Some bladerunner 2015 positions

bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 11:48:18 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
More platform stuff

Some folks have had questions regarding details of my administration if I'm lucky enough to win this term's election. I believe my platform, as posted, is solid. I don't want to make promises I'm not certain I can keep. That said, there are certain things worth mentioning as intentions.

First, let me just say that ANY member with an idea should let my administration know! I want as many ideas as possible. That has ALWAYS been my position, since my administration began. I feel as though sometimes it takes an election--even a contentious one--to really make people fired up about their ideas. And that elections do that is awesome. My platform is based on what I think is most important, and most accomplishable, during my administration. But I have never, and will never, refuse to hear a good idea, or refuse to help with a good idea. I don't say "no" to people wanting to help make DDO better! I will help implement literally ANY plan I can to make DDO better. That's the most important thing.

Second, to get more specific, I obviously endorse Unitomic's Peacekeeper initiative. He has clearly put a lot of thought into it and it would be an expansion of it. He's agreed to work on it with either candidate who wins--I think that's fantastic. Mirza already has experience with the similar program I instituted on a smaller scale near the end of this term, the Ambassadors program, and while it will be Unitomic's baby, I think having Mirza help him in his role as Secretary of Forum Affairs will ensure its success. Airmax had already supported the expansion of the Ambassadors program; transitioning to the peacekeepers is not going to be a difficult task, and will serve the exact same purpose of intention. Of course, Thett, Cermank, and myself will be able to step in to help!

Third, as to the topic of "fanfiction" (which I recognize as something of a misnomer, but the name's stuck). I remember when the first fanfictions began to get posted in the DDO forum. At the time, there weren't many, and so it wasn't a distraction to have them in there. But now, we have a lot of them, and the trend has been to keep posting them where they've always been posted, in the DDO forum. That should not be where they go, any more than mafia games should go there. Mafia games go in the games forum, and fanfiction should go in the personal or entertainment forum. But that's a cultural shift, and it requires both that we decide, as a community, which of those two obvious options to place them in, AND ALSO requires us to recognize why they're posted in the DDO forum: getting them seen. No one wants to work hard on a creative effort, put it out, and have nobody see it just because nobody checks. Any effort to move the standard of posting of fanfiction to another forum must be coupled with revitalization efforts to ensure that the fanfics get the attention they deserve.

Fourth, while I'll preface that updates to the site cannot be promised, because they require Juggle to put resources into doing so, I certainly keep a lot of ideas on hand--what is most important varies depending on the needs of the community, and I'm always happy to add to the list.

Some important ones I'd love to execute include:

- Updating the front page
- Expanding RFDs
- Spam reduction measures
- More personalized profiles for users
- Instant messaging system, and allowing the addition of people to PMs pot hoc, instead of having to create a whole new PM
- New categories for the polls, opinions, and debates--such as history, for example.
- And automated tournament bracket system

But the list goes on and on. As we all know, right now Juggle is not devoting resources to the site. The moment they do, I know exactly the things I want to push for--and the order that will be most beneficial to the community. The list will, most likely, never end--there will ALWAYS be more things. The important thing is to understand prioritization.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 11:55:23 PM
Just to let you know we can use DDOfans.org for stuff like fan fictions. I stopped working on it because no one was visiting the page anymore, but I put a lot of time and effort into the site and would hate to see it go to waste. If you need I can hand over one of your staff privileges to the fan fiction area to make that the designated place for them. I can also put some extra work into bring them attention some how. Let me know what you want to do when you win this election ;-)
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 11:59:04 PM
I'm glad you posted this, Bladerunner, for many members here, I believe, have the misconception that you are supporting the status quo, which is, certainly, far from the truth. In addition, I will note that I would indeed cooperate Unitomic with the Peacekeeper initiative if that serves the best for the community. Should there be thoughts on how it will be implemented, and whether or not there can be made improvements, I would always support the best case there can be made.

Concerning Juggle, as always it is important to outline that there are ideas, and they will be pushed through the moment they open the doors to a discussion.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 12:00:13 AM
At 12/10/2014 11:59:04 PM, Mirza wrote:
I'm glad you posted this, Bladerunner, for many members here, I believe, have the misconception that you are supporting the status quo, which is, certainly, far from the truth.

^ This. So much this.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
headphonegut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 12:00:30 AM
At 12/10/2014 11:55:23 PM, TUF wrote:
Just to let you know we can use DDOfans.org for stuff like fan fictions. I stopped working on it because no one was visiting the page anymore, but I put a lot of time and effort into the site and would hate to see it go to waste. If you need I can hand over one of your staff privileges to the fan fiction area to make that the designated place for them. I can also put some extra work into bring them attention some how. Let me know what you want to do when you win this election ;-)

Yes please do.
crying to soldiers coming home to their dogs why do I torment myself with these videos?
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 12:03:38 AM
I'm glad you posted this, Bladerunner, for many members here, I believe, have the misconception that you are supporting the status quo, which is, certainly, far from the truth.

can't stress this enough
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 12:16:36 AM
At 12/11/2014 12:03:38 AM, Cermank wrote:

can't stress this enough

Agreed.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 12:24:03 AM
At 12/11/2014 12:03:38 AM, Cermank wrote:

can't stress this enough
The day will come when we have stressed it enough.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 12:26:24 AM

It would be great if the link to the site could be stickied somewhere too. Maybe a "outside resources sticky" with links to DDOfans, the DDO blog, and the DDO wiki--that'd be nice.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 12:29:50 AM

Concerning Juggle, as always it is important to outline that there are ideas, and they will be pushed through the moment they open the doors to a discussion.

Yeah, I think that is important to note. Blade realizes that Juggle's cooperation is unlikely--but in the event that they do want to get something done, he does have positive ideas that he wants to push for.

The main thrust of his platform may be on pragmatic things that he can do himself, but he isn't without ideas as regards Juggle.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 12:30:42 AM
At 12/11/2014 12:26:24 AM, bsh1 wrote:

It would be great if the link to the site could be stickied somewhere too. Maybe a "outside resources sticky" with links to DDOfans, the DDO blog, and the DDO wiki--that'd be nice.

I would love for them all to be consolidated, I actually think I made a link for the wiki on DDOfans, but I can actually make it a page for the website. I'd be willing to do all of this, if we could get people to actually use the site more. Granted it probably needs a lot of work and updating to be more user friendly, it at least is capable of viewing blogs, articles, fan-fics, and web show episodes, as well as chatting of course.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 12:30:51 AM
At 12/11/2014 12:29:50 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Yeah, I think that is important to note. Blade realizes that Juggle's cooperation is unlikely--but in the event that they do want to get something done, he does have positive ideas that he wants to push for.

The main thrust of his platform may be on pragmatic things that he can do himself, but he isn't without ideas as regards Juggle.
Correct. That must be noted.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 12:32:10 AM
At 12/11/2014 12:30:42 AM, TUF wrote:

I would love for them all to be consolidated, I actually think I made a link for the wiki on DDOfans, but I can actually make it a page for the website. I'd be willing to do all of this, if we could get people to actually use the site more. Granted it probably needs a lot of work and updating to be more user friendly, it at least is capable of viewing blogs, articles, fan-fics, and web show episodes, as well as chatting of course.

I think it could be a really great resource if more people used it, you're right. I think promoting it would be a really good thing.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 12:34:15 AM
At 12/11/2014 12:32:10 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 12/11/2014 12:30:42 AM, TUF wrote:

I think it could be a really great resource if more people used it, you're right. I think promoting it would be a really good thing.

Airmax, if you are reading this, and if blade agrees to make this part of his community efforts, I am more than willing to devote time back into it.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 12:36:22 AM
I think moving the fanfictions to DDOfans would need a significant amount of work. I know I stopped going there when I couldn't update my own fanfic (and it stopped being updated mid-way through). Nor is there really an easy way to comment on them there. The writers lack agency, the readers lack a way to communicate with them and each other - I'd rather see them revitalize the arts or entertainment section. I have plans to try so,etching for that.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 12:36:46 AM
At 12/11/2014 12:36:22 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
I think moving the fanfictions to DDOfans would need a significant amount of work. I know I stopped going there when I couldn't update my own fanfic (and it stopped being updated mid-way through). Nor is there really an easy way to comment on them there. The writers lack agency, the readers lack a way to communicate with them and each other - I'd rather see them revitalize the arts or entertainment section. I have plans to try something for that.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 12:39:26 AM
I think moving the fanfictions to DDOfans would need a significant amount of work. I know I stopped going there when I couldn't update my own fanfic (and it stopped being updated mid-way through). Nor is there really an easy way to comment on them there. The writers lack agency, the readers lack a way to communicate with them and each other - I'd rather see them revitalize the arts or entertainment section. I have plans to try so,etching for that.

So if I put all that in, do you think that would be something you and other users would use?
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 12:43:24 AM
At 12/11/2014 12:39:26 AM, TUF wrote:

So if I put all that in, do you think that would be something you and other users would use?

I think I'd have to see it first, but yes, in theory.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 2:24:56 AM
Since this may be my very last chance to bump stuff...BUMP...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics