bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 4:00:29 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
January 2015 bladerunner060 campaign platform

Platform update.

Obviously, at least one major change needs to be made.

I would just like to say that if you elect the bladeruner/Cermank/Thett platform, you know what you'll get:

You'll get improvements to the daily running of the site. You'll get transparency. You'll get fair treatment. And I will continue to try my hardest to get site updates done.

You should vote for my platform if what you want are real goals accomplished. Anyone can make promises. I've shown that I've made good on my promises throughout my administration. With my platform, you have someone who's proved himself, and who's devoted to making this site a better place. You have someone who has shown his dedication and follow-through for the last 6 months, who has shown that he can deal with the sort of challenges that any administration is going to face at some point.

I'm incredibly grateful that Cermank is my Vice President, and that thett3 is my Chief of Staff. Both of them are fully capable of doing whatever needs to be done--they will oversee all of the programs of the administration, and will themselves head specific projects as needed. Cermank and Thett are awesome members, and I have absolutely full faith that they will be as much a help as bsh was.

On Transparency:

One of my biggest promises last election was to ensure that there was as much transparency as possible in my administration. I delivered on that promise. My administration was the most transparent on record. I promise it again. While 100% transparency is impossible, I promise that it is my goal to get ALL the information I can out to the community.

My update schedule is going to be more fluid. I'm not promising weekly updates, though I will promise that there will definitely be a public post, general update post from me at least once a month (though it will be almost certainly more often). But every single initiative will have the person who's in charge of it listed. They will have a public update schedule. It will make clear exactly what's going on with each project at milestone points. It's just a fact that not every initiative is going to pan out as it's intended, but it's going to be very clear what work's being done. Instead of one single weekly mass-blast, each project will be its own thing. This allows people to stay in touch with what interests them.

Voting:

My promise from last campaign stands, though it's modified because of the sticky change that I'm about to explain--no matter what, those debates will get a vote. But that's not where it ends. I promise to continue my voting program, but more importantly I promise to improve it. Under my administration, fewer debates than ever before went unvoted. But it had been my intention to get a true voting initiative in place. It was my "backup plan" that ANY unvoted debate that was PMd to me within 48 hours of its ending received a vote. I kept my campaign promise, but I want to do more. I want to make it easier for folks to know how to get votes on their debate, so that (hopefully) no debates slip through the cracks.

As I said in one of my regular updates, I've already gotten approval to rearrange the stickies. Most important in that, at least in terms of this specific plank of the platform, is to change the "Post Unvoted Debates Here" thread.

There will be two threads: one is for any interesting debate that a user wants to post, regardless of where it is in the voting period. This is the thread that is functionally similar to the current unvoted thread.

The other thread will be the offical "No debates unvoted" thread. No more PMs to get debates voted; this thread will be for debates that have no votes, and 24-72 hours left. Any debate posted there in that window will be guaranteed a vote, in much the same way as the "PM me" system.

But it's not just that. I want a successful voting group. During my administration, I worked towards getting that. But I want to get people excited about voting, and just setting up a group didn't do that. So to accomplish that goal of excitement, I'm going to make the "Vote Squad" a public thing--everyone who wants to be on it will be publicly listed in the sticky. From a month-to-month basis, squad members who have voted the most, or had particularly great votes, will be highlighted, and given public recognition for their efforts. And on top of that ongoing thing, I'm going to run official competitions for votes.

Should I be re-elected, the proverbial hammer on those changes is ready to drop (and it's part of the overall effort to update/clean-up the stickies that airmax and I have been working on...some of which may even happen before the election). The only reason that hasn't been done yet is that I realized this particular plan was kind of presumptuous to implement so close to the election. I hope I have the community's support, but I shouldn't be arrogant enough to assume it.

In keeping with my plans of being more specific with each project as its announced, with public accountability and milestones for them, here are the folks who already have specific jobs in my administration. I want everyone who wants to be a part of my administration to be a part of my administration--please feel free to PM me at any time with ideas or projects! That said, one of the many things I learned during this last administration was the need for structure.

Forum programs:

I believe my religion forum ambassador program was a net benefit. That said, it's become obvious that larger measures are indicated, and that, while the general effort was good, the goals of forum improvements need to be more explicit. We have a forum-which-shall-not-be-named that should be better than it is, and we have other forums that are dead on the vine. These have been ongoing problems for much longer than my administration. To work on those things, I've asked Mirza to be my Secretary of Forum Affairs. He will have autonomy and will be able to focus on the specific needs of each forum section; I've already spoken to airmax about this, and he's on board with it. Each forum improvement effort will be posted as it happens.

Site updates:

Juggle has devoted resources away from the site, such that even the tiniest change simply doesn't have the resources to implement. That will change--such is the nature of resource allocation. I am in a position to advocate for site updates the moment there are resources to implement them. I've already established a relationship with Juggle. Promises are cheap, and I have maintained throughout my administration honesty with the community, so no, I won't promise the moon. I'll just say the truth: My administration is in the best position to capitalize on Juggle's involvement.

The trial system:

I'm still committed to ensuring the community gets what it wants. And I am in the best position to work with moderation to implement any trial system. I have bumped the initial trial conversation thread that I started, in order to begin the process of working out what we, as a community want--whether we even want a trial system at all, and how it should work.

The thread to have this conversation can be found here: http://www.debate.org...

Incidentally, the preface comments were made last night. My house is finally back in order.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2014 12:14:16 AM
At 12/7/2014 9:11:18 PM, Cermank wrote:
bump
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2014 12:20:57 AM
But it's not just that. I want a successful voting group. During my administration, I worked towards getting that. But I want to get people excited about voting, and just setting up a group didn't do that. So to accomplish that goal of excitement, I'm going to make the "Vote Squad" a public thing--everyone who wants to be on it will be publicly listed in the sticky. From a month-to-month basis, squad members who have voted the most, or had particularly great votes, will be highlighted, and given public recognition for their efforts. And on top of that ongoing thing, I'm going to run official competitions for votes.

