Jump to topic:

Campaign To Bring The Rape Battle to the HoF

Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 5:54:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I believe Wylted's (in)famous rape battle should be indicted into the hall of fame:
http://www.debate.org...

This debate is a perfect example of the fine balance of controversy, notoriety, moreover this single debate sparked at least a dozen threads (all of which has hundreds of posts) debating DDO policy and highlighted what DDO stood for, which is a free exchange of ideas regardless of their comtroversy.

To quote Elevyn Hall on free speech:

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

I feel this debate really hammer this point home here on DDO, where social conventions of disgust are demonstrated as arbitary and subject to scrutiny in discourse no matter how strongly that belief is held.

Thus if you value discourse of a range of ideas, which may border from controversial, to mainstream, then you should indict this debate into the HoF, as this debate did so much for that cause.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 5:55:58 PM
Inb4 a sh1z storm with a dozen threads...
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 6:13:44 PM
At 12/15/2014 6:08:50 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 12/15/2014 6:07:28 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
No.

Yes.

This isn't a topic up for discussion. That debate was one of the worst things to ever happen to the site. Airmax got me a sticky thread for fanfics so I'd stop campaigning to get it banned.
On your end, way to undercut Mikal's attempts to welcome new members by showing them how we as a site love endorsing the mockery of rape victims, like Wylted did.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 6:17:40 PM
At 12/15/2014 6:13:44 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
No.

Yes.

This isn't a topic up for discussion. That debate was one of the worst things to ever happen to the site. Airmax got me a sticky thread for fanfics so I'd stop campaigning to get it banned.
On your end, way to undercut Mikal's attempts to welcome new members by showing them how we as a site love endorsing the mockery of rape victims, like Wylted did.

I am showing new members they are welcome to debate and discuss whatever they like,never if what they want to debate is viewed as 'highly controversial'. So in my defence, I am doing Miikal a favor. Not that I particularly care about Mikal's attempts.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 6:19:45 PM
At 12/15/2014 6:17:40 PM, Envisage wrote:
No.

Yes.

I am showing new members they are welcome to debate and discuss whatever they like,never if what they want to debate is viewed as 'highly controversial'. So in my defence, I am doing Miikal a favor. Not that I particularly care about Mikal's attempts.

They're free to discuss rape. They're not free to mock rape victims.
No, I don't suppose you care much about anyone's attempts at anything, being a nihilist and all.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 6:23:04 PM
I completely disagree with this.

The fact that the debate still exists (the fact that I didn't delete it) shows that we value freedom of expression on this site. We don't need to reward trash to show that the trash is allowed to exist (and by extension our values of freedom of speech).

I value the discussion that came about due to the debate, but I certainly do NOT wish to see this debate in the Hall of Fame.

There are many other worthy choices that don't reward "shock value" for the sake of it, and don't promote the most negative aspects of this debate.

I urge everyone to nominate something else.
Debate.org Moderator
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 6:24:18 PM
At 12/15/2014 5:54:07 PM, Envisage wrote:

NO
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 6:24:34 PM
At 12/15/2014 6:23:04 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

The fact that the debate still exists (the fact that I didn't delete it) shows that we value freedom of expression on this site. We don't need to reward trash to show that the trash is allowed to exist (and by extension our values of freedom of speech).

I value the discussion that came about due to the debate, but I certainly do NOT wish to see this debate in the Hall of Fame.

There are many other worthy choices that don't reward "shock value" for the sake of it, and don't promote the most negative aspects of this debate.

+1
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 6:24:46 PM
At 12/15/2014 6:19:45 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
No.

Yes.

No, I don't suppose you care much about anyone's attempts at anything, being a nihilist and all.

Why are they not free to mock rape victims? Because you might be 'offended' by it? Because your feelings will get hurt? Sounds petty to me, it's this expression of free speech which is why we should indict this debate into the HOF because it highlights how our preference for free speech still overrides common disgust.

You make some big claims "worst thing to happen to the site" but all I have seen you do it apply your own subjective disgusts and dislikes and preferences to the situation thinking they are some fundemental truth. I find such rather laughable.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 6:25:47 PM
No.

Yes.

This makes it sound like I offered you quid pro quo to stop hassling me (or campaigning against the debate) which is 100% false. In the course of you insulting me, one of your insults included something about the fan fics, so I suggested an idea that you could help me with... that is all that happened here.

Ultimately, while I disagree with you that the debate should be removed, I entirely agree with you that it shouldn't be voted into the hall of fame.
Debate.org Moderator
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 6:26:07 PM
At 12/15/2014 6:24:46 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 12/15/2014 6:19:45 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
No.

Yes.

Why are they not free to mock rape victims? Because you might be 'offended' by it? Because your feelings will get hurt? Sounds petty to me, it's this expression of free speech which is why we should indict this debate into the HOF because it highlights how our preference for free speech still overrides common disgust.

Guess what? DDO is a private site. There is no right to free speech.

You make some big claims "worst thing to happen to the site" but all I have seen you do it apply your own subjective disgusts and dislikes and preferences to the situation thinking they are some fundemental truth. I find such rather laughable.

Good thing I didn't claim it was the worst thing but rather, one of the worst things, then.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 6:27:03 PM
At 12/15/2014 6:25:47 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
No.

Yes.

This makes it sound like I offered you quid pro quo to stop hassling me (or campaigning against the debate) which is 100% false. In the course of you insulting me, one of your insults included something about the fan fics, so I suggested an idea that you could help me with... that is all that happened here.

Come on, Airmax. I know a quid pro quo when I see one.

Ultimately, while I disagree with you that the debate should be removed, I entirely agree with you that it shouldn't be voted into the hall of fame.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 6:32:18 PM

I disagree it's trash. But this opinion either way is necessarily subjective anyway.

Why not? If it add a massive impact on values you positively hold, then surely it fulfils the criteria of 'fame', given the debate is certainly infamous,

Fair enough.

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 6:34:31 PM
At 12/15/2014 6:27:03 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
No.

Yes.

I don't believe that at any point I asked you to stop campaigning, nor did I offer you something to stop. I think you overestimate my concern with your campaign, versus my concern with a clearly upset young man.
Debate.org Moderator
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 6:35:42 PM
At 12/15/2014 6:34:31 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
No.

Yes.

I don't believe that at any point I asked you to stop campaigning, nor did I offer you something to stop. I think you overestimate my concern with your campaign, versus my concern with a clearly upset young man.

mm-hmm.
(You realise I'm not serious about this part, right?)
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 6:43:59 PM
At 12/15/2014 6:32:18 PM, Envisage wrote:

I disagree it's trash. But this opinion either way is necessarily subjective anyway.

Sure, this entire thing is subjective.

Why not? If it add a massive impact on values you positively hold, then surely it fulfils the criteria of 'fame', given the debate is certainly infamous,

It's about rewarding speech that was intentionally meant to be controversial. I don't believe we need to do that. I believe it actually sends a negative message to do so, and I believe that there are better choices.

Ultimately, you are correct on these two major points. The debate reflects our values of free expression, the debate is qualified to enter the Hall of Fame due to it's infamous nature.

I think we have a greater duty now to make an expression against "shock value" trash, by not electing it into the Hall of Fame. The debate will still exist (reflecting our values), but ultimately, and more importantly, disapproval (for those who do) will be expressed by not rewarding the debate itself.
Debate.org Moderator
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 6:44:30 PM
No.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 6:45:22 PM
At 12/15/2014 6:35:42 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
No.

Yes.

mm-hmm.

Well fair enough then, I think you misrepresented me, but I apologize if I came of as overly harsh in my response to that.
Debate.org Moderator
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 6:46:16 PM
At 12/15/2014 6:45:22 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 12/15/2014 6:35:42 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
No.

Yes.

mm-hmm.

Well fair enough then, I think you misrepresented me, but I apologize if I came of as overly harsh in my response to that.

Yes. That was the joke, Bladerunner.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 6:53:18 PM

How do you feel about Izbo in the hall of fame?
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 6:53:38 PM
Absolutely not. That "Debate" was one of the most disgusting and despicable things to ever plague this website. To induct it into the hall of fame would be the lowest stoop in the history of this website.

Remember that some of us still value the idea of being nice people.
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 7:08:08 PM
At 12/15/2014 6:53:18 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

I'd like to think we'd only vote in "good" members but I realize that "Fame" doesn't necessarily translate that way. So I question the wisdom of it, but I'm not that strongly opinionated on it.

Ultimately, this doesn't matter a whole lot, but I do wish that we would choose to reward and present excellence (as subjective as that is), as opposed to whatever the controversial topic of the (former) moment is.
Debate.org Moderator
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 7:15:04 PM
At 12/15/2014 7:08:08 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

I'd like to think we'd only vote in "good" members but I realize that "Fame" doesn't necessarily translate that way. So I question the wisdom of it, but I'm not that strongly opinionated on it.

Ultimately, this doesn't matter a whole lot, but I do wish that we would choose to reward and present excellence (as subjective as that is), as opposed to whatever the controversial topic of the (former) moment is.

I mean, as I'm sure you know, Izbo was one of the most toxic members on the site. It just seems out of proportion to boycott the HOF because of this debate and to not raise any concern over a member who personally harassed countless others.

Disclaimer: I'm not defending anything here, and I actually wish that I could retract my vote for Izbo.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 7:17:34 PM
At 12/15/2014 7:15:04 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 12/15/2014 7:08:08 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

I mean, as I'm sure you know, Izbo was one of the most toxic members on the site. It just seems out of proportion to boycott the HOF because of this debate and to not raise any concern over a member who personally harassed countless others.

Disclaimer: I'm not defending anything here, and I actually wish that I could retract my vote for Izbo.

Well agree or disagree, that's in the past now... all I can do is state my opinion on a current issue in the hopes that some might agree with my position.
Debate.org Moderator
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 7:45:41 PM
I believe Wylted's (in)famous rape battle should be indicted into the hall of fame:

This debate is a perfect example of the fine balance of controversy, notoriety, moreover this single debate sparked at least a dozen threads (all of which has hundreds of posts) debating DDO policy and highlighted what DDO stood for, which is a free exchange of ideas regardless of their comtroversy.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Why do I suspect you credited that quote to somebody other than the original speaker of it?

I thought it was Voltaire?

I feel this debate really hammer this point home here on DDO, where social conventions of disgust are demonstrated as arbitary and subject to scrutiny in discourse no matter how strongly that belief is held.

Thus if you value discourse of a range of ideas, which may border from controversial, to mainstream, then you should indict this debate into the HoF, as this debate did so much for that cause.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 7:49:55 PM
At 12/15/2014 7:45:41 PM, Wylted wrote:

Why do I suspect you credited that quote to somebody other than the original speaker of it?

I thought it was Voltaire?
It wasn't Voltaire. It's one of the most mis-attributed quotes I've seen, actually. I'm on my phone so I'm not going to get a source, but just look it up on wiki quote or something like that.

#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 7:50:18 PM
No.

Yes.

You're such a crybaby. I should've screen shotted Airmax's wall. You were begging him to remove that.

I'm more likely to have got Airmax to remove that. Why not just PM me your case as to why it should be removed?

If I thought that debate was harmful in the least, I'd beg Max to remove it, but nobody made a good case for that.