Jump to topic:

The Way to get Juggles attention again

Unitomic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 1:34:26 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
is to increase the financial worth of the site.

Perhaps we should bounce around a few ideas on how to do this. Certainly getting new members to join (AND STAY) is a good thought. How to achieve that though is the question. Or perhaps there are other means.

Either how it goes beyond saying that we don't get Juggles attention (and therefore don't get updates we would like) unless we make ourselves more valuable to them.

Thoughts?
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 1:50:12 AM
At 12/10/2014 1:34:26 AM, Unitomic wrote:

Perhaps we should bounce around a few ideas on how to do this. Certainly getting new members to join (AND STAY) is a good thought. How to achieve that though is the question. Or perhaps there are other means.

Either how it goes beyond saying that we don't get Juggles attention (and therefore don't get updates we would like) unless we make ourselves more valuable to them.

Thoughts?

To be frank, the site's value in terms of moneymaking is not based on members who stay, except in the sense that they make the site the place that the folks who swing by briefly want to swing by.

This site's revenue is largely generated from the ads. The ads get them revenue from their traffic, and their traffic is driven by the polls and opinions section. These are the sections LEAST liked by the regular members at large, but they are the ones that drive traffic here for ad revenue, which is why they were put in place (a year ago IIRC, so an entire administration-and-a-bit ago).

Neither the debate section nor the forums are the moneymakers in their own right.

I am of the opinion that they COULD be--that there are changes we could institute that WOULD make them more financially valuable. But instituting any of those changes requires them to put out resources and money in the hopes of it working, when they have something working now that costs them 0 resources (save for the power and internet bill). It's not going to be impossible to change their minds. I firmly believe I can do it, because I firmly believe in the value of DDO.

But changing their mind requires an understanding of where they're coming from in order to do the changing. Merely harping on something doesn't get someone to throw good money away--you have to convince them they're not throwing it away (and be right).
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 1:57:22 AM
At 12/10/2014 1:50:12 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:

Thoughts?

To be frank, the site's value in terms of moneymaking is not based on members who stay, except in the sense that they make the site the place that the folks who swing by briefly want to swing by.

This site's revenue is largely generated from the ads. The ads get them revenue from their traffic, and their traffic is driven by the polls and opinions section. These are the sections LEAST liked by the regular members at large, but they are the ones that drive traffic here for ad revenue, which is why they were put in place (a year ago IIRC, so an entire administration-and-a-bit ago).

Neither the debate section nor the forums are the moneymakers in their own right.

I am of the opinion that they COULD be--that there are changes we could institute that WOULD make them more financially valuable. But instituting any of those changes requires them to put out resources and money in the hopes of it working, when they have something working now that costs them 0 resources (save for the power and internet bill). It's not going to be impossible to change their minds. I firmly believe I can do it, because I firmly believe in the value of DDO.

But changing their mind requires an understanding of where they're coming from in order to do the changing. Merely harping on something doesn't get someone to throw good money away--you have to convince them they're not throwing it away (and be right).

I smell Fundraiser <_<
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 2:17:10 AM
At 12/10/2014 2:00:19 AM, Unitomic wrote:
Why exactly is the Opinions and Polls hated so dearly? Just curious.

The site didn't originally have them. When they were instituted, it was seen by many as an affront to the purpose...the Opinions section isn't really a "debate", and the Polls section doesn't really encourage or allow extensive discussion on subjects. It's seen as pulling in folks who aren't actually interested in debating as much as they are in expounding and then not responding. I think several members who are good, contributing members have come from those sections, but I understand the issues that folks have with them.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 2:33:31 AM
At 12/10/2014 1:57:22 AM, donald.keller wrote:
At 12/10/2014 1:50:12 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:

Thoughts?

I smell Fundraiser <_<

that is a solid idea ffs