Jump to topic:

Bladerunner 2015!!!

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2014 5:09:18 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
So I just wanted to voice my stance on the current election, though whether my opinion matters is completely up to you to decide. I would like to start out by saying that I love bench and mikal both, and I know they won't hold this position against me, or at least I hope they won't.

I think the Bladerunner not only is the most fitting candidate here, but also the most deserving candidate.

I have not been up to date on all the election drama so far, so forgive me if my post leaves out anything important. I have skimmed through a lot of stuff, but I have read both platforms, and thus far feel as if blade is the stronger candidate.

I'll outline a few reasons why.

Platform

Both mikal and bladerunner are amazing members and have both done a lot for the site. I have even had mikal help me with a few presentations to juggle back when I was in office. So no matter what the outcome is, I think DDO will benefit from the president that is elected.

So again, pardon if I have left out anything mentioned in a campaign update, but I will go over the things about blade that strikes me the most.

Voting efforts

This is something blade has kept his word on that surprised me to see fulfilled. I was a little skeptical when he was first making this promise during his initial campaign, but it is one that he was very committed to keeping, and has done an amazing job at. Him and his administration have done a fantastic job at continuing voting efforts, and I think my already bulging respect for blade has increased because he kept his word on this front. The best way I can say this is that the proof is in the pudding, and bladerunner has fed us spoonfuls of it.

Lack of relying on external forces

I think bladerunner has been very realistic in his presidential term. I'll admit, he is way more realistic than I was when I ran. While it was true that I did a lot of relying on Juggle opening up a consistent flow of communication, I think my priorities should have been placed more within emphasizing community aspects, then waiting around for Juggle's replies. And through basically months of begging, I was able to get a few updates pushed through with the help from the community, I didn't nearly focus as much of my time wisely on the community as I should have. And now, Juggle is much harder to reach than they were previously (the fact that I am still on the elected officials page is a living testament to that). Not a whole lot of Blade's campaign seems to focus on this. I think blade was much wiser than me though, and saw this a lot earlier. Because of this he has been able to continue the weekly updates consistently (something I failed at several times due to prioritizing my time with Juggle). Bladerunner's activity, availability, and willingness to assist any members in need to his utmost, leaks through not only to his astonishing character traits, but to his dedication the the position.

This is not to say that mikal or imabench cannot replicate this, only to bolster the fact that we currently have someone amazing in the presidency on this front. Platform wise, I don't have many concerns for the mikal/bench side. I particularly like that he is committed to changing the front page. This is actually one of the things I was working at most during my presidency as well. I had been in contact with several members who had assisted me with ideas on how to automate the process, as asked by Alex (Juggle's former communicator). Having fed her those ideas along with many others, it was one of the many issues that was seemingly dropped due to Juggle's supposed lack of resources. At any rate, if he is elected I wish him the best of luck in continuing this endeavor.

Going along with the "External resources" bit, one thing that worries me about the mikal/bench campaign is that alot more of it seems to rely on a lot of these. I can personally say with confidence, for example, that any moderation policy that was attempted to be pushed through by mikal/bench tried to push through, would not work out. Understanding of their relationship with airmax aside, there is only so much a president can or should do. A few elections ago, a fine line was starting to be publicly drawn between what a president is vs what a moderator is. Separating the entities to me, is very very important. That aside, going back to realism, how likely is it that Juggle would do anything about implementation of this policy? They have a trust with airmax that has been established to the point where the moderator is basically an unpaid juggle employee. On this front, things are unlikely to change, and I feel that it may not be in a president's best interest to try and focus much time or resources attempting to change this, when there are plenty of other more productive things for one to focus on (like putting in an effort to ensure every debate gets voted on XD).

All of this aside, I do take issue with a lot of the subjective lines that are being drawn within this moderation policy. The fact that there is so much controversy surrounding this point is a live demonstration at how damaging this could be if implemented. Putting specific issues surrounding this policy aside, think about how a policy like this could split a community if this were manageable to be implemented? We are essentially placing the power to choose in the hands of two like minded individuals, and separating whatever slight minorities decision out of the equation. As I said earlier, I have high doubts that something like this would be realistically implemented at any rate, so I don't forsee this being a problem if they are elected (which is why I said there will likely be benefit from either candidate being elected), but I do question some of the priorities outlines in this campaign.

Fan-fics were also mentioned in this campaign. Being a casual writer myself, I know how much time it can take to put into writing a decent story. If we are talking about a weekly presidential created fan fic, how much time is our president going to be able to put into the more important subjects? Is this really something that should be prioritized? Tie in the video updates through google plus into this point as well.

I don't clearly understand other parts of this platform as well, specifically on how a member with no elevated level of membership power, can do things like "clean up the religion forum", "implement sub mods", or "stretch the character limit" or why these things are so extremely important.

I like that the candidate has said he is willing to commit to improving voting and debating efforts, assist with improving quality tournaments, and be transparent. These are great things, but how real are these goals with all of these other "out of power" goals lined up, side by side with goals that aren't as particularly important? It seems risky to me to lose a president who is already doing a fantastic job at these rather important subjects to someone who has placed a lot of emphasis on making shows and fan-fics simply to entertain an audience, or achieve some level of public satisfaction. If the candidates goals really were in line with assisting the community, why would being elected be the only incentive for remaining on the side (exluding mikal form this obvs)?

Blade deserves to be president

This point pains me to make, but it is probably the biggest reason I currently voice my support for blade. Again, this is not to attack or defame any member, and I certainly hope it isn't taken that way (if there is issues, you can yell at me in a google hangout session).

But since I've known blade on this website, I've known him to be one of the most professional, kind, and well-mannered individuals on the site. He is probably more humble than most people I know even in real life. Granted I may not have interacted with h
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2014 5:09:32 PM
others have. Blade was always the member who would seemingly actually place some thought into something someone said even if they were blatantly against them. Always, appologizing in advance so as not to seem as rude, and in general making his friendly intentions perfectly clear. I have seen him deal with intense amount of pressure, and act calmly. Hell, the voting promise he made and kept was enough to put many people on thin ice. Blade has remained calm and professional through plenty of site drama, and has repeatedly shown that he is capable of being the "bigger" person.
Even from my skimming of the election drama so far, this has become increasingly apparent. I can not with the fullest heart say the same for my friends mikal and imabench. This pains me to say this and I really hope they don't take this as a beat up stick. I love being in the hangouts with you guys, playing games on steam, live mafia etc. I've even met bench in person, and know that he is a great guy. But do I think them as a president would be the best for overall site health? Probably not. Again, realistically, I can definitely see how being president can change how you act. I have no doubt that if mikal/imabench are elected, their overall behavior and outlook will be influenced, mine definitely has. I myself before being elected had been involved in several un-satisfactory positions where I am definitely not proud of things I have said. Many have seen both mikal and imabench in these situations though, in some ways more copious times than your average member. My point here, is that I think it would be a big slap in the face for these two particular members to win the election over someone who has (from my experience) always shown himself to be the bigger person, and has chosen to think rationally before emotionally. Bladerunner already has the qualities that an effective president needs. And while I am sure anyone elected in this position could learn these qualities, the core of the issue for me is that bladerunner deserves this more for the character he has already shown to have. I don't see many members more deserving of the role then bladerunner. Bladerunner, is offering himself to serve multiple hours of his time a day to the site, on top of what had to have been an already strenuous effort to begin with. I would feel debate.org would be lucky to have him serve once again, and I am honored to represent being part of a community with such an effective head of leadership.

As it stands, I currently support and endorse bladerunner for DDO presidency in 2015. I am not yet sure if I will vote in the upcoming election, and will be as objective as possible for further updates from both candidates or potentially more candidates. Good luck to everyone currently running!

-TUF
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2014 5:10:23 PM
I apologize in advance for spelling and grammar errors. I did not proof read this, as I did not have a ton of time to write this, but wanted to get as much out as I could in the short amount of time I was allotted.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2014 5:17:50 PM
At 12/8/2014 5:10:23 PM, TUF wrote:
I apologize in advance for spelling and grammar errors. I did not proof read this, as I did not have a ton of time to write this, but wanted to get as much out as I could in the short amount of time I was allotted.

Want me to go through it and correct all? :P
jk jk
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2014 5:20:38 PM
At 12/8/2014 5:17:50 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 12/8/2014 5:10:23 PM, TUF wrote:

Want me to go through it and correct all? :P
jk jk

@Esocial - Lol...Hail the Grammar Nazi! Fuhrer of the Forums!

@TUF - Wow...that is an amazing endorsement. I know Blade will truly appreciate it.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2014 5:29:58 PM
At 12/8/2014 5:09:18 PM, TUF wrote:
So I just wanted to voice my stance on the current election, though whether my opinion matters- is completely up to you to decide. I would like to start out by saying that I love bench and mikal both, and I know they won't hold this position against me, or at least I hope they won't.

I think the Bladerunner, not only is the most fitting candidate here, but also the most deserving candidate.

I have not been up to date on all the election drama so far, so forgive me if my post leaves out anything important. I have skimmed through a lot of stuff, but I have read both platforms, and thus far feel as if blade is the stronger candidate.

I'll outline a few reasons why:

Platform

Both mikal and bladerunner are amazing members and have both done a lot for the site. I have even had mikal help me with a few presentations to juggle back when I was in office. No matter what the outcome is, I think DDO will benefit from the president that is elected.

Again, pardon if I have left out anything mentioned in a campaign update, but I will go over the things about blade that strikes me the most.

Voting efforts

This is something blade has kept his word on, that surprised me to see fulfilled. I was a little skeptical when he was first making this promise during his initial campaign, but it is one that he was very committed to keeping, and has done an amazing job at. He and his administration have done a fantastic job at continuing voting efforts, and I think my already bulging respect for blade has increased- because he kept his word on this front. The best way I can say this is that the proof is in the pudding, and bladerunner has fed us spoonfuls of it.
(bulging lol)

Lack of relying on external forces

You're pretty much good.

I'm gettin bored.. xD
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2014 5:49:40 PM
At 12/8/2014 5:46:44 PM, Wylted wrote:
Is everybody going to do an endorsement thread?

i hope not but i've already told one person that messaging about who to pick will not go over well with me
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2014 5:50:50 PM
At 12/8/2014 5:49:40 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
At 12/8/2014 5:46:44 PM, Wylted wrote:
Is everybody going to do an endorsement thread?

i hope not but i've already told one person that messaging about who to pick will not go over well with me

Thanks for the heads up. No spam PM from me.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2014 9:31:56 PM
At 12/8/2014 6:00:41 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
yaass
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2014 11:49:11 PM
Bump.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 1:19:31 AM
At 12/8/2014 5:20:38 PM, bsh1 wrote:
@TUF - Wow...that is an amazing endorsement. I know Blade will truly appreciate it.

Thanks, my friendships made posting this kind of tough, but with all the public support mikal has been getting I figured I couldn't cause too much harm by voicing my opinion. Also slowly starting to lose the sympathy I had the other day, now after seeing some of the tactics being used by the candidates.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 3:25:16 PM
At 12/10/2014 8:42:06 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Vote for maturity, vote for stability, vote for what works. Vote Bladerunner.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 4:47:55 PM
At 12/10/2014 3:25:16 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 4:51:10 PM
At 12/10/2014 4:47:55 PM, bsh1 wrote:

I'll repeat what I said elsewhere:

As far as the negative campaigning, there have been attacks from *both* sides. I think it's ironic that blade's current campaigners (e.g. bsh, TUF, CP) have claimed that blade is above-board and really even-tempered, but he created what was basically a call-out thread a few days ago merely to question my integrity and call me a liar (after claiming he didn't want to run a negative campaign). I tried to contact him personally to resolve the issue that he thought I was misconstruing some things he had said, and that PM ended in hostility from blade. I asked him a neutral question yesterday, and he called the question dishonest and went after me again. I think it's worth noting that Mikal has *not* lost his cool this election, whereas blade clearly *has.*
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
headphonegut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 4:56:12 PM
At 12/10/2014 4:51:10 PM, bluesteel wrote:

As far as the negative campaigning, there have been attacks from *both* sides. I think it's ironic that blade's current campaigners (e.g. bsh, TUF, CP) have claimed that blade is above-board and really even-tempered, but he created what was basically a call-out thread a few days ago merely to question my integrity and call me a liar (after claiming he didn't want to run a negative campaign). I tried to contact him personally to resolve the issue that he thought I was misconstruing some things he had said, and that PM ended in hostility from blade. I asked him a neutral question yesterday, and he called the question dishonest and went after me again. I think it's worth noting that Mikal has *not* lost his cool this election, whereas blade clearly *has.*

I am bluesteel now.
crying to soldiers coming home to their dogs why do I torment myself with these videos?
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 5:02:12 PM
At 12/10/2014 4:56:12 PM, headphonegut wrote:
At 12/10/2014 4:51:10 PM, bluesteel wrote:

I am bluesteel now.

Lol.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 12:19:35 AM
Bumpage
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 12:22:51 AM
At 12/11/2014 12:19:35 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Bumpage
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 12:49:26 AM
At 12/11/2014 12:22:51 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Bumpage
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 1:01:53 AM
At 12/11/2014 12:49:26 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Bumpage

Dude stop lol
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 1:05:07 AM
At 12/11/2014 1:01:53 AM, Maikuru wrote:
Bumpage

Dude stop lol

Lol...I did. Even I realized it was getting excessive.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 1:08:48 AM
At 12/11/2014 1:05:07 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Bumpage

Dude stop lol

I had to stage an intervention over it
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 1:12:17 AM
At 12/11/2014 1:08:48 AM, imabench wrote:
At 12/11/2014 1:05:07 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Bumpage

Dude stop lol

I had to stage an intervention over it

http://www.debate.org...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

ElCorazonAma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 8:42:46 AM
It's things like this thread is why I usually abstain from making any serious comments or remarks or votes because of the hostility I see come from these and over what somethig that should be worth honoring and respecting. Not bashing everyone or others for choosing differently.

Just know, I am quite disappointed in the behavior everyone who's being hostile towards one another this election. No is better than another so stop trying to create that mentality while making votes or making comments. Be REALISTIC AND CIVIL about it!
The verb is real but the adjective is only a hypothetical ideal. ~ Freedo
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 8:51:01 AM
At 12/11/2014 8:42:46 AM, ElCorazonAma wrote:
It's things like this thread is why I usually abstain from making any serious comments or remarks or votes because of the hostility I see come from these and over what somethig that should be worth honoring and respecting. Not bashing everyone or others for choosing differently.

Just know, I am quite disappointed in the behavior everyone who's being hostile towards one another this election. No is better than another so stop trying to create that mentality while making votes or making comments. Be REALISTIC AND CIVIL about it!

Yep, the best way to quell the drama is definitely to revive it even after it has been sitting dead overnight and there has been an entire thread dedicated to peace :)