Total Posts:34|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

I support Mikal/Imabench~

dtaylor971
Posts: 1,907
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 4:13:40 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
==Why I support Mikal==

I've never known Mikal that much, but I've learned quite a lot of things from just observing him. Mikal is a perfect fit for president. He has the free time, energy, and will to run a site like DDO (with help from Ima and Airmax.) He's very tied into the DDO community, and knows who to support and who not to support. We, as the DDO community, have helped him a great deal, and so has he.

Furthermore, Mikal has a great personality. If you treat him with respect, then he will do the same to you. I have never seen an example of when he has not gotten along with a good, respected member. He brings some fun to a knowledgeable site with his rap battles, mafia appearances, and DDO hangouts. He may very well be the driving force of most DDO interactions.

If that isn't enough, Mikal is a very smart individual. Though he has openly admitted his ELO isn't accurate, he can buckle down to business and beat almost anyone in a debate. But his smarts expand beyond debating. He knows how to maintain relationships, keep people on balance, and keep the site well as a whole.

Aside from Mikal's societal and personal abilities, he has created an appealing platform. Mikal has promised to provide equilibrium between free speech and punishment. As he has stated, this is a debate site. You will get into arguments. Right now, the censorship is biased towards one side, and it would be wonderful if, and hopefully when, Mikal balances it out. He can do this, as he is one of the smartest and most respected members on the site.

One of the newest and most interesting aspects of Mikal's platform is the trial. It will create some form of a democracy, where users can be judged by their peers to see whether they are worthy of being in the DDO community, and whether or not they pose a positive or negative effect on this site. If this is correctly implemented, then it will pose a huge positive effect on the DDO site.

Mikal has also pledged to clean out the front page. This is huge. The front page of DDO is what new users will see, and we may be able to attract different diversities and new ideas if the front page is transformed to show how intellectual this site really is. As it was pointed out, this site isn't exactly international. Mikal has the ideas and the know-how to add more diversity to this site. A front page transformation could also be huge, if unvoted debates were specialized instead of already-voted, popular debates that everyone knows about regardless of whether it is posted on the front page.

Mikal's ideas, contrary to what bsh1 said, are actually quite realistic. Mikal can work with other members in harmony, and can do the same with airmax. They already have a friendly relationship with eachother, hence the famous "rap battle compliments" airmax and Mikal did. It is undeniable that airmax can work in harmony with both of the leading candidates. But when Mikal and airmax work together, it is pretty much guaranteed they will both attempt to implement Mikal's guidelines.

Furthermore, Mikal and airmax won't be working alone. If Mikal wins the election, both Blade-of-Truth and Bluesteel will help him form relations with Juggle and airmax. Point is, Mikal wouldn't be doing this all alone. With the help he is getting, combined with his ideas, the sky is the limit.

==Why I support imabench and Bluesteel==

I support imabench for a number of reasons. First, he's not afraid to pull the trigger on certain things. We all know that imabench is never afraid to speak out, and he has a thick shell. That is vital in a leader role to the site. Imabench can provide insight into who he thinks should be banned and who should not. He has been on this site for a long time, and has interacted with pretty much every active member. He knows who to like and who not to like, when he gets serious and actually works.

I realize that many people believe that imabench is unproven in such a role. But I think, and firmly believe that, when given the chance, imabench can work well with other respected members. Furthermore, he can maintain a schedule, and maintain that schedule for a long period of time. This was evidenced by the weekly stupid (though controversial, there is no denying it was run in an organized manner.)

Third, he can get people's backs. I mean, he gave five-hundred dollars to help Mikal in his time of need. He has all the tools to be a spokesperson for some users, and even defend some others' actions if they are justified. When professional, there is no debate about whether imabench is a hell of a guy. And in the election, thus far, he has acted professional by helping Mikal and even formulating some interesting ideas of his own.

Supporting Bluesteel speaks for itself. He is one of the most professional people on the site, and is trained in law and business. He is smarter than most people I've ever met. It is also not arguable, no matter what your stance on the election is, that he can make business relationships (vital to the Juggle/DDO relationships.) As for personal relationships (him and Airmax) there is no doubt that he can maintain that too.

So, in conclusion, Mikal has some wonderful ideas on how to improve the site. He has a great personality, and has the time and the devotion to make his ideas a reality. Combine this with the people he would be working with, and you've got a reason to vote for Mikal/Imabench!

Note that I think Eddie is a great member and an even better guy. Regardless of who wins the election, I'll be happy.

P.S. Oh yeah, I'm 13. Some of my thoughts may not be communicated in a clear way, but I think the message I was trying to get across here is pretty evident.
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
Daltonian
Posts: 4,797
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 5:38:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Interesting input. On balance, one thing I've noticed is that Mikal's supporters are seemingly more vocal than Blade's.
F _ C K
All I need is "u", baby
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 6:14:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/7/2014 5:38:57 PM, Daltonian wrote:
Interesting input. On balance, one thing I've noticed is that Mikal's supporters are seemingly more vocal than Blade's.

Definitely.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 6:31:08 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/7/2014 4:13:40 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:

Mikal's ideas, contrary to what bsh1 said, are actually quite realistic. Mikal can work with other members in harmony, and can do the same with airmax. They already have a friendly relationship with eachother, hence the famous "rap battle compliments" airmax and Mikal did. It is undeniable that airmax can work in harmony with both of the leading candidates. But when Mikal and airmax work together, it is pretty much guaranteed they will both attempt to implement Mikal's guidelines.

Dylan--Airmax is diametrically opposed to nearly every change to modding that Mikal wants to make. Airmax is not going to budge on those issues, and so those portions of Mikal's platform that require Airmax's support will fail. As for those parts that require Juggle's involvement, Airmax is not Juggle. Juggle is not interested--as Mikal admits--in working on DDO, so--by Mikal's own admission--those parts of his platform are highly unrealistic too.

Seriously--only two things Mikal promised are things he can actually do by himself without approval from someone else. And, those two things are things Blade has already done well and that it is unlikely Mikal could do better on.

Furthermore, Mikal and airmax won't be working alone.

Blade wouldn't be working alone either--he would have a team of helpers supporting him too.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Mikal
Posts: 11,270
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 6:52:24 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/7/2014 6:31:08 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 12/7/2014 4:13:40 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:

Mikal's ideas, contrary to what bsh1 said, are actually quite realistic. Mikal can work with other members in harmony, and can do the same with airmax. They already have a friendly relationship with eachother, hence the famous "rap battle compliments" airmax and Mikal did. It is undeniable that airmax can work in harmony with both of the leading candidates. But when Mikal and airmax work together, it is pretty much guaranteed they will both attempt to implement Mikal's guidelines.

Dylan--Airmax is diametrically opposed to nearly every change to modding that Mikal wants to make. Airmax is not going to budge on those issues, and so those portions of Mikal's platform that require Airmax's support will fail. As for those parts that require Juggle's involvement, Airmax is not Juggle. Juggle is not interested--as Mikal admits--in working on DDO, so--by Mikal's own admission--those parts of his platform are highly unrealistic too.

Seriously--only two things Mikal promised are things he can actually do by himself without approval from someone else. And, those two things are things Blade has already done well and that it is unlikely Mikal could do better on.

I can and will do better, and the realistic changes (which are 70 percent of my platform, airmax will work with me on. This includes stickies, updating them, and i'm quite sure he would here my ideas for the front page) There are things I'm sure that will be different. Each president is utilized differently, as will my role. That does not take away from my platform. Most of my platform is in my hands, and I can assure you most people know and believe I can deliver

As far as saying that I have only two things that are in my power to change that is blatantly false. When you branch out my platform, that extends to quite a few things. all of which can be found outlined in the specifics of what I intend to accomplish. Its in the main forum

Furthermore, Mikal and airmax won't be working alone.

Blade wouldn't be working alone either--he would have a team of helpers supporting him too.
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 7:59:16 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/7/2014 6:52:24 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 12/7/2014 6:31:08 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 12/7/2014 4:13:40 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:

Mikal's ideas, contrary to what bsh1 said, are actually quite realistic. Mikal can work with other members in harmony, and can do the same with airmax. They already have a friendly relationship with eachother, hence the famous "rap battle compliments" airmax and Mikal did. It is undeniable that airmax can work in harmony with both of the leading candidates. But when Mikal and airmax work together, it is pretty much guaranteed they will both attempt to implement Mikal's guidelines.

Dylan--Airmax is diametrically opposed to nearly every change to modding that Mikal wants to make. Airmax is not going to budge on those issues, and so those portions of Mikal's platform that require Airmax's support will fail. As for those parts that require Juggle's involvement, Airmax is not Juggle. Juggle is not interested--as Mikal admits--in working on DDO, so--by Mikal's own admission--those parts of his platform are highly unrealistic too.

Seriously--only two things Mikal promised are things he can actually do by himself without approval from someone else. And, those two things are things Blade has already done well and that it is unlikely Mikal could do better on.

I can and will do better, and the realistic changes (which are 70 percent of my platform, airmax will work with me on.

First off, 70% of your platform is unrealistic, not realistic. Secondly, you even admitted that the "leading points" of your platform were things you could not promise to fulfill--that were, in fact, unlikely to be achieved. That is not a realistic platform at all.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Mikal
Posts: 11,270
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 8:04:23 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/7/2014 7:59:16 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 12/7/2014 6:52:24 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 12/7/2014 6:31:08 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 12/7/2014 4:13:40 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:

Mikal's ideas, contrary to what bsh1 said, are actually quite realistic. Mikal can work with other members in harmony, and can do the same with airmax. They already have a friendly relationship with eachother, hence the famous "rap battle compliments" airmax and Mikal did. It is undeniable that airmax can work in harmony with both of the leading candidates. But when Mikal and airmax work together, it is pretty much guaranteed they will both attempt to implement Mikal's guidelines.

Dylan--Airmax is diametrically opposed to nearly every change to modding that Mikal wants to make. Airmax is not going to budge on those issues, and so those portions of Mikal's platform that require Airmax's support will fail. As for those parts that require Juggle's involvement, Airmax is not Juggle. Juggle is not interested--as Mikal admits--in working on DDO, so--by Mikal's own admission--those parts of his platform are highly unrealistic too.

Seriously--only two things Mikal promised are things he can actually do by himself without approval from someone else. And, those two things are things Blade has already done well and that it is unlikely Mikal could do better on.

I can and will do better, and the realistic changes (which are 70 percent of my platform, airmax will work with me on.

First off, 70% of your platform is unrealistic, not realistic. Secondly, you even admitted that the "leading points" of your platform were things you could not promise to fulfill--that were, in fact, unlikely to be achieved. That is not a realistic platform at all.

You have it reversed mate. Two of my leading contentions are unrealistc for anyone in general to try to implement because it requires juggle to help, and they seem to not want to help a lot lately. I can however push for it. That is just two points

That is not addressing voting incentives, debates of the week, fan fics of the week, working on the front page (which is manageable) , increasing tournament efforts, having people sub mod forums and report votes , having people help report stuff in the polls section so moderation gets it faster. There are a whole lot of realistic expectations that i can and will acheive. You can't cherry pick two points and say that is 70 percent of the platform

2/10 is still 80 percent in favor of what I can do, no matter how you do the math, no matter how major the goal is. Granted you need to extend the same courtesy to every president. Eddie and TUF together managed to get one change in both their terms which is a gender option, I am sure that will not change no matter who gets in office. That was also out of their control as it will be mine. I do however have the dedication and desire to make practical changes for the betterment of the site and will do so.
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 8:24:30 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/7/2014 8:04:23 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 12/7/2014 7:59:16 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 12/7/2014 6:52:24 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 12/7/2014 6:31:08 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 12/7/2014 4:13:40 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:

Mikal's ideas, contrary to what bsh1 said, are actually quite realistic. Mikal can work with other members in harmony, and can do the same with airmax. They already have a friendly relationship with eachother, hence the famous "rap battle compliments" airmax and Mikal did. It is undeniable that airmax can work in harmony with both of the leading candidates. But when Mikal and airmax work together, it is pretty much guaranteed they will both attempt to implement Mikal's guidelines.

Dylan--Airmax is diametrically opposed to nearly every change to modding that Mikal wants to make. Airmax is not going to budge on those issues, and so those portions of Mikal's platform that require Airmax's support will fail. As for those parts that require Juggle's involvement, Airmax is not Juggle. Juggle is not interested--as Mikal admits--in working on DDO, so--by Mikal's own admission--those parts of his platform are highly unrealistic too.

Seriously--only two things Mikal promised are things he can actually do by himself without approval from someone else. And, those two things are things Blade has already done well and that it is unlikely Mikal could do better on.

I can and will do better, and the realistic changes (which are 70 percent of my platform, airmax will work with me on.

First off, 70% of your platform is unrealistic, not realistic. Secondly, you even admitted that the "leading points" of your platform were things you could not promise to fulfill--that were, in fact, unlikely to be achieved. That is not a realistic platform at all.

You have it reversed mate. Two of my leading contentions are unrealistc for anyone in general to try to implement because it requires juggle to help, and they seem to not want to help a lot lately. I can however push for it. That is just two points

You described those two points as your "leading points." So, you cannot achieve what you say are your most important goals.

That is not addressing voting incentives, debates of the week, fan fics of the week,

I am lumping these together because they are basically just rewarding community members.

working on the front page (which is manageable)

It isn't manageable. I bet $100 real-life dollars Juggle won't even do that.

increasing tournament efforts

You won't top what Blade and I did without the harms I've mentioned.

having people sub mod forums

This just isn't going to happen either.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Mikal
Posts: 11,270
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 8:28:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/7/2014 8:24:30 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 12/7/2014 8:04:23 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 12/7/2014 7:59:16 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 12/7/2014 6:52:24 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 12/7/2014 6:31:08 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 12/7/2014 4:13:40 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:

Mikal's ideas, contrary to what bsh1 said, are actually quite realistic. Mikal can work with other members in harmony, and can do the same with airmax. They already have a friendly relationship with eachother, hence the famous "rap battle compliments" airmax and Mikal did. It is undeniable that airmax can work in harmony with both of the leading candidates. But when Mikal and airmax work together, it is pretty much guaranteed they will both attempt to implement Mikal's guidelines.

Dylan--Airmax is diametrically opposed to nearly every change to modding that Mikal wants to make. Airmax is not going to budge on those issues, and so those portions of Mikal's platform that require Airmax's support will fail. As for those parts that require Juggle's involvement, Airmax is not Juggle. Juggle is not interested--as Mikal admits--in working on DDO, so--by Mikal's own admission--those parts of his platform are highly unrealistic too.

Seriously--only two things Mikal promised are things he can actually do by himself without approval from someone else. And, those two things are things Blade has already done well and that it is unlikely Mikal could do better on.

I can and will do better, and the realistic changes (which are 70 percent of my platform, airmax will work with me on.

First off, 70% of your platform is unrealistic, not realistic. Secondly, you even admitted that the "leading points" of your platform were things you could not promise to fulfill--that were, in fact, unlikely to be achieved. That is not a realistic platform at all.

You have it reversed mate. Two of my leading contentions are unrealistc for anyone in general to try to implement because it requires juggle to help, and they seem to not want to help a lot lately. I can however push for it. That is just two points

You described those two points as your "leading points." So, you cannot achieve what you say are your most important goals.

