Total Posts:41|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Why you shouldn't make support threads

1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 4:34:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Here's why you should not make a support thread:

I. Some people are indecisive:

Now, you may think this is exactly why someone might make a support thread. However, I look at it differently.

If people are undecided, they might just listen to the people they like more. We should not have voters make their decision because their friends or someone they respect is voting for a certain candidate.

To the voters: do not let other people influence you, only the proposals given from the respective candidates.

II. It can stir up needless drama: this activity is in poor taste

I can see who you're voting for by your posts in threads that were made by candidates. Showing a bias towards a candidate is one thing. But making a thread about why you're not voting for someone is, in my opinion, outright disrespect.

These candidates care equally about improving the quality of the site. That's what the position is for. So calling them out for unrelated matters (which has been used by supporters of both platforms) in an attempt to discredit the other is not proper conduct, in my honest opinion.

III. There is still plenty of time until the election

5 days, I believe...That is plenty of time to update platforms, introduce things that haven't been yet introduced, etc. I believe people shouldn't be making their decision prematurely.

---

Just my thoughts.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 5:41:02 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Bump
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Subutai
Posts: 3,198
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 5:44:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
When did DDO become a political site? All other elections have had a strong, far-in-front contender that wins, with a much less-supported second candidate, followed by a few joke or nieve candidates. This election, DDO has exploded with election fever. It's just the DDO presidency guys. As has been said many times, you guys don't have as much power to change things as you think you do. It's fine to campaign to win, but this is getting too far out of hand. 90% of the front page of the DDO forum is election-related.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 5:45:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/7/2014 5:44:11 PM, Subutai wrote:
When did DDO become a political site? All other elections have had a strong, far-in-front contender that wins, with a much less-supported second candidate, followed by a few joke or nieve candidates. This election, DDO has exploded with election fever. It's just the DDO presidency guys. As has been said many times, you guys don't have as much power to change things as you think you do. It's fine to campaign to win, but this is getting too far out of hand. 90% of the front page of the DDO forum is election-related.

The president should have more power.
Subutai
Posts: 3,198
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 5:45:51 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/7/2014 5:45:09 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 12/7/2014 5:44:11 PM, Subutai wrote:
When did DDO become a political site? All other elections have had a strong, far-in-front contender that wins, with a much less-supported second candidate, followed by a few joke or nieve candidates. This election, DDO has exploded with election fever. It's just the DDO presidency guys. As has been said many times, you guys don't have as much power to change things as you think you do. It's fine to campaign to win, but this is getting too far out of hand. 90% of the front page of the DDO forum is election-related.

The president should have more power.

That's really Juggle's and Arimax's decision. The presidents can't campaign to give themselves more power.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 5:47:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
inb4 support threads for this thread
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
imabench
Posts: 21,216
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 5:48:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/7/2014 5:44:11 PM, Subutai wrote:
When did DDO become a political site? All other elections have had a strong, far-in-front contender that wins, with a much less-supported second candidate, followed by a few joke or nieve candidates. This election, DDO has exploded with election fever. It's just the DDO presidency guys. As has been said many times, you guys don't have as much power to change things as you think you do. It's fine to campaign to win, but this is getting too far out of hand. 90% of the front page of the DDO forum is election-related.

oh relax, I remember back when election season on DDO used to be stretched into 3 months because some crazy-ambitious lunatic would announce his campaign mega early... This season didnt start until like a week ago, and the election is Friday which brings the total to about 2 weeks.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Subutai
Posts: 3,198
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 5:50:17 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/7/2014 5:48:11 PM, imabench wrote:
At 12/7/2014 5:44:11 PM, Subutai wrote:
When did DDO become a political site? All other elections have had a strong, far-in-front contender that wins, with a much less-supported second candidate, followed by a few joke or nieve candidates. This election, DDO has exploded with election fever. It's just the DDO presidency guys. As has been said many times, you guys don't have as much power to change things as you think you do. It's fine to campaign to win, but this is getting too far out of hand. 90% of the front page of the DDO forum is election-related.

oh relax, I remember back when election season on DDO used to be stretched into 3 months because some crazy-ambitious lunatic would announce his campaign mega early... This season didnt start until like a week ago, and the election is Friday which brings the total to about 2 weeks.

I don't know what's worse - one thread per week for three months, or 10 threads per day for two week. It just seems much more intense and close than it's ever been. Airmax's three campaigns were virtually uncontended, and TUF and Blade's first run didn't have a coordinated second contender.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
Mikal
Posts: 11,270
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 5:52:55 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/7/2014 5:44:11 PM, Subutai wrote:
When did DDO become a political site? All other elections have had a strong, far-in-front contender that wins, with a much less-supported second candidate, followed by a few joke or nieve candidates. This election, DDO has exploded with election fever. It's just the DDO presidency guys. As has been said many times, you guys don't have as much power to change things as you think you do. It's fine to campaign to win, but this is getting too far out of hand. 90% of the front page of the DDO forum is election-related.

I hope you don't take this as a negative remark, but I feel that someone in blades administration should have more optimism about changing the site. If you are going into his admin with the attitude that he cannot change it or no president can, why go into it at all.

Sure we can't change the actual outlook on the site but we can implement ideas that will better DDO and increase site activity and quality. Every president is limited to what they can do, but tapping out before you go in is a bad outlook to have
imabench
Posts: 21,216
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 5:56:54 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/7/2014 5:50:17 PM, Subutai wrote:
At 12/7/2014 5:48:11 PM, imabench wrote:
At 12/7/2014 5:44:11 PM, Subutai wrote:
When did DDO become a political site? All other elections have had a strong, far-in-front contender that wins, with a much less-supported second candidate, followed by a few joke or nieve candidates. This election, DDO has exploded with election fever. It's just the DDO presidency guys. As has been said many times, you guys don't have as much power to change things as you think you do. It's fine to campaign to win, but this is getting too far out of hand. 90% of the front page of the DDO forum is election-related.

oh relax, I remember back when election season on DDO used to be stretched into 3 months because some crazy-ambitious lunatic would announce his campaign mega early... This season didnt start until like a week ago, and the election is Friday which brings the total to about 2 weeks.

I don't know what's worse - one thread per week for three months, or 10 threads per day for two week. It just seems much more intense and close than it's ever been. Airmax's three campaigns were virtually uncontended, and TUF and Blade's first run didn't have a coordinated second contender.

^ Well there's your reason right there. We havent really had a race where there were two equally electable candidates before.... At least not in recent memory.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 6:03:54 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Harder, the idea that people can be influenced just by the fact that someone supports a candidate doesn't diminish my right to express support for a campaign. Frankly, as long as I justify my opinion with analysis. It is the analysis there that matters.

Secondly, the idea that it incites drama is silly--every campaign posts could insight drama. This is an argument against campaigning in general, not support posts in particular. I am sure you wouldn't say that candidates cannot campaign.

Actually, there are only 5 days to the election. That isn't much time.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 6:06:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/7/2014 5:52:55 PM, Mikal wrote:

I hope you don't take this as a negative remark, but I feel that someone in blades administration should have more optimism about changing the site. If you are going into his admin with the attitude that he cannot change it or no president can, why go into it at all.

If you mean me, then just say me, and then we can discuss it.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 6:11:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/7/2014 6:03:54 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Harder, the idea that people can be influenced just by the fact that someone supports a candidate doesn't diminish my right to express support for a campaign. Frankly, as long as I justify my opinion with analysis. It is the analysis there that matters.

But saying that "Bench's actual commitment is not to the site" is not sensitive, or even correct, in my book: which furthers my distaste for those types of threads.

Secondly, the idea that it incites drama is silly--every campaign posts could insight drama. This is an argument against campaigning in general, not support posts in particular. I am sure you wouldn't say that candidates cannot campaign.

But a single person making a thread on why they think someone is unfit for a certain position is disrespectful, IMO. That's what I'm getting at.

Some people say Ima can't control himself, some say Blade has no ambition, some say Mirza (who isn't even VP or CoS) can't be put in a position for something he did 4 years ago...

Actually, there are only 5 days to the election. That isn't much time.

Well, considering that we have only been talking about this for a week, that's a lot of time.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Mikal
Posts: 11,270
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 6:12:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/7/2014 6:06:05 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 12/7/2014 5:52:55 PM, Mikal wrote:

I hope you don't take this as a negative remark, but I feel that someone in blades administration should have more optimism about changing the site. If you are going into his admin with the attitude that he cannot change it or no president can, why go into it at all.

If you mean me, then just say me, and then we can discuss it.

That was directly to mirza, not to you (hence why I responded to him). I literally stated the point I was making. He said that we basically can do nothing. That is false off hand. We have limited capabilities as far as implementing major site changes. We can make changes to the site that are in our power to make.

I was just pointing out that someone running in a elected office should have more optimism about the person he is supporting after he was elected by that person to help change the site
Mikal
Posts: 11,270
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 6:14:29 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/7/2014 6:06:05 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 12/7/2014 5:52:55 PM, Mikal wrote:

I hope you don't take this as a negative remark, but I feel that someone in blades administration should have more optimism about changing the site. If you are going into his admin with the attitude that he cannot change it or no president can, why go into it at all.

If you mean me, then just say me, and then we can discuss it.

Balls, For some reason my response had mirza, and that was subtai. No idea what my computer did , but in the top of the thing it had mirza listed. Im totally lost as to how mirzas name showed up on my screen. Granted the point still stands about change
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 6:21:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/7/2014 6:11:39 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 12/7/2014 6:03:54 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Harder, the idea that people can be influenced just by the fact that someone supports a candidate doesn't diminish my right to express support for a campaign. Frankly, as long as I justify my opinion with analysis. It is the analysis there that matters.

But saying that "Bench's actual commitment is not to the site" is not sensitive, or even correct, in my book: which furthers my distaste for those types of threads.

Secondly, the idea that it incites drama is silly--every campaign posts could insight drama. This is an argument against campaigning in general, not support posts in particular. I am sure you wouldn't say that candidates cannot campaign.

But a single person making a thread on why they think someone is unfit for a certain position is disrespectful, IMO. That's what I'm getting at.

I disagree, and, as with the earlier issue, I am more than happy to debate this via PM.

Actually, there are only 5 days to the election. That isn't much time.

Well, considering that we have only been talking about this for a week, that's a lot of time.

Not really...I mean, last cycle campaigning was over more than a month. This cycle is just more condensed.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 6:22:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/7/2014 6:14:29 PM, Mikal wrote:
Balls, For some reason my response had mirza, and that was subtai. No idea what my computer did , but in the top of the thing it had mirza listed. Im totally lost as to how mirzas name showed up on my screen. Granted the point still stands about change
I can perform magic, but nobody really believes me until my name shows up unexpectedly.
Mikal
Posts: 11,270
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 6:24:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/7/2014 6:11:39 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

I mostly agree with this entire assessment. I think you should attack someones campaign and ability to lead and not their character. Granted I think lannan was the one situation where that needed to be over ruled. That is also why I try to stay away from blade did not do this or that , or this tourney fell apart blah blah blah

I would just rather focus on how I can improve the site and let the voter base decide.
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 6:24:12 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/7/2014 6:21:47 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 12/7/2014 6:11:39 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 12/7/2014 6:03:54 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Harder, the idea that people can be influenced just by the fact that someone supports a candidate doesn't diminish my right to express support for a campaign. Frankly, as long as I justify my opinion with analysis. It is the analysis there that matters.

But saying that "Bench's actual commitment is not to the site" is not sensitive, or even correct, in my book: which furthers my distaste for those types of threads.

Secondly, the idea that it incites drama is silly--every campaign posts could insight drama. This is an argument against campaigning in general, not support posts in particular. I am sure you wouldn't say that candidates cannot campaign.

But a single person making a thread on why they think someone is unfit for a certain position is disrespectful, IMO. That's what I'm getting at.

I disagree, and, as with the earlier issue, I am more than happy to debate this via PM.

Actually, there are only 5 days to the election. That isn't much time.

Well, considering that we have only been talking about this for a week, that's a lot of time.

Not really...I mean, last cycle campaigning was over more than a month. This cycle is just more condensed.

That was last election...
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 6:25:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/7/2014 6:24:12 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 12/7/2014 6:21:47 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Not really...I mean, last cycle campaigning was over more than a month. This cycle is just more condensed.

That was last election...

My point is that, given a more limited time period, more will have to be said in a shorter window. 5 day ain't a lotta time.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 6:26:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/7/2014 6:25:39 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 12/7/2014 6:24:12 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 12/7/2014 6:21:47 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Not really...I mean, last cycle campaigning was over more than a month. This cycle is just more condensed.

That was last election...

My point is that, given a more limited time period, more will have to be said in a shorter window. 5 day ain't a lotta time.

It's enough.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 6:26:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/7/2014 6:22:50 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 12/7/2014 6:14:29 PM, Mikal wrote:
Balls, For some reason my response had mirza, and that was subtai. No idea what my computer did , but in the top of the thing it had mirza listed. Im totally lost as to how mirzas name showed up on my screen. Granted the point still stands about change
I can perform magic, but nobody really believes me until my name shows up unexpectedly.

Rofl...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 6:27:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/7/2014 6:26:15 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 12/7/2014 6:25:39 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 12/7/2014 6:24:12 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 12/7/2014 6:21:47 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Not really...I mean, last cycle campaigning was over more than a month. This cycle is just more condensed.

That was last election...

My point is that, given a more limited time period, more will have to be said in a shorter window. 5 day ain't a lotta time.

It's enough.

Maybe, but that doesn't change that fact that more posts will be put into a small window. You cannot deny that the post lending my support to Blade and Cermank lacked substance--even if you disagree with what I said, it was a substantive post.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 6:29:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/7/2014 6:27:27 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 12/7/2014 6:26:15 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 12/7/2014 6:25:39 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 12/7/2014 6:24:12 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 12/7/2014 6:21:47 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Not really...I mean, last cycle campaigning was over more than a month. This cycle is just more condensed.

That was last election...

My point is that, given a more limited time period, more will have to be said in a shorter window. 5 day ain't a lotta time.

It's enough.

Maybe, but that doesn't change that fact that more posts will be put into a small window. You cannot deny that the post lending my support to Blade and Cermank lacked substance--even if you disagree with what I said, it was a substantive post.

There have been 3 support threads. One was for Blade (you) and two have been for Mikal.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Mikal
Posts: 11,270
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 6:30:17 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/7/2014 6:22:50 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 12/7/2014 6:14:29 PM, Mikal wrote:
Balls, For some reason my response had mirza, and that was subtai. No idea what my computer did , but in the top of the thing it had mirza listed. Im totally lost as to how mirzas name showed up on my screen. Granted the point still stands about change
I can perform magic, but nobody really believes me until my name shows up unexpectedly.

Dude you have no idea how creepy that sht was

it literally had At (x,y,z) mirza

I was sitting there like WTF how am i talking to subtai now
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 6:31:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/7/2014 6:29:33 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 12/7/2014 6:27:27 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Maybe, but that doesn't change that fact that more posts will be put into a small window. You cannot deny that the post lending my support to Blade and Cermank lacked substance--even if you disagree with what I said, it was a substantive post.

There have been 3 support threads. One was for Blade (you) and two have been for Mikal.

Yes...and?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 6:34:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/7/2014 6:31:36 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 12/7/2014 6:29:33 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 12/7/2014 6:27:27 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Maybe, but that doesn't change that fact that more posts will be put into a small window. You cannot deny that the post lending my support to Blade and Cermank lacked substance--even if you disagree with what I said, it was a substantive post.

There have been 3 support threads. One was for Blade (you) and two have been for Mikal.

Yes...and?

I want voters to come to their decisions based on what the candidates say and propose, not what others think of them.

I'm not saying whether I agree or disagree with your stances.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 6:37:01 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/7/2014 6:34:03 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 12/7/2014 6:31:36 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 12/7/2014 6:29:33 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 12/7/2014 6:27:27 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Maybe, but that doesn't change that fact that more posts will be put into a small window. You cannot deny that the post lending my support to Blade and Cermank lacked substance--even if you disagree with what I said, it was a substantive post.

There have been 3 support threads. One was for Blade (you) and two have been for Mikal.

Yes...and?

I want voters to come to their decisions based on what the candidates say and propose, not what others think of them.

My analysis is substantive, Harder. If it makes a valid point about the campaign, I have a right to communicate it. We need to trust the voters to weigh these points and come to a decision on there own. But, unless you can show that my point was invalid or irrelevant to who would make a better president, I don't think you're going to be able to make a good case for me not posting it.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 6:38:55 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/7/2014 6:37:01 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 12/7/2014 6:34:03 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 12/7/2014 6:31:36 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 12/7/2014 6:29:33 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 12/7/2014 6:27:27 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Maybe, but that doesn't change that fact that more posts will be put into a small window. You cannot deny that the post lending my support to Blade and Cermank lacked substance--even if you disagree with what I said, it was a substantive post.

There have been 3 support threads. One was for Blade (you) and two have been for Mikal.

Yes...and?

I want voters to come to their decisions based on what the candidates say and propose, not what others think of them.

My analysis is substantive, Harder. If it makes a valid point about the campaign, I have a right to communicate it. We need to trust the voters to weigh these points and come to a decision on there own. But, unless you can show that my point was invalid or irrelevant to who would make a better president, I don't think you're going to be able to make a good case for me not posting it.

My point was never that you don't have good arguments. My point was that some members may flock to whoever one member is voting for: regardless of the influencing person's reasons for doing so.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 6:40:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/7/2014 6:38:55 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 12/7/2014 6:37:01 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 12/7/2014 6:34:03 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 12/7/2014 6:31:36 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 12/7/2014 6:29:33 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 12/7/2014 6:27:27 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Maybe, but that doesn't change that fact that more posts will be put into a small window. You cannot deny that the post lending my support to Blade and Cermank lacked substance--even if you disagree with what I said, it was a substantive post.

There have been 3 support threads. One was for Blade (you) and two have been for Mikal.

Yes...and?

I want voters to come to their decisions based on what the candidates say and propose, not what others think of them.

My analysis is substantive, Harder. If it makes a valid point about the campaign, I have a right to communicate it. We need to trust the voters to weigh these points and come to a decision on there own. But, unless you can show that my point was invalid or irrelevant to who would make a better president, I don't think you're going to be able to make a good case for me not posting it.

My point was never that you don't have good arguments. My point was that some members may flock to whoever one member is voting for: regardless of the influencing person's reasons for doing so.

Why should that stop me from posting? Why does my right to engage in substantive discussion get squashed because some people cannot make good decisions?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...