That was exactly one of my incentives i was going to push with the help of endark. I think you may have accidentally and unknowingly hijacked an idea of his lol
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2014 12:24:58 AM
At 12/8/2014 12:20:57 AM, Mikal wrote:

That was exactly one of my incentives i was going to push with the help of endark. I think you may have accidentally and unknowingly hijacked an idea of his lol

Actually, this was something Blade and I discussed weeks ago. I still have the PMs if you want to see them and if Blade's okay with it.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2014 12:26:16 AM
At 12/8/2014 12:24:58 AM, bsh1 wrote:

Actually, this was something Blade and I discussed weeks ago. I still have the PMs if you want to see them and if Blade's okay with it.

I'm just notating that this looks very very similar to an idea that endark pitched to me quite a while ago XD

not saying that it's a bad thing, just saying I think both people have the same concept, and this was verbatim one of my voting incentive concepts that I was going to let him lead
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2014 12:27:27 AM
At 12/8/2014 12:26:16 AM, Mikal wrote:

I'm just notating that this looks very very similar to an idea that endark pitched to me quite a while ago XD

not saying that it's a bad thing, just saying I think both people have the same concept, and this was verbatim one of my voting incentive concepts that I was going to let him lead

Well, obviously not verbatim, Mikal. Similar doesn't imply a common origin, after all.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2014 12:29:53 AM
At 12/8/2014 12:27:27 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 12/8/2014 12:26:16 AM, Mikal wrote:

Well, obviously not verbatim, Mikal. Similar doesn't imply a common origin, after all.

the name is verbatim, the concept is varied and altered.

I'm just giving endark a shout out in case his idea gets canned on accident by you guys having similar ideas. I loved his proposal he shot me a while back and this seems all to similar.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2014 12:33:05 AM
At 12/8/2014 12:32:35 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
Thanks, Mikal!

Blade and I have already discussed it.

just did not want your idea drowned out XD
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2014 12:33:32 AM
At 12/8/2014 12:29:53 AM, Mikal wrote:

It seems like Endark and Blade have worked it out.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2014 12:34:37 AM
At 12/8/2014 12:33:05 AM, Mikal wrote:
Thanks, Mikal!

I appreciate that. :-)
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2014 12:43:30 AM
At 12/8/2014 12:34:37 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 12/8/2014 12:33:05 AM, Mikal wrote:
Thanks, Mikal!

I appreciate that. :-)

your welcome buddy XD
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2014 1:44:56 PM
You said you have already established a working relationship with Juggle. What things have you gotten done through Juggle? How long did they take and how significant were they compared to what you were hoping to get?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2014 3:40:07 PM
At 12/8/2014 1:44:56 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
You said you have already established a working relationship with Juggle. What things have you gotten done through Juggle? How long did they take and how significant were they compared to what you were hoping to get?

He has made sure that (almost) no debate is left unvoted on. I don't know how successful he has been in this regard, but if he has mostly succeeded then this is a MASSIVE achievement, and that alone is enough to prove his competence as President. Now, I know that I'm not really the one to speak, and I mean no offense towards Mikal, but he appears to lack the maturity needed to carry out the duties of the office of DDO President to the fullest. Plus, Bladerunner has six months of experience under his belt and with a new set of promises more will almost assuredly get done if he gets re-elected.
In my honest opinion, Mikal's and Imabench's campaign appears to be driven largely by charisma, but whenever they get elected that charisma will fade and they'll likely find themselves unable to carry out many of the promises made during their campaigning.
Also, the idea of Imabench being Vice-President is highly disturbing to me, and Bladerunner has a cool username.
Therefore, I shall cast my vote for Bladerunner and Cermank.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2014 3:54:17 PM
At 12/8/2014 3:40:07 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

He has made sure that (almost) no debate is left unvoted on. I don't know how successful he has been in this regard, but if he has mostly succeeded then this is a MASSIVE achievement, and that alone is enough to prove his competence as President. Now, I know that I'm not really the one to speak, and I mean no offense towards Mikal, but he appears to lack the maturity needed to carry out the duties of the office of DDO President to the fullest. Plus, Bladerunner has six months of experience under his belt and with a new set of promises more will almost assuredly get done if he gets re-elected.
In my honest opinion, Mikal's and Imabench's campaign appears to be driven largely by charisma, but whenever they get elected that charisma will fade and they'll likely find themselves unable to carry out many of the promises made during their campaigning.
Also, the idea of Imabench being Vice-President is highly disturbing to me, and Bladerunner has a cool username.
Therefore, I shall cast my vote for Bladerunner and Cermank.

That's all well and good. I was specifically asking about the claim that he has an established relationship with Juggle.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2014 11:21:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago

Well, this may be a terminology issue. If by "working" it's assumed that I must be able to show "product" (i.e. site updates), then I will freely admit that that hasn't happened under my administration. I've spoken to them, and they're aware of things that the community wants as priorities, but at present there are 0 resources applied to the site--not even enough to update the dang "elected officials" page (which, I freely confess, has been an annoyance).

So, "how long did it take" to get them to respond to me? In general, responses were quick, with some exceptions. How significant was what I've gotten vs. what I hoped to get? Well...pretty big gap between "something" and "nothing".

I make no bones and won't BS about the fact that I haven't been able to get them to allocate the resources that we think the site needs. I strongly believe that it has not been a problem of approach.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 2:24:18 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Since this may be my very last chance to bump stuff...BUMP.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics