilty verdict be levied.

If they find someone guilty there should be a few different options for punishments...
I'd say that 4/6 of the judges would have to come to agreement as to the punishment levied.
I'd say punishments should be restricted to bannings ('restraining orders' are silly IMO)
a) Ban of a Week
b) Ban of a Month
c) Ban of a Month & Lobby Airmax for a Permanent Ban

- - -

To start it all off, if such a system were to be approved, I'd suggest
We create a thread where people propose and vote on potential judges..

Proposed Qualifications
to be a Voter or to be a Judge one must Both:
1. have been a member for a year or more
2. have at least 2,000 Posts... without being a spammer (subject to Airmaxx's discretion)..

This is not so much to discount new people... but to ensure that it's people who Kind of care about the site a little bit... and are well enough acquainted with it.

- - -

As to how the voting takes place, I'd suggest qualified voters should be able to pick 6 judges they'd like to see... Filling out a ballot with 6 slots.

Those members found to be Most submitted, Pending the approval of Airmax, are the judges.. I'd say Airmax should have explicit veto power.. since his respecting their decisions is the only way they're going to have any say anyhow.
mortsdor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 3:14:30 PM
At 12/5/2014 3:08:30 PM, mortsdor wrote:
Trial is a thread in which the accuser's case is posted, the Judges weigh in on what they think is relevant and needs addressing. Then the defendant gets to post his defense.

The judges again weigh in... Then the accuser responds Once more, and then the defendant has the chance to do so again.

Perhaps After this point everyone on the site should be able to weigh in at will on the issue...

Then the judges vote, and only upon Unanimous decision can a guilty verdict be levied.
mortsdor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 1:38:18 AM
BUMP!

I think any candidates who suggest that they would support a Trial system should make their proposals Public, and do so in a thread who's purpose is to compare/contrast relative merits of proposed systems.

(Hint: I think HERE would be a decent place for them ;) )