That is not addressing voting incentives, debates of the week, fan fics of the week,

I am lumping these together because they are basically just rewarding community members.

working on the front page (which is manageable)

It isn't manageable. I bet $100 real-life dollars Juggle won't even do that.

increasing tournament efforts

You won't top what Blade and I did without the harms I've mentioned.

having people sub mod forums

This just isn't going to happen either.

You are free to read here when ever you want :)

http://www.debate.org...

Goes into detail about what is realistic and what is not and the expansion of some of my platform goals. A platform goal my be (1) and then expand out into (a)(b)(c).

They may not change it, but that is true of whoever in office( Granted i trust my persistence more). If it were false Eddie would have got updates done. Nothing has happened in forever, so they are obviously not willing to work with anyone as of late, not even airmax. Me being a president will have little to no effect on that.
dtaylor971
Posts: 1,907
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 9:09:25 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/7/2014 8:24:30 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 12/7/2014 8:04:23 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 12/7/2014 7:59:16 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 12/7/2014 6:52:24 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 12/7/2014 6:31:08 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 12/7/2014 4:13:40 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:

Mikal's ideas, contrary to what bsh1 said, are actually quite realistic. Mikal can work with other members in harmony, and can do the same with airmax. They already have a friendly relationship with eachother, hence the famous "rap battle compliments" airmax and Mikal did. It is undeniable that airmax can work in harmony with both of the leading candidates. But when Mikal and airmax work together, it is pretty much guaranteed they will both attempt to implement Mikal's guidelines.

Dylan--Airmax is diametrically opposed to nearly every change to modding that Mikal wants to make. Airmax is not going to budge on those issues, and so those portions of Mikal's platform that require Airmax's support will fail. As for those parts that require Juggle's involvement, Airmax is not Juggle. Juggle is not interested--as Mikal admits--in working on DDO, so--by Mikal's own admission--those parts of his platform are highly unrealistic too.

Seriously--only two things Mikal promised are things he can actually do by himself without approval from someone else. And, those two things are things Blade has already done well and that it is unlikely Mikal could do better on.

I can and will do better, and the realistic changes (which are 70 percent of my platform, airmax will work with me on.

First off, 70% of your platform is unrealistic, not realistic. Secondly, you even admitted that the "leading points" of your platform were things you could not promise to fulfill--that were, in fact, unlikely to be achieved. That is not a realistic platform at all.

You have it reversed mate. Two of my leading contentions are unrealistc for anyone in general to try to implement because it requires juggle to help, and they seem to not want to help a lot lately. I can however push for it. That is just two points

You described those two points as your "leading points." So, you cannot achieve what you say are your most important goals.

That is not addressing voting incentives, debates of the week, fan fics of the week,

I am lumping these together because they are basically just rewarding community members.

working on the front page (which is manageable)

It isn't manageable. I bet $100 real-life dollars Juggle won't even do that.

increasing tournament efforts

You won't top what Blade and I did without the harms I've mentioned.

having people sub mod forums

This just isn't going to happen either.

Bsh1, have at least some faith in Mikal. You're shooting all his ideas down without even giving him a chance. His supporters are being quite vocal for him, and he is trying very, very hard to get elected. He is showing the more devotion to the site than I have ever seen.
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 9:10:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/7/2014 9:09:25 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:

Bsh1, have at least some faith in Mikal. You're shooting all his ideas down without even giving him a chance. His supporters are being quite vocal for him, and he is trying very, very hard to get elected. He is showing the more devotion to the site than I have ever seen.

I am not questioning Mikal's dedication, but rather his follow-through capacity.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Posts: 21,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 1:24:26 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/7/2014 9:16:33 PM, komododragon8 wrote:
Whens the election?

Friday

(also bump)
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
komododragon8
Posts: 405
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 1:27:36 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/10/2014 1:24:26 AM, imabench wrote:
At 12/7/2014 9:16:33 PM, komododragon8 wrote:
Whens the election?

Friday
k thanks
(also bump)
whats bump mean?
Mikal
Posts: 11,270
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 1:28:20 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/10/2014 1:27:36 AM, komododragon8 wrote:
At 12/10/2014 1:24:26 AM, imabench wrote:
At 12/7/2014 9:16:33 PM, komododragon8 wrote:
Whens the election?

Friday
k thanks
(also bump)
whats bump mean?

kick it to the top of the page
komododragon8
Posts: 405
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 1:35:01 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/10/2014 1:28:20 AM, Mikal wrote:
At 12/10/2014 1:27:36 AM, komododragon8 wrote:
At 12/10/2014 1:24:26 AM, imabench wrote:
At 12/7/2014 9:16:33 PM, komododragon8 wrote:
Whens the election?

Friday
k thanks
(also bump)
whats bump mean?

kick it to the top of the page

My apologies but I dont really know much about the forums, so am I supposed to click a button or something?
Mikal
Posts: 11,270
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 1:36:00 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/10/2014 1:35:01 AM, komododragon8 wrote:
At 12/10/2014 1:28:20 AM, Mikal wrote:
At 12/10/2014 1:27:36 AM, komododragon8 wrote:
At 12/10/2014 1:24:26 AM, imabench wrote:
At 12/7/2014 9:16:33 PM, komododragon8 wrote:
Whens the election?

Friday
k thanks
(also bump)
whats bump mean?

kick it to the top of the page

My apologies but I dont really know much about the forums, so am I supposed to click a button or something?

not at all xD

bumping means if you post it goes to the top of the page. IT shows up as the last thing posted so more people see it etc and so forth
komododragon8
Posts: 405
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 1:37:07 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/10/2014 1:36:00 AM, Mikal wrote:
At 12/10/2014 1:35:01 AM, komododragon8 wrote:
At 12/10/2014 1:28:20 AM, Mikal wrote:
At 12/10/2014 1:27:36 AM, komododragon8 wrote:
At 12/10/2014 1:24:26 AM, imabench wrote:
At 12/7/2014 9:16:33 PM, komododragon8 wrote:
Whens the election?

Friday
k thanks
(also bump)
whats bump mean?

kick it to the top of the page

My apologies but I dont really know much about the forums, so am I supposed to click a button or something?

not at all xD

bumping means if you post it goes to the top of the page. IT shows up as the last thing posted so more people see it etc and so forth

Ohhh ok :D
numberwang
Posts: 1,917
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 2:06:03 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/7/2014 8:28:20 PM, Mikal wrote:

Sorry if I missed it, but what exactly do you intend to change about the front page? I don't remember seeing the intended changes in your platform. What does Mikal's front page look like?
Mikal
Posts: 11,270
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 2:13:53 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/10/2014 2:06:03 AM, numberwang wrote:
At 12/7/2014 8:28:20 PM, Mikal wrote:

Sorry if I missed it, but what exactly do you intend to change about the front page? I don't remember seeing the intended changes in your platform. What does Mikal's front page look like?

If it were to be implemented *note* this is a long shot. I would want to re work the critera entirely. When I say change, I mean the layout will be the same but the material on it wont be pased on the number of comments, votes, etc that allows crappy stuff to show up there

I think it should go off likes, views, comments, etc so that you can mitigate the amount of filth on it and try to keep traction with good debates. It also stops people from spamming comments to bump debates there
numberwang
Posts: 1,917
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 2:16:10 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/10/2014 2:13:53 AM, Mikal wrote:
At 12/10/2014 2:06:03 AM, numberwang wrote:
At 12/7/2014 8:28:20 PM, Mikal wrote:

Sorry if I missed it, but what exactly do you intend to change about the front page? I don't remember seeing the intended changes in your platform. What does Mikal's front page look like?

If it were to be implemented *note* this is a long shot. I would want to re work the critera entirely. When I say change, I mean the layout will be the same but the material on it wont be pased on the number of comments, votes, etc that allows crappy stuff to show up there

I think it should go off likes, views, comments, etc so that you can mitigate the amount of filth on it and try to keep traction with good debates. It also stops people from spamming comments to bump debates there

So the criteria that put debates/forum posts on the front page now would just be lower priority on the list? And it wouldn't in any way affect the polls/opinion section?
Mikal
Posts: 11,270
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 2:17:45 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/10/2014 2:16:10 AM, numberwang wrote:
At 12/10/2014 2:13:53 AM, Mikal wrote:
At 12/10/2014 2:06:03 AM, numberwang wrote:
At 12/7/2014 8:28:20 PM, Mikal wrote:

Sorry if I missed it, but what exactly do you intend to change about the front page? I don't remember seeing the intended changes in your platform. What does Mikal's front page look like?

If it were to be implemented *note* this is a long shot. I would want to re work the critera entirely. When I say change, I mean the layout will be the same but the material on it wont be pased on the number of comments, votes, etc that allows crappy stuff to show up there

I think it should go off likes, views, comments, etc so that you can mitigate the amount of filth on it and try to keep traction with good debates. It also stops people from spamming comments to bump debates there

So the criteria that put debates/forum posts on the front page now would just be lower priority on the list? And it wouldn't in any way affect the polls/opinion section?

that was the criteria for debate, if and when juggle decides to do it (if and when) Its a long shot as I stated like 1000 times lol. I would post a forum saying this is the outline, and let the user base of DDO work out an idea they like and what could work to keep good material on there with me working with them before i pitch it back to juggle.

The basic idea I had for polls and ops was to add a upvote button that would determine if it showed up or not
YYW
Posts: 36,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 10:35:52 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/7/2014 9:10:33 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 12/7/2014 9:09:25 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:

Bsh1, have at least some faith in Mikal. You're shooting all his ideas down without even giving him a chance. His supporters are being quite vocal for him, and he is trying very, very hard to get elected. He is showing the more devotion to the site than I have ever seen.

I am not questioning Mikal's dedication, but rather his follow-through capacity.

I think that's not really a fair criticism. The reason it's not a fair criticism is because if Mikal were the kind of guy who didn't put a lot of effort into things, his ELO would not be 9,000. That in and of itself sort of stands in opposition to the concern about his follow-through capacity.

And on the subject of follow-through capacity, while Cermank is busy talking about how impossible it is to work with Juggle, Mikal's interest here is in figuring out how to get stuff done. That's why when the peacekeeper idea came across my desk, and I suggested it to him, he jumped on it because it was a good idea, and it was a good idea for the community.

Now, that's not to say that the peacekeeper thing is a political tool for us. It's not. It's rather an indication of how when the community comes to Mikal (even if he's had disagreements with the particular member proposing the idea), the idea's going to get evaluated on the basis of its merits. That's exactly what a president should be doing.

I think that here, especially, we have the opportunity to really make some headway in this next presidential term. Unique challenges are ahead, and Mikal's the guy with the attitude to make those changes come to fruition. Even Blade's Vice President is unconvinced that anything can be accomplished; it's more of "But... but... but..... this is our of our control!"

What matters here is taking charge of a situation. That doesn't mean alienating people and making them feel bad, but reaching out and being heard. Between Mikal and Aaron, I see that happening with his election.
Tsar of DDO
Cermank
Posts: 3,773
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 1:49:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/10/2014 10:35:52 AM, YYW wrote:
I think that here, especially, we have the opportunity to really make some headway in this next presidential term. Unique challenges are ahead, and Mikal's the guy with the attitude to make those changes come to fruition. Even Blade's Vice President is unconvinced that anything can be accomplished; it's more of "But... but... but..... this is our of our control!"

Mikal: "Juggle is completely and 100 percent a wall. The president link at the bottom of the page is still not been updated. Do you really think that juggle will be active with anyone that is in office."

Mikal: "If you wanted to frame it properly, it would be soemthing like this. The chance to get juggle to respond and help with anything is 1 percent, at most with bench running as my VP , that would change to .5."

Seriously, YYW. I understand why you're doing what you're doing, but you don't need to strawman my position. The fact that a majority of issues mikal is extending are not in our hand is the *truth*, even mikal accepts it.

I stayed on the site was because I loved the discussions, not because of the juggle-president-bureaucracy drama. The concerns about his presidency are legit, and we have extended those concerns without any mudslinging.

This is a debate site, on-site juggle-president-mod drama isn't what's going to bring a better more vibrant community. The reason our campaign focuses on the community aspect *is* because that is what is the most important thing here. More user engagement = better site experience. We would love to have front page changes and more default profile pics and everything, but ultimately- people stay here because they love the community.

I don't know why you're imposing such a hercules persona on the president when even the former president who took pretty much the same approach mikal admin is taking regarding the site changes agrees they should have focussed more on the community aspect. That's the experience talking right there.

Being difficult to achieve =/= most desirable thing on the site
Mikal
Posts: 11,270
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 2:12:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/10/2014 1:49:47 PM, Cermank wrote:
At 12/10/2014 10:35:52 AM, YYW wrote:
I think that here, especially, we have the opportunity to really make some headway in this next presidential term. Unique challenges are ahead, and Mikal's the guy with the attitude to make those changes come to fruition. Even Blade's Vice President is unconvinced that anything can be accomplished; it's more of "But... but... but..... this is our of our control!"

Mikal: "Juggle is completely and 100 percent a wall. The president link at the bottom of the page is still not been updated. Do you really think that juggle will be active with anyone that is in office."

Mikal: "If you wanted to frame it properly, it would be soemthing like this. The chance to get juggle to respond and help with anything is 1 percent, at most with bench running as my VP , that would change to .5."


Seriously, YYW. I understand why you're doing what you're doing, but you don't need to strawman my position. The fact that a majority of issues mikal is extending are not in our hand is the *truth*, even mikal accepts it.

I stayed on the site was because I loved the discussions, not because of the juggle-president-bureaucracy drama. The concerns about his presidency are legit, and we have extended those concerns without any mudslinging.

That is also quoting him out of context and misrepresenting the change hes implying. Even outside of what he did with juggle, i'm sure he could find things that were dropped. Updates, tournies, etc. Again that is not putting all the fault on blade, but that is saying some things were dropped or did not get finished. Whether it be because of the people running (apart from eddie), or because of him. Promises are promises right?


This is a debate site, on-site juggle-president-mod drama isn't what's going to bring a better more vibrant community. The reason our campaign focuses on the community aspect *is* because that is what is the most important thing here. More user engagement = better site experience. We would love to have front page changes and more default profile pics and everything, but ultimately- people stay here because they love the community.

Juggle Mod president drama won't happen. Your taking a shake the boat quote as "drama" and applying it to "i'm not pragmatic". I can be pragmatic if im required to but im also not scared to ask juggle for thinks or let them remain content about how the site. They need to know we won't more. Not asking them for stuff because your are scared to shake the boat is as likely or less likely to change things, than shaking it.

I don't know why you're imposing such a hercules persona on the president when even the former president who took pretty much the same approach mikal admin is taking regarding the site changes agrees they should have focussed more on the community aspect. That's the experience talking right there.

