Jump to topic:

Presentation of Debate Topics

Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 11:56:40 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I'm pretty new to this site, and am still getting a grasp of the established social norms, but I'm struggling with the fact that most debate topics are presented in the form of a question. Unless it's rhetorical or sarcastic, a question indicates uncertainty. Why would someone initiate a debate with which they are uncertain?

Instead of asking, "Should 10 year old kids be allowed to drive?" Should it not be made as an assertive statement. "The legal driving age in America should be 10."

Mind you, I don't believe it's a big deal, I just find it perplexing.
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 12:53:33 PM
At 12/17/2014 11:56:40 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
I'm pretty new to this site, and am still getting a grasp of the established social norms, but I'm struggling with the fact that most debate topics are presented in the form of a question. Unless it's rhetorical or sarcastic, a question indicates uncertainty. Why would someone initiate a debate with which they are uncertain?

It's just a noob thing. Most established debaters know better than to pose a question in the form of a debate resolution. In most cases, you can suggest they delete the debate and pose the question in the forums or poll sections.

Instead of asking, "Should 10 year old kids be allowed to drive?" Should it not be made as an assertive statement. "The legal driving age in America should be 10."

Yes, it should. You are absolutely correct in this regard.

It is indeed perplexing, but mostly attributed to the instigators lack of knowledge regarding proper debate formatting and setting up a resolution while taking a solid position.

I wouldn't pay it too much mind, there are plenty of good debates ripe for the taking aside from just those.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 12:54:19 PM

It's more so to do with lack of formal debate on the site and new users doing it.

Just take it and work with it the best you can

If you see a res like

"Should cars go fast"

You are con, you are arguing for neg. That is about the only way to handle it as debate topics are open
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 1:24:55 PM
At 12/17/2014 12:53:33 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

It's just a noob thing. Most established debaters know better than to pose a question in the form of a debate resolution. In most cases, you can suggest they delete the debate and pose the question in the forums or poll sections.

It is indeed perplexing, but mostly attributed to the instigators lack of knowledge regarding proper debate formatting and setting up a resolution while taking a solid position.

I wouldn't pay it too much mind, there are plenty of good debates ripe for the taking aside from just those.

Thank you for your reply. I must confess that I am also a bit ignorant as to the proper rules of debate, and will therefore debate as an amateur when I am accepted to challenge a topic for which I have adequate knowledge. Some topics are inane, and others beyond my comprehension, so I may need to allow myself a bit of time to grow comfortable here.
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 1:27:29 PM
At 12/17/2014 12:54:19 PM, Mikal wrote:

It's more so to do with lack of formal debate on the site and new users doing it.

If you see a res like

"Should cars go fast"

You are con, you are arguing for neg. That is about the only way to handle it as debate topics are open

I have little room to talk as I may prove to be guilty of that "lack" myself. I appreciate the advice.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 1:30:39 PM
At 12/17/2014 1:24:55 PM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:

Thank you for your reply. I must confess that I am also a bit ignorant as to the proper rules of debate, and will therefore debate as an amateur when I am accepted to challenge a topic for which I have adequate knowledge. Some topics are inane, and others beyond my comprehension, so I may need to allow myself a bit of time to grow comfortable here.

That's perfectly understandable. You'll most certainly learn as you go, with hands-on experience serving as one of the best teachers here on DDO. Additionally, we have several excellent debaters here who would be more than happy to mentor you. If you give me the go-ahead, I'll contact a few of them on your behalf and get you set up with someone who can show you the ropes if you'd ever need.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 1:32:42 PM
At 12/17/2014 1:27:29 PM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:

If you see a res like

"Should cars go fast"

I have little room to talk as I may prove to be guilty of that "lack" myself. I appreciate the advice.

Its very easy to learn buddy :)

everyone on here is more than willing to help in any way they can, always feel free to ask
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 1:38:27 PM
At 12/17/2014 1:30:39 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

That's perfectly understandable. You'll most certainly learn as you go, with hands-on experience serving as one of the best teachers here on DDO. Additionally, we have several excellent debaters here who would be more than happy to mentor you. If you give me the go-ahead, I'll contact a few of them on your behalf and get you set up with someone who can show you the ropes if you'd ever need.

I appreciate that, but my wife might have something to say about me spending too much time on this site. For now I'll read the better debates, as I have been, but I won't hesitate to ask questions that will help me to conform to the higher standards of this site.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 1:39:29 PM
At 12/17/2014 1:32:42 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 12/17/2014 1:27:29 PM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:

If you see a res like

"Should cars go fast"

Its very easy to learn buddy :)

everyone on here is more than willing to help in any way they can, always feel free to ask

So I've noticed. It's nice to know. Thank you.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 1:46:17 PM
At 12/17/2014 1:38:27 PM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 12/17/2014 1:30:39 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

I appreciate that, but my wife might have something to say about me spending too much time on this site. For now I'll read the better debates, as I have been, but I won't hesitate to ask questions that will help me to conform to the higher standards of this site.

Haha fair enough :)

My inbox is always open, so please feel free to send me a PM whenever and I'd gladly help out in any way possible.