Total Posts:20|Showing Posts:1-20
Jump to topic:

Football Debate

Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2014 6:09:04 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I'm sick of this crap. There is only one word for American football, which is the word football. There are 2 words for soccer which is football and soccer. The logical thing to do would be to just use the word soccer to avoid confusion. Why the hell do you guys cling to the word football, just drop it.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2014 6:15:01 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/16/2014 6:09:04 AM, Wylted wrote:
I'm sick of this crap. There is only one word for American football, which is the word football. There are 2 words for soccer which is football and soccer. The logical thing to do would be to just use the word soccer to avoid confusion. Why the hell do you guys cling to the word football, just drop it.
Gridiron is another word for it. Not to mention the name football was first used for soccer, whereas American Football could simply have been named Rugby or Gridiron. I refuse to call it soccer all the time just because one or two countries can't recognize what game is actually played with feet.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2014 6:20:53 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/16/2014 6:15:01 AM, Mirza wrote:
At 12/16/2014 6:09:04 AM, Wylted wrote:
I'm sick of this crap. There is only one word for American football, which is the word football. There are 2 words for soccer which is football and soccer. The logical thing to do would be to just use the word soccer to avoid confusion. Why the hell do you guys cling to the word football, just drop it.
Gridiron is another word for it. Not to mention the name football was first used for soccer, whereas American Football could simply have been named Rugby or Gridiron. I refuse to call it soccer all the time just because one or two countries can't recognize what game is actually played with feet.

We don't have the best educational system, just give us this.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2014 6:22:41 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/16/2014 6:20:53 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 12/16/2014 6:15:01 AM, Mirza wrote:
At 12/16/2014 6:09:04 AM, Wylted wrote:
I'm sick of this crap. There is only one word for American football, which is the word football. There are 2 words for soccer which is football and soccer. The logical thing to do would be to just use the word soccer to avoid confusion. Why the hell do you guys cling to the word football, just drop it.
Gridiron is another word for it. Not to mention the name football was first used for soccer, whereas American Football could simply have been named Rugby or Gridiron. I refuse to call it soccer all the time just because one or two countries can't recognize what game is actually played with feet.

We don't have the best educational system, just give us this.
You can always import Canada's.
TN05
Posts: 4,492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2014 8:41:33 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/16/2014 6:15:01 AM, Mirza wrote:
At 12/16/2014 6:09:04 AM, Wylted wrote:
I'm sick of this crap. There is only one word for American football, which is the word football. There are 2 words for soccer which is football and soccer. The logical thing to do would be to just use the word soccer to avoid confusion. Why the hell do you guys cling to the word football, just drop it.
Gridiron is another word for it. Not to mention the name football was first used for soccer, whereas American Football could simply have been named Rugby or Gridiron. I refuse to call it soccer all the time just because one or two countries can't recognize what game is actually played with feet.

The word 'football' does not mean that it is 'played with the feet'; it means 'played on the feet' (as opposed to other sports, which were played on horse). Any sport played with a ball, on foot, with at least part of the game being about scoring goals has a credible claim to the word.

If you want to just go by most accurate names, a better name for soccer would be 'kickball'.
TN05
Posts: 4,492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2014 8:45:15 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/16/2014 6:15:01 AM, Mirza wrote:
just because one or two countries can't recognize what game is actually played with feet.

This map disagrees:

https://en.wikipedia.org...

The only major English-speaking country to use the word 'football' is the UK. US, Canada, Australia, and Ireland call it 'soccer'. If you go strictly by population, the terms are fairly equally used.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2014 8:52:37 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/16/2014 8:41:33 AM, TN05 wrote:
The word 'football' does not mean that it is 'played with the feet'; it means 'played on the feet' (as opposed to other sports, which were played on horse). Any sport played with a ball, on foot, with at least part of the game being about scoring goals has a credible claim to the word.
At no point did I suggest American Football does not have a credible claim to the name. Our perception, however, suggests that soccer is more of a game that should be associated with the use of feet than American Football, which is why the best thing would be to change the name of AF rather than soccer, if anything should be changed at all.

If you want to just go by most accurate names, a better name for soccer would be 'kickball'.
Forget the origin of the word football for a moment; terms change with time, and today, the term is heavily associated with playing the ball on feet, just like "handball" is directly associated with playing a sport using hands. Soccer should not be called kickball for the reason you hold on to. It should be called football.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2014 8:57:08 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/16/2014 8:45:15 AM, TN05 wrote:
This map disagrees:

https://en.wikipedia.org...

The only major English-speaking country to use the word 'football' is the UK. US, Canada, Australia, and Ireland call it 'soccer'. If you go strictly by population, the terms are fairly equally used.
No, it doesn't. We don't have to judge by what English-speaking countries seem to think; innumerable other countries associate the English term "football" with soccer, even if they barely know English at all, or follow the sport. Moreover, other languages have very similar terms for the sport, even if they are not necessarily very closely related to one another. For instance, Germans call it "Fussball," Yugoslav countries call it "fudbal" [taken from English/German] and "Nogomet" directly translated to English as "foot-" (not sure on the word "met;" probably means "game"], Danes call it "fodbold;" I can go on for a while. The perception matters, and the word fits perfectly.
TN05
Posts: 4,492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2014 9:00:36 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/16/2014 8:57:08 AM, Mirza wrote:
At 12/16/2014 8:45:15 AM, TN05 wrote:
This map disagrees:

https://en.wikipedia.org...

The only major English-speaking country to use the word 'football' is the UK. US, Canada, Australia, and Ireland call it 'soccer'. If you go strictly by population, the terms are fairly equally used.
No, it doesn't. We don't have to judge by what English-speaking countries seem to think; innumerable other countries associate the English term "football" with soccer, even if they barely know English at all, or follow the sport. Moreover, other languages have very similar terms for the sport, even if they are not necessarily very closely related to one another. For instance, Germans call it "Fussball," Yugoslav countries call it "fudbal" [taken from English/German] and "Nogomet" directly translated to English as "foot-" (not sure on the word "met;" probably means "game"], Danes call it "fodbold;" I can go on for a while. The perception matters, and the word fits perfectly.

Ah, but there's the problem - the word is English. Seeing how English-speaking countries call it is actually quite fair, in my opinion.
TN05
Posts: 4,492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2014 9:03:32 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/16/2014 8:52:37 AM, Mirza wrote:
At 12/16/2014 8:41:33 AM, TN05 wrote:
The word 'football' does not mean that it is 'played with the feet'; it means 'played on the feet' (as opposed to other sports, which were played on horse). Any sport played with a ball, on foot, with at least part of the game being about scoring goals has a credible claim to the word.
At no point did I suggest American Football does not have a credible claim to the name. Our perception, however, suggests that soccer is more of a game that should be associated with the use of feet than American Football, which is why the best thing would be to change the name of AF rather than soccer, if anything should be changed at all.

I don't think either needs to be changed, personally. People can call them whatever they want. I just get irritated when people suggest football should change its name to something asinine like handegg.

If you want to just go by most accurate names, a better name for soccer would be 'kickball'.
Forget the origin of the word football for a moment; terms change with time, and today, the term is heavily associated with playing the ball on feet, just like "handball" is directly associated with playing a sport using hands. Soccer should not be called kickball for the reason you hold on to. It should be called football.

Sure. But there are many ball sports the involve the feet to some degree, and they all claim the name 'football'. My point is, more or less, they have just as credible a claim to the name.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2014 9:05:18 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/16/2014 9:00:36 AM, TN05 wrote:
Ah, but there's the problem - the word is English. Seeing how English-speaking countries call it is actually quite fair, in my opinion.
Different cultures can name it whatever they wish. My opinion is, however, that we best perceive soccer as football, and American Football as a type of much more physical, Rugby-style sport, which means that if anything, the best choice would be to change AF to something else. While the English-speaking countries may differ on the term, it stands clear as to what we perceive soccer as, nevertheless.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2014 9:06:50 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/16/2014 9:03:32 AM, TN05 wrote:
I don't think either needs to be changed, personally. People can call them whatever they want. I just get irritated when people suggest football should change its name to something asinine like handegg.

If you want to just go by most accurate names, a better name for soccer would be 'kickball'.
Forget the origin of the word football for a moment; terms change with time, and today, the term is heavily associated with playing the ball on feet, just like "handball" is directly associated with playing a sport using hands. Soccer should not be called kickball for the reason you hold on to. It should be called football.

Sure. But there are many ball sports the involve the feet to some degree, and they all claim the name 'football'. My point is, more or less, they have just as credible a claim to the name.
They do, but I can't think of many involving them as much as soccer. I'd be glad if you could refer me to them. As for the name - I agree.
YYW
Posts: 36,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2014 9:07:28 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
There are some soccer players who are cute... particularly if we're talking about college soccer.
Tsar of DDO
fazz
Posts: 1,617
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2014 9:18:47 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/16/2014 9:00:36 AM, TN05 wrote:
At 12/16/2014 8:57:08 AM, Mirza wrote:
At 12/16/2014 8:45:15 AM, TN05 wrote:
This map disagrees:

https://en.wikipedia.org...

The only major English-speaking country to use the word 'football' is the UK. US, Canada, Australia, and Ireland call it 'soccer'. If you go strictly by population, the terms are fairly equally used.
No, it doesn't. We don't have to judge by what English-speaking countries seem to think; innumerable other countries associate the English term "football" with soccer, even if they barely know English at all, or follow the sport. Moreover, other languages have very similar terms for the sport, even if they are not necessarily very closely related to one another. For instance, Germans call it "Fussball," Yugoslav countries call it "fudbal" [taken from English/German] and "Nogomet" directly translated to English as "foot-" (not sure on the word "met;" probably means "game"], Danes call it "fodbold;" I can go on for a while. The perception matters, and the word fits perfectly.

Ah, but there's the problem - the word is English. Seeing how English-speaking countries call it is actually quite fair, in my opinion.

Yes, but the word Football originated in 1280. While "soccer" is just a slang, swear-word, on the word Oxford (no clue how though?). But saying the word is English is a moot point. It is the etymology that matters, ie. on foot. If a german wanted to say "on foot" he wouldn't say football but a translation of the English word. I don't understand how Football is a universal game but only English people get to call it what it is. I say what?
fazz
Posts: 1,617
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2014 9:23:06 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/16/2014 9:18:47 AM, fazz wrote:
At 12/16/2014 9:00:36 AM, TN05 wrote:
At 12/16/2014 8:57:08 AM, Mirza wrote:
At 12/16/2014 8:45:15 AM, TN05 wrote:
This map disagrees:

https://en.wikipedia.org...
^Your map is also a made up map. Nobody in India knows the word soccer. I have always used the word Football. And half the map is grey... Nobody speaks english in the EU outside of London?

The only major English-speaking country to use the word 'football' is the UK. US, Canada, Australia, and Ireland call it 'soccer'. If you go strictly by population, the terms are fairly equally used.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2014 9:25:27 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/16/2014 9:18:47 AM, fazz wrote:
Yes, but the word Football originated in 1280. While "soccer" is just a slang, swear-word, on the word Oxford (no clue how though?). But saying the word is English is a moot point. It is the etymology that matters, ie. on foot. If a german wanted to say "on foot" he wouldn't say football but a translation of the English word. I don't understand how Football is a universal game but only English people get to call it what it is. I say what?
Even disregarding the origin of the term, it is apparent that our perception immediately suggests soccer is football, while AF is not.
fazz
Posts: 1,617
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2014 9:49:37 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/16/2014 9:25:27 AM, Mirza wrote:
At 12/16/2014 9:18:47 AM, fazz wrote:
Yes, but the word Football originated in 1280. While "soccer" is just a slang, swear-word, on the word Oxford (no clue how though?). But saying the word is English is a moot point. It is the etymology that matters, ie. on foot. If a german wanted to say "on foot" he wouldn't say football but a translation of the English word. I don't understand how Football is a universal game but only English people get to call it what it is. I say what?
Even disregarding the origin of the term, it is apparent that our perception immediately suggests soccer is football, while AF is not.

Yes, soccer is a slang derivation of the word football.
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2014 10:23:51 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/16/2014 6:20:53 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 12/16/2014 6:15:01 AM, Mirza wrote:
At 12/16/2014 6:09:04 AM, Wylted wrote:
I'm sick of this crap. There is only one word for American football, which is the word football. There are 2 words for soccer which is football and soccer. The logical thing to do would be to just use the word soccer to avoid confusion. Why the hell do you guys cling to the word football, just drop it.
Gridiron is another word for it. Not to mention the name football was first used for soccer, whereas American Football could simply have been named Rugby or Gridiron. I refuse to call it soccer all the time just because one or two countries can't recognize what game is actually played with feet.

We don't have the best educational system, just give us this.

lol, debate Mirza on whether it's permissible to call soccer "football" :P

I'd read that debate
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)