Being difficult to achieve =/= most desirable thing on the site

Some of the most desirable thing on the site are difficult to achieve. If i posted a forum right now and asked what does the site need to change, I would be willing to bet that nearly 90 percent of the answers are going to require juggle to do it. If you dont want to ask or push them about things, updates won't happen. In that regard being pragmatic is summed up with, not wanting to actually ask juggle for things to get done because you are scared they will get annoyed and not do anything. That is the same outcome regardless of its framed. You can either ignore them and hope they do it on their own or push them and get them pissed and they wont don it. That is the argument that is stemming from this and its more of a dammed if you do, dammed if you don't kind of thing. I think that is false as is though. If you are willing to push them, and actually show them that the site needs change. Even if it requires "rocking the boat", they would be willing to change it. They just need to see that the change is in in their best interest. That I can do as well, along with implement realistic goals that can be achieved without them. It's a win win situation.
Mikal
Posts: 11,270
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 2:14:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/10/2014 2:12:45 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 12/10/2014 1:49:47 PM, Cermank wrote:
At 12/10/2014 10:35:52 AM, YYW wrote:
I think that here, especially, we have the opportunity to really make some headway in this next presidential term. Unique challenges are ahead, and Mikal's the guy with the attitude to make those changes come to fruition. Even Blade's Vice President is unconvinced that anything can be accomplished; it's more of "But... but... but..... this is our of our control!"

Mikal: "Juggle is completely and 100 percent a wall. The president link at the bottom of the page is still not been updated. Do you really think that juggle will be active with anyone that is in office."

Mikal: "If you wanted to frame it properly, it would be soemthing like this. The chance to get juggle to respond and help with anything is 1 percent, at most with bench running as my VP , that would change to .5."


Seriously, YYW. I understand why you're doing what you're doing, but you don't need to strawman my position. The fact that a majority of issues mikal is extending are not in our hand is the *truth*, even mikal accepts it.

I stayed on the site was because I loved the discussions, not because of the juggle-president-bureaucracy drama. The concerns about his presidency are legit, and we have extended those concerns without any mudslinging.

That is also quoting him out of context and misrepresenting the change hes implying. Even outside of what he did with juggle, i'm sure he could find things that were dropped. Updates, tournies, etc. Again that is not putting all the fault on blade, but that is saying some things were dropped or did not get finished. Whether it be because of the people running (apart from eddie), or because of him. Promises are promises right?



This is a debate site, on-site juggle-president-mod drama isn't what's going to bring a better more vibrant community. The reason our campaign focuses on the community aspect *is* because that is what is the most important thing here. More user engagement = better site experience. We would love to have front page changes and more default profile pics and everything, but ultimately- people stay here because they love the community.

Juggle Mod president drama won't happen. Your taking a shake the boat quote as "drama" and applying it to "i'm not pragmatic". I can be pragmatic if im required to but im also not scared to ask juggle for thinks or let them remain content about how the site is. They need to know we want more. Not asking them for stuff because your are scared to shake the boat is as likely or less likely to change things, than shaking it.

*fixed

I don't know why you're imposing such a hercules persona on the president when even the former president who took pretty much the same approach mikal admin is taking regarding the site changes agrees they should have focussed more on the community aspect. That's the experience talking right there.

Being difficult to achieve =/= most desirable thing on the site

Some of the most desirable thing on the site are difficult to achieve. If i posted a forum right now and asked what does the site need to change, I would be willing to bet that nearly 90 percent of the answers are going to require juggle to do it. If you dont want to ask or push them about things, updates won't happen. In that regard being pragmatic is summed up with, not wanting to actually ask juggle for things to get done because you are scared they will get annoyed and not do anything. That is the same outcome regardless of its framed. You can either ignore them and hope they do it on their own or push them and get them pissed and they wont don it. That is the argument that is stemming from this and its more of a dammed if you do, dammed if you don't kind of thing. I think that is false as is though. If you are willing to push them, and actually show them that the site needs change. Even if it requires "rocking the boat", they would be willing to change it. They just need to see that the change is in in their best interest. That I can do as well, along with implement realistic goals that can be achieved without them. It's a win win situation.
YYW
Posts: 36,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 2:19:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/10/2014 10:35:52 AM, YYW wrote:
At 12/7/2014 9:10:33 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 12/7/2014 9:09:25 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:

Bsh1, have at least some faith in Mikal. You're shooting all his ideas down without even giving him a chance. His supporters are being quite vocal for him, and he is trying very, very hard to get elected. He is showing the more devotion to the site than I have ever seen.

I am not questioning Mikal's dedication, but rather his follow-through capacity.

I think that's not really a fair criticism. The reason it's not a fair criticism is because if Mikal were the kind of guy who didn't put a lot of effort into things, his ELO would not be 9,000. That in and of itself sort of stands in opposition to the concern about his follow-through capacity.

And on the subject of follow-through capacity, while Cermank is busy talking about how impossible it is to work with Juggle, Mikal's interest here is in figuring out how to get stuff done. That's why when the peacekeeper idea came across my desk, and I suggested it to him, he jumped on it because it was a good idea, and it was a good idea for the community.

Now, that's not to say that the peacekeeper thing is a political tool for us. It's not. It's rather an indication of how when the community comes to Mikal (even if he's had disagreements with the particular member proposing the idea), the idea's going to get evaluated on the basis of its merits. That's exactly what a president should be doing.

I think that here, especially, we have the opportunity to really make some headway in this next presidential term. Unique challenges are ahead, and Mikal's the guy with the attitude to make those changes come to fruition. Even Blade's Vice President is unconvinced that anything can be accomplished; it's more of "But... but... but..... this is our of our control!"

