Total Posts:71|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Anyone want to debate in favor of torture?

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 3:48:29 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I'm interested in someone willing to defend the CIA's methods, assuming all facts in the recent congressional report (which I will be happy to furnish you with a link to, but which I'm not going to post on the general forums) are true.

Anyone game?
Tsar of DDO
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 3:49:51 PM
At 12/15/2014 3:48:29 PM, YYW wrote:
I'm interested in someone willing to defend the CIA's methods, assuming all facts in the recent congressional report (which I will be happy to furnish you with a link to, but which I'm not going to post on the general forums) are true.

Anyone game?

You had to post this when I have like 6 debates going.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 3:50:25 PM
At 12/15/2014 3:49:51 PM, Wylted wrote:

Anyone game?

You had to post this when I have like 6 debates going.

lol sorry dude
Tsar of DDO
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 4:18:16 PM

Anyone game?

Fashion a debate with the rules and full resolution and I might be tempted. I want to know exactly what I am defending though.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 4:20:30 PM
At 12/15/2014 4:18:16 PM, Envisage wrote:

Anyone game?

Fashion a debate with the rules and full resolution and I might be tempted. I want to know exactly what I am defending though.

Fair point... maybe I should just post the link.

http://www.nytimes.com...

Have a look. Let me know what you think.

I'm going to use standard debate rules.
Tsar of DDO
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 4:22:24 PM

Anyone game?

lol, I'd only debate that it is an effective method of getting reliable information under certain circumstances (e.g. when the Nazis tortured people to force them to name co-conspirators), but probably almost completely ineffective in the War on Terror (cuz you have to be pretty sure the person *has* the knowledge you want before torturing) and that it's not moral. lol, so since i know you don't want to debate that, I'm out.

Can I get a tl;dr on the torture report? I saw something about it on Reddit, but was in finals mode and couldn't really read up.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 4:22:55 PM
At 12/15/2014 4:20:30 PM, YYW wrote:

Anyone game?

I mean, I don't want to debate whether or not the article is true, so a debate on the priori assumption that they are true is preferable. If so then listing the techniques in the resolution (whatever they are) and their purposes is necessary.

E.g.

The Torture Techniques XYZ were sufficiently justified/permissible/whatever
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 4:24:24 PM

Anyone game?

Holy f*ck. I am not reading a 500 page report just to find out what I am debating (!).
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 4:25:20 PM
At 12/15/2014 4:22:55 PM, Envisage wrote:

Anyone game?

I mean, I don't want to debate whether or not the article is true, so a debate on the priori assumption that they are true is preferable. If so then listing the techniques in the resolution (whatever they are) and their purposes is necessary.

E.g.

The Torture Techniques XYZ were sufficiently justified/permissible/whatever

So, maybe I wasn't clear....

assuming that the report is true, I want someone to defend what the CIA did.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 4:29:00 PM
At 12/15/2014 4:22:24 PM, bluesteel wrote:

Anyone game?

lol, I'd only debate that it is an effective method of getting reliable information under certain circumstances (e.g. when the Nazis tortured people to force them to name co-conspirators), but probably almost completely ineffective in the War on Terror (cuz you have to be pretty sure the person *has* the knowledge you want before torturing) and that it's not moral. lol, so since i know you don't want to debate that, I'm out.

Can I get a tl;dr on the torture report? I saw something about it on Reddit, but was in finals mode and couldn't really read up.

The US Government did some really fvcked up sh!t to people. Methods were purposed to dehumanize, inflict pain, cause psychological trauma and the like. I haven't read the report, but what I've seen is horrendous.
Tsar of DDO
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 4:32:09 PM
At 12/15/2014 4:29:00 PM, YYW wrote:

Anyone game?

The US Government did some really fvcked up sh!t to people. Methods were purposed to dehumanize, inflict pain, cause psychological trauma and the like. I haven't read the report, but what I've seen is horrendous.

I'm not remotely surprised. Have you seen the Abu Graib photos? Why would the CIA be any more humane to suspected Al Qaeda operatives than our military was to suspected Iraqi insurgents? We've also known for a long time that both waterboarding and sleep deprivation were approved methods they used. The humiliation stuff gets more of a visceral reaction from people, but if you ask special forces people who have to go through interrogation training, sleep deprivation and waterboarding are way worse than the humiliation-based techniques (in terms of their effects on your psyche).
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 4:33:09 PM
*interrogation training as in they are essentially subjected to mild torture to learn to stand up to it.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 4:44:09 PM
At 12/15/2014 4:32:09 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 12/15/2014 4:29:00 PM, YYW wrote:

Anyone game?

I'm not remotely surprised.

I'm not either, but it's one thing to "know" that it might be out there, whereas it's another thing entirely to be actually confronted with it.

Have you seen the Abu Graib photos?

Yes.

Why would the CIA be any more humane to suspected Al Qaeda operatives than our military was to suspected Iraqi insurgents? We've also known for a long time that both waterboarding and sleep deprivation were approved methods they used. The humiliation stuff gets more of a visceral reaction from people, but if you ask special forces people who have to go through interrogation training, sleep deprivation and waterboarding are way worse than the humiliation-based techniques (in terms of their effects on your psyche).

A lot of the stuff they did makes Abu Ghraib look tame.
Tsar of DDO
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 4:44:33 PM
At 12/15/2014 4:24:24 PM, Envisage wrote:

Anyone game?

Holy f*ck. I am not reading a 500 page report just to find out what I am debating (!).

It's actually 528 pages. You ought to get the ball rolling because that seems like a lot of reading.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 4:50:12 PM
At 12/15/2014 4:44:09 PM, YYW wrote:

e.g.?

(sorry, I'm not normally this lazy and would go research myself, but just finished my last final and my brain is fried, and you seem to have a good handle on this, so.... easier to get a recap from you than read 10 news articles).
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 4:53:49 PM
At 12/15/2014 4:50:12 PM, bluesteel wrote:

e.g.?

(sorry, I'm not normally this lazy and would go research myself, but just finished my last final and my brain is fried, and you seem to have a good handle on this, so.... easier to get a recap from you than read 10 news articles).

I just did the same and mine is too.

http://www.vice.com...
Tsar of DDO
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 4:56:06 PM
At 12/15/2014 4:53:49 PM, YYW wrote:

e.g.?

lol ... fair.

YAY PICTURES. That I can handle.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 4:57:40 PM
At 12/15/2014 4:56:06 PM, bluesteel wrote:

e.g.?

lol ... fair.

Illustrations do have a way of getting the point across... but yeah... I think this is probably worse than Abu Gr.
Tsar of DDO
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 5:08:03 PM
At 12/15/2014 4:57:40 PM, YYW wrote:
At 12/15/2014 4:56:06 PM, bluesteel wrote:

e.g.?

lol ... fair.

Illustrations do have a way of getting the point across... but yeah... I think this is probably worse than Abu Gr.

It got blocked by my web filter.... not a good sign O_o
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 5:15:54 PM

Anyone game?

I'm not interested in debating you on this, but I'm definitely interested in reading the report. Would you mind sharing it with me in a PM?

I've always been on the fence when it comes to torture, it's hard to see the results when I've never been exposed to it myself, aside from Hollywood films or Liveleak.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 5:16:37 PM

Anyone game?

Oops, you can ignore the last comment asking if you'd send it to me via PM, lol.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 5:37:14 PM
This is a debate I would be interested to read. I'm neutral. Please PM me a link if/when it is finished :)
President of DDO
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 5:42:58 PM

Anyone game?

I'm up for it.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 5:47:11 PM

Anyone game?

Ok... let's see here.

In light of the shocking CIA report (which Dick Cheney defended) we see that...

-Torture did not work/was not needed in various cases
-Innocent people have died/ are at risk of dying due to torture
-The manner of torture is absolutely horrific- it goes against the constitution in pretty much every way
-There was no evidence that torture helped unlock vital secrets
-Dick Cheney said the report was "full of crap."

You have five very solid reasons against torture, all stemming from the official CIA report.
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 5:49:41 PM
I'm not really interested, but if I took this debate I would argue extraordinary rendition. If the CIA doesn't torture, we just send the captives off to other countries to be tortured.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 6:08:42 PM

Anyone game?

Your premise is a little skewed in your favor bc most of the people defending the CIA claim many of the facts in the report regarding efficacy are untrue.

I would take this debate but probably not with the handicap of having to concede the reports conclusion that torture is not a useful way of obtaining intelligence.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 8:17:22 PM
At 12/15/2014 5:49:41 PM, thett3 wrote:
I'm not really interested, but if I took this debate I would argue extraordinary rendition. If the CIA doesn't torture, we just send the captives off to other countries to be tortured.

You're in favor of ex. rendition?
Tsar of DDO
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 8:18:27 PM
At 12/15/2014 8:17:22 PM, YYW wrote:

No. I would argue it's worse than the CIA torture, so having the CIA do it is overall better.

But that's not an argument I believe in or want to make
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 8:20:06 PM
At 12/15/2014 8:18:27 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 12/15/2014 8:17:22 PM, YYW wrote:

No. I would argue it's worse than the CIA torture, so having the CIA do it is overall better.

But that's not an argument I believe in or want to make

I can understand that... at some point we can chat via PM about how I think the CIA should have operated, but that's not the kind of thing I want to talk about in the forums.

Although as between torture and rendition, I generally agree with you.
Tsar of DDO
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 8:23:35 PM

Anyone game?

I'm okay with psychological torture... Things don't don't leave scars or permanent physical damage or disability. Anything that physically harms someone is out of the picture. I can't justify a world where we let our people get hurt or endanger our citizens and soldiers because we don't think hurting the bad guy is very nice, though.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --