Jump to topic:

HG's Election Analysis

1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 1:50:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The chaos of the 11th DDO Election is over and everything in DDO will transition slowly back to normality. Here's my analysis.

Why I Called the Election when I Did

By the 18th page on the forum when I projected Mikal would win, 150 votes or more had been counted. There were here 176 votes left, but the majority of voters had made their decision and the trend, while close, was going to continue. If we were in the same position for Bladerunner, I wouldn't have called it that early because of where Mikal's voters were coming from who could have potentially shown a late comeback. Had Bladerunner held a major lead by 150 votes I would have called it for him.

Bladerunner's Uncertain Popularity

Bladerunner did not walk into this election popular. He was no doubt respected, but not popular. Daltonian's poll on Dec. 7 showed that (http://www.debate.org...). The percentage of people supporting Blade was 46%. He still had a chance with 23% of voters undecided, but the problem with is that typically undecided voters will break for an alternative. All he needed was to get over 4% for a majority and that he failed to do showing some strong campaign work from the opposition. The voters were already not sure about Blade's presidency, so they were willing to look to someone else and Mikal was accepted. Generally incumbents have had the advantage unless there is an acceptable alternative. Weeks later, a poll without the option of being undecided showed 53% for Mikal and 47% for Blade (http://strawpoll.me...). This was similar to the actual results. Blade's campaign worked hard to get him a second term shown by how close it was, but Mikal was a toe ahead.

A curious factor from Daltonian's poll is the popularity of the VPs and Chiefs of Staff. A factor that could have potentially made the election close is that 54% viewed Cermank as favoible while 54% viewed Imabench as unfavorable. Obviously the question is how much this affected the close margin. A VP is the second-in-command and voters will take note of that. The only thing that needs to be debated here is how much influence the VP candidates had. The Chiefs of Staff were both popular and thus cancelled each other out.

Mikal's Campaign

We know Mikal was an acceptable alternative, but how he ran his campaign and the voters he gunned for was important. His campaign went primarily for voters that were less active in forums. If he did not do this he probably would have lost. Dylancatlow's statistics show this (http://www.debate.org...). His campaign sought voters elsewhere and bringing them in was successful to win. More data shows just how different the voter bases were. (http://www.debate.org...) It has been tried before, but never executed successfully. Mikal's campaign was able to do that. Most voters felt comfortable with Mikal and weren't scared he might ruin DDO. People did accept his posts on the issues and he did respond to criticism (not saying that Blade didn't though).

High Activity

This is no doubt the most active election in DDO history and that isn't just from the two campaigns who pushed voters. A variety of prominent DDO members made endorsements and lengthy reasons why to vote for Blade or Mikal. This influenced those 23 percent of undecided voters, but also may have brought voters who did not have an interest in voting start to have interest. Newer DDO members looked at the candidates and picked who they felt would benefit them (Mikal). This election is important in that it has sparked a new interest in DDO politics among users who were never previously interested before. This is a great sign as more people become active in DDO politics that will no doubt benefit the website as a whole.

Legacy

Like I said, it has spared a new interest among newer members of DDO. Mikal's strategy was to focus on this "silent majority" and they carried him to victory. However, could this new majority be killed instantly? A number of DDO users who are more active and have generally been on for a while are calling for more restrictions in voting so only members who are more active in DDO can vote. This will likely cut the number of voters next election. Obviously we will have to see if this becomes reality.

Thanks for reading,
HG
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
SebUK
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 3:00:04 PM
At 12/15/2014 1:50:28 PM, 1Historygenius wrote:
The chaos of the 11th DDO Election is over and everything in DDO will transition slowly back to normality. Here's my analysis.

By the 18th page on the forum when I projected Mikal would win, 150 votes or more had been counted. There were here 176 votes left, but the majority of voters had made their decision and the trend, while close, was going to continue. If we were in the same position for Bladerunner, I wouldn't have called it that early because of where Mikal's voters were coming from who could have potentially shown a late comeback. Had Bladerunner held a major lead by 150 votes I would have called it for him.

