Tournament system proposal

bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 7:27:29 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
As mikal's chief of staff, this system would be my pet project:

Four big tournaments, inspired by tennis, to each have a different twist.

(1) Tournament #1

A parli inspired tournament. Both debaters start the debate without agreeing on a topic. Pro simply picks a topic and starts debating. However, if the topic is too one-sided, Con can argue that the topic is "tight" (unwinnable) and Pro will lose if Con shows the topic is completely one-sided. I'll explain more later, but it's an interesting dynamic because Pro gets to pick without any input from Con, but has a huge incentive to choose a topic that is fair.

(2) Tournament #2

Public forum live debate style tournament. I can explain the format more later, but PF is a really fun form of debate. Everyone I know who has tried it has enjoyed it.

(3) Tournament #3

No research debate. The debaters have only 30 minutes between rounds. This is also similar to Parli debate, in that you don't have time to research. You have to rely on knowledge you already have and common sense. Each debate can be completed in 3 hours too (3 rounds).

(4) Tournament #4

Team debate tournament. 2 vs. 2. Four rounds, each debater has to write two of the rounds. Honor system: you're not supposed to have your partner write all four.

Winning, getting to semi-finals, etc, will all be worth a certain # of points. We'll work with airmax to get a thread stickied that shows who has the highest ranking on the site in terms of tournament performance.

Lastly, people with good tournament perform or otherwise really high ELO's will be entered into a Tournament of Champions to happen once per year. The goal is to get all the really good debaters to participate and find a time of year that works for everyone to make that happen. I want to see epic debates going on.

Let me know if you like the idea or have suggestions to improve it.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 7:34:42 PM
At 12/6/2014 7:27:29 PM, bluesteel wrote:

(1) Tournament #1

A parli inspired tournament. Both debaters start the debate without agreeing on a topic. Pro simply picks a topic and starts debating. However, if the topic is too one-sided, Con can argue that the topic is "tight" (unwinnable) and Pro will lose if Con shows the topic is completely one-sided. I'll explain more later, but it's an interesting dynamic because Pro gets to pick without any input from Con, but has a huge incentive to choose a topic that is fair.

(2) Tournament #2

Public forum live debate style tournament. I can explain the format more later, but PF is a really fun form of debate. Everyone I know who has tried it has enjoyed it.

(3) Tournament #3

No research debate. The debaters have only 30 minutes between rounds. This is also similar to Parli debate, in that you don't have time to research. You have to rely on knowledge you already have and common sense. Each debate can be completed in 3 hours too (3 rounds).

(4) Tournament #4

Team debate tournament. 2 vs. 2. Four rounds, each debater has to write two of the rounds. Honor system: you're not supposed to have your partner write all four.

Winning, getting to semi-finals, etc, will all be worth a certain # of points. We'll work with airmax to get a thread stickied that shows who has the highest ranking on the site in terms of tournament performance.

Lastly, people with good tournament perform or otherwise really high ELO's will be entered into a Tournament of Champions to happen once per year. The goal is to get all the really good debaters to participate and find a time of year that works for everyone to make that happen. I want to see epic debates going on.

I'm Mikal and I approve this message
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2014 7:34:29 PM
Bumping this as requested by someone who expressed interest in it.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2014 8:45:40 PM
I like Tournament 3. I'm down to do a live no-research debate on various entertainment topics (e.g. movies, tv shows, comics, video games), should someone be interested.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2014 8:47:46 PM
At 12/6/2014 7:27:29 PM, bluesteel wrote:

(1) Tournament #1

(2) Tournament #2

(3) Tournament #3

(4) Tournament #4

I'm not a really good debator despite my ELO but I would love a tournament of champions.