What matters here is taking charge of a situation. That doesn't mean alienating people and making them feel bad, but reaching out and being heard. Between Mikal and Aaron, I see that happening with his election.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 3:07:58 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/10/2014 1:49:47 PM, Cermank wrote:
At 12/10/2014 10:35:52 AM, YYW wrote:
I think that here, especially, we have the opportunity to really make some headway in this next presidential term. Unique challenges are ahead, and Mikal's the guy with the attitude to make those changes come to fruition. Even Blade's Vice President is unconvinced that anything can be accomplished; it's more of "But... but... but..... this is our of our control!"

Seriously, YYW. I understand why you're doing what you're doing, but you don't need to strawman my position.

Your position is basically this: "Juggle has all but abandoned the site, and this has been going on for some time. But trust me, even though I've already conceded that it's out of my control, I am going to assure you now that it's not because I know I'll lose this election if I don't!"

That's nonsense, and it's contradictory nonsense at that.

Your position goes on to say: "Even though I've already conceded that Juggle has abandoned DDO on Bladerunner's watch, I am totally right that they will continue to abandon it because of Mikal's personality!"

That's nonsense too, and here's why: If Juggle were abandoning the site on the basis of personality, why would they have done it on Blade's watch? Blade is a really nice guy, after all. It seems like there is more going on. I'm just going based on what you've said here in the forums, though.

But even still, discounting the nonsense you've implied about Mikal, I see absolutely no reason why the status quo with Juggle will change because of anything you guys could do. If Juggle wants to start to commit resources to DDO, they're going to do that because they think it's in their interests to do so. Mikal and Bluesteel will be able to appeal to them, to that end.

It's not that Blade would be incapable either, but Blade is already committing most of his resources to other things (like the religion forum) which he can continue to do after the election. So, his resources won't be wasted by electing Mikal, and we'll have a better shot of reaching out to Juggle at the same time.

I also know you have a really inaccurate impression of why Juggle does stuff. They're not petty and fickle high school students who don't talk to people because they don't like them. They're reasonable business people. You're basically saying that they're going to act like the "mean girls" to DDO if Mikal is elected. That's absurdity, and it basically is representative of how totally off base your perception of Juggle is.

That's the experience talking right there.

Experience... from what? Your personal working relationship with Juggle? Your service in past presidential administrations? Your being privy to what actually goes on in the administration of this site beyond what (apparently little) you've been told in the course of this campaign?

I don't mean to be blunt, but I think that it's important to keep this in perspective:

Blade is the only guy on your ticket that has actual experience working here, and he's barely been able to get Juggle to answer emails. I'm not saying that that's his fault, per se, so much as it's an indication of problems -and it's a piece of evidence that directly contradicts your belief that Mikal would cause Juggle to abandon the site -because Juggle already has, for all practical measures ...and then you imply that Mikal will ruin the site if he's elected.

-----------------------

But all that unpleasantness aside, I like you guys, and I think that Blade will do a good job if elected. I think that because he's had a moderately successful presidency and he's been good in the capacity that he's had. But, I think Mikal might be better, which is why I'm voting for him.

I understand that you have some reservations about Mikal, but that doesn't mean that you're right. It means that you're making an assessment about what he will be like in office based on some prior interactions he had with other members a while back. That's not only unfair because it totally distorts the impetus of this election, it's unfair because it fails to account for the fact that none of the issues you've cited have happened in recent memory.

You're grave digging here to find mud to sling... and I understand that that's what loyal minions do when their leader is being criticized, but that doesn't mean that there is credence to anything you're saying.
Tsar of DDO
dtaylor971
Posts: 1,907
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 3:09:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/10/2014 1:49:47 PM, Cermank wrote:
At 12/10/2014 10:35:52 AM, YYW wrote:
I think that here, especially, we have the opportunity to really make some headway in this next presidential term. Unique challenges are ahead, and Mikal's the guy with the attitude to make those changes come to fruition. Even Blade's Vice President is unconvinced that anything can be accomplished; it's more of "But... but... but..... this is our of our control!"

Mikal: "Juggle is completely and 100 percent a wall. The president link at the bottom of the page is still not been updated. Do you really think that juggle will be active with anyone that is in office."

Mikal: "If you wanted to frame it properly, it would be soemthing like this. The chance to get juggle to respond and help with anything is 1 percent, at most with bench running as my VP , that would change to .5."

Seriously, YYW. I understand why you're doing what you're doing, but you don't need to strawman my position. The fact that a majority of issues mikal is extending are not in our hand is the *truth*, even mikal accepts it.

I stayed on the site was because I loved the discussions, not because of the juggle-president-bureaucracy drama. The concerns about his presidency are legit, and we have extended those concerns without any mudslinging.

This is a debate site, on-site juggle-president-mod drama isn't what's going to bring a better more vibrant community. The reason our campaign focuses on the community aspect *is* because that is what is the most important thing here. More user engagement = better site experience. We would love to have front page changes and more default profile pics and everything, but ultimately- people stay here because they love the community.

I don't know why you're imposing such a hercules persona on the president when even the former president who took pretty much the same approach mikal admin is taking regarding the site changes agrees they should have focussed more on the community aspect. That's the experience talking right there.

Being difficult to achieve =/= most desirable thing on the site

How about, instead of criticizing Mikal, go work on your own platform? All you're really doing is criticizing and criticizing. What will really win the election is if you get your voters to be vocal (like Mikal's are).
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite