Jump to topic:

Secretary of Forum Affairs

Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2014 7:45:18 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
If Eddie [Bladerunner] is to be elected, I will effectively take the role as Secretary of Forum Affairs. This is an important part of our vision for the progress of the site, and I will once again post the abstract I wrote a couple of days ago here. If you have questions and comments, or suggestions, feel free to express opinion.

My primary duty will be to improve the overall status of the forums. While the general state is such that there is sufficient activity spread out, there are, nevertheless, certain forums that are peculiar; that is either in terms of undesirable activity that takes place, such as in the Religion forum, or almost complete lack of activity, such as in the Technology and Sports forums. Having observed this for an extended amount of time, I, like certain other members, are willing to help bring forth improvements. In brief, my primary focus will be on the following: inactivity and poor conduct. I will not have moderation abilities, nor do I seek them. My desire is to work toward improving the state of the forums by trying to engage members into being active in forums that are deserted, as well as trying to bring the best out of themselves and others in terms of behavior [i.e., conduct] everywhere else; most notably, in the Religion forum.

I very much desire to see the best of every individual, and will not try to bring harsh consequences for someone who, at some point, might act in an inappropriate fashion. Instead, I will resort to an approach that helps guide an individual toward improvement, and with the support of a hopefully great team, this should have noticeable benefits. If no such approach is functional, I will bring the matter into a discussion with Bladerunner and Max, and an individual's status here will, then, be up to a rather more serious discussion. Everyone here is intelligent to a level that we all appreciate; it is not for a random reason that you seek to discuss matters in a thoughtful, rational manner. For that reason, it is expected that having the rationale to take necessary measurements against your own behavior, and improve for the benefit of yourself and others, is fundamental.

I know yet not whether or not I, in fact, will have this duty taken upon me, as the elections have yet to pass. If, however, I do, I will try my best to improve the state of the forums, and work with a team of respected, valuable, and reputed members who have what it takes to bring improvement for the site.

Thank you.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2014 7:48:32 PM
If anyone has questions concerning my legacy here, feel free to ask. Some comments have been thrown earlier, and I will gladly answer if you are interested in hearing more.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 11:24:35 AM
At 12/9/2014 7:48:32 PM, Mirza wrote:
If anyone has questions concerning my legacy here, feel free to ask. Some comments have been thrown earlier, and I will gladly answer if you are interested in hearing more.

We never did that debate you promised me a year ago in June.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 3:49:18 PM
At 12/10/2014 11:24:35 AM, lannan13 wrote:
I cannot see the relevance it has to the topic of this thread, Lannan. You can talk to me over PM if you are interested.
headphonegut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 3:51:23 PM
At 12/9/2014 7:45:18 PM, Mirza wrote:
If Eddie [Bladerunner] is to be elected, I will effectively take the role as Secretary of Forum Affairs. This is an important part of our vision for the progress of the site, and I will once again post the abstract I wrote a couple of days ago here. If you have questions and comments, or suggestions, feel free to express opinion.

My primary duty will be to improve the overall status of the forums. While the general state is such that there is sufficient activity spread out, there are, nevertheless, certain forums that are peculiar; that is either in terms of undesirable activity that takes place, such as in the Religion forum, or almost complete lack of activity, such as in the Technology and Sports forums. Having observed this for an extended amount of time, I, like certain other members, are willing to help bring forth improvements. In brief, my primary focus will be on the following: inactivity and poor conduct. I will not have moderation abilities, nor do I seek them. My desire is to work toward improving the state of the forums by trying to engage members into being active in forums that are deserted, as well as trying to bring the best out of themselves and others in terms of behavior [i.e., conduct] everywhere else; most notably, in the Religion forum.

I very much desire to see the best of every individual, and will not try to bring harsh consequences for someone who, at some point, might act in an inappropriate fashion. Instead, I will resort to an approach that helps guide an individual toward improvement, and with the support of a hopefully great team, this should have noticeable benefits. If no such approach is functional, I will bring the matter into a discussion with Bladerunner and Max, and an individual's status here will, then, be up to a rather more serious discussion. Everyone here is intelligent to a level that we all appreciate; it is not for a random reason that you seek to discuss matters in a thoughtful, rational manner. For that reason, it is expected that having the rationale to take necessary measurements against your own behavior, and improve for the benefit of yourself and others, is fundamental.

I know yet not whether or not I, in fact, will have this duty taken upon me, as the elections have yet to pass. If, however, I do, I will try my best to improve the state of the forums, and work with a team of respected, valuable, and reputed members who have what it takes to bring improvement for the site.

Thank you.

Je volim te <3
crying to soldiers coming home to their dogs why do I torment myself with these videos?
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 5:03:30 PM
At 12/10/2014 11:24:35 AM, lannan13 wrote:
At 12/9/2014 7:48:32 PM, Mirza wrote:

Lol...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 12:19:44 AM
Bumparoo.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

Ajabi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 1:24:50 AM
At 12/9/2014 7:45:18 PM, Mirza wrote:

Thank you.

If you don't mind?

Q1. What will b your offical powers? Or will you only be serving in a suggestive capacity.
Q2. How is this not included in the forum peacemakers agreement?
Q3. How do you hope to improve the religious forum?
Q4. Why do you think you're the most credible for this position: after all YYW spends a lot of time, as does whiteflame.
Q5. Will you have helpers/a council or what? Who decided whose put in them?
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 1:39:44 AM
At 12/11/2014 1:24:50 AM, Ajabi wrote:

I would just point out that this predates the peacekeepers program.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Ajabi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 1:49:15 AM
At 12/11/2014 1:39:44 AM, bsh1 wrote:

How so? This is from a day ago, and that is about four days ago.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 1:51:11 AM
At 12/11/2014 1:49:15 AM, Ajabi wrote:
At 12/11/2014 1:39:44 AM, bsh1 wrote:

How so? This is from a day ago, and that is about four days ago.

Because this idea was part of Blade's original platform statement, which was posted well in advance of the peacekeepers idea.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 4:06:40 AM
If you don't mind?
It's fine, thanks for asking.

Q1. What will b your offical powers? Or will you only be serving in a suggestive capacity.
What I will have is influential authority rather than any type that gives me the ability to moderate on my own. If, for instance, I observe that a member has a pattern of very negative behavior, then I will try to discuss the issue with said member, and hope to guide him toward acceptable behavior. If no benign method works, I will bring it to Bladerunner and Airmax, who, then, will take the matter to a more serious level. If and when the trial system is implemented, then said member would have to go through a trial. My main goals will be to improve the quality of behavior in the forums, as well as increase the activity level. None of these can be promised, for it is not very predictable how members will react to guidelines, warnings, or even threats of ban. Nor can there be a guarantee of increased forum activity in obsolete forums like Arts, for if the vast majority of members are not willing to participate in discussions there, it would be difficult to increase overall participation. The idea, however, is good, for it has been shown in the Religion Ambassador programme that members, to an extent, take it seriously when someone asks them to improve behavior. And, with regard to activity, I will form a group that can actively participate in certain forums, so as to increase the interest among other members, as well.

I have, moreover, ideas as to how to make the forums more user-friendly, and the site more welcoming toward international members, that I would like to present to Juggle, should they be open for talks.

This proposal came before the Peacekeeper programme. Firstly, there is the Religion Ambassador program, which, in its crux, works based on the same concept. Secondly, there is this proposal, which will help keep member guided on proper conduct. However, I said initially that I do like the initiative of the Peacekeeper programme, and that if the members approve of it, as well as the head of the administration, then I will gladly work with its founder and implement a functioning system. This, if anything, helps me in my task, for I would, then, have a hopefully large team of voluntary members support me in increasing the quality of conduct in the forums.

Q3. How do you hope to improve the religious forum?
I would take the approach of guiding some troubled members toward better behavior, and, if nothing benign works, discuss it further with my advisers [read below] and, perhaps, Bladerunner and Airmax, should there be a need for that. Together with the Peacekeeper programme, if implemented, this would work well, for the members there would be met with the reality that highly improper behavior is not welcome here. What's important to mention, however, is that the Religion forum has many participants, and due to the very nature of the topics discussed, some sort of improper conduct is expected. What is problematic, however, is a form of repeated behavior that is not productive whatsoever, and aims at trolling or stirring up conflict. This is what we would work toward improving.

Q4. Why do you think you're the most credible for this position: after all YYW spends a lot of time, as does whiteflame.
Bladerunner instigated the Religion Ambassador programme, which I willingly joined. He was grateful for my performance, and observed a net-benefit of the programme [which some other members were/are part of, too]. Due to this, as well as other factors, he offered me a role in his administration, that I was thankful for and accepted it. That said, I didn't approach the role in any aggressive manner, but found it to suit me, and took it. So, I will not say I am more credible than any member you may mention, but I find myself to be fit. The role, although assigned to me, will not circle around me; I will work with a team that I find best fitting for the position alongside me, and will ultimately have the members are advisers and supporters in my decisions and more.

Q5. Will you have helpers/a council or what? Who decided whose put in them?
Yes. I will have, perhaps, three main advisers, with whom I will discuss issues, members, and more, and make the right decisions. I have the right to decide upon them by myself, but will naturally discuss the matter with my administration. In addition to this, I will form an assembly of members willing to participate actively in certain forums, and display good conduct as well. I have no number on these, but everyone willing to join can PM me now, or after the election, in case my administration is elected, and I will take it up for consideration. If someone who is credible, trustworthy, and has other notable qualities, feels that they can be part of my team of advisers, they can PM me too. I will probably make a public notice on this in case the role effectively applies to me.

I hope that answers your questions.