Total Posts:123|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Jan. 2015 bladerunner/Cermank/Thett Platform

bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 11:46:07 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
January 2015 bladerunner060 campaign platform

Howdy folks!

So it's platform time.

First and foremost, some general comments on the presidency both in general, and what my intentions for it are this term if y'all see fit to elect me.

The DDO President is an advocacy position. A president can advocate when changes need to be made, and what those changes should be. But fundamentally, any platform that promises site updates cannot be certain it will deliver on that promise. I won't promise things I can't be sure to deliver; in some cases, I can speak with a degree of confidence as to their implementation, but this is only in cases where, thanks to my relationship with Juggle and airmax, I can have that confidence. I think it's important to know what the competing administrations have as their vision of the site. What kinds of things they intend on advocating for. I really do. But the cart should not go before the horse.

So my platform's biggest focus is on the things I can do, the things I can promise. Without further ado:

*************************

Just a reminder, since I posted my running mates in a separate post:

I'm incredibly grateful that Cermank is my Vice President, and that thett3 is my Chief of Staff.

*************************

On Transparency:

One of my biggest promises last election was to ensure that there was as much transparency as possible in my administration. I achieved that, and I promise it again. That said, things will be somewhat different this time around. My update schedule is going to be more fluid. I'm not promising weekly updates, though I will promise that there will definitely be a public post, general update post from me at least once a month (though it will be almost certainly more often). But every single initiative will have the person who's in charge of it listed. They will have a public update schedule. It will make clear exactly what's going on with each project at milestone points. It's just a fact that not every initiative is going to pan out as it's intended, but it's going to be very clear what work's being done. Instead of one single weekly mass-blast, each project will be its own thing.

***********************

Voting:

My promise from last campaign stands, though it's modified because of the sticky change that I'm about to explain--no matter what, those debates will get a vote. But that's not where it ends. I promise to continue my voting program, but more importantly I promise to improve it. Under my administration, fewer debates than ever before went unvoted. But it had been my intention to get a true voting initiative in place. It was my "backup plan" that ANY unvoted debate that was PMd to me within 48 hours of its ending received a vote. I kept my campaign promise, but I want to do more. I want to make it easier for folks to know how to get votes on their debate, so that (hopefully) no debates slip through the cracks.

As I said in one of my regular updates, I've already gotten approval to rearrange the stickies. Most important in that, at least in terms of this specific plank of the platform, is to change the "Post Unvoted Debates Here" thread. There will be two threads: one is for any interesting debate that a user wants to post. The other thread will be the offical "No debates unvoted" thread. No more PMs to get debates voted; this thread will be for debates that have no votes, and 24-72 hours left. Any debate posted there in that window will be guaranteed a vote, in much the same way as the "PM me" system.

But it's not just that. I want a successful voting group. During my administration, I worked towards getting that. But I want to get people excited about voting, and just setting up a group didn't do that. So to accomplish that goal of excitement, I'm going to make the "Vote Squad" a public thing--everyone who wants to be on it will be publicly listed in the sticky. From a month-to-month basis, squad members who have voted the most, or had particularly great votes, will be highlighted, and given public recognition for their efforts. And on top of that ongoing thing, I'm going to run official competitions for votes.

Should I be re-elected, the proverbial hammer on those changes is ready to drop (and it's part of the overall effort to update/clean-up the stickies that airmax and I have been working on...some of which may even happen before the election). The only reason that hasn't been done yet is that I realized this particular plan was kind of presumptuous to implement so close to the election. I hope I have the community's support, but I shouldn't be arrogant enough to assume it.

**************************

In keeping with my plans of being more specific with each project as its announced, with public accountability and milestones for them, here are the folks who already have specific jobs in my administration. I want everyone who wants to be a part of my administration to be a part of my administration--please feel free to PM me at any time with ideas or projects! That said, one of the many things I learned during this last administration was the need for structure.

Forum programs:

I believe my religion forum ambassador program was a net benefit. That said, it's become obvious that larger measures are indicated, and that, while the general effort was good, the goals of forum improvements need to be more explicit. We have a forum-which-shall-not-be-named that should be better than it is, and we have other forums that are dead on the vine. These have been ongoing problems for much longer than my administration. To work on those things, I've asked Mirza to be my Secretary of Forum Affairs. He will have autonomy and will be able to focus on the specific needs of each forum section; I've already spoken to airmax about this, and he's on board with it. Each forum improvement effort will be posted as it happens.

Member Services:

lannan13 has agreed help my administration. lannan's a good guy, who's been a productive member for a long time. He helped during the last administration, particularly with the overwhelming number of votes he cast. But he's willing to kick it up a notch, and take the formal position of Secretary of Member Services. He'll oversee things like the formation of the Voting Squad, Official Tournaments, the Adopt-a-Noob Debate program, and help with other outreach efforts. He'll undoubtedly need help with these things, and he and I will make announcements for things such as a specific tournament director as the need arises.

****************************

Site updates:

I am in a position to advocate for site updates the moment there are resources to implement them. I've already established a relationship with Juggle.

****************************

The trial system:

I've said before that I don't like the idea of the trial system being a campaign issue, because EITHER campaign should be willing to implement whatever the best system is, that most incorporates the wishes of the community. I believe I'm in the best position to get such a system implemented because of my relationship with airmax. That said, because it's become such a topic of interest, I think it's time we have that conversation. Since both campaigns agree on the principle, I'll be making an "official" thread to begin discussion of it today. In the spirit of bipartisanship and what's best for the site, I'd like to ask the other campaign to participate in that. I'm still hammering out some details with airmax, but what I want is for us, as a community, to hammer down what we want in terms of definitions and principles.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 11:46:26 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
****************************

So these are the promises I can make and the planks I want to make up my platform. I think that my administration brings a lot to the table:

I've shown that I can do what I set out to do, and that I plan for contingencies (my voting initiative); I've shown that I can work with airmax (my moderation transparency initiative, as well as my work even before I was president on the Conduct policy).

I have the time and dedication, and I feel I've demonstrated that. I've been a regular and contributing member for 2 years, and my running-mates are some of the most respected members on this site, members who have also been here for years (longer than me!) and contributed a lot.

The three of us are happy to answer any questions you might have!
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Mikal
Posts: 11,270
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 11:49:49 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/6/2014 11:46:07 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:

Don't want to double post, but I think its best to hold down all the questions to one thread. I posted this in another but I would prefer if we kept it in here :). Anyway heres my list of questions for you buddy

Happy bday by the way. Sorry we did not get to do this last night on hangouts (rina wen to the hospital)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm asking this because Eddie is a good friend of mine. I and Bench have faced hard criticisms, and we are confuting to work together to show that we can do this job. But, this is a presidential candidacy of ideas and execution of them to serve DDO, not a personal one even though some of our ideas are similar.

The president's power is limited and relies on Juggle working with them. Each president before Eddie has effected changes to the site. TUF managed to get a gender option changed, for example.

So, now I have some questions to Blade and campaign, and they may be harder than usual. But know that these are coming from a position of healthy competition to serve the community here.

This is the link to your last campaign platform, and the promises that you presented

http://www.debate.org......

(1) As a President what were your team's biggest accomplishments in the last term (other than increasing voting efforts)?

(2) Do you feel more or less effective than previous presidents before you as most of their changes were some major site changes? Why?

(3) When you wanted to push tournaments in your last term, how many tournaments were effectively ran and why did the AAN tourney fall out?

(4) You promised weekly updates, but the last one that happened was a month ago.

A quote from you previous campaign

"That there will be weekly updates"

Why did they stop coming?

(6) You stated you wanted to make moderation more transparent, how has that been done thus far when most people think it has gotten worse?

(7) You were also focused on the AAN program and not just the tourney. How did that play out?

(8) A quote from your last platform

"That no debate will go unvoted"

Do you feel you accomplished that?

(9) We have a lot of the same goals, expectations, and ideals for the site. Sum up your presidency in less than 200 words and why people should vote for you, when they consider the aforementioned questions
Mikal
Posts: 11,270
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 12:02:31 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Also I guess the one I have received most via pm I need to summarize as well

I have received a few questions regarding what you have accomplished. Some thought you did much of nothing, and others thought that the stuff you accomplished has not been very impressive. Basically you delivered on two very non-ambitious goals.

I think a huge difference I can bring to the table is I'm willing to listen to anyone and come up with new ideas all the time; the ideas don't stop once the campaign ends. Also do you think you have the passion to do more than you have already done, which some consider minor improvements. The question for passion ties into some of the previous ones I asked above, such as the weekly updates falling apart, etc. If you still have the passion to continue why stop posting for a month.

I think everyone can definitely agree that you are a nice guy and you seem impartial, but people think you are similar another airmax which is in a way true( you could even have mod candidacy soon) : This makes you someone who is content not to make a fuss or to shake things up when they need to be. I think and hope this next year will be more interesting under me if i'm elected. You know in general as a president and a potential mod candidate, there are certain things that stays between you, juggle, and the mods. You say you delivered on more transparency, but some people don't see it. I just want to know in a summary why should people believe you still have the heart and passion to do the job, when some of the promises you promised were dropped maybe because of discouragement.

__________________________________________________________________________________

I had to summarize this to the best of my ability. I told people I would ask questions that they were scared to ask or wanted answers for, I tried to come them all into one question :)

I will also forward anymore that I receive in pms , if they are viable and not trollish
mortsdor
Posts: 1,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 12:12:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/6/2014 11:46:07 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
January 2015 bladerunner060 campaign platform

Howdy folks!

8)
Forum programs:

I believe my religion forum ambassador program was a net benefit. That said, it's become obvious that larger measures are indicated, and that, while the general effort was good, the goals of forum improvements need to be more explicit.

We have a forum-which-shall-not-be-named that should be better than it is,
It's really a matter of Participation I think
There's always been unreasonable people... See Godsands and the Tumbleweed guy..

If you leave it to the jackals, things fall apart.
I don't think talking to jackals does much, though sometimes Beating them down might work ;)

and we have other forums that are dead on the vine.
nod's head...
(not to mention two new very visible areas of the site that blast the front page with nonsense)

Mirza
thumbs up :)
He will have autonomy and will be able to focus on the specific needs of each forum section; I've already spoken to airmax about this, and he's on board with it. Each forum improvement effort will be posted as it happens.

What specifically will his Abilities be?

What specifically is airmax on board with? I presume he's got some special role/abilities...
Or else it wouldn't be saying much to say Airmax is on board with it..
why wouldn't he be on board with it?

Member Services:

lannan13
will take the formal position of Secretary of Member Services. He'll oversee things like the formation of the Voting Squad, Official Tournaments, the Adopt-a-Noob Debate program, and help with other outreach efforts.
Sounds good.

He'll undoubtedly need help with these things, and he and I will make announcements for things such as a specific tournament director as the need arises.

The trial system:

I'll be making an "official" thread to begin discussion of it today.
Good to make things "official".

It's quite an advantage over Mikal's campaign... lol

In the spirit of bipartisanship and what's best for the site, I'd like to ask the other campaign to participate in that. I'm still hammering out some details with airmax, but what I want is for us, as a community, to hammer down what we want in terms of definitions and principles.

Agreed that it can be important and that it should be discussed openly
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 12:23:01 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/6/2014 11:49:49 AM, Mikal wrote:
At 12/6/2014 11:46:07 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:



Don't want to double post, but I think its best to hold down all the questions to one thread. I posted this in another but I would prefer if we kept it in here :). Anyway heres my list of questions for you buddy

Happy bday by the way. Sorry we did not get to do this last night on hangouts (rina wen to the hospital)

I hope she's okay?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(1) As a President what were your team's biggest accomplishments in the last term (other than increasing voting efforts)?

I think my transparency initiative was important. I was more open about the administration and about moderation than any previous president. The latter was in large part thanks to my relationship with airmax, because he's rightly cautious about member privacy issues.

(2) Do you feel more or less effective than previous presidents before you as most of their changes were some major site changes? Why?

It's difficult to judge effectiveness when the circumstances you're working in are different than those you're comparing against. Other administrations had Juggle resources allocated to the site.

I think my presidency has been very effective, given the conditions it has worked under (in terms of site updates, the lack of resources). An important aspect of the job is doing what you can with what you've got. In that regard, I think I've been very successful.

(3) When you wanted to push tournaments in your last term, how many tournaments were effectively ran and why did the AAN tourney fall out?

As the president, the buck stops with me. I'm very grateful that bsh stepped up as he did to help me with tournaments when I needed him to, and I thnk he did a great job. I certainly learned a valuable lesson from that, which has fed into my "clear milestones" platform plank--even members who may agitate greatly and seem as though they're contributing a lot can do somewhat of a fade-away. Having clear public goals should help prevent that, and having a CoS like thett is going to help tremendously.

An important distinction I wasn't aware of before I became president is that "official" tournaments require moderator approval--which makes the process more convoluted. There's a feeling that all tournaments run from the administration should be "official", but official tournamenents go into the sticky for tournaments, and stickies are fundamentally under moderation control. Therefore, this term there will be a heckuva lot more unofficial tournaments. Which is not to say I'm abandoning the "official" ones by any stretch, but just that the focus, for regular tournaments that are quickly set up, is on unofficial ones, while the "official" ones are the more slow-moving, approval-based.

(4) You promised weekly updates, but the last one that happened was a month ago.

A quote from you previous campaign

"That there will be weekly updates"

Why did they stop coming?

At the risk of being a smart-aleck, did you read the last update? I addressed that there...and it wasn't a month ago.

http://www.debate.org...

I took several weeks off in part to gauge the effectiveness and necessity of weekly updates. I think it's a good thing, and important, that I initiated the weekly updates. But I wanted to see, near the end of my presidency, whether it was still the best way of doing things. The conclusion I came to was that it wasn't. I stand by doing it in the first place, but having done that outreach, I felt it was time to streamline it--to maintain the same open lines, but not in the same rigid manner.

(6) You stated you wanted to make moderation more transparent, how has that been done thus far when most people think it has gotten worse?

You're conflating two things, here.

Moderation IS more transparent. What the moderation is is an entirely different question.

People always think the site's getting worse. I can find threads fairly regularly since...forever alleging that.

There are some specific reasons that the spam, for example, seemed worse--it was getting removed somewhat slower because airmax has been doing it more on his own. And the waves of robots ebb and flow, too. There have been far fewer flamewars in a general sense, that's for sure. In some ways, certain things have been thrown into a starker relief because there aren't other things drowning them out.

(7) You were also focused on the AAN program and not just the tourney. How did that play out?

Well, I'd be lying if I said it was all rainbows and puppydogs.

(8) A quote from your last platform

"That no debate will go unvoted"

Do you feel you accomplished that?

I feel as though you're ignoring the fact that I modified that in order to address concerns. Which is a subject that came up, at great length, with jifpop.

(9) We have a lot of the same goals, expectations, and ideals for the site. Sum up your presidency in less than 200 words and why people should vote for you, when they consider the aforementioned questions

I've shown my devotion to the site, and my ability to get things done. I've demonstrated that I have the attention to detail and ability to create realistic plans necessary to be a good president. I've shown an ability to deal with challenges, and a willingness to change when there's a better way. With Cermank and Thett by my side, I think that I can expand on all of the successes of the last administration, and build an even better DDO. My administration has been the most open one on record, in my opinion, and that trend is going to continue as I expand on the programs that have already worked.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Mikal
Posts: 11,270
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 12:25:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/6/2014 12:23:01 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 12/6/2014 11:49:49 AM, Mikal wrote:
At 12/6/2014 11:46:07 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:



Don't want to double post, but I think its best to hold down all the questions to one thread. I posted this in another but I would prefer if we kept it in here :). Anyway heres my list of questions for you buddy

Happy bday by the way. Sorry we did not get to do this last night on hangouts (rina wen to the hospital)

I hope she's okay?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(1) As a President what were your team's biggest accomplishments in the last term (other than increasing voting efforts)?

I think my transparency initiative was important. I was more open about the administration and about moderation than any previous president. The latter was in large part thanks to my relationship with airmax, because he's rightly cautious about member privacy issues.


(2) Do you feel more or less effective than previous presidents before you as most of their changes were some major site changes? Why?

It's difficult to judge effectiveness when the circumstances you're working in are different than those you're comparing against. Other administrations had Juggle resources allocated to the site.

I think my presidency has been very effective, given the conditions it has worked under (in terms of site updates, the lack of resources). An important aspect of the job is doing what you can with what you've got. In that regard, I think I've been very successful.


(3) When you wanted to push tournaments in your last term, how many tournaments were effectively ran and why did the AAN tourney fall out?

As the president, the buck stops with me. I'm very grateful that bsh stepped up as he did to help me with tournaments when I needed him to, and I thnk he did a great job. I certainly learned a valuable lesson from that, which has fed into my "clear milestones" platform plank--even members who may agitate greatly and seem as though they're contributing a lot can do somewhat of a fade-away. Having clear public goals should help prevent that, and having a CoS like thett is going to help tremendously.

An important distinction I wasn't aware of before I became president is that "official" tournaments require moderator approval--which makes the process more convoluted. There's a feeling that all tournaments run from the administration should be "official", but official tournamenents go into the sticky for tournaments, and stickies are fundamentally under moderation control. Therefore, this term there will be a heckuva lot more unofficial tournaments. Which is not to say I'm abandoning the "official" ones by any stretch, but just that the focus, for regular tournaments that are quickly set up, is on unofficial ones, while the "official" ones are the more slow-moving, approval-based.


(4) You promised weekly updates, but the last one that happened was a month ago.

A quote from you previous campaign

"That there will be weekly updates"

Why did they stop coming?

At the risk of being a smart-aleck, did you read the last update? I addressed that there...and it wasn't a month ago.

http://www.debate.org...

I took several weeks off in part to gauge the effectiveness and necessity of weekly updates. I think it's a good thing, and important, that I initiated the weekly updates. But I wanted to see, near the end of my presidency, whether it was still the best way of doing things. The conclusion I came to was that it wasn't. I stand by doing it in the first place, but having done that outreach, I felt it was time to streamline it--to maintain the same open lines, but not in the same rigid manner.


(6) You stated you wanted to make moderation more transparent, how has that been done thus far when most people think it has gotten worse?

You're conflating two things, here.

Moderation IS more transparent. What the moderation is is an entirely different question.

People always think the site's getting worse. I can find threads fairly regularly since...forever alleging that.

There are some specific reasons that the spam, for example, seemed worse--it was getting removed somewhat slower because airmax has been doing it more on his own. And the waves of robots ebb and flow, too. There have been far fewer flamewars in a general sense, that's for sure. In some ways, certain things have been thrown into a starker relief because there aren't other things drowning them out.

(7) You were also focused on the AAN program and not just the tourney. How did that play out?

Well, I'd be lying if I said it was all rainbows and puppydogs.

(8) A quote from your last platform

"That no debate will go unvoted"

Do you feel you accomplished that?

I feel as though you're ignoring the fact that I modified that in order to address concerns. Which is a subject that came up, at great length, with jifpop.


(9) We have a lot of the same goals, expectations, and ideals for the site. Sum up your presidency in less than 200 words and why people should vote for you, when they consider the aforementioned questions

I've shown my devotion to the site, and my ability to get things done. I've demonstrated that I have the attention to detail and ability to create realistic plans necessary to be a good president. I've shown an ability to deal with challenges, and a willingness to change when there's a better way. With Cermank and Thett by my side, I think that I can expand on all of the successes of the last administration, and build an even better DDO. My administration has been the most open one on record, in my opinion, and that trend is going to continue as I expand on the programs that have already worked.

Great responses :)

Should we continue here or do you want me to wait until you post the official response thread?
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 12:26:13 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/6/2014 11:46:07 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:

As I said in one of my regular updates, I've already gotten approval to rearrange the stickies. Most important in that, at least in terms of this specific plank of the platform, is to change the "Post Unvoted Debates Here" thread. There will be two threads: one is for any interesting debate that a user wants to post. The other thread will be the offical "No debates unvoted" thread. No more PMs to get debates voted; this thread will be for debates that have no votes, and 24-72 hours left. Any debate posted there in that window will be guaranteed a vote, in much the same way as the "PM me" system.

I strongly disagree with limiting the debates shared in the "unvoted debates" sticky to only those that are between 24 - 72 hours left. That's not right, at all. The moment my debate enters the voting period, I share it in the sticky. Why? Because it's unvoted. For me, waiting however many days it'll take to get down to 72 hours left is not something I want to do. I'd rather have the ability to post my unvoted debate the moment it enters the voting period, that way, it has the longest possible time for exposure which would allow a greater amount of time for potential votes to be placed.

I don't see how you can possibly justify not allowing members to post unvoted debates in the "unvoted debates" sticky when they are indeed "unvoted debates". Limiting the ability to do so to only debates that are 72 hours or less is more harmful than beneficial when compared to the 10 days or however long it's exposure could have been if this system was to remain without your change.

This is honestly the only major flaw I see with your platform, and it's an issue of the utmost importance to me as I heavily rely on that sticky. Please consider changing that 72 hours or less requirement, as I find it to be incredibly restrictive compared to the requirements for posting in that sticky now.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
mortsdor
Posts: 1,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 12:27:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/6/2014 11:46:07 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
outreach efforts.

This I think could potentially make the site a lot better.

Efforts by your campaign and lannan to do legwork in attracting people here would be good,
But I also think this is something we should maybe try to convince Juggle to help with Cash-wise.

Not sure exactly what Juggle's plans are for this site.. But I would think that the only real thing the site offers is being a good place for argument.. and that that can be improved with a bit of advertising.

For example, if they periodically bought a little bit of advertising on TheEconomist.com or some other site where people who read it are apt to be somewhat engaged and intelligent people probably interested in debating things... then they'd likely very easily be able to attract a lot more good members to come here and engage on ddo.

It may not be in their plans now, but presumably they're interested in people being interested in the site.. I guess :/

Maybe people could get them to see the potential Returns on a bit of investment in that capacity.

I think it'd pay off better than their re-doing the site has with the new forums and Opinion/Polls section and flashy front page..
In fact I think all of that is a bit trite, and doesn't really attract people who might be more substantially interested in the site.

A little bit of advertising purchased on other sites could be rather helpful I'd think.
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 12:29:17 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/6/2014 12:02:31 PM, Mikal wrote:
Also I guess the one I have received most via pm I need to summarize as well

I have received a few questions regarding what you have accomplished. Some thought you did much of nothing, and others thought that the stuff you accomplished has not been very impressive. Basically you delivered on two very non-ambitious goals.

I think a huge difference I can bring to the table is I'm willing to listen to anyone and come up with new ideas all the time; the ideas don't stop once the campaign ends.

I have said in every update that I want people to contact me. I want more ideas--I am ALWAYS open to them.

Also do you think you have the passion to do more than you have already done, which some consider minor improvements. The question for passion ties into some of the previous ones I asked above, such as the weekly updates falling apart, etc. If you still have the passion to continue why stop posting for a month.

Well, at the risk of being a smart-aleck, and with the understanding that this is somewhat tongue-in-cheek...if you have as much passion as you claim, how'd you miss the one from a week ago that addresses your concern?

I think everyone can definitely agree that you are a nice guy and you seem impartial, but people think you are similar another airmax which is in a way true( you could even have mod candidacy soon) : This makes you someone who is content not to make a fuss or to shake things up when they need to be.

Making a fuss does not always shake things up. Creating more drama does not necessarily mean results.

I think and hope this next year will be more interesting under me if i'm elected.

Dang it Mikal, why do you keep leaving these open?

Are you aware of the (apocryphal) Chinese curse: "May you live in interesting times"?

You know in general as a president and a potential mod candidate, there are certain things that stays between you, juggle, and the mods. You say you delivered on more transparency, but some people don't see it.

If people don't see it, I wish they'd tell me! In part, I think this is because people stopped actually reading the weekly updates. Part of the reason that I decided I needed to make a change is that I started getting private questions about things that I had addressed in the updates...I knew they'd become part of the landscape, and so in that sense weren't as helpful any more, once they became an expected and regular thing.

I just want to know in a summary why should people believe you still have the heart and passion to do the job, when some of the promises you promised were dropped maybe because of discouragement.

Not a single promise was dropped by my, in my opinion. I accomplished the things I said I would. Every admnistration WILL face challenges, of course. I think I responded well to the challenges of my administration. I am in no sense discouraged, even if I recognize certain limitations that are less than ideal.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Mikal
Posts: 11,270
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 12:30:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/6/2014 12:23:01 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 12/6/2014 11:49:49 AM, Mikal wrote:
At 12/6/2014 11:46:07 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:



Don't want to double post, but I think its best to hold down all the questions to one thread. I posted this in another but I would prefer if we kept it in here :). Anyway heres my list of questions for you buddy

Happy bday by the way. Sorry we did not get to do this last night on hangouts (rina wen to the hospital)

Yeah anxiety attack , but doing better than before but still tripped

how was the bday outing?
Mikal
Posts: 11,270
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 12:32:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/6/2014 12:29:17 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

Running to town RQ

Do you want to keep the official post in here, or in another forum?

I'll post responses when I get back if you want it in here, if not Ill wait to the other forum

I don't want your main platform to turn into mine and get like 300 things of spam lol, unless you want it too
xXCryptoXx
Posts: 5,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 12:32:55 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/6/2014 12:26:13 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 12/6/2014 11:46:07 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:

As I said in one of my regular updates, I've already gotten approval to rearrange the stickies. Most important in that, at least in terms of this specific plank of the platform, is to change the "Post Unvoted Debates Here" thread. There will be two threads: one is for any interesting debate that a user wants to post. The other thread will be the offical "No debates unvoted" thread. No more PMs to get debates voted; this thread will be for debates that have no votes, and 24-72 hours left. Any debate posted there in that window will be guaranteed a vote, in much the same way as the "PM me" system.

I strongly disagree with limiting the debates shared in the "unvoted debates" sticky to only those that are between 24 - 72 hours left. That's not right, at all. The moment my debate enters the voting period, I share it in the sticky. Why? Because it's unvoted. For me, waiting however many days it'll take to get down to 72 hours left is not something I want to do. I'd rather have the ability to post my unvoted debate the moment it enters the voting period, that way, it has the longest possible time for exposure which would allow a greater amount of time for potential votes to be placed.

I don't see how you can possibly justify not allowing members to post unvoted debates in the "unvoted debates" sticky when they are indeed "unvoted debates". Limiting the ability to do so to only debates that are 72 hours or less is more harmful than beneficial when compared to the 10 days or however long it's exposure could have been if this system was to remain without your change.

This is honestly the only major flaw I see with your platform, and it's an issue of the utmost importance to me as I heavily rely on that sticky. Please consider changing that 72 hours or less requirement, as I find it to be incredibly restrictive compared to the requirements for posting in that sticky now.

I agree with this.
Nolite Timere
xXCryptoXx
Posts: 5,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 12:35:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/6/2014 12:02:31 PM, Mikal wrote:
Also I guess the one I have received most via pm I need to summarize as well

I have received a few questions regarding what you have accomplished. Some thought you did much of nothing, and others thought that the stuff you accomplished has not been very impressive. Basically you delivered on two very non-ambitious goals.

I think a huge difference I can bring to the table is I'm willing to listen to anyone and come up with new ideas all the time; the ideas don't stop once the campaign ends. Also do you think you have the passion to do more than you have already done, which some consider minor improvements. The question for passion ties into some of the previous ones I asked above, such as the weekly updates falling apart, etc. If you still have the passion to continue why stop posting for a month.

I think everyone can definitely agree that you are a nice guy and you seem impartial, but people think you are similar another airmax which is in a way true( you could even have mod candidacy soon) : This makes you someone who is content not to make a fuss or to shake things up when they need to be. I think and hope this next year will be more interesting under me if i'm elected. You know in general as a president and a potential mod candidate, there are certain things that stays between you, juggle, and the mods. You say you delivered on more transparency, but some people don't see it. I just want to know in a summary why should people believe you still have the heart and passion to do the job, when some of the promises you promised were dropped maybe because of discouragement.


__________________________________________________________________________________


I had to summarize this to the best of my ability. I told people I would ask questions that they were scared to ask or wanted answers for, I tried to come them all into one question :)

I will also forward anymore that I receive in pms , if they are viable and not trollish

Are you really advertising your own presidency on blade's platform forum

lol...
Nolite Timere
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 12:36:22 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/6/2014 12:26:13 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 12/6/2014 11:46:07 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:

As I said in one of my regular updates, I've already gotten approval to rearrange the stickies. Most important in that, at least in terms of this specific plank of the platform, is to change the "Post Unvoted Debates Here" thread. There will be two threads: one is for any interesting debate that a user wants to post. The other thread will be the offical "No debates unvoted" thread. No more PMs to get debates voted; this thread will be for debates that have no votes, and 24-72 hours left. Any debate posted there in that window will be guaranteed a vote, in much the same way as the "PM me" system.

I strongly disagree with limiting the debates shared in the "unvoted debates" sticky to only those that are between 24 - 72 hours left. That's not right, at all. The moment my debate enters the voting period, I share it in the sticky. Why? Because it's unvoted. For me, waiting however many days it'll take to get down to 72 hours left is not something I want to do. I'd rather have the ability to post my unvoted debate the moment it enters the voting period, that way, it has the longest possible time for exposure which would allow a greater amount of time for potential votes to be placed.

I don't see how you can possibly justify not allowing members to post unvoted debates in the "unvoted debates" sticky when they are indeed "unvoted debates". Limiting the ability to do so to only debates that are 72 hours or less is more harmful than beneficial when compared to the 10 days or however long it's exposure could have been if this system was to remain without your change.


This is honestly the only major flaw I see with your platform, and it's an issue of the utmost importance to me as I heavily rely on that sticky. Please consider changing that 72 hours or less requirement, as I find it to be incredibly restrictive compared to the requirements for posting in that sticky now.

I actually thought that concern was addressed by having two stickies: One for general exposure (which, honestly, is often how the unvoted debates thread works now--there's an awful lot of "I already have votes, but would like more"), and one specifically for the purpose of ensuring votes before the debate slips through the cracks.

When people see that a debate has, say 172 days left, voting on it is a much lower priority, because they KNOW there will be plenty of time for others to do it. I can't tell you how many times people PMd me outside the range that I had originally asked (less than 48)...and, after a day or so, when I went back to ensure it got a vote, it already had a dozen. I literally got a PM about a debate that had just gone into the voting period, that had 172 days left, so this isn't just a smart-alecky response.

I'm certainly not married to that timeframe, but giving it some kind of limitation ensures that when it's posted there, it's because it needs intervention from the voting squad.

Does all of that make sense?
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 12:44:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/6/2014 12:31:46 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
I'm actually legitimately excited for your platform and I would love to get involved with helping out.

Well, I want everyone who wants to help, to help!

Feel free to shoot me a PM and we can discuss it more.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 12:51:29 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/6/2014 12:12:19 PM, mortsdor wrote:

What specifically will his Abilities be?

What specifically is airmax on board with? I presume he's got some special role/abilities...
Or else it wouldn't be saying much to say Airmax is on board with it..
why wouldn't he be on board with it?

The specifics are still under discussion. Mirza needs to decide on some practical aspects of how he wants to work. airmax has agreed to the general principles that he's working under. For example: How much of a team is he going to want? A larger team can be more helpful, but it diffuses the group's authority. So, as it stands, yes, he'll have some "special role/abilities", and airmax has agreed to the concept of them, but what the SPECIFICS are, I need to give Mirza time to decide (and then discuss with airmax and me).
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 12:52:38 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I hope this doesn't come across wrong but I have a few questions.

1. What have you done as president, that you couldn't have done as just a regular member on the site?

2. Does your need to "be nice to everyone", prevent you from throwing your weight and being a d1ck if that's what it takes to encourage the change the site members want to see?

I lot has been said about a working relationship with juggle, but what if pestering the hell out of them for certain updates works better?

3. Does your nice demeaner prevent you from being 100% honest. I know if I'm being an idiot Bench or Mikal won't hesitate to tell me but I assume you would, and I'm not just talking about this specific scenario. There are millions of possible scenarios where being nice gets in the way of honesty.

This is not a problem I see from your opponents. So to restate my question, does being a nice guy prevent you from acting with 100% honesty in your presidential duties?

Can a regime be both nice and 100% transparent?
xXCryptoXx
Posts: 5,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 12:52:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/6/2014 12:44:46 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 12/6/2014 12:31:46 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
I'm actually legitimately excited for your platform and I would love to get involved with helping out.

Well, I want everyone who wants to help, to help!

Feel free to shoot me a PM and we can discuss it more.

If you get elected I'll be sure to do so.
Nolite Timere
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 12:56:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/6/2014 12:36:22 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 12/6/2014 12:26:13 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 12/6/2014 11:46:07 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:

As I said in one of my regular updates, I've already gotten approval to rearrange the stickies. Most important in that, at least in terms of this specific plank of the platform, is to change the "Post Unvoted Debates Here" thread. There will be two threads: one is for any interesting debate that a user wants to post. The other thread will be the offical "No debates unvoted" thread. No more PMs to get debates voted; this thread will be for debates that have no votes, and 24-72 hours left. Any debate posted there in that window will be guaranteed a vote, in much the same way as the "PM me" system.

I strongly disagree with limiting the debates shared in the "unvoted debates" sticky to only those that are between 24 - 72 hours left. That's not right, at all. The moment my debate enters the voting period, I share it in the sticky. Why? Because it's unvoted. For me, waiting however many days it'll take to get down to 72 hours left is not something I want to do. I'd rather have the ability to post my unvoted debate the moment it enters the voting period, that way, it has the longest possible time for exposure which would allow a greater amount of time for potential votes to be placed.

I don't see how you can possibly justify not allowing members to post unvoted debates in the "unvoted debates" sticky when they are indeed "unvoted debates". Limiting the ability to do so to only debates that are 72 hours or less is more harmful than beneficial when compared to the 10 days or however long it's exposure could have been if this system was to remain without your change.


This is honestly the only major flaw I see with your platform, and it's an issue of the utmost importance to me as I heavily rely on that sticky. Please consider changing that 72 hours or less requirement, as I find it to be incredibly restrictive compared to the requirements for posting in that sticky now.


I actually thought that concern was addressed by having two stickies: One for general exposure (which, honestly, is often how the unvoted debates thread works now--there's an awful lot of "I already have votes, but would like more"), and one specifically for the purpose of ensuring votes before the debate slips through the cracks.

Okay, that is actually what confused me. When you said one is for "interesting debates" that people wish to share, and the other is for debates that have 24 - 72 hours left, it made me imagine a dynamic where either your unvoted debates are ones that you always share as interesting, or they are those that you must wait until there is only 72 hours left to share. Maybe you should clarify that a little better, because it already seems like I'm not the only one concerned by this.

At the end of the day, I just want to make sure that when my debates enter the voting period I can post them in a sticky, like I've been doing, without necessarily having to wait until they only have 72 hours left. When I saw that I was like, "omg no, the exposure is going to get cut drastically!" It was just hard to discern that when you said "interesting debates" you also meant debates that were unvoted but not necessarily at 72 hours left yet.

If I understand you correctly then, this change would basically turn the unvoted debates sticky into two - where one is for any unvoted debates seeking exposure and the other is for debates that have reached 72 hours or less for guaranteed votes?

When people see that a debate has, say 172 days left, voting on it is a much lower priority, because they KNOW there will be plenty of time for others to do it. I can't tell you how many times people PMd me outside the range that I had originally asked (less than 48)...and, after a day or so, when I went back to ensure it got a vote, it already had a dozen. I literally got a PM about a debate that had just gone into the voting period, that had 172 days left, so this isn't just a smart-alecky response.

I was in that PM, lol, and had the same reaction. I agree that when debates have that long of a voting period, the necessity of placing a vote on it diminishes quickly.

I'm certainly not married to that timeframe, but giving it some kind of limitation ensures that when it's posted there, it's because it needs intervention from the voting squad.

Does all of that make sense?

Absolutely, and I agree that it's a good idea to have a guarantee for debates that reach near-close and have yet to receive any votes. In fact, if Mikal was elected I would personally be playing a part in making sure that remains the case. I've always agreed with the mission of such a quest, but you know this :)

I just wanted to make sure I still have a place to share my unvoted debates without them necessarily having to be at 72 hours or less.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Posts: 21,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 12:57:18 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/6/2014 12:26:13 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 12/6/2014 11:46:07 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:

As I said in one of my regular updates, I've already gotten approval to rearrange the stickies. Most important in that, at least in terms of this specific plank of the platform, is to change the "Post Unvoted Debates Here" thread. There will be two threads: one is for any interesting debate that a user wants to post. The other thread will be the offical "No debates unvoted" thread. No more PMs to get debates voted; this thread will be for debates that have no votes, and 24-72 hours left. Any debate posted there in that window will be guaranteed a vote, in much the same way as the "PM me" system.

I strongly disagree with limiting the debates shared in the "unvoted debates" sticky to only those that are between 24 - 72 hours left. That's not right, at all. The moment my debate enters the voting period, I share it in the sticky. Why? Because it's unvoted. For me, waiting however many days it'll take to get down to 72 hours left is not something I want to do. I'd rather have the ability to post my unvoted debate the moment it enters the voting period, that way, it has the longest possible time for exposure which would allow a greater amount of time for potential votes to be placed.

^ I'm with BoT on this one.... Changing the unvoted debates sticky to only have debates with 24-72 hours left in the voting period sounds like the equivalent of changing admittance policy into a hospital so that only patients who are near-death are accepted, with anyone else not fitting into that category being left out on their own....
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
mortsdor
Posts: 1,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 1:02:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/6/2014 12:51:29 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
So, as it stands, yes, he'll have some "special role/abilities", and airmax has agreed to the concept of them
but what the SPECIFICS are, I need to give Mirza time to decide ( then discuss with airmax and me).

Mod/Enforcement abilities?
What abilities would YOU want the role to have?

Sorry to belabor the point, but you're not really saying anything at all about this proposed new position.

Maybe you should take a day or so and Iron out this aspect of your platform a little better.

Because as it stands you've said you'd give Mirza a new position to do stuff,
but it doesn't sound like you're sure on what kind of stuff he'll be doing.
Or how it differs from what any given person can do.

So, at the moment this proposed new position isn't really much to talk about :/
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 1:21:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/6/2014 1:02:21 PM, mortsdor wrote:
At 12/6/2014 12:51:29 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
So, as it stands, yes, he'll have some "special role/abilities", and airmax has agreed to the concept of them
but what the SPECIFICS are, I need to give Mirza time to decide ( then discuss with airmax and me).

Mod/Enforcement abilities?
What abilities would YOU want the role to have?

Sorry to belabor the point, but you're not really saying anything at all about this proposed new position.

Maybe you should take a day or so and Iron out this aspect of your platform a little better.

Because as it stands you've said you'd give Mirza a new position to do stuff,
but it doesn't sound like you're sure on what kind of stuff he'll be doing.
Or how it differs from what any given person can do.

So, at the moment this proposed new position isn't really much to talk about :/

My concern is that I don't want to hem him in at all. I'm perfectly willing to outline my thoughts somewhat--because yes, I have quite a lot of them, and he and I have been discussing it, but I want to do that with the understanding that the whole point of giving him autonomy is allowing him to make his own decisions.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 1:24:40 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/6/2014 12:56:03 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 12/6/2014 12:36:22 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 12/6/2014 12:26:13 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 12/6/2014 11:46:07 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:

As I said in one of my regular updates, I've already gotten approval to rearrange the stickies. Most important in that, at least in terms of this specific plank of the platform, is to change the "Post Unvoted Debates Here" thread. There will be two threads: one is for any interesting debate that a user wants to post. The other thread will be the offical "No debates unvoted" thread. No more PMs to get debates voted; this thread will be for debates that have no votes, and 24-72 hours left. Any debate posted there in that window will be guaranteed a vote, in much the same way as the "PM me" system.

I strongly disagree with limiting the debates shared in the "unvoted debates" sticky to only those that are between 24 - 72 hours left. That's not right, at all. The moment my debate enters the voting period, I share it in the sticky. Why? Because it's unvoted. For me, waiting however many days it'll take to get down to 72 hours left is not something I want to do. I'd rather have the ability to post my unvoted debate the moment it enters the voting period, that way, it has the longest possible time for exposure which would allow a greater amount of time for potential votes to be placed.

I don't see how you can possibly justify not allowing members to post unvoted debates in the "unvoted debates" sticky when they are indeed "unvoted debates". Limiting the ability to do so to only debates that are 72 hours or less is more harmful than beneficial when compared to the 10 days or however long it's exposure could have been if this system was to remain without your change.


This is honestly the only major flaw I see with your platform, and it's an issue of the utmost importance to me as I heavily rely on that sticky. Please consider changing that 72 hours or less requirement, as I find it to be incredibly restrictive compared to the requirements for posting in that sticky now.


I actually thought that concern was addressed by having two stickies: One for general exposure (which, honestly, is often how the unvoted debates thread works now--there's an awful lot of "I already have votes, but would like more"), and one specifically for the purpose of ensuring votes before the debate slips through the cracks.

Okay, that is actually what confused me. When you said one is for "interesting debates" that people wish to share, and the other is for debates that have 24 - 72 hours left, it made me imagine a dynamic where either your unvoted debates are ones that you always share as interesting, or they are those that you must wait until there is only 72 hours left to share. Maybe you should clarify that a little better, because it already seems like I'm not the only one concerned by this.

At the end of the day, I just want to make sure that when my debates enter the voting period I can post them in a sticky, like I've been doing, without necessarily having to wait until they only have 72 hours left. When I saw that I was like, "omg no, the exposure is going to get cut drastically!" It was just hard to discern that when you said "interesting debates" you also meant debates that were unvoted but not necessarily at 72 hours left yet.

Fair enough, and I apologize for any lack of clarity.

If I understand you correctly then, this change would basically turn the unvoted debates sticky into two - where one is for any unvoted debates seeking exposure and the other is for debates that have reached 72 hours or less for guaranteed votes?

You are correct sir!

When people see that a debate has, say 172 days left, voting on it is a much lower priority, because they KNOW there will be plenty of time for others to do it. I can't tell you how many times people PMd me outside the range that I had originally asked (less than 48)...and, after a day or so, when I went back to ensure it got a vote, it already had a dozen. I literally got a PM about a debate that had just gone into the voting period, that had 172 days left, so this isn't just a smart-alecky response.

I was in that PM, lol, and had the same reaction. I agree that when debates have that long of a voting period, the necessity of placing a vote on it diminishes quickly.

I'm certainly not married to that timeframe, but giving it some kind of limitation ensures that when it's posted there, it's because it needs intervention from the voting squad.

Does all of that make sense?

Absolutely, and I agree that it's a good idea to have a guarantee for debates that reach near-close and have yet to receive any votes. In fact, if Mikal was elected I would personally be playing a part in making sure that remains the case. I've always agreed with the mission of such a quest, but you know this :)

I do indeed, and have never had a beef with you.

I just wanted to make sure I still have a place to share my unvoted debates without them necessarily having to be at 72 hours or less.

Yup! And again, I'm sorry for any lack of clarity.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 1:27:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/6/2014 12:57:18 PM, imabench wrote:
At 12/6/2014 12:26:13 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 12/6/2014 11:46:07 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:

As I said in one of my regular updates, I've already gotten approval to rearrange the stickies. Most important in that, at least in terms of this specific plank of the platform, is to change the "Post Unvoted Debates Here" thread. There will be two threads: one is for any interesting debate that a user wants to post. The other thread will be the offical "No debates unvoted" thread. No more PMs to get debates voted; this thread will be for debates that have no votes, and 24-72 hours left. Any debate posted there in that window will be guaranteed a vote, in much the same way as the "PM me" system.

I strongly disagree with limiting the debates shared in the "unvoted debates" sticky to only those that are between 24 - 72 hours left. That's not right, at all. The moment my debate enters the voting period, I share it in the sticky. Why? Because it's unvoted. For me, waiting however many days it'll take to get down to 72 hours left is not something I want to do. I'd rather have the ability to post my unvoted debate the moment it enters the voting period, that way, it has the longest possible time for exposure which would allow a greater amount of time for potential votes to be placed.

^ I'm with BoT on this one.... Changing the unvoted debates sticky to only have debates with 24-72 hours left in the voting period sounds like the equivalent of changing admittance policy into a hospital so that only patients who are near-death are accepted, with anyone else not fitting into that category being left out on their own....

Lol, don't get me started on hospital analogies--I think I can beat you on that one (traige vs. fast track vs. ER vs. Trama bay vs. etc. etc. etc.)

But is it clearer now what I mean, by my response to BoT?

There will be 2 stickies. One will serve essentially the same function as the current one, though it will not explicitly call for the debates to be unvoted...a requirement now technically in place but often ignored. ANY debate can be put in there if you want it to get more exposure.

The SECOND thread will focus on the unvoted aspect--and, in that sense, is limited for prioritization's sake.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 1:41:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/6/2014 12:52:38 PM, Wylted wrote:
I hope this doesn't come across wrong but I have a few questions.

1. What have you done as president, that you couldn't have done as just a regular member on the site?

Well, my interactions with Juggle, obviously. Also, everything that was official--that is, everything that my administration did--was official BECAUSE I was president. That's how the system works.

2. Does your need to "be nice to everyone", prevent you from throwing your weight and being a d1ck if that's what it takes to encourage the change the site members want to see?

I don't think I need to "be nice to everyone". In fact, I'm sure there are SEVERAL people who would disagree with you. That said, there are times to be nice. And there are times to not be nice.

(Youtube link has some NSFW language)

#t=198

I lot has been said about a working relationship with juggle, but what if pestering the hell out of them for certain updates works better?

Juggle's a professional organization, and they aren't beholden to petulance. I know that's not what you were recommending--but there's more than one way to "pester the hell". There's right ways and wrong ways, depending on who you're talking to.

3. Does your nice demeaner prevent you from being 100% honest. I know if I'm being an idiot Bench or Mikal won't hesitate to tell me but I assume you would, and I'm not just talking about this specific scenario. There are millions of possible scenarios where being nice gets in the way of honesty.

Being nice doesn't have to get in the way of honesty. But "honest" can take several forms. The "honesty" of the heat of the moment isn't always the best honesty. The president should not get away with more than the average member would, in terms of conduct and what they say.

This is not a problem I see from your opponents. So to restate my question, does being a nice guy prevent you from acting with 100% honesty in your presidential duties?

Honesty does not require insult.

Can a regime be both nice and 100% transparent?

No administration can be 100% transparent without almost certainly being marginalized. If you reveal things you shouldn't, you won't be trusted with those things moving forward. I often describe the presidency as an ambassadorial position. And just like ambassadors, at least SOME care has to be taken to be effective.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 1:44:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Bit of a typo there in the URL--fast forward that video to 3:18.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
imabench
Posts: 21,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 2:00:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/6/2014 1:27:04 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

There will be 2 stickies. One will serve essentially the same function as the current one, though it will not explicitly call for the debates to be unvoted...a requirement now technically in place but often ignored. ANY debate can be put in there if you want it to get more exposure.

It makes better sense to want to have two different stickies, but im still somehwat concerned about how many stickies there already are in the main forum. Adding more would just make it look more cluttered, unless you could somehow put the forum for debates with little time left in red or some other color to make it seem more urgent
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 2:06:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/6/2014 2:00:19 PM, imabench wrote:
At 12/6/2014 1:27:04 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

There will be 2 stickies. One will serve essentially the same function as the current one, though it will not explicitly call for the debates to be unvoted...a requirement now technically in place but often ignored. ANY debate can be put in there if you want it to get more exposure.

It makes better sense to want to have two different stickies, but im still somehwat concerned about how many stickies there already are in the main forum. Adding more would just make it look more cluttered, unless you could somehow put the forum for debates with little time left in red or some other color to make it seem more urgent

Well, the time-sensitive one will be the first one, with the other one below that. The stickies are already queued for reorganization; I'm pretty certain the net total will remain the same or less, although that hasn't been decided for certain yet.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!