Jump to topic:

Get to Know Mikal

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 5:49:31 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I think here are the best quotes from a few people's endorsement threads that best encapsulate Mikal:

YYW: "What Mikal represents to DDO is all that we would hope for our community to be. He is indebted to the community, for how we reached out to him in his time of need and in many ways this is an opportunity for him to uniquely give back. . . . And in that way, what Mikal's campaign represents the best in all of us, as a symbol of the warmth and good will that so characterizes our community. . . . While there is a certain comfort in the way things are, Mikal has demonstrated his willingness to pursue more. . . . Mikal is busy trying to figure out what and how he can best serve the community. The reason is because rather than complaining about the impossibility of a situation, Mikal is far more interested in figuring out what needs to be done to make things happen. . . . We do not elect presidents on the basis of who won't rock the boat, as Cermank and others have suggested we do. We elect people on the basis of who will stand up for what we want, and who will not bend in pursuit of those ends."

bluesteel: "It comes down to passion. Mikal has revitalized the site in many ways in my mind, merely by being a member. Personally, there was nothing on this site that really made me want to come back and stay until Mikal joined and got users like me more involved, by wanting to discuss debate arguments, do team debates, and do Hangouts and live mafia, where members actually got to interact with each other in a way that's not possible on DDO itself. I think Mikal has a similar effect on other people. He made imabench want to come back merely to have a chance to revitalize the site and improve it. . . . Defro also stated in his endorsement video that he came back to the site simply because he heard Mikal was running. Mikal ignites passion in the people around him. . . . I think that's the difference passion makes; it means you'll get more ideas from Mikal and his administration over the course of the next year. His presidency doesn't just come down to the campaign promises already put forward. It comes with an intense desire to brainstorm new ideas even after the election is over. Other candidates have promised what they see as more achievable goals. But big change only happens with big dreams. If people never dreamed big, we'd still be stuck with Yahoo search; we would have no smart phones (because it was too crazy an idea to have expensive phones that were also mp3 players), and Tesla would have been dead on arrival (an electric car people actually want to drive, that's nuts). Mikal sees what this site *can* be, not merely what it currently is. . . . I want a candidate that is like 2008 Obama, who has passion and drive. I want someone who makes me excited about where this site is going again. . . . [With the trial system that both sides now endorse], Mikal took an idea that YYW and I discussed a lot in a thread many months ago and got the site to take it seriously. Because that's the kind of guy he is. He has the passion to really push for things. Eddie is a great even-handed leader, but he was absent from that discussion when it occurred a few months ago, and he's a bit absent from the forums in general. I think Mikal would do a better job listening to what the community wants and will do a better job adapting his administration to changing circumstances. . . . So ultimately, to me, it comes down to whether I want a candidate who asks, 'What can I do for you, the members who I really like and appreciate, to make this site better?' versus a candidate who asks, 'What is the easiest, lowest hanging fruit I can promise you?'" I chose to run with the candidate who I think can increase community engagement because I think that's what the Presidency is really about. It's not a 'Juggle relations chair' position. . ."

blade-of-truth: "[Mikal] has never folded under pressure, he is firm in his opinions and he's overcome great challenges thrown in his path throughout life which, I believe, contributed to the physical and mental dexterity he has today. Mikal was one of the few who supported me when I first birthed the idea of The Supreme Council of Determination, while others scorned, laughed, or cursed my idea saying it would never last. Additionally, Mikal has a certain energy about him. If you've ever been in a Google hangout with him, you know exactly what I mean. Mikal has this unique power to take an empty hangout room, and have it filled and overflowing with conversation in a matter of minutes. He has fostered a close relationship with Airmax, and here's the kicker - they compliment each other perfectly. Mikal with his non-stop ideas, and Airmax with his voice of reason. . . . Here is a young man who is capable, willing, and grateful to serve DDO. He is indebted to us, which only adds fuel to the fire found in his desire to serve us as the elected official and mediator between us, moderation, and juggle. We had his best interests in mind when we chose to help him overcome a great challenge. Now is the time to recognize that he also has our best interests in mind. . . . I know that he will do everything in his power to make sure that the community which helped him, receives any and all help in return."

GCL: " I am voting for [Mikal] because he is a person who when he says he will do something actually does it. . . . He has shown growth from what I have seen and has definitely gotten my respect. . . . Mikal shows promise in this, he does not just want to become president just because of some 'ego' issue, he is wanting to do this to return the favor that we as DDO members gave to him when he needed our help. . . . this a chance of proving not just to us as users, but to himself that he MUST stand strong and do everything in his power to reach all of our needs. I firmly believe he has the sites best interests at heart and will do everything in his power to make it a better place. He has shown nothing but compassion and love for the site, and that has earned not just respect but my pledge to his campaign. . . . Bladerunner did a FINE job as president, but I see no harm in allowing someone such as Mikal to have a chance . . . Mikal has shown a great deal of change and growth within himself just since the start of this election alone. It is rare for me to take an objective stance on any type of voting such as this, but throughout our friendship Mikal has kept his promises to me and showed me as a person he is trustworthy and achieves what he promises. . . . let us give Mikal a chance now."
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 6:29:43 PM
At 12/12/2014 5:49:31 PM, YYW wrote:
GCL: " I am voting for [Mikal] because he is a person who when he says he will do something actually does it. . . . He has shown growth from what I have seen and has definitely gotten my respect. . . . Mikal shows promise in this, he does not just want to become president just because of some 'ego' issue, he is wanting to do this to return the favor that we as DDO members gave to him when he needed our help. . . . this a chance of proving not just to us as users, but to himself that he MUST stand strong and do everything in his power to reach all of our needs. I firmly believe he has the sites best interests at heart and will do everything in his power to make it a better place. He has shown nothing but compassion and love for the site, and that has earned not just respect but my pledge to his campaign. . . . Bladerunner did a FINE job as president, but I see no harm in allowing someone such as Mikal to have a chance . . . Mikal has shown a great deal of change and growth within himself just since the start of this election alone. It is rare for me to take an objective stance on any type of voting such as this, but throughout our friendship Mikal has kept his promises to me and showed me as a person he is trustworthy and achieves what he promises. . . . let us give Mikal a chance now."

When did Marie say this?
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 6:30:56 PM
At 12/12/2014 6:29:43 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

When did Marie say this?

When she wrote her endorsement thread.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 6:32:01 PM
At 12/12/2014 6:29:43 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

When did Marie say this?

i think she made an endorsement thread a while ago that has since been buried in a heap of other election stuff.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015