Jump to topic:

The Official Imabench VP Agenda

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 12:40:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I stayed quiet most of the election mostly because I saw myself as a liability towards Mikal's efforts to be elected, and I didnt want to do or propose anything that might cause me to 'Sarah Palin' the election for him. Now that I am VP though, I can go ahead and basically present the list of things I would like to do as the VP over the course of the next 6 months (besides the once every two week Ballbuster vids)

== 1 == DDO, the Music Video == 1 ==

A while ago, Drafterman came to me with the idea of making a 'Boom-De-Yada' video (if you dont know what it is just google it) where famous users on DDO would record themselves singing a song about what they love about DDO the most, and then put all of the video's together into one epic Music Video for DDO.... It didn't work out the first time because only 50% of people who were asked volunteered to be a part of the video, and of that 50%, another 50% never got around to actually recording themselves singing the lyrics and then emailing the vid to me.... The video's people did send me have since been lost to the depths of time, which is a shame because Freedo sent in a vid of him singing his lines while in a banana suit playing a Ukulele before locking himself in the trunk of a car....

I would like to revive this effort to make a music video for DDO and I plan on appointing a group of interested people to a committee or something so that we can sort out which song would be sung, and then reach out to people who would be willing to participate in helping make it. Anyone interested can sign-up in this thread I suppose,I might make another thread for it later, but any serious effort towards making this thing will have to come only AFTER I film me singing my version of Let it Go, since that petition is filling up faster than I anticipated.

== 2 == Mail A Vote == 2 ==

Now, I have absolutely zero willingness to debate almost anything at this point, mostly from fatigue I have suffered from after already doing well over 500 of them. The Polls and Opinions arent my cup of tea either, but at the same time the forums wont be able to consume all of my free time. So, I am going to open up my PM's and allow people to mail me any debate they want me to vote on, and I shall vote on it, ON THE CONDITION THAT they must type out a few sentences of why they Like Frozen so much. (You could also submit a video of your favorite Taylor Swift Song and I will accept that instead if you wish). The quickest way to be a useful member to this site is to vote on debates, so I might as well go balls to the wall and start cranking up how much I vote on debates around here.

(Also, 5 round debates will not be eligible to receive my vote. I don't want to feel like i'm doing homework when reading the damn thing)

== 3 == Voting Reforms == 3 ==

A lot of chatter has already been made about possible reforms to voting since everyone can agree that a lot of questionable sh*t happened during this past election. Some of my favorite ideas that have been mentioned are listed below:

- Can't change your vote after it is casted (So that people wont harass voters over who they voted for)
- Addition of a 'minimum amount of time on the site' requirement to be able to vote
- Consideration of Polls and Opinions activity into becoming eligible to vote
- A 'Do Not Contact list' where people can sign up to not receive campaign PM's
- A ban on campaign PM's sent to 100 people at the same time (instead of just individually sent to people)

I also had one idea that I originally only discussed with Airmax that I want to open up discussion on with everyone else, the idea of voter registration. (this is just an idea I want to explore, not something I plan on advocating unless there is widespread support for it)

Two words: Voter. Registration.

How it would work is that all of the voter requirements that exist or are being proposed would instead be changed to become registration requirements, and people who wanted to vote in the election would have to register to vote, with the registration deadline being about 2 weeks before an election. I believe that this would ensure that people who really are interested in the direction of this site have most of the say in who to elect, while making it impossible for candidates to farm the noob vote once the election has already started. In addition, all members who have already had over 3000 forum posts or 30 completed debates would automatically become registered to vote, so that legit members don't accidentally become disenfranchised because they didn't actually register to vote before the deadline for whatever reason. All members who are registered to vote will be kept on some sort of 'Registered' list, and only members on the list of registered voters would be able to cast votes in an election.

(Again, this is just an idea I am pitching to gauge whether people like it or not, i'm not actually advocating for this system as of right now, even though I would like to)

== 4 == Mini-tournaments == 4 ==

Debate tournaments are always a favorite for presidential hopefuls to promise to organize if elected, but anyone who has been in or hosted a tournament knows that they take frickin FOREVER to progress, either because too many people are waiting for someone else to finish their debate, disagreement over the topic, or because the debating period of the debates themselves end up stretching into several weeks.

So, Im looking into making and hosting mini-tournaments.... Tournaments where only 4 people can participate, debates are a maximum of 3 rounds, and a small character limit is imposed in every debate (like 3k or 4k). A mini-tournament would be like the 'one-night-stand' version of tournaments, where people can 'do it' just for some fun without having to commit to anything, and if they become popular enough there could be some significant recognition for winners somewhere.

== 5 == Bringing back the DDO Walking Dead == 5 ==

The DDO Walking Dead, one of my favorite contributions to the site that started one hell of a trend, ended a while ago as perhaps the most famous DDO fanfiction series to ever have been made on here. However, I ended the series precisely at 38 episodes, which as a person with crippling OCD when it comes to numbers is unacceptable to me.

So, I thought about writing two one-shots just to bump it up to 40.

Then, I thought that 50 would be a much nicer number to end on than 40

So I am going to make a 12 episode season of the DDO Walking Dead that will exclusively feature new members who didn't have the fortune of appearing in, and then being brutally killed off in, the first series.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 12:47:37 PM
noice
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 12:50:54 PM
Looks pretty solid to me.
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 12:52:03 PM
At 12/15/2014 12:40:50 PM, imabench wrote:

A lot of chatter has already been made about possible reforms to voting since everyone can agree that a lot of questionable sh*t happened during this past election. Some of my favorite ideas that have been mentioned are listed below:

- Can't change your vote after it is casted (So that people wont harass voters over who they voted for)
- Addition of a 'minimum amount of time on the site' requirement to be able to vote
- A ban on campaign PM's sent to 100 people at the same time (instead of just individually sent to people)
The only thing I would like to see is a recent activity qualifier.
Just because member X was a good user from three years ago, does not mean he should be able to vote because he came back on election day.

I also had one idea that I originally only discussed with Airmax that I want to open up discussion on with everyone else, the idea of voter registration. (this is just an idea I want to explore, not something I plan on advocating unless there is widespread support for it)

How it would work is that all of the voter requirements that exist or are being proposed would instead be changed to become registration requirements, and people who wanted to vote in the election would have to register to vote, with the registration deadline being about 2 weeks before an election. I believe that this would ensure that people who really are interested in the direction of this site have most of the say in who to elect, while making it impossible for candidates to farm the noob vote once the election has already started. In addition, all members who have already had over 3000 forum posts or 30 completed debates would automatically become registered to vote, so that legit members don't accidentally become disenfranchised because they didn't actually register to vote before the deadline for whatever reason. All members who are registered to vote will be kept on some sort of 'Registered' list, and only members on the list of registered voters would be able to cast votes in an election.
I like this as well, since people have to be active and care enough about the site to jump through one hoop to vote. After all, it isn't a popularity contest.

The only thing is the recent activity issue, IMO.

(Again, this is just an idea I am pitching to gauge whether people like it or not, i'm not actually advocating for this system as of right now, even though I would like to)

A true sign of a leader...
My work here is, finally, done.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 12:57:19 PM
At 12/15/2014 12:52:03 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

A thing I would like to see is a recent activity qualifier.
Just because member X was a good user from three years ago, does not mean he should be able to vote because he came back on election day.

You mean like some sort of statute of limitations on how long a member can be inactive yet still vote in an election?

A true sign of a leader...

Well i'm not going to advocate something if everyone else thinks its a dumb idea :P
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 1:10:56 PM
I stayed quiet most of the election mostly because I saw myself as a liability towards Mikal's efforts to be elected, and I didnt want to do or propose anything that might cause me to 'Sarah Palin' the election for him. Now that I am VP though, I can go ahead and basically present the list of things I would like to do as the VP over the course of the next 6 months (besides the once every two week Ballbuster vids)

A while ago, Drafterman came to me with the idea of making a 'Boom-De-Yada' video (if you dont know what it is just google it) where famous users on DDO would record themselves singing a song about what they love about DDO the most, and then put all of the video's together into one epic Music Video for DDO.... It didn't work out the first time because only 50% of people who were asked volunteered to be a part of the video, and of that 50%, another 50% never got around to actually recording themselves singing the lyrics and then emailing the vid to me.... The video's people did send me have since been lost to the depths of time, which is a shame because Freedo sent in a vid of him singing his lines while in a banana suit playing a Ukulele before locking himself in the trunk of a car....

I would like to revive this effort to make a music video for DDO and I plan on appointing a group of interested people to a committee or something so that we can sort out which song would be sung, and then reach out to people who would be willing to participate in helping make it. Anyone interested can sign-up in this thread I suppose,I might make another thread for it later, but any serious effort towards making this thing will have to come only AFTER I film me singing my version of Let it Go, since that petition is filling up faster than I anticipated.

Now, I have absolutely zero willingness to debate almost anything at this point, mostly from fatigue I have suffered from after already doing well over 500 of them. The Polls and Opinions arent my cup of tea either, but at the same time the forums wont be able to consume all of my free time. So, I am going to open up my PM's and allow people to mail me any debate they want me to vote on, and I shall vote on it, ON THE CONDITION THAT they must type out a few sentences of why they Like Frozen so much. (You could also submit a video of your favorite Taylor Swift Song and I will accept that instead if you wish). The quickest way to be a useful member to this site is to vote on debates, so I might as well go balls to the wall and start cranking up how much I vote on debates around here.

(Also, 5 round debates will not be eligible to receive my vote. I don't want to feel like i'm doing homework when reading the damn thing)

Debate tournaments are always a favorite for presidential hopefuls to promise to organize if elected, but anyone who has been in or hosted a tournament knows that they take frickin FOREVER to progress, either because too many people are waiting for someone else to finish their debate, disagreement over the topic, or because the debating period of the debates themselves end up stretching into several weeks.

So, Im looking into making and hosting mini-tournaments.... Tournaments where only 4 people can participate, debates are a maximum of 3 rounds, and a small character limit is imposed in every debate (like 3k or 4k). A mini-tournament would be like the 'one-night-stand' version of tournaments, where people can 'do it' just for some fun without having to commit to anything, and if they become popular enough there could be some significant recognition for winners somewhere.

The DDO Walking Dead, one of my favorite contributions to the site that started one hell of a trend, ended a while ago as perhaps the most famous DDO fanfiction series to ever have been made on here. However, I ended the series precisely at 38 episodes, which as a person with crippling OCD when it comes to numbers is unacceptable to me.

So I am going to make a 12 episode season of the DDO Walking Dead that will exclusively feature new members who didn't have the fortune of appearing in, and then being brutally killed off in, the first series.

AND WHAT OF THE GREMLINS?!
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 1:14:31 PM
At 12/15/2014 1:10:56 PM, Bennett91 wrote:

AND WHAT OF THE GREMLINS?!

Dont worry, they will get what they deserve to receive

Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 1:25:46 PM
At 12/15/2014 12:57:19 PM, imabench wrote:
At 12/15/2014 12:52:03 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

A thing I would like to see is a recent activity qualifier.

You mean like some sort of statute of limitations on how long a member can be inactive yet still vote in an election?

Yes. I'd say three months or more of inactivity before the election would suggest that a user is unaware of current issues on the website. Six months is a term, so it should be at least that.
This avoids an influx of old guard types (or even a legion of vanquished, though not permabanned, trolls) to come in and vote for a candidate who asked for a vote elsewhere (like via Facebook).

My work here is, finally, done.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 1:32:31 PM

Can I be in it?
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 1:34:26 PM
At 12/15/2014 1:32:31 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Can I be in it?

I'll make a sign-up thread after the HoF elections are over for the sake of not adding traffic to an already busy main forums

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 1:35:06 PM
At 12/15/2014 1:34:26 PM, imabench wrote:

Can I be in it?

I'll make a sign-up thread after the HoF elections are over for the sake of not adding traffic to an already busy main forums

Okay :)
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 1:36:22 PM

Can I be in it?

*signs up*
*gets killed in Episode 39*
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 2:22:11 PM

Voter ID laws?! Racist! Just come on out and admit that you hate all them Mexicans!

Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 3:18:09 PM
At 12/15/2014 1:36:22 PM, RevNge wrote:

Can I be in it?

*signs up*
*gets killed in Episode 39*

ironically thats probably going to happen to at least one poor bastard

SebUK
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 3:45:42 PM

good to see the VP try to develop the site too .
I WILL DECIDE WHAT THIS DEBATE IS ABOUT. I AM SPIRITUAL, NOT RELIGIOYUS. YOU DONT HAVE TO BE RELIGIOUS TO BELIEVE IN GOD, AND YOU DO WORSHIP MONEY IF YOU CARE MORE ABOUT YOUR WALLET THAAN YOU DO THE POOR. YOU ARE A TROLL THAT IS OUT FOR ATTENTUION."- SitaraMusica