Jump to topic:

An "endorsement" of Mikal

bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2014 3:56:14 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Given that I"m running with him, this isn"t so much an unbiased endorsement of Mikal as it is my explanation why I chose to become part of his administration rather than seeking a position in Eddie"s administration (which I"ve been told--although not by Eddie himself--would likely have been forthcoming had I not chosen to run with Mikal).

It comes down to passion. Mikal has revitalized the site in many ways in my mind, merely by being a member. Personally, there was nothing on this site that really made me want to come back and stay until Mikal joined and got users like me more involved, by wanting to discuss debate arguments, do team debates, and do Hangouts and live mafia, where members actually got to interact with each other in a way that"s not possible on DDO itself.

I think Mikal has a similar effect on other people. He made imabench want to come back merely to have a chance to revitalize the site and improve it. Ima"s statement that he would leave again if Mikal loses has been somewhat controversial. I"m not sure if that *still* reflects ima"s sentiments, but ima has made clear that his rationale is that Mikal"s administration is a chance for him to make some real changes to the site and make it a better place. If Mikal loses, ima has said that he feels like those opportunities will not be forthcoming.

Defro also stated in his endorsement video that he came back to the site simply because he heard Mikal was running. Mikal ignites passion in the people around him.

I"ve floated ideas to Mikal for having weekly scheduled Hangouts for mafia and general discussion so users like Maikuru and Tulle, who aren"t on DDO every second checking for Hangout threads to be posted, have a chance to join. It"s hard to get on a Hangout if they happen too ad hoc, but if it"s a regularly scheduled, site-sponsored thing, it would be easier. I"ve also suggested Mikal hold a Hangout every week or two so that members can discuss site issues with him. He was very receptive to the idea.

I think that"s the difference passion makes; it means you"ll get more ideas from Mikal and his administration over the course of the next year. His presidency doesn"t just come down to the campaign promises already put forward. It comes with an intense desire to brainstorm new ideas even after the election is over.

Other candidates have promises what they see as more achievable goals. But big change only happens with big dreams. If people never dreamed big, we"d still be stuck with Yahoo search; we would have no smart phones (because it was too crazy an idea to have expensive phones that were also mp3 players), and Tesla would have been dead on arrival (an electric car people actually want to drive, that"s nuts). Mikal sees what this site *can* be, not merely what it currently is. I respect Eddie a lot, and I think he "deserves" the position in many ways (as TUF said). He"s worked hard for the site, been an upstanding member, and he has airmax"s endorsement.

But honestly, I want to see the site move in a direction that increases people"s engagement. I want a candidate that is like 2008 Obama, who has passion and drive. I want someone who makes me excited about where this site is going again.

I think a lot of Mikal"s proposals do that. As Defro and I have both pointed out about the trial system, it"s a way to have the *users* have more input in the site. This site is not run by the moderators; it's run by the users. If you have a serious concern about a user, you should have a forum in which your voice is listened to. And if you think someone *shouldn"t* be banned, you also should have a forum where your opinion is heard. A trial system allows your voice to be heard.

And while both administrations have endorsed the trial system, there"s a difference in my mind because Mikal got the discussion started again. He had the gall to want a major change to the site. And there"s been resistance, but there"s clearly enough desire for change that Mikal"s opponents also felt the need to endorse the system. Mikal took an idea that YYW and I discussed a lot in a thread many months ago and got the site to take it seriously. Because that"s the kind of guy he is. He has the passion to really push for things. Eddie is a great even-handed leader, but he was absent from that discussion when it occurred a few months ago, and he"s a bit absent from the forums in general. I think Mikal would do a better job listening to what the community wants and will do a better job adapting his administration to changing circumstances. If all we"re going to get out of either candidate is their attempt to implement their campaign promises, we don"t have that many new things to expect in the coming year.

So ultimately, to me, it comes down to whether I want a candidate who asks, "What can I do for you, the members who I really like and appreciate, to make this site better?" versus a candidate who asks, "What is the easiest, lowest hanging fruit I can promise you?"

I chose to run with the candidate who I think can increase community engagement because I think that"s what the Presidency is really about. It"s not a "Juggle relations chair" position; Juggle isn"t the same organization it was when innomen or even TUF was President. Juggle is focusing on their other websites for now. So the Juggle-relations thing did not play a role in my decision, especially when Mikal"s opponents have not promised anything out of their relationship with Juggle. I also think, honestly, as Mikal"s point person to improve relations with Juggle that I have some new ideas for increasing their engagement: site improvements that also stand to make them more money on the site. I"ve coached debate for a long time; I know what can get more debaters on here. But some of those changes require someone with passion and some of them require users to get more involved with the site. So I need someone who I feel wants to put in the effort to make major changes around here. And to me, that person is Mikal.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2014 4:30:03 PM
At 12/9/2014 3:56:14 PM, bluesteel wrote:
Given that I"m running with him, this isn"t so much an unbiased endorsement of Mikal as it is my explanation why I chose to become part of his administration rather than seeking a position in Eddie"s administration (which I"ve been told--although not by Eddie himself--would likely have been forthcoming had I not chosen to run with Mikal).

It comes down to passion. Mikal has revitalized the site in many ways in my mind, merely by being a member. Personally, there was nothing on this site that really made me want to come back and stay until Mikal joined and got users like me more involved, by wanting to discuss debate arguments, do team debates, and do Hangouts and live mafia, where members actually got to interact with each other in a way that"s not possible on DDO itself.

I think Mikal has a similar effect on other people. He made imabench want to come back merely to have a chance to revitalize the site and improve it. Ima"s statement that he would leave again if Mikal loses has been somewhat controversial. I"m not sure if that *still* reflects ima"s sentiments, but ima has made clear that his rationale is that Mikal"s administration is a chance for him to make some real changes to the site and make it a better place. If Mikal loses, ima has said that he feels like those opportunities will not be forthcoming.

Defro also stated in his endorsement video that he came back to the site simply because he heard Mikal was running. Mikal ignites passion in the people around him.

I"ve floated ideas to Mikal for having weekly scheduled Hangouts for mafia and general discussion so users like Maikuru and Tulle, who aren"t on DDO every second checking for Hangout threads to be posted, have a chance to join. It"s hard to get on a Hangout if they happen too ad hoc, but if it"s a regularly scheduled, site-sponsored thing, it would be easier. I"ve also suggested Mikal hold a Hangout every week or two so that members can discuss site issues with him. He was very receptive to the idea.

I think that"s the difference passion makes; it means you"ll get more ideas from Mikal and his administration over the course of the next year. His presidency doesn"t just come down to the campaign promises already put forward. It comes with an intense desire to brainstorm new ideas even after the election is over.

Other candidates have promises what they see as more achievable goals. But big change only happens with big dreams. If people never dreamed big, we"d still be stuck with Yahoo search; we would have no smart phones (because it was too crazy an idea to have expensive phones that were also mp3 players), and Tesla would have been dead on arrival (an electric car people actually want to drive, that"s nuts). Mikal sees what this site *can* be, not merely what it currently is. I respect Eddie a lot, and I think he "deserves" the position in many ways (as TUF said). He"s worked hard for the site, been an upstanding member, and he has airmax"s endorsement.

But honestly, I want to see the site move in a direction that increases people"s engagement. I want a candidate that is like 2008 Obama, who has passion and drive. I want someone who makes me excited about where this site is going again.

I think a lot of Mikal"s proposals do that. As Defro and I have both pointed out about the trial system, it"s a way to have the *users* have more input in the site. This site is not run by the moderators; it's run by the users. If you have a serious concern about a user, you should have a forum in which your voice is listened to. And if you think someone *shouldn"t* be banned, you also should have a forum where your opinion is heard. A trial system allows your voice to be heard.

And while both administrations have endorsed the trial system, there"s a difference in my mind because Mikal got the discussion started again. He had the gall to want a major change to the site. And there"s been resistance, but there"s clearly enough desire for change that Mikal"s opponents also felt the need to endorse the system. Mikal took an idea that YYW and I discussed a lot in a thread many months ago and got the site to take it seriously. Because that"s the kind of guy he is. He has the passion to really push for things. Eddie is a great even-handed leader, but he was absent from that discussion when it occurred a few months ago, and he"s a bit absent from the forums in general. I think Mikal would do a better job listening to what the community wants and will do a better job adapting his administration to changing circumstances. If all we"re going to get out of either candidate is their attempt to implement their campaign promises, we don"t have that many new things to expect in the coming year.

So ultimately, to me, it comes down to whether I want a candidate who asks, "What can I do for you, the members who I really like and appreciate, to make this site better?" versus a candidate who asks, "What is the easiest, lowest hanging fruit I can promise you?"

I chose to run with the candidate who I think can increase community engagement because I think that"s what the Presidency is really about. It"s not a "Juggle relations chair" position; Juggle isn"t the same organization it was when innomen or even TUF was President. Juggle is focusing on their other websites for now. So the Juggle-relations thing did not play a role in my decision, especially when Mikal"s opponents have not promised anything out of their relationship with Juggle. I also think, honestly, as Mikal"s point person to improve relations with Juggle that I have some new ideas for increasing their engagement: site improvements that also stand to make them more money on the site. I"ve coached debate for a long time; I know what can get more debaters on here. But some of those changes require someone with passion and some of them require users to get more involved with the site. So I need someone who I feel wants to put in the effort to make major changes around here. And to me, that person is Mikal.

This is why he is going to edit anything I send to juggle ^

Seriously though, that means alot. It sucks hearing I can't do this or won't be able to do this. Everything time I see something like this (including Defro and dennys video) it brings a huge smile to face because it shows there are quite a few people that have faith in me to do what needs to be done

No one could say it better than a best friend lol
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2014 4:34:03 PM
At 12/9/2014 4:30:03 PM, Mikal wrote:

Seriously though, that means a [] lot. It sucks hearing I can't do this or won't be able to do this. Every[] time I see something like this (including Defro and denny[']s video) it brings a huge smile to [my] face because it shows there are quite a few people that have faith in me to do what needs to be done[.]

FTFY :P
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2014 6:05:34 PM
At 12/9/2014 4:34:03 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 12/9/2014 4:30:03 PM, Mikal wrote:

Seriously though, that means a [] lot. It sucks hearing I can't do this or won't be able to do this. Every[] time I see something like this (including Defro and denny[']s video) it brings a huge smile to [my] face because it shows there are quite a few people that have faith in me to do what needs to be done[.]

FTFY :P

A thiarna dean trocaire
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2014 11:57:03 PM
At 12/9/2014 11:56:04 PM, UchihaMadara wrote:
At 12/9/2014 11:51:56 PM, Mikal wrote:
bumpi

dude don't bump your own endorsements XD

Getting drowned. The endorsement and platforms and what people need to see lol
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 12:05:51 AM
At 12/9/2014 11:57:03 PM, Mikal wrote:
bumpi

are*
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 1:41:20 AM
At 12/9/2014 11:57:03 PM, Mikal wrote:
bumpi

I agree.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 10:29:04 AM
It's interesting to me how positive our campaigns have been, and then contrasted with how aggressive and defensive the responses to them have been. I think DDO deserves more than that.

The basic situation here is that Mikal is change and Blade's administration is the status quo. It's not that the status quo is bad, per se, but the defense of it has turned into something that is probably not good.

The reason that defense of the status quo has changed, I think, is because of a lot of irrational fears about how bad Mikal would be if elected. That seems to be the persistent motivation behind opposition to him and his platforms.

It's basically a campaign of "Don't vote for Mikal because he'll screw it all up!" I think that's as frustrating as it is disingenuous. While I have a lot of respect for most of Blade's administration, I think that this is kind of indicative of why it might be time to shake things up a bit.
Tsar of DDO
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 4:46:55 PM
At 12/10/2014 10:29:04 AM, YYW wrote:
It's interesting to me how positive our campaigns have been, and then contrasted with how aggressive and defensive the responses to them have been. I think DDO deserves more than that.

The basic situation here is that Mikal is change and Blade's administration is the status quo. It's not that the status quo is bad, per se, but the defense of it has turned into something that is probably not good.

The reason that defense of the status quo has changed, I think, is because of a lot of irrational fears about how bad Mikal would be if elected. That seems to be the persistent motivation behind opposition to him and his platforms.

It's basically a campaign of "Don't vote for Mikal because he'll screw it all up!" I think that's as frustrating as it is disingenuous. While I have a lot of respect for most of Blade's administration, I think that this is kind of indicative of why it might be time to shake things up a bit.

YYW, I definitely agree the overall tone of both campaigns has been very different. Mikal's tone has been very optimistic about the site's future, whereas blade"s has been slightly less rosy, asking people not to expect more of his administration than goals that are "easily achievable" (read: not very ambitious).

As far as the negative campaigning, there have been attacks from *both* sides. I think it"s ironic that blade"s current campaigners (e.g. bsh and TUF) have claimed that blade is above-board and really even-tempered, but he created what was basically a call-out thread a few days ago merely to question my integrity and call me a liar (after claiming he didn't want to run a negative campaign). I tried to contact him personally to resolve the issue that he thought I was misconstruing some things he had said, and that PM ended in hostility from blade. I asked him a neutral question yesterday, and he called the question dishonest and went after me again. I think it"s worth noting that Mikal has *not* lost his cool this election, whereas blade clearly *has.*

The theme of many of blade"s campaigners (e.g. cermank, bsh) is that you should vote against mikal because of his VP choice and because he can"t have relations with Juggle, while admitting that VP is not a powerful position (most people can"t name all the past VPs even) and that bladerunner has made clear that he expects *nothing* out of his relationship with Juggle in the coming year. These are only negative reasons. They haven"t made a fair comparison of blade and mikal's platforms and ambition and claimed that blade will do more for the site in the coming year. A VP choice is not a reason to reject a president whose tone, ambition, and campaign a voter likes better.

Lastly, I'll note that despite some of our failings, Mikal is surrounded by an administration that is also very passionate and Mikal brings out the best in us. In contrast, you've all heard nothing from thett in this election. I know thett goes through periods on DDO of less activity; it"s natural to lose interest sometimes. Blade picked him as COS to add some legitimacy to his campaign, but my honest, unbiased assessment is that thett will only be passively involved in blade's administration, whereas I will be very actively involved in Mikal, and I think Mikal will bring even more people on-board as committee chairs and officers after the election is over.

I think Mikal inspires people *and* he"s on DDO a lot and keeps apprised of current issues. I think in contrast, I haven"t seen that much inspiration or participation in the forums from blade this past year, which is why I chose to work with someone who has passion in droves and *will* be responsive to user needs and current issues.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 12:19:05 AM

The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 12:10:41 PM

The Fool: Exactly, we don't need no thought control.
<(89)
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL