Jump to topic:

Debate rating

SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2014 11:12:25 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
As someone who is horrible at debating, but trying to improve, I have thought of an idea.

While getting votes on your debate is important, it does not really do much to help you improve. Yes, a good RFD can give you some ideas on what you need to work on, but not always.

I also understand that you can look at great debates out there (DDO Hall of Fame), but that won't necessarily do much either (as you can have a different style of debating).

The idea is to have your debate get rated. Not if the debate itself was good (one person could do good while the opponent sucks), but if you are doing a good job making a debate.

There are four areas in which I think could be rated (you say how well they were out of 10, say what was done well, what could be improved on):
1) Grammar and spelling
2) Arguments and rebuttals
3) Sources
4) Format

***Grammar and Spelling***

You could rate the grammar and spelling, maybe point out some flaws that are consistent (if they keep using the wrong "your/you're", "there/their/they're", "then/than", etc.).

***Arguments and rebuttals***

Rate how well they made arguments and rebuttals. Point out what they did well (did they do a good job with formulating?), and point out what could be improved on.

***Sources***

Rate the quality of the sources. Point out which ones are of good quality, which were not so good. Maybe recommend where/how to find good quality sources.

***Format***

Rate the format. Was it decently formatted? Did they forget to break it up into multiple paragraphs? Give tips on what could improve the format.

With this, you would not just be able to get votes to win a debate, but hopefully get quality information on how to improve your debates.

How this would get implemented (if people like the idea) is something I do not yet know, but I still think that this is a good idea to at least think about.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
kawaii_crazy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2014 11:16:51 PM
At 12/16/2014 11:12:25 PM, SNP1 wrote:
As someone who is horrible at debating, but trying to improve, I have thought of an idea.

While getting votes on your debate is important, it does not really do much to help you improve. Yes, a good RFD can give you some ideas on what you need to work on, but not always.

I also understand that you can look at great debates out there (DDO Hall of Fame), but that won't necessarily do much either (as you can have a different style of debating).

The idea is to have your debate get rated. Not if the debate itself was good (one person could do good while the opponent sucks), but if you are doing a good job making a debate.

There are four areas in which I think could be rated (you say how well they were out of 10, say what was done well, what could be improved on):
1) Grammar and spelling
3) Sources
4) Format

You could rate the grammar and spelling, maybe point out some flaws that are consistent (if they keep using the wrong "your/you're", "there/their/they're", "then/than", etc.).

Rate how well they made arguments and rebuttals. Point out what they did well (did they do a good job with formulating?), and point out what could be improved on.

***Sources***

Rate the quality of the sources. Point out which ones are of good quality, which were not so good. Maybe recommend where/how to find good quality sources.

***Format***

Rate the format. Was it decently formatted? Did they forget to break it up into multiple paragraphs? Give tips on what could improve the format.

With this, you would not just be able to get votes to win a debate, but hopefully get quality information on how to improve your debates.

How this would get implemented (if people like the idea) is something I do not yet know, but I still think that this is a good idea to at least think about.

I think the idea of debate rating is a great one. I actually put in valid reasons for my voting choices when voting on debates. For example, if I put that Pro had better arguments and spelling & grammar, in my reason for voting, I point out a few flaws in Con's grammar and/or provide examples of places in which Pro made very good points. Sadly, many people do no do this. In debates where a reason for voting is required, I often find people simply writing something like "Pro was better" or "Con FF." With debate rating, the debaters would actually be able to build on others' ideas, receive advice on how to debate better, and be able to improve their debating skills.
"Being called weird is like being called Limited Edition. Meaning you're something people don't see that often." -Ashley Purdy

Please help raise money for a Christmas gift for airmax (although he is Jewish, as YYW pointed out). He is in desperate need of a new laptop, and he has done so much for this site; he certainly deserves one. :)
http://www.debate.org...
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 12:50:22 AM
At 12/16/2014 11:12:25 PM, SNP1 wrote:

1) Grammar and spelling
3) Sources
4) Format

***Sources***

***Format***

I like that you want to improve. I think it would be more helpful to you to have a mentor who looks over your argument before you post it and makes specific suggestions on formatting, arguments, and research. Getting told you did bad at formatting, not just bad enough to lose the debate, isn't that helpful without advice on how to improve. Only if you get good RFD's about formatting with specific advice would it be helpful. I think a mentor program or looking for an informal mentor is a more direct solution.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 1:00:07 AM
This does lead to a bigger question though. There are a variety of things that get debates to the front pages. If it is a problem that too many debates aren't quality for the front pages than rather than a simple like "yes or no" we can rate it out of 5. The ones with the highest ratings get on the front.
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 2:22:13 AM
At 12/17/2014 2:10:47 AM, Wylted wrote:
A good RFF should give both debators advice on how to improve in my opinion.

How many people make good ones?
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 2:28:43 AM
At 12/17/2014 2:22:13 AM, SNP1 wrote:
At 12/17/2014 2:10:47 AM, Wylted wrote:
A good RFF should give both debators advice on how to improve in my opinion.

How many people make good ones?

a good amount of the debators above 4,000 ELO are capable of it. Only about 3 or 4 of them do. It might not be a bad ideal to push them to give more detail of their RFDs aren't good enough for you to use as advice.

You just need to push them while keeping in mind that they may not be part of th "good amount", capable of an RFD that helps you to improve.

Everybody above 5,000 ELO can probably, legitamately give you advice that can benefit you after reading one of your debates (now that Stalin is gone).