Jump to topic:

DDO's Voting Requirements

dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 11:23:59 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
The current voting requirements are too lax. Voting is a privilege for true members of DDO who have a legitimate stake in this site. It's not elitist to suggest that noobs are unfit to vote anymore than it's elitist to suggest that aliens from another planet are unfit to vote in elections here on earth. Below I outline four reasons why allowing noobs to vote is problematic.

1. Lack of experience means they cannot properly evaluate candidates' platforms. What sounds good to someone who's relatively unfamiliar with DDO and its past is not necessarily relevant. They can't be expected to know what will be good for a site they've barely used.

2. Lack of familiarity with the candidates means that important character qualities like maturity, persistence and honesty become largely irrelevant. They simply don't know the candidates very well.

3. If the candidate they vote for turns out to be a disaster, they probably won't be here to suffer the consequences. Noobs are often transient and unconcerned members.

4. Since they don't really care who wins the election, they are easily swayed. This means that election spam gives candidates a significant advantage. The most qualified candidate should win, not the candidate who spammed the most noobs.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 11:26:13 AM

Amen
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 11:30:51 AM
I don't think you'll win that it's not elitist since what you're advocating for is, by definition, elitist. You're better off arguing why elitism in this case isn't bad.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 11:33:30 AM
At 12/13/2014 11:23:59 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
The current voting requirements are too lax. Voting is a privilege for true members of DDO who have a legitimate stake in this site. It's not elitist to suggest that noobs are unfit to vote anymore than it's elitist to suggest that aliens from another planet are unfit to vote in elections here on earth. Below I outline four reasons why allowing noobs to vote is problematic.

1. Lack of experience means they cannot properly evaluate candidates' platforms. What sounds good to someone who's relatively unfamiliar with DDO and its past is not necessarily relevant. They can't be expected to know what will be good for a site they've barely used.

2. Lack of familiarity with the candidates means that important character qualities like maturity, persistence and honesty become largely irrelevant. They simply don't know the candidates very well.

3. If the candidate they vote for turns out to be a disaster, they probably won't be here to suffer the consequences. Noobs are often transient and unconcerned members.

4. Since they don't really care who wins the election, they are easily swayed. This means that election spam gives candidates a significant advantage. The most qualified candidate should win, not the candidate who spammed the most noobs.

What is your definition of noob?
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 11:35:24 AM
At 12/13/2014 11:30:51 AM, Zaradi wrote:
I don't think you'll win that it's not elitist since what you're advocating for is, by definition, elitist. You're better off arguing why elitism in this case isn't bad.

I didn't say it's not elitist. I said it's not anymore elitist than disallowing aliens to vote in elections here on earth.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 11:38:28 AM
At 12/13/2014 11:33:30 AM, mishapqueen wrote:

"A person who is inexperienced in a particular sphere or activity" (in this case, DDO).
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 11:41:52 AM
Would you be opposed to making the current restrictions tighter (such as the no FFs in 3 debates) along with adding new requirements to include people who don't do a lot of debating or forum posting but they are relevant members of the site (see: PetersSmith)?
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 11:43:44 AM
At 12/13/2014 11:38:28 AM, dylancatlow wrote:

"A person who is inexperienced in a particular sphere or activity" (in this case, DDO).

Well, at what point does a person become experienced? We need to have a brightline.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 11:43:59 AM
At 12/13/2014 11:41:52 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Would you be opposed to making the current restrictions tighter (such as the no FFs in 3 debates) along with adding new requirements to include people who don't do a lot of debating or forum posting but they are relevant members of the site (see: PetersSmith)?

I support any set of criteria that can accurately distinguish noobs from non-noobs, so yes.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 11:44:46 AM
At 12/13/2014 11:43:44 AM, mishapqueen wrote:

Well, at what point does a person become experienced? We need to have a brightline.

I don't know, but surely not after they've completed 3 debates.
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 11:45:08 AM
You know what we could do...

Instead of having a forum or a poll to decide, we could have a debate. But not a normal debate, more like a spam debate. 1 round, and the two candidates against eachother. Neither one argues whatsoever.

However, we can set whoever can vote, meaning we can strictly enforce the requirements. Age, ELO, or selected judges are all present. The voters will vote (select winner) for who they want to win, and there would not have to be any rechecks, and all conversation will go on in the comment section. The ballots would be easy to count, requirements would be easy to hold, and it would overall be a lot better.

Since the elections pretty much always boils down between two candidates, this would work out.
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 11:46:22 AM
At 12/13/2014 11:44:46 AM, dylancatlow wrote:

How does the completion of three debates help people be more informed about the candidates?

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 11:47:56 AM
At 12/13/2014 11:46:22 AM, mishapqueen wrote:

How does the completion of three debates help people be more informed about the candidates?

I didn't say it does?
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 11:49:28 AM
At 12/13/2014 11:43:59 AM, dylancatlow wrote:

I support any set of criteria that can accurately distinguish noobs from non-noobs, so yes.

I think that the forum post count thing is fine as is, but that the debate count should be put higher, and we should be more inclusive to those who spend a lot of time on the polls and opinions sections...and adding something for length of membership should be good: even if they haven't met a requirement, if they've been a member for (x) time, they can vote, and they can't vote even if they have met a requirement if they've only been a member for (y) time.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 11:52:48 AM
At 12/13/2014 11:47:56 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 12/13/2014 11:46:22 AM, mishapqueen wrote:

I didn't say it does?

These are the problems you want to solve by banning noobs:

"Lack of experience means they cannot properly evaluate candidates' platforms. What sounds good to someone who's relatively unfamiliar with DDO and its past is not necessarily relevant. "

"Lack of familiarity with the candidates means that important character qualities like maturity, persistence and honesty become largely irrelevant. They simply don't know the candidates very well. "

So, I'm not trying to put you on trial, I'm trying to understand. You have a point about noobs voting, but we need to find a brightline definition that solves the problem at hand. Just doing three debates may not help noobs become acquainted with DDO history and candidates.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 11:55:01 AM
At 12/13/2014 11:52:48 AM, mishapqueen wrote:

So, I'm not trying to put you on trial, I'm trying to understand. You have a point about noobs voting, but we need to find a brightline definition that solves the problem at hand. Just doing three debates may not help noobs become acquainted with DDO history and candidates.

I think you misread something, since I agree that completing three debates is not sufficient.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 11:56:26 AM
At 12/13/2014 11:55:01 AM, dylancatlow wrote:

I think you misread something, since I agree that completing three debates is not sufficient.

Okay, so when will a noob be able to vote?

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 11:56:55 AM
At 12/13/2014 11:56:26 AM, mishapqueen wrote:

I don't know, but not upon completing three debates.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 11:57:58 AM

I wouldn't say we make them tighter retroactively since the voting has already begun. But next election sure. But you may be talking about loosening restriction to get more people to vote?
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 11:59:36 AM
At 12/13/2014 11:56:55 AM, dylancatlow wrote:

Okay. I agree with you that people who are brand new should get to know the site more. But there are people like PetersSmith who do not fit the brightline, but who know the candidates. It's hard to quantify experience.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 12:01:42 PM
At 12/13/2014 11:59:36 AM, mishapqueen wrote:

Okay. I agree with you that people who are brand new should get to know the site more. But there are people like PetersSmith who do not fit the brightline, but who know the candidates. It's hard to quantify experience.

I agree, but we should try for the best, not settle for bad requirements because one or two members don't qualify.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 12:01:48 PM
At 12/13/2014 11:35:24 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 12/13/2014 11:30:51 AM, Zaradi wrote:

I didn't say it's not elitist. I said it's not anymore elitist than disallowing aliens to vote in elections here on earth.

Aliens should have a right to vote in elections if they become citizens.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 12:03:15 PM
At 12/13/2014 11:57:58 AM, Bennett91 wrote:

I wouldn't say we make them tighter retroactively since the voting has already begun. But next election sure. But you may be talking about loosening restriction to get more people to vote?

I'd do it next election.

I'd tighten the debates thing, but add new things to be more inclusive of the site as a whole.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 12:03:17 PM
At 12/13/2014 12:01:42 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 12/13/2014 11:59:36 AM, mishapqueen wrote:

I agree, but we should try for the best, not settle for bad requirements because one or two members don't qualify.

It's definitely something to be considered.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 12:04:18 PM
At 12/13/2014 12:03:15 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

I'd do it next election.

I'd tighten the debates thing, but add new things to be more inclusive of the site as a whole.

Like make it 5 completed debates with no FF?
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 12:05:15 PM

Lol, you act like it's hard to determine who to support. All it requires it to read over the candidates platforms and determine which is most aligned with your own goals, ambitions, or preferences. You don't need to know these guys, nor do you need to know alot about the site. By reading their platforms you can form an understanding of what the key issues are regarding this site and see why or how each candidate wants to tackle them.

Reaching out to people who aren't very active is the best thing someone can do because it might then spark their interest in such things. If they truly aren't interested, then they aren't going to vote - simple as that. The fact that one candidate reaches out to them instead of the other is something that happens all the time in politics. In fact, alot of Obama's success during his second election is due to the fact that he never stopped campaigning during his first 4 years. During that time he still had bases of operations in most of the major cities, with people constantly going out and supporting him.

It's the same here. One presidential candidate obviously had the dexterity to do what the other didn't - reach out to the unknowns and bring them in. People are acting like this is a bad thing but they all need a reality check, because this is how real campaigning actually works. Additionally, no-one can deny that it does actually work, look at the results right now of this election - who the hell would have thought it'd be this close when Mikal first announced?! What is happening right now is amazing, we are all witness to the most active and impactful election that's ever taken place on DDO. The voter turnout is literally breaking records right now.

Perhaps all we actually need is a shift in perspective. Because I'm ecstatic that this election is turning out the way it is. The activity levels of everyone is through the roof and I think it's awesome. Love it or Hate it, this election is one for the record books.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 12:07:24 PM
At 12/13/2014 12:04:18 PM, Bennett91 wrote:

I'd do it next election.

Around there...I was thinking 7...

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 12:07:59 PM

I'll debate you in this. You're dead wrong.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 12:11:23 PM
At 12/13/2014 12:07:24 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 12/13/2014 12:04:18 PM, Bennett91 wrote:

I'd do it next election.

Around there...I was thinking 7...

7?! That's gonna be hard, not even I qualify for that. A lot of people have opponents that FF, it's hard to control. I barely even passed the forum post requirement. But I found a way, oh yes I did ... muhaha muhahahahaha