Bladerunner did not walk into this election popular. He was no doubt respected, but not popular. Daltonian's poll on Dec. 7 showed that (http://www.debate.org...). The percentage of people supporting Blade was 46%. He still had a chance with 23% of voters undecided, but the problem with is that typically undecided voters will break for an alternative. All he needed was to get over 4% for a majority and that he failed to do showing some strong campaign work from the opposition. The voters were already not sure about Blade's presidency, so they were willing to look to someone else and Mikal was accepted. Generally incumbents have had the advantage unless there is an acceptable alternative. Weeks later, a poll without the option of being undecided showed 53% for Mikal and 47% for Blade (http://strawpoll.me...). This was similar to the actual results. Blade's campaign worked hard to get him a second term shown by how close it was, but Mikal was a toe ahead.

A curious factor from Daltonian's poll is the popularity of the VPs and Chiefs of Staff. A factor that could have potentially made the election close is that 54% viewed Cermank as favoible while 54% viewed Imabench as unfavorable. Obviously the question is how much this affected the close margin. A VP is the second-in-command and voters will take note of that. The only thing that needs to be debated here is how much influence the VP candidates had. The Chiefs of Staff were both popular and thus cancelled each other out.

Mikal's Campaign

We know Mikal was an acceptable alternative, but how he ran his campaign and the voters he gunned for was important. His campaign went primarily for voters that were less active in forums. If he did not do this he probably would have lost. Dylancatlow's statistics show this (http://www.debate.org...). His campaign sought voters elsewhere and bringing them in was successful to win. More data shows just how different the voter bases were. (http://www.debate.org...) It has been tried before, but never executed successfully. Mikal's campaign was able to do that. Most voters felt comfortable with Mikal and weren't scared he might ruin DDO. People did accept his posts on the issues and he did respond to criticism (not saying that Blade didn't though).

High Activity

This is no doubt the most active election in DDO history and that isn't just from the two campaigns who pushed voters. A variety of prominent DDO members made endorsements and lengthy reasons why to vote for Blade or Mikal. This influenced those 23 percent of undecided voters, but also may have brought voters who did not have an interest in voting start to have interest. Newer DDO members looked at the candidates and picked who they felt would benefit them (Mikal). This election is important in that it has sparked a new interest in DDO politics among users who were never previously interested before. This is a great sign as more people become active in DDO politics that will no doubt benefit the website as a whole.

Legacy

Like I said, it has spared a new interest among newer members of DDO. Mikal's strategy was to focus on this "silent majority" and they carried him to victory. However, could this new majority be killed instantly? A number of DDO users who are more active and have generally been on for a while are calling for more restrictions in voting so only members who are more active in DDO can vote. This will likely cut the number of voters next election. Obviously we will have to see if this becomes reality.

Thanks for reading,
HG

Thanks for taking the effort to create an informative analysis.
I WILL DECIDE WHAT THIS DEBATE IS ABOUT. I AM SPIRITUAL, NOT RELIGIOYUS. YOU DONT HAVE TO BE RELIGIOUS TO BELIEVE IN GOD, AND YOU DO WORSHIP MONEY IF YOU CARE MORE ABOUT YOUR WALLET THAAN YOU DO THE POOR. YOU ARE A TROLL THAT IS OUT FOR ATTENTUION."- SitaraMusica
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 3:21:19 PM

Mikal's Campaign

High Activity

Legacy

Thanks for reading,
HG

This was a great read, Thanks for taking the time to read that much in depth to it :)
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 6:09:39 PM

Aww, that's the nicest thing someone's ever said about me

Mikal's Campaign

High Activity

Legacy

Thanks for reading,
HG

Thanks for writing.... Great read.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 6:27:11 PM
At 12/15/2014 3:00:04 PM, SebUK wrote:

Mikal's Campaign

High Activity

Legacy

Thanks for reading,
HG

Thanks for taking the effort to create an informative analysis.

Happy to help!

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 6:27:49 PM
At 12/15/2014 3:21:19 PM, Mikal wrote:

Mikal's Campaign

High Activity

Legacy

Thanks for reading,
HG

This was a great read, Thanks for taking the time to read that much in depth to it :)

No problem!

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 6:27:54 PM
Interesting that the poll so closely mirrored the actual results
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 6:28:17 PM
At 12/15/2014 6:09:39 PM, bluesteel wrote:

Aww, that's the nicest thing someone's ever said about me

Mikal's Campaign

High Activity

Legacy

Thanks for reading,
HG

Thanks for writing.... Great read.

